PC Terraria Boss Guide: Eye of Cthulhu

KavasPvP

Official Terrarian
This is my first installment on the "Terraria boss guide series". I will guide you through the steps that you need to make to take this boss down.
Let's BEGIN!:

Preparations:

I suggest engaging this boss with minimum 200+ HP.

I: Gear:
Recommended: Ranged
Recommended weapon(s): Shurikens (you get them from the Merchant), throwing knifes (found in chests: gold... etc.)
A platinum/tungsten bow can work with any type of arrows. Jester's arrows won't be very helpful in this boss fight, because there is not much to penetrate.
Recommended armor: Any set that gives you 10+ defense

II: Accessories
You can get the cloud in a bottle (found in gold chests) to avoid eye's charge attack. Rocket boots do work, but they are pretty expensive in the beginning.
The prefixes that can help are: Menacing (+4% damage), Warding(+1 defense).
A Health regeneration band can help, but it's pretty hard to find (it is found in gold chests deep underground)

III: Potions
If you use ranged I recommend the Archery potion.
The Ironskin potion is great if you want to get knocked out harder. This will make you more careless = faster gameplay
A regeneration potion along with some camp fires can make you almost invincible.

So, this boss is considered to be the first boss that you should face and the easiest one.
Eye_of_Cthulhu.png
Eyeofcthulhu.png

This is his first form: This is his second form:
Health: 2800 (3640 in expert mode) Health: 1400 (1820 in expert mode), he will get this form if he is 50% health or below
Damage: 15 (30 in expert mode) Damage: 22 (45 in expert mode)
Defense: 12 Defense: 0
Knockback resist: 100% (meaning that can't take knockback) Knockback resist: 100%

In his first form he will chase you and spawn "Servants of Cthulhu" which will come at you:

Servant_of_Cthulhu.png

Health: 8 (12 in expert mode)
Damage: 12( 24 in expert mode)
Defense 0

In his second form, also known as the "enraged" form will change the texture of the eye by replacing his iris and pupil with a mouth. His attacks will emit a sound when done and are going to be much powerful than before. In expert mode, this form is considered to be "nightmare" form (I called it like that xD), because in expert mode, Eye of Cthulhu will continuously charge at you in a chain and become a hard-to-hit target.

Fighting strategies:

I: Try to move a lot, because this fight involves avoiding the Eye's attacks.
II: When you hit him, you want to aim for the front part of his eye to avoid spawning lots of servants in his first form.

That's all for this guide, next one should be about the Eater of Worlds. Tell me if I should add some more details.

You could do some guides for the Hardmode bosses as well. I'm sure having serious problems with the Mechanical bosses.

Jester's Arrows can come in handy because of attack power. Otherwise, you'll do pretty well with Fire Arrows.

Warding does +4 defense and hard does +1 defense.
Yea, thanks for the suggestion! I will replace the numbers :)
Also, I just discovered this, while I was playing in pre-hardmode. I just went close to the Goblin Tinkerer close to the Underworld and surprisingly... I got a Warding(+4 defense) on my Cloud in a bottle :)

A bit short on the strategy part in my opinion. :)

Personally I'd make sure you have a flat piece of land without obstructions that can hinder your movement, even better if there's a stretch of platforms above it.
Hermes Boots/Flurry Boots/Sailfish Boots really help here. EoC's moves are very predictable and you can easily run back and forth while shooting at it, occasionally jumping over it or running underneath it. The platforms will help with giving you more room to dodge.

Warding is +4 defense, haha

I'd suggest the use of frostburn arrows, as they're both easy to get and strong as heck.

For expert: platforms + spiked balls are a good way of hitting the eye regardless of his movements when he enters "nightmare" phase (good one :D)

Back
Top Bottom