Terraria Challenge Ideas 1 - Corrupted or Crimsoned World Challenge

Razor_Typhoon

Living Tree
Hey everyone, i got a challenge idea for anyone to do.

its called the Corrupted or Crimsoned world challenge........the rules are really simple.................................

Using TEDIT or a world editor that allows you to infect the world, transform all the world into Corruption or Crimson..

Journey Mode is allowed but dont just use god mode and duplications on material (duping on building materials only)

Goal - Beat the moon lord........can you beat this challenge?

Exceptions to the rules - The Jungle doesnt need to be infected as the game would been impossible without a way to summon plantera (also to be safe, cover the jungle with hallow to be safer)......also sky islands also dont need to be infected.

Extra Challenge - Expert or master mode, hardcore character, ban the uses of bases in the sky to give yourself a harder time to survive.

suggest more challenges in the replies. (Note: you can only do this challenge on PC and mobile unless you can handle with spraying the world with red or purple solution.)

for anyone wondering.......this is what the world should look like after editing in TEDIT to begin the challenge.

Infected World.png

Note: the hardest part was making sure i didnt infect the jungle on accident.

Umm, I see a couple of problems that I'm sure I could figure out but would give many people issues to begin with.

Stone. This is necessary for furnaces which are almost a must have in some of the later difficulties. If all the stone blocks are converted, you're going to need to defeat the EoC before you can get powder to start collecting this. To my knowledge furnaces do not spawn naturally.

Yeah you could get some from the Jungle but I usually take on the Eye before I go there.

Fair point..................... you either need to transfer stone from another world, deal without it till you get the dryad or get some from the jungle.

As present in the "NOT THE BEES" world, it is possible to get a furnace from the merchant if he is in the jungle(does not strictly require NOT THE BEES, just using that seed as an example).

So don't worry about the stone thing.

thats a good fix........................... but the problem is getting to the jungle without getting murdered....plus building in the jungle

the problem with the lack of stone for furnace can be solved by merchant in the jungle, yes.
another big problem though, how to build towns? because houses in or near evil biomes are invalid for NPCs. (alright, you can build on the sky and the jungle, but still... I guess that is a way to solve it, but why floating wooden boxes...?)

it do sounds like an interesting challange though.

actually even more challanging, if you would like to build cool-looking settlents too, not just some floating wooden boxes (although this time it's upgraded to beging with, because it's shadewood, not normal wood XD lol)

edit:
actually, thinking about it more, there are a few more difficult stuff there.

- gel. pre-hardmode crimson (same goes for corruption) feature no slime variant, so there will be probably no slimes to get gel. the only areas where those will spawn are areas outside of crimson - hallow, jungle (jungle slimes are quite tough early game) or you can build a larger area from mined dirt above that is high above enough to be far from crimson, but not that high to be the harpies' territory, because they would override slimes, I think.
gel is something we rarely care about, because it's super plentiful, but in a crimsoned/corrupted world, it would be rather difficult to aquire early game.

- because of gel is so difficult to get, torches are quite difficult to get too. and they are essential for light sources, which are essential for valid houses too. if you're lucky though, they might drop from pots (that will be crimson torches then) or carried by zombies. merchant also sells them, but you will need some torches first to have him move in.
- this also on the same line of the problem with the lack of stone for furnace. there is also a lack of torches for them early game.

- doors has to be zombie-proof. (that is, have furnitures preventing them to be opened to the inside.) because face monsters can open doors even when it's not a blood moon, I think. (this is not a concern in corrupted worlds, but anyway)

- several monsters will be impossible to find (this will hinder bestiary completion, and therefor zoologist might be quite late to move in too) - to begin with, you will see crimera, face monster and blood crawler almost exclusively everywhere, both surface and underground.
- this also means that getting a depth meter and compass is quite challanging too, and most likely comes from jungle expeditions (jungle bats and piranhas has a chance to drop these, respectively)
- and also likely several other material and weapons in general.

- to begin with, regarding weapons, you will have access to shadewood from the start, making awesome weapons and armor for the start. but they still are probably quite weak in facing the tough monsters of the crimson for early game, especially when player lacks good mobility.
you will likely be stuck with a shedewood sword for some time (they are awesome for early game against normal mobs, but wonder how well they works against crimson creatures...?) because despite you can craft a bow, you won't be able to craft arrows without stone. so your only sources of arrows are pots, zombies, and the good old merchant, but you will need valid houses before that.
(or you might find something like a spear or wand of sparkling in a chest, but that depends on luck)

- you will have trouble setting up towns, so not much use of pylons early game. you will be able to set up one in the jungle though, and a forest pylon in the sky, so once you reached to the jungle and started a town there, getting back and forth can be easy. the hallow being present in pre-hardmode also probably means a hallow pylon can be set up relatively early.

and surely several other things I forgot about.

It actually sounds like quite the tough challange at the start of the game. sounds pretty fun, but, yeah, very challanging. XD

edit2:

actually, I think face monsters will turn out to be a very serious problem to deal with early game, because even with zombie-proof doors, they will end up camping at the door. most likely need special house designs allowing for player to safely leave the house. (non-zombie proof doors will likely would end up even worse, because the horde of monsters will walk in the house and camp at the spawn)

Last edited:
Actually, I was very curious of how this challange actually looks like in the game and not just as a theory, so the other time, I started a playthrough like this.

