tModLoader Terraria Ambience Mod

RighteousRyan

Terrarian
Terraria Ambience Mod
icon.png

Summary

The Terraria Ambience Mod is a mod that adds a lot of life to your Terraria world. Since Terraria didn't really bother adding a lot of sounds themselves, I decided to step up to the plate and make my own mod for these things. It adds unique sounds for every biome (except for the Hallow. What does the hallow have that could be ambient?).

The Ambience and Sounds

When playing the mod, you will hear lots of things around your player and near your player, things such as crickets, birds, or whatever have you. Below are some of the ambiences you can hear during your playthroughs.

DO NOT WATCH THESE IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE SPOILED!

(Forest Day)
(Desert)
(Snow Day)
(Jungle Day)
(Crimson)
(Corruption)
(Beach/Ocean)
(Hell/Underworld)
(Caverns/Underground)
(Forest Night)
(Snow Night)

(Jungle Night)
(Campfires)

Not to mention, there is sound dampening in liquids and quieter sounds inside of buildings or behind walls!

Hopefully, these nice and calming sounds help you find some peace in your terraria playthroughs.
Let me know if I should add anything, change anything, or fix something!​

Looks awesome!

Curious though how they feel when there's also to background music, like how they blend together.

The jungle one felt a bit plain for the jungle (but maybe it's just what it needs, when combined with the background music, I dunno)
The cavern makes me wonder though, if the same ambience can be heard everwhere in the cavern layer, or does it change based on depth - e.g. instead of the water-dripping sounds, there's something else once you reach the lava layer? by the way, I feel a bit odd about the water dripping sound though, since that fits nicely near underground lakes, but not sure about it in areas where there's no water anywhere nearby.

That aside, everything else is just really awesome!

Now you can clean the code! Like I said in VC. Also make it modular for mods, like I said in VC (maybe trough mod.call) but please for the love of god isolate the array for the block type into proper field.

Looks awesome!

Curious though how they feel when there's also to background music, like how they blend together.

The jungle one felt a bit plain for the jungle (but maybe it's just what it needs, when combined with the background music, I dunno)
The cavern makes me wonder though, if the same ambience can be heard everwhere in the cavern layer, or does it change based on depth - e.g. instead of the water-dripping sounds, there's something else once you reach the lava layer? by the way, I feel a bit odd about the water dripping sound though, since that fits nicely near underground lakes, but not sure about it in areas where there's no water anywhere nearby.

That aside, everything else is just really awesome!
An interesting idea to make it change as you go deeper... I could possibly try, I cannot guarantee any success though.

Along with the other things- Dripping sounds have been overhauled as well as the sounds for water splashes, water streams underground, and more!

Last edited:
I uninstalled and deleted the mod because it wasn't working correctly in Multiplayer, and the original sound is still replaced

help
how do I restore the original files

EDIT: I found the mod's folder still existing even after I erased it, so I deleted it and that fixed everything. Sorry about bothering you!

Last edited:
Sounds work really well in-game, loving the ambience! Is it possible to link the custom sounds with the already existing Sounds and/or Ambiance sliders in the game? I found the setting eventually, but the pathway is a little confusing.
Other than that, awesome idea and execution here. Neat 👍

Sounds work really well in-game, loving the ambience! Is it possible to link the custom sounds with the already existing Sounds and/or Ambiance sliders in the game? I found the setting eventually, but the pathway is a little confusing.
Other than that, awesome idea and execution here. Neat 👍
What do you mean link? I already gave the user the ability to download the sounds and replace the sounds with the user's own sounds via soundpacks. You can upload soundpacks if you make any in my discord server.

Found a bug while using your mod, in multiplayer modded boss summons don't work unless you are in the air (jumping or flying, haven't checked mounts). Vanilla items work fine (tested with slime crown and bloody spine). I believe all calamity boss summons don't work altho I haven't tested all of em, also as a test to see if it's restricted to Calamity I tried Fargo's boss summons and they also don't work. This effect also seems to extend to weather and time changing items (rain/sandstorm starts briefly but only as a visual effect, no event specific enemies spawn) and modded event starting items (only tested caustic tear aka acid rain but it has the same result as weather items, progress bar shows briefly and then disappears, no event specific enemies spawn) . All of the above work fine in singleplayer with no bugs that I could find.

