Terraria 8th Anniversary Lore Event

People seem very keen to point out holes in this, but all of the supposed holes are quite easy to patch without contradicting this lore in any way.

1. How do the corruption, the crimson, and the hallow serve balance?
First, remember that balance here means "fairness for all living creatures", not balance between light and dark or good and evil or order and chaos.
The corruption and crimson both exploit a loophole in this definition. The corruption, eventually, snuffs out life, which does result in fairness for all living creatures: with no living creatures left, there's nothing to be unfair to, and in the meantime it causes pain to balance out joy. The crimson, meanwhile, assimilates all other life, which will again result in fairness: with only one being, the world must be fair. The hallow is fair and kind to all of its creatures; and therefore it is its duty to spread and overtake the less-fair areas. The dryad sees the hallow as good because it cannot be overtaken by corruption or crimson and is a safe place, in the sense that NPCs can live there and therefore carve out a little patch of security.

2. Why does killing the guide summon the guardian of the world?
The wall of flesh is friends with the guide, so when you kill him with a voodoo doll it gets mad and comes to beat the snot out of you

3. How is skeletron supposed to be part of cthulhu, it's the wrong scale with the eyes and brain?
It's not. Skeletron is its own thing; the part of cthulhu's skeleton that was ripped out was its spine, which became the eater of worlds. Skeletron prime was created as a test, based on the original skeletron.

4. Why does killing the lunatic cultist summon the lunar events?
With his dying words, he calls out to the celestial creatures, knowing they'll invade, as a final act of spite.

5. What's the deal with the moon lord?
He's not cthulhu, but he's something eldritch nonetheless.

6. No indication of the importance/role of dungeon, clothier, mechanic, dryad, etc.
The dungeon is already a mysterious place, and the idea that it was a city is pretty well supported by the sheer amount of furniture inside. The clothier/old man doesn't remember much of being cursed; the mechanic doesn't see fit to mention her role in the creation of the mechanical bosses, but she's the only logical one to do so: the mechanical bosses are far from steampunk, and goblin technology seems to be rather improvised. The dryad mentions being ancient, and she probably considers the whole cthulhu thing something of a sore subject considering her family and friends all died in the process.

7. Doesn't mention the lihzahrds, the jungle temple, or plantera, even though they are very important
The lihzahrds seem to be rather isolationist: when cthulhu ravaged the world, they sealed themselves in their nigh-indestructible temple. The only reason the cultists don't appear until after you've fought golem is to preserve the boss progression; contrary to what seems to be a popular belief, the mysterious tablet doesn't come from the temple. Plantera is a legitimate mystery, but she may just be a natural part of the jungle.

THIS IS SO AWESOME!!! Thank you so much for posting this. I can't wait to mix this with the lore of 8.
[doublepost=1565147615,1565147553][/doublepost]
I'm expecting the Lore of the Red Hat when the 10th anniversary rolls around

Agreed
[doublepost=1565147800][/doublepost]
And with that, I take my leave.

Nice to feel like I wasted 6+ years making my own.

Don't feel that bad. Those 6+ years of lore are your own lore and your own take on Terraria and that's always neat. Just because canon lore is released doesn't make your efforts worthless. Fanon lore is always appreciated and fun to read and write about.

Amazing work Terraria on creating this lore, it’s interesting and unexpected:eek:
Anyways good work Terraria!

no... no... NOOOOOOOO!!! Of all the insignificant fools!!! A LORE?!!! YOU MADE A LORE?!!! THIS IS 2D MINECRAFT, THERE IS NO LORE!!! 10 YEARS OF ACADEMY TRAINING, WASTED!!!!!!

im all about this game, ive killed every mobile boss, survived the pumpkin moon without dying, but i have yet to survive the frost moon. i just want a new mobile update to come out where i can play with other ppl worldwide. im also ecstatic about the release of the lore! keep it up 505!

im all about this game, ive killed every mobile boss, survived the pumpkin moon without dying, but i have yet to survive the frost moon. i just want a new mobile update to come out where i can play with other ppl worldwide. im also ecstatic about the release of the lore! keep it up 505!
Wait so you have or haven't completed the lunar event? They're on mobile now, you should be able to start it at the dungeon entrance.

I got a kickstarter name for a Mech. Brain of Cthulhu. Since it's a brain, and a machine, we can call it the Processor. Attacks include sonic brain waves and the ability to absorb "knowledge particles" that damage the player if it hits them on the way to the brain.

"Processor has awoken!"

To those that don't like the lore, I've got good news. You can ignore the lore! The best part about this is none of this stuff is reinforced in the game itself. So much like Overwatch, you can just forget about all this and make up your own headcanon.

Not that the game ever really needed it to begin with, but this is a nice gesture for those that really have wanted to know more. We shouldn't be tearing this stuff down.
The Bestiary may change that. No guarantee but possible.

The Bestiary may change that. No guarantee but possible.
True, but if it does we can at least hope that it will expand on things in an interesting way, and perhaps clear up some of the stranger inconsistencies. (For example, Skeletron not being too small to be Cthulhu's skeleton, or the Destroyer not making sense as a Cthulhu prosthetic.)

Personally, I think it would have made more sense if the mechanical bosses were instead created to be servants of Cthulhu, meant to help usher in his return, rather than being explicitly intended to replace his missing parts. But I guess fanatical cultists don't much operate on logic.

Mechanical Brain.....? Does this mean we are getting a mech version of the Brain of Cthulu? I hope so because he is the only one missing out on the Hardmode debauchery.

Mechanical Brain.....? Does this mean we are getting a mech version of the Brain of Cthulu? I hope so because he is the only one missing out on the Hardmode debauchery.
I suppose you think that the queen bee needs a mechanical form too -_-

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom