PC Terraria Black Bar/Lines Appearing on Screen

*Quick Disclaimer*
This thread is on behalf of my friend who doesn't speak english, I'm trying to help him out so we can play together again!
*Quick Disclaimer*

Before everything, his PC Specs
  • Processor: i7 7700K​
  • RAM: 20GB (2x 8GB, 1x 4GB)​
  • Motherboard: Asus Prime B250M-A​
  • Graphic Card: GTX 1060 3GB​
  • Storage: SSD 240GB, HD 1TB​
  • Displays: One 1920x1080 60hz and one 1920x1080 144hz​

Hey everyone, my friend is having a REALLY stressful bug that is driving both of us crazy. We tried a lot of different ways of fixing this but nothing succeeded, so our last hope is the community. I tried contacting a Dev through discord, but I think they're probably too busy to help us out. Anyway, here is the bug.

You can see some black bars suddendly appearing and disappearing at his screen

Here you can see how frequent the lines and bars can be

The bug started about a week ago, we were playing normally when these black bars/rectangles/lines started showing up randomly on his screen, at first I thought it could be his Graphic Drivers that weren't updated, but as soon as we realized that this was not the case, everything started to get strange. Even when the black bars stop for a bit, the game crashes after a few minutes playing. Right now, the game isn't even launching properly, most of the times crashing on startup. Here is a list of ALL the things we have tried so far:

[Software] is for troubleshooting his OS (dealing with files, drivers, anything OS related).
[Hardware] is for any troubleshooting in his PC (changing components, switching cables, etc).
[In-Game] is for any changes done inside the game, such as the settings.

1. [Software]Updating his Graphic Card Drivers​
  2. [Software]Clean Graphic Card Driver Reinstall​
  3. [Software]Deleting and Re-Installing XNA Framework 4.0
  4. [Hardware]Changing Monitors​
  5. [Hardware]Changing HDMI and Display Port cables​
  6. [Software]Verifying Steam Files Integrity​
  7. [Software]Deleting config.json and re-acquiring on steam​
  8. [Software]Re-Installing the game in another Hard drive (SSD and HD)​
  9. [In-game]Setting Parallax to 0​
  10. [Software]Changing the monitor's refresh rate to 144hz and to 60hz (Not so fun fact: The game won't even open if the monitor is running in 144hz)
  11. [In-game]Changing frame skip to Subtle/Off/On
  12. [In-game]Swapping between Fullscreen/Windowed/Borderless Window On/Off​
  13. [Software]Changing display and resolution settings in config.json
  14. [Hardware]Formatting his entire drive (SSD and HD)​
  15. [Software]Checking other games to see if they were faulty as well (I started thinking it was his Graphic Card, but Forza Horizon 4, Final Fantasy XIV, League of Legends and Astroneer were doing just fine)
  16. [Hardware]Switching to Onboard instead of his Graphic Card​
  17. [Software]Setting Terraria properties to open in admin, with compatibility mode and with reduced colors​
  18. [Software]Changing monitor's native resolution​
  19. [Software]Running Terraria Server to see if there were any crash logs (There weren't, the server opens just fine)
  20. [In-game]Making a Portal Gun Launch to see if the problem was the background and his speed (Big thanks to AydenTheFox_15 for the help)
  21. [Software]Disabling NVidia Geforce Experience
  22. [Hardware]Checking his SSD/HD health
  23. [Software]Unsubscribing from all his Steam Workshop mods (There were 3, Calamity Texture Pack, Doom Music and Storage World)
After trying everything, his game doesn't even start anymore, just crashes on startup. We tried using TerrariaServer.exe again for troubleshooting, but it just works perfectly (We can even open a server normally)
I've been playing this game since 2012 and I've never seen this in my whole life, we are almost giving up hope that terraria will work again for him. Feel free to ask for dump logs or any sort of files that could help us solve this problem.

Thank you all!

I've honestly never seen this - it's pretty odd. You've already tried pretty much everything that I can think of. Once other thing to try would be to see if the issue is present in any other XNA games - all the ones you tried use completley different graphic libraries for their rendering.
You can find a list of some of them here: Microsoft XNA - Wikipedia - other than Terraria, Stardew Valley is probably the game that you're most likely to have :)

Good luck! If you do fix it, make sure to let us know how!

I've honestly never seen this - it's pretty odd. You've already tried pretty much everything that I can think of. Once other thing to try would be to see if the issue is present in any other XNA games - all the ones you tried use completley different graphic libraries for their rendering.
You can find a list of some of them here: Microsoft XNA - Wikipedia - other than Terraria, Stardew Valley is probably the game that you're most likely to have :)

Good luck! If you do fix it, make sure to let us know how!
Hey, thank you for your response. That's actually a really good idea that makes me wonder why I didn't think of this before.
Stardew Valley is exactly the same as Terraria, black bars and lines all over the place, with the game crashing just a few minutes after opening. That's exactly the same problem with Terraria.

So what should we actually do? Try to Re-Install XNA once again?
We'll try some fixes and then keep you updated if anything happens.
Again, thank you for your time.

So, after trying to uninstall and re-install both XNA Framework and .NET Framework (We couldn't, only disable on Windows 10) we tried veryfying the Event Viewer and oh boy, look at what we found:
terrariabug.png

terrariabug2.png

Apparently, there is a DLL called clr.dll that might be corrupted and we tried in many ways, re-installing .NET Framework without success. Also, we tried downloading the dll from a dll database (not the greatest idea) but we couldn't replace the file nor delete it, so we couldn't do anything with it.
So now we now that it is a problem with .NET Framework library, but I have no clue how to fix it, since Windows won't let us do anything. We'll actually try to format his drive again with another ISO.

If you have any tip or ideas for fixing that error, it would really help us out.
Thanks!

So, after trying to uninstall and re-install both XNA Framework and .NET Framework (We couldn't, only disable on Windows 10) we tried veryfying the Event Viewer and oh boy, look at what we found:
View attachment 339685
View attachment 339686

Apparently, there is a DLL called clr.dll that might be corrupted and we tried in many ways, re-installing .NET Framework without success. Also, we tried downloading the dll from a dll database (not the greatest idea) but we couldn't replace the file nor delete it, so we couldn't do anything with it.
So now we now that it is a problem with .NET Framework library, but I have no clue how to fix it, since Windows won't let us do anything. We'll actually try to format his drive again with another ISO.

If you have any tip or ideas for fixing that error, it would really help us out.
Thanks!
No problem! I'm glad that helped to narrow it down - it did sound like a low level renderer error of some kind. Nice to know (at least for us!) that it's not Terraria's fault.
Hopefully you do manage to get it fixed - if so make sure to let us know, and good luck!

Hey everyone, quick update here. We found out that the problem was his CPU Motherboard socket that had some tilted pins. He actually "solved" his problem by buying a new Motherboard and CPU. Thanks for everyone that helped.

Back
Top Bottom