Here are some of my observations, notes and ideas. Like, some tips and tricks for others interested taking the challange.

map.png

This is the world this story takes place in. It was a simple, small, expert world, turned
almost entirelly crimson via T-edit.
The jungle is pure, and encased in a layer of hallow, as the origonal idea suggested.
It also naturally features the crimson chasms connected, and quite close to the spawn.

it's named "Crimsoned Island" - super creative, right? XD

So... let's move to the main character of this story... A girl called Flann. (side note: softcore character)
01.png

Most player characters starts in a world sorrounded by green vegetation, however Flann was not so lucky...
Also starring... what was his name guide as a side character... but his role at the start was cut short... by a groups of face monsters...

Also a few things to note. green mossy stones. like several other things, these are remains from the original worldgen, and they will change appearance once you mine blocks around them, chop wood or anything.
There is also daybloom and sunflower here and there, which is very precious, so get them when possible. Fallen stars will uproot these when falling nearby, (or it will uproot daybloom, which will uproot the suflowers next to it when drops as an item) because these can't live on crimson vegetation, and when stars fall close, uprooting dayblooms the game seems to realise these things like sunflowers shouldn't be there, and they drop as items. pick them up, because the dropped items (as usual) disappear when you exit the game!
(also this means that fairy logs are in vegetation where they can't live, so if you mine block around them - or even if you try to use purification powder to purify the grass under them, they will be destroyed. so be careful with these irreplaceable fairy houses...)

However let's not run that ahead just yet.
My theory was that there will be no time to build a house before monsters appear, so... first thing to do... burry yourself. so it won't be someone else burrying you 6 feet deep, and end up with those monsters loitering at the spawn, and spawnkilling you again. and again... and... again...
02.png

There was barely enough time to mine this small hole, before monsters appeared. and these are not green slimes...
(note: autopause can be useful too, to win a few seconds!)
This also requires that the ground here right under the character is simple dirt. there's some clay as well, and maybe ores, but stone is a problem now, because you can't mine crimstone with a copper pickaxe. so, this should be noted when turning the world crimson with T-edit. the area right under the spawn should be dirt, clay and such, and not stone!

With this done, you can mine some more, and chop the shadewood trees from below. The copper axe have just enough range to reach them, and you can pick up the wood from below.

03.png

Now, with some shadewood, it's possible to start building a house. You can only really do it slow by "capturing" area slowly by placing blocks, and then more blocks and mining the previous. You can push back the crimera this way. A single mistake letting them in could be lethal.

secure the spawn with a house! so you won't be spawnkilled later, if anything goes wrong.

Also, cultivate shadewood trees. What you chop down, replace with a seedling. You will need material for things, and there's nothing else in this land at this point you could use (no, don't use dirt! you don't want the crimson grass spreading to it too...) Also, it could be good to leave 1 of the "ancient tree giants" there. I read somewhere that trees often try to match their neighboring trees in size. normally they grow quite short, but if the presence of the old tree giant can inspire just some of them, you will have significantly more wood.

With that, it's very likely that the Sun went down, and...

04.png

This is the sort of thing you see. or don't see... You face the first unpleasant problem (not counting the core problem of being stuck in a land full of crimson) that is, torches! There are no slimes to drop gel... so you basically stuck in this shadewood shoebox until the sun rises... or... if you see light, there are most likely a star landed nearby. you can try to reach them by mining a tunnel towards them. you won't really see what you're mining, just hope that things will go fine.
These falling stars will also uproot daybloom - and thus occassionally adjacent sunflovers too. pick them up too.

And then once the sun is up, you can try to continue building.

05.png

If you place doors when there are no monsters in the way (that's not visible here, but will be visible in later pics) make sure you have a furniture right in front of it. the so called "zombie-proof doors" - because enemies can only open doors to the inside. This is crucial, because face monsters can open doors regardless if it's a blood moon or not!

You can try to explore in hope of finding pots if they might drop torches - I tried that, but I found nothing, just some large vein of iron ore. that will come in... very useless for the time being. on a short distance, you can outrun the crimeras, if all of them comes from the same direction. (if you get caught, you're dead) but that plan to find pots ended up largely in a failure. however you can hide underground for the night and hit monsters though a hole with your shadewood sword.
You can easily gather around 2-3 gold a night!

But so once the sun rose again, I ran back to the main base, and resumed building. Still no torches though. My theory was, that once you're high above enough, you will reach outside of the crimson, and thus it will allow for valid housing.
Watch the mustic and the atmosphere and background. you will enventually reach out of the crimson, to the "forest"
And this will also allow for the grounded monsters to despawn (and thus replaced with other monsters), and when you go down from the tower (watch your step! no, seriously!), you can encounter zombies the night!