Here is my "enabled.json":
Code:
  "Unleveled",
  "AllTheWalls",
  "DiscordRP",
  "BuildPlanner",
  "JPANsBagsOfHoldingMod",
  "BannerBonanza",
  "_ColoredDamageTypes",
  "AutoReroll",
  "ShopExpander",
  "HelpfulHotkeys",
  "XItemStats",
  "ClamExtraMusic",
  "chadsfurni",
  "AlchemistNPCLite",
  "AutoTrash",
  "Fargowiltas",
  "VeinMiner",
  "RecipeBrowser",
  "BossChecklist",
  "MagicStorage",
  "FKBossHealthBar",
  "HamstarHelpers",
  "MaxStackExtra",
  "Luiafk",
  "FargowiltasSouls",
  "CalamityModMusic",
  "CalamityMod",
  "BetterBuffs",
  "CalValEX",
  "TeamAutoJoin",
  "HEROsMod",
  "WeaponOut",
  "SmartDoors",
  "TerrariaAmbience"

Found a bug while using your mod, in multiplayer modded boss summons don't work unless you are in the air (jumping or flying, haven't checked mounts). Vanilla items work fine (tested with slime crown and bloody spine). I believe all calamity boss summons don't work altho I haven't tested all of em, also as a test to see if it's restricted to Calamity I tried Fargo's boss summons and they also don't work. This effect also seems to extend to weather and time changing items (rain/sandstorm starts briefly but only as a visual effect, no event specific enemies spawn) and modded event starting items (only tested caustic tear aka acid rain but it has the same result as weather items, progress bar shows briefly and then disappears, no event specific enemies spawn) . All of the above work fine in singleplayer with no bugs that I could find.

Here is my "enabled.json":
Code:
  "Unleveled",
  "AllTheWalls",
  "DiscordRP",
  "BuildPlanner",
  "JPANsBagsOfHoldingMod",
  "BannerBonanza",
  "_ColoredDamageTypes",
  "AutoReroll",
  "ShopExpander",
  "HelpfulHotkeys",
  "XItemStats",
  "ClamExtraMusic",
  "chadsfurni",
  "AlchemistNPCLite",
  "AutoTrash",
  "Fargowiltas",
  "VeinMiner",
  "RecipeBrowser",
  "BossChecklist",
  "MagicStorage",
  "FKBossHealthBar",
  "HamstarHelpers",
  "MaxStackExtra",
  "Luiafk",
  "FargowiltasSouls",
  "CalamityModMusic",
  "CalamityMod",
  "BetterBuffs",
  "CalValEX",
  "TeamAutoJoin",
  "HEROsMod",
  "WeaponOut",
  "SmartDoors",
  "TerrariaAmbience"
I know for a fact that this does not cause your issue. Please disable all mods and only enable Terraria Ambience.

This is a really nice mod, it makes the world feel more alive, I honestly wish 1.4 added something like this.

But one thing I noticed with this mod is I can’t hear the footsteps like in the videos shown

The game also lags a lot when it rains

Last edited:
This is a really nice mod, it makes the world feel more alive, I honestly wish 1.4 added something like this.

But one thing I noticed with this mod is I can’t hear the footsteps like in the videos shown
I've noticed this myself. In the settings, I believe you can turn up the noise of footsteps, but they seem to get reset back to 0 volume whenever the game is closed. At least, it happens to me, can't say if it happens for others.

I've noticed this myself. In the settings, I believe you can turn up the noise of footsteps, but they seem to get reset back to 0 volume whenever the game is closed. At least, it happens to me, can't say if it happens for others.

Do you remember where in the settings by chance I only see options for the background ambience

Back
Top Bottom