Including this impressive guy...!
06.png

Maybe it was the game taking pity on Flann, that this one was the first zombie to appear.
Now of course, this guy could solve the torch problem, but defeating him would be tricky face-to-face. and there's no time to waste either, because this guy will go away once the sun rises.

07.png

So this was the trap I came up with, and the impressive torch zombie dropped some awesome 18 (or so) torches!
A slimy zombie wandered into the trap too, which brought this other impressive rarity seen on the pic.
You can also hit any other monsters falling into the trap (face monsters mostly), or trying to ram you (crimera), while you're completely safe!

Seriously. This map can teach us quite a bit about the materials we consider basic, and don't care too much about them in a normal playthrough. but gel and torches are a very rare commodity here. and there are several other things too... I think I learned a lot here.

But so, with the mighty power in our hand, to bring light into the darkness... now it's possible to build a house, right...?

08.png

It's almost always a happy thing to see the message "this house is suitable" but it's a perticularly joyous sight here.
And since I had all that money, Calvin the merchant decided to move in right away!

However...
09.png

He spawned on the ground level. (also, again, watch your step! coming down from the tower by jumping is not a wise idea!)
And... unfortunatelly...

10.png

He didn't make it into the house in one piece. Quite literally...
So, that made me wonder how will I actually get town NPCs to move in alive, but soon after the guide moved in, appearing inside the room upstairs while I was chopping wood downstairs.
And with another room, the merchant moved in too, this time with his head on his shoulders. He's a really lot more useful that way.

He sells all sorts of useful things, so you can make sure your money is safe (piggy bank), buy torches(!!!), arrows(!) so you can try to hit things from a distance, the very impressive sickle, an awesome early game weapon with autoswing!!! a mining helmet so you will have light! also an anvil, bug catching net, and other usually great gadgets that will be mostly useless for start, but come in handy later! (if you find enough metal bars in chest for things for example.

although use them first for a watch. any watch. it can make a huge difference! - without it, you don't really have anything to tell the time - besides if it's dark it's probably night - but can be it's just a heavy rain... the music down there in the crimson will never indicate the time - it will, around the base once it's a town, but everywhere else it's always just the crimson's music, be it day or night.)

And while I was wondering what else to buy besides the piggy bank...

11.png

The winds brought another friendly visitor. His wares didn't include any weapons, but the dynasty wood come in quite handy, since I love building, and it could change the atmosphere a little bit. (side note: autopause! you need it at these times. it should be turned off when building at this point because it's a hindrance, but to buy things from this guy, it's essential.) soon enough he got eviscerated by the crimson monsters though ...leaving his hat behind...

So, my base looked like this after.

12.png

Not the coziest place, but a decent house at this point with adequate safety. A place to live in even in this forsaken land.

Now, with the somewhat uggly, but strong shadewood armor and the sickle and all, I decided to go exploring!
Note for shadewood: It's an awesome material making very strong weapons and armor for early game! still, this is an expert world, so this armor doesn't means a lot. good dodging skills are needed.

And at this point, there's no grappling hook, cloud in a bottle or anything at Flann's disposal, so jurneying can be difficult.

Rather than going on the surface, it can be good to mine some tunnels (very close to the surface) here and there - and place zombie-proof doors at the entrances. also, make sure the ground there is dirt, and not crimson grass. just manually destroy all crimson grass inside the tunnels floor, to make them safer, so crimson monsters won't likely spawn inside them later. block off areas with shadewood so the grass from outside won't spread inside the tunnel.

And so I reached the crimson chasm, and Flann found her very first treasure chest there! - indeed, these things are in short supply too. And not just a chest, but something with an absolutely awesome treasure in it, that is...

13.png

An umbrella!
This absolutely awesome gadget allows for reaching places down below in one piece. whether it's descending from the tower at the base, or going down inside the chasm...

Ah, and an interesting observation here. Blood crawlers are rather uncommon on the surface, but are super common in the chasms. interesting.
If we're at that, use banners! They can make a huge change!

I wandered down the chasm's central hall after, and ran into the next problem... how to reach the hearts? The next thing to look for was,
explosives!
(also, I think I actually managed to just barely reach a heart with a hammer, but couldn't get the undertaker that dropped, so finding explosives to reach that was quite an important task to do soon.
I also think I found an unprotected heart later when explored the chasms more, but so early I didn't noticed that... aww...)

14.png

So, I went to explore to the other side. A sky bridge and the umbrella can come in extremely handy! (but watch out for harpies!) And then I found some granades in a chest in a living tree. also found a finch staff in another chest!
Also found the Hallow, and the Jungle too

15.png

And so, the demolitionist moved in, and I could buy bombs to mine the crimstone.

Also buy granades! They are awesome. And I had a slime rain at some point, so while obviously king slime was impossible to beat, that still alowed for gathering tons of gel for sticky granades. like granades, they do area dmg. so you can clear the monster kicking your door with just like 2 sticky granades thrown at the door - not the same time. mind the knockback. ...and don't be too close...)

This allowed both to get the undertaker, and another heart - which dropped a crimson heart - and in general to go mining underground too. because if you mine deeper, you will pretty inevitably run into crimstone, and your copper pickaxe can't mine it.

16.png

The undertaker also allowed for the arms dealer to move in, and with enough bullets, the undertaker is quite a formidable weapon so early game.

Also, the underground actually features regular underground enemies too, mixed in with some crimson monsters. I thought if would be only crimera, face monster and blood crawler everywhere, but you can see bats, skeletons and all too, probably because the underground is not just a dense heap of crimstone, but mixed in with dirt and other stuff, and there are no crimstone background walls everywhere either, unlike in the chasms. there are also normal desert monsters in the desert, mostly.

you will also see moss on the crimstone here and there. it's just the "fuzzy/grassy" part of the moss, the base is not there, because it can't live on the crimstone, but the fuzzy moss plant from worldgen is still there. if you hit it with any weapon, grappling hook or anything it will be destroyed as expected, and destroy adjacent moss fuzz too - and never grow back, because its base is long been destroyed by the crimson.
However if you try to gather it with a paint scrapper, it still has the normal (small) chance to drop the plantable moss, so try to be careful around these before being able to collect them, and try to get some once you have the painter. they might could come in interesting later for deco.

And so I went back and went to the jungle I found earlier, to build some houses and get...

17.png

The furnace! An extremely trivial crafting station normally, on this playthrough, it took quite some time to get it. This finally allowed to make use of the ores I found.
Did you ever thought about what an important thing is, to smelt ores? I always took it pretty much granted, since the furnace is usually the 2nd crafting station you get, nearly right after the workbench.
The power to smelt ores! And at a laughably dirt-cheap price XD

And what's more, there is the Hallow. an anomaly for pre-hardmode words, and hallow monsters won't spawn either, but the pylon works neverheless. it allows the jungle pylon to be used somewhere later, deeper in the jungle, so I used the hallow pylon here, and with the forest pylon at the base, it's easy to travel between these two places.

The jungle also offers many other things, for example frogs, in quite the abundance. If you don't fish (and it would be quite difficult to do that until this point), this will be the first edible thing to run into. I hope you like frog legs... XD
(you can actually get a few hamburgers from crimera, but I left them for later, since they're tier 3 food)

(This also makes me wonder if hallow fish can be caught here? I will test that later.)

Also, you can find regular stone in the jungle in small deposits. quite useful for fireplaces, so it's not a campfire in the middle of the room XD

With all the new things, I upgraded my base too. Crimson bricks are quite handy too. And with some dye plants from the jungle, another nice guy moved in...

18.png

He spawned downstairs, but Hannibal the dye trader is quite a dye-hard fellow. I was wondering if his encounter with 4 face monsters will yield an exotic scimittar, but he slew them all! This guy is something else. Really, I dislike when NPCs fall victim, but I waited quite some time, and this guy just didn't die, so I given up on waiting for that and went to do other things. really, since he's a melee town NPC, he can defend himself quite well!

Also, note the banners and the crimson torch. I wonder if one crimson torch matters the same as if there would be all just crimson torches? but I rather combined them with normal torches for a lighter atmosphere.

And then another traveling merchant brought impressive things.

19.png

I sold most of the gold bars I had, and then I realised I forgotten about those can of worms. opened in hope of gold worms, but it was just regular ones. turned them all into enchanted nightcrawlers and they worth roughly the same amount of coins as the gold bars I sold XD lol good to know
And so I could buy this beauty.

After that, I decided to raise money for the quad-barrel shotgun. I did so, but I also found just enough ruby for a ruby staff. also got an ametyst hook, later a sapphire hook. The quad barrel shotgun is absolutely awesome, but the ruby staff has autoswing, so it bacame my main weapon at this point besides the katana.

Also realised that I missed an interesting material. pearwood. this makes (just a tad bit) better armor than shadewood, and this might be one of the very few cases when there's actually point in making pearlwood armor.

After that, more exploring, potion brewing and all, and with all these vicious mushrooms and vertebrea (to craft bloody spines) I decided to try battling Brain of Ctulhu! (on the surface, around the spawn) Not that I thought I could defeat it, but the creepers can drop crimtane and tissue sample, allowing for making the crimson armor! So I tried, and the first time I got a few creepers down (before BoC killed Flann...), just enough crimtane to craft the leg piece of the armor.

And then on the 2nd battle...

20.png

Managed to deafeat BoC! A mostly flat area and some potions... mana regen potion is awesome! hermes boots, cloud in a bottle... and don't forget the frog leg breakfast either. (not a hamburger, because I didn't actually expected I could win, I just wanted more material for the armor. and the deathbringer pickaxe (which can mine crimstone!!!))

This allowed for getting full crimson armor, the deatbringer pickaxe, as well as getting the awesome brain of confusion to dodge attacks occassionally.

And so someone else also moved in...

21.png

Certainly that's an interesting information to know... Though all things considered you probably have no reason to worry it could turn much more crimsoned that this later... XD

With this much NPCs hanging around (mostly) in the same tower, prices are quite high, and that can hurt a bit, even with moster dropping lots of money. This is another thing to solve...

But, so, could buy some purification powder! And decided to purify the area around the base. though only really the surface - it's blocked off at the edges so the crimson grass can't spread back there.

22.png

This is mostly just for a change of air, since the crimstone deposits below still make this area all crimson, but this allows for getting more normal wood, and grow pumpkins. I also placed wooden fences later, and mowed the grass a bit once got the golfer. also, a tree nymph butterfly fall from one of the trees. an impressive catch! bottled it after.

Also, now you're able to purify crimstone to mine regular stone. quite useful!

The goblin army paid a visit before at some point too - that hurt quite a bit - but so I had the goblin, and also after this, EoC paid a visit too, but was dispatched easily at the sky bridge with the ruby staff.

23.png

It thought it found an easy opponent, but it probably didn't expected a girl living - and thus quite battle-hardened - in the crimson. XD

After that, I also went exploring floating islands with gravity and featherfall potions I found.

And so...

24.png

This is how Flann's base looks like at this point. (although I later updated it with a bookscase too, after getting some books from the dungeon's accessible part.)
Because living in such an unhospitable land doesn't means you don't want a hospitable, comfortable, and cozy house, right?

At this point, the crimson is not a real menace anymore. Flann has no trouble fighting the things lurking on the surface or under the ground in this island of crimson red.

It all comes down to perseverance, wit, some patience, and of course tons of luck. And some battle skills, and so this unhospitable land gives birth to a battle-hardened girl. Because living in the crimson is not easy. But if you not give up, it's not just that you can survive, but prosper even here.

(of course, there's still quite some bosses to fight, and hardmode would prove a big challange here with all this land would be full of herplings and crimslimes and the like, but it also would mean that getting the stuff for the golden shower would be quite easy, and with that formidable weapon, probably fighting some artifically spawned crimson mimics for the dart gun and stuff (and ichor darts) and a few other gadgets, it wouldn't be that tough to come at the top of the food-chain once again in this land of crimson red...)

Last edited:
Me when seeing this: Yeah this looks fun lemme try
Me 2 hrs later:
Capture 2020-08-15 10_31_54.png

(I used TEdit to not only crimson the world, but added a couple of things too like a ruined shadewood house at spawn for me to repair)

Me when seeing this: Yeah this looks fun lemme try
Me 2 hrs later:
View attachment 287611
(I used TEdit to not only crimson the world, but added a couple of things too like a ruined shadewood house at spawn for me to repair)
Placing a house - even if ruined - can be a huge help, but also take some part of the challange, I think. Although building the house to secure the shelter is rather time-consuming, and not super exciting. but nevertheless part of the challange I think. Though with the spawn already secured, you could go for building the tower as soon as possible.

And place doors when you can. but make them zombie-proof (in this case, mostly face-monster-proof). later they will be useful if you can leave the house.

Also, you gave yourself a bed at the start? use it wisely, because it's a very powerful thing, to be able to set your spawn. it took me a while to get one, because needed to find enough cobweb, and... needed to find iron/lead bars in chests (you can't smelt ores for quite some time here!) for crafting the materials for the sawmill (buy an anvill from the merchant) to craft a loom. and you need the sawmill for the bed itself too.

I think the challange makes mostly the start of the game different and very challanging by taking away the usual materials and crafting stations, and you need to do your best to aquire them.
torches, gel, the furnace, the ability to mine stone (since you can't mine crimstone for a while, until you aquite explosives...) critters for food, the ability to build proper towns in multiple places - as the only valid places are way above the crimson, and otherwise the hallow and the jungle) and many more things.

But one-by-one, slowly all these can be aquired again,
and eventually once you manage to defeat BoC (crafting bloody spines is easy, with this adundance of the materials needed to craft it), seriously if you can kill just a few of BoC's creepers, you can eventually craft the crimson armor. you just need a good weapon and some decent mobility. and once you have all that, the biome is not that huge of a problem anymore for the rest of pre-hardmode.

Continuing that playthrough
I mostly spent time with building now, built another tower - but they're still overcrowded, so will need a 3rd one too, probably, or building a town in a floating island or something.

At this point in the game (post BoC) Flann is strong enough to survive without real problems, bosses are another thing, but mobs are no real concern anymore. (The only thing that managed to kill me was a wandering eye fish. those guys are tough and fast...)
So this time is quite ideal to try to get some towns up and running.
Also look for more treasures.
Rematching BoC (crafting bloody spines is easy here) is probably also a great source of income, if you need money.

But I was wondering about things such as blizzard in a bottle - there is no pyramid here, so no sandstorm in a bottle - but looking at the map with T-edit, it showed there's NO blizzard in a bottle. I have cloud in a bottle - now in a balloon, but I would like something better, so looking for balloon pufferfish - already got a tsunami in a bottle from a crate - to tinker the lucky horseshoe with, because it's better than the simple cloud in a balloon. and I caught a frog leg while looking for it, so that's awesome luck!

And so I'm setting up fishing holes.
My previous jungle town was in an area that is laggy (for some reason, the area at the bottom of "surface", just above the "underground" is laggy. I'm assuming it's the background walls, but I dunno if that's true or not. same goes for all maps though, not just this one. the underground is perfectly smooth with no lag at all, but the bottom of the surface is crazy laggy. the surface is a little laggy too, but that's not that bad. if anyone have an idea against that lag though?)

Anyway, so, very close to the previous - laggy - house, there is this huge lake. I relocated the town there, and it works as a 2-in-1 fishing spot with one part of it considered hallow, and the large majority of it is (underground) jungle.
And so I was wondering if I can catch hallow fish...?

25.png

And yes! In addition to other catches like neon tetra and the omnipresent bass, you can catch princess fish (common), and chaos fish (super rare) aaaand, Prismite! (it's rare, but spending the morning with fishing, you can catch 3-4 between 4:30 and 12:00 or so. (you can also catch the elusive hallowed crates, that normally not possible to catch in most worlds, because hallow is not present in those worlds pre-hardmode, and in hardmode they're replaced with divine crates. they don't drop anything hardmode though, so whatever)

So, with prismite, theoretically speaking, you can brew lifeforce potions(!) pre-hardmode. the only problem with it is getting waterleaf, which will never grow in the corrupted desert, (and I didn't got any waterleaf seeds from herb bags) so I gathered and placed some pure sand (you can purify it too with purification powder, but antlions also shoot pure sand, even if they're in a corrupted desert) and waiting for it to grow. I already have one sprouted, built some shelter above it which hopefully will keep it safe from fallen stars, until it grown, and it's raining to harvest it. I found a - legendary (lol) - staff of regrowth, so hopefully it will solve the waterleaf shortage after, if I plant all those seeds.

There is something funny in it to care so much for a herb-seedling. XD but really, it's no good to have no waterleaf. they are useful. (I got some fireblossoom seeds from a herb bag, so I have all other herbs growing in my greenhouses, but still no waterleaf - I had 2-3 waterleaf (not seeds) mostl likely because they were in the desert upon worldgen, and then a fallen star uprooted them while it wasn't raining, and so I picked up those when I reached to the desert.
quite funny that fallen stars can cause you quite the problem with this... you normally consider them gifts, but rarely they can turn out as a bit of a problem...

So, I would call this stage tying loose ends, regarding prosperity. on some playthroughs, greenhouses aren't that necessary, but most herbs won't grow on the surface here, so cultivating them is necessary if you want to brew potions.

Continuation.

Nothing much now either, but managed to catch a balloon pufferfish, so crafted the pink horseshoe balloon.

Meanwhile...
26.png

the waterleaf seedling grown up and it was raining so I harvested it with the legendary staff of regrowth. it dropped...
1 seed... XD but I could plant that in a pot in the greenhouse, so that was in a safer environment, and I demolished this ad-hoc waterleaf bunker, and turned this spot into a small floating garden. the next generation waterleaf dropped more seeds, so now I have 4 clay pots with waterleaf seedlings growing in them.

Then I fought queen bee, and won.

27.png

Oddly enough, she died there, out of all places, while I had nothing to cause DoT, but this was very likely due to that bajillion man-eaters that were trying to stretch very long to reach me, but couldn't. I read somewhere in a post here the other time, that somehow related to the bees she releases, queen bee damages other monsters, and also takes dmg from them. the OP of that thread demonstrated it with mimics that torn apart queen bee in the matter of seconds.

These weren't, and most of the dmg. was done by me, but when she was around 100 HP, she rammed into there and then "queen bee defeated!" well, that's cool, it was a pain to get the treasure bag from over there XD
also I found like 4-5 man eaters there, one of them severelly damaged. I guess this was the one that ate queen bee. it's not a man-eater, it's a bee-eater now, I guess...?

Also, I had no bezoar, and that actually hurt a lot on the long run I guess. but won somehow.

So now onto... Skeletron? or to hell to get some stuff. The main target is the lava charm, which is not present in the world (I checked with T-edit) (on the other hand, I found a 2nd water walking boots too. XD)
so, would need lava bait and stuff.
It just annoys me so much that the fishing line breaks 1/3 of times. I want that high test fishing line... I got a tackle box, and a sextant, but the rest is just trash after 15 quests... (fuzzy carrot, angler hat, angler vest are 100% at their respective marks, so not counting those)

Also wonder about how come I have the nymph entry in the bestiary, yet I have no metal detector, when this is an expert world, where they drop it 100%. nymphs might be even rarer here, and I don't even remember seeing one on this playthough, but apparently I defeated one. probably somewhere off-screen and didn't picked up the metal detector... awwww...

Hey everyone, i got a challenge idea for anyone to do.

its called the Corrupted or Crimsoned world challenge........the rules are really simple.................................

Using TEDIT or a world editor that allows you to infect the world, transform all the world into Corruption or Crimson..

Journey Mode is allowed but dont just use god mode and duplications on material (duping on building materials only)

Goal - Beat the moon lord........can you beat this challenge?

Exceptions to the rules - The Jungle doesnt need to be infected as the game would been impossible without a way to summon plantera (also to be safe, cover the jungle with hallow to be safer)......also sky islands also dont need to be infected.

Extra Challenge - Expert or master mode, hardcore character, ban the uses of bases in the sky to give yourself a harder time to survive.

suggest more challenges in the replies. (Note: you can only do this challenge on PC and mobile unless you can handle with spraying the world with red or purple solution.)
... How to make it on mobile???????

Continuation.

No much progress in general, still just tying up loose ends.
Set up banners everywhere in the surface, now almost the entire surface is covered against crimera & face monsters (because these are the most common anyway.
crimera is the most commom, then face monster, and blood crawlers are relative uncommon with the exception of inside the chasms.)

Set up lamps (dynasty lanterns. interestingly their colors aren't that far from shadewood, and I love their looks in general anyway) to cover the whole surface. in hardmode, this place will be full of herplings and stuff, so should come in handy to see things even in the night.

(cleaned up two meteor crash sites - one fell right into the entrance of the underground desert, the other inside the hallow I took so much time to promote to grow by destroying crimson grass one-by-one in this area (also, if you do that, place "buffers" (some shadewood) because crimson will fight back, and can overtake hallowed grass too. sometimes hallow retakes it, but still.
and set up the "Aegis Unit" (401+ (since it's a small world) meteor ore placed somewhere not that annoying place to protect from further meteor strikes. I placed it at one floating island. that was annoying, especially when a blood moon hit and there were around 15 harpies there the same time. that actually produced another gravestone... XD
but the "Aegis Unit" was finished after and it works now, because I seen 2-3 metors in the background after, and they did not actually landed.

Caught around 30~ gnomes at the living trees, and covered the entire surface, perticularly fishing holes and some other areas, like around the spawn.
26-2.png

Once you figured out their patterns, outsmarting gnomes can be quite fun XD lol

And then decided to try to fish for the lava charm.
Well, to begin with, one of the problems is...

28.png

Despite completed 40+ quests (it doesn't matters regarding supreme helper minion anymore anyway, I got that in the previous playthough finally. not 200 quests in one playthrough, but from several playthroughs in general. and it was actually around 250 quests in total, because at some point the game had some error and reset some of my progress...)
Anyway, so, after 40+ quests, still only got the tackle box, the angler erraring and the sextant. and of course, golden fishing pole that is quaranteed after 30. and got the golden bug net, about right after I crafted the lava proof bug net... oh well... I hate them either way, because they destroy plants.

on a side note, it seems that most of the quest fish are impossible to find. I have fishing spots for surface, sky, surface snow, surface jungle and underground jungle, and underground hallow (he never ever asked for hallow fish though), and of course, crimson XD lol. but he frequently asks for underground, oasis, underground snow, etc. fish which seems to be impossible to catch if these are corrupted - or it's just awful luck (not "luck") strikes again...

I wonder if this is due to him not being housed in the ocean biome...? or it's just unusually awful RNG...?

So, still no high test fishing line, not fish finder...

But I decided to set up a lava fishing hole regardless to try to get the lava charm. it took around 3-4 or 5 visits to hell to get hellstone for the lavaproof bug net (which become obsolate around 2 fishing quests later...) but anyway, got the lava proof fishing hook with some lava bait fishing, then set up this cozy little place...

26-3.png

To fish for obsidian crates in relative peace. this is actually a very peaceful spot, because most of the monsters gather at the other door to the right (and they can't open it, because the toilet blocks the door from the inside XD lol), and fill up the spawn limit, so Flann can fish in peace.

As most things here in this challange are somewhat a test of patience and perseverance, I tried it for quite some time.
I realised that since each obsidian crate has a lock box, and since I can't open them without a shadow key (didn't fought skeletron yet) they can function as a nice indicator how many crates I actually fished up and opened in search of the lava charm.

on a minor side note, when the fishing line still snaps at this point, sometimes more times in a row, kinda makes me want to just throw the golden fishing rod into the lava as it is, in rage... (it still seems to break less now than before though. maybe fishing power affects it too? it still breaks at random times nonetheless... which is extremely annoying...)

anyway, with crimson torches, garden gnomes, angler armor, angler earring, seafood dinner, fishing potion, sonar potion, crates potion, lavaproof hook, golden fishing pole and master bait, spending a few hours on fishing here I caught...

29.png

Uhh... 106 obsidian crates? (around 5-10 were lost due to the line snaping at random times)
guess what? still no lava charm...
I got around 2-3 plat worths of garbage probably, but that's besides the point.
I think no one really can say I did not tried, but this is just unusually awful RNG now... on some other playthough I managed to find a lava charm in a crate - took around 20-30 probably. and on another playthrough too. but this is just nonsense, so I think I will just cheat one in via T-edit, or get one from another world (I did that in other playthroughs too, after my patience ran out fishing for crates, but there I gave up after 30-40 crates...). I think I did tried my best fishing for it, it likely wasn't my fault I didn't gotten it...

if at it, might get a high test fishing line, weather radio, and fisherman's notes too. I have several lying around in a dresser where on another playthough, the angler was a lot more generous.
and probably a metal detector, considering I should had picked one up, considering the bestiary has the nymph entry, and they drop it 100% chance on expert. she either died it lava (does the bestiary counts that?) or some otherway killed by minion while I didn't noticed (although I fail to imagine the baby finch or anything else pre-hardmode minion killing a nymph without the player noticing...

fishing can be fun - to some extent..., but there is a point when my patience just runs out. there is no point wasting more time fishing for obsidian crates that won't have a lava charm whatsoever...
this is besides the more "necessary" tests of patience here, like waiting for the waterleaf to grow. although even that wouldn't been all that necessary, if I found waterleaf seeds in any herb bags, of if fallen stars wouldn't uproot all that the wrong time (not when it was raining) were there by worldgen. if they wouldn't grow, I would eventually gave up on them and get them from another world or something. considering you could gotten some from herb bags to begin with...

so, conclusion of the latest events. Flann has tons of "luck" (the thing you get from gnomes, torches and other stuff), but she still has no luck at all with good-(or rather, bad)-old RNG...
I will just cheat in the missing stuff I should gotten already by now (missing tackle bag & fish finder components, lava charm, and metal detector) and move on mining more hellstone for armor, and then facing skeletron.

On a side note however, I'm amazed by I'm still using the same weapons since rather early game. katana & ruby staff combo with the quad barrel shotgun as last resort, when mana runs out, but range is needed. of course, this is still pre-hardmode, and one "biome" is still locked, that is, the dungeon. that might be tough with these weapons, but it will offer several stronger weapons.
(and then after looted the dungeon, it should be time to face WoF. which makes me wonder if will the crimson spawn on the jungle side? like, right though the jungle or something, just so that it would both ruin my towns, and the so-well protected (by the hallow) jungle itself in one go...? but let's not run that ahead just yet... ((although by mining all stone, sand, etc. it could be avoided maybe, but if it means to mine all the pearlstone too, in fear if it turns crimson by the V, it would ruin so much stuff there, like the fishing spot and the town, as well as generally being too much a hassle anyway, so I definitelly won't do that. just watch for the V ruining the world for good - or maybe it won't. like, if hallow would spawn on the jungle side. that would be quite nice. but that's probably not what will happen, knowing RNG and luck (no, not "luck"))

funny how awful RNG is more frustrating that all the tough stuff at the start of the game. starting the game in the middle of the crimson and monsters appear and are already there 8 seconds after you spawned? nah, fishing for obsidian crates for the lava charm is worse... XD lol
how frustrating... XD

I cant wait for you to enter hardmode and have the jungle be eaten because its the only valid spot for crimson to hit
Actually, I don't think the V takes anything like that into consideration. it will spawn somewhere, and I read some thread that pointed out that it spawns the exact same place on the same world (seed) even if you exit and try again.
with this world having a green dungeon - seriously, what's with it? this is the 4th playthrough since 1.4 is out, and all these worlds have green dungeons... so, anyway, this offers zero hint regarding with side the evil and the hallow will appear in the V.

on the other hand, if the initial transitioning into hardmode wouldn't mess up the jungle, the next question will be smashing altars. because in their "1/3 chance to turn a single corruptible block corrupt/crimson or hallow, which means (probably) stone, the only place where corruptible (i.e. not already crimsoned or hallowed) stone exists is the jungle.
however given some time, clorophyte will start growing, so that should protect its vicinity, meaning that smashing altars should be, probably safe after some time. naturally, fishing is also a possibility, and I will go for it to get enough mythril/orichalc for an anvil - that should give plenty of time for clorophyte to grow too - but seeing this awful RNG with the lava charm, I probably won't bother getting enough ores for armor via fishing.

It is a fun challange regardless, so, thank you again for the idea. and sorry I kinda ended up occupying your thread. I hope though these posts give some tips and inspiration to others too, trying, or considering to try this challange.
though the earlier post with the awful RNG is not that much on the line of crimsoned worlds XD but I think it shows, desides the terrible luck (no, not "luck") that at this point, survival is hardly a concern, and it's definitely a time for prosperity.
this is also a good time to build the things needed later, because once in hardmode, and the place will overrun by herplings and the like, it likely won't really be possible to build in such relative peace until some point.

On a side-note, I wonder about corrupted challange too - I won't try that for now though.
Because the two biomes are quite different.
Crimson has 3 basic monsters since the start, crimera, face monster, and blood crawler,
Corruption has 2, eater of souls and devourer.
Crimera and eater of souls are pretty much each other's equivalents (though eaters will spawn in larger swarms most likely due to the fact that there are hardly anything else to spawn there), but on the other hand, the lack of face monsters would mean that zombie-proof doors aren't that much a must, but, I wonder about the rare devourers, which very rarely appear on the surface too, potencially killing the player early game a few times when trying to secure the spawn, because they will dig through blocks.
There are several other differences too though, like eater of souls dropping shadow armor pieces, so technically with tons of tenacity and luck, one could aquire the full ancient shadow armor - which is equivalent to the shadow armor in every way besides looks - just by killing lots of eater of souls from safety (like with a similar trap I used to catch the torch zombie early game) with an ebonwood sword. Sounds like - the devourers aside - corruption would be a lot more forgiving, or offer a very high-tier armor from pretty much the start (with tons of luck and tenacity)

Back
Top Bottom