Terraria Challenge Ideas 1 - Corrupted or Crimsoned World Challenge

@Quba
Looks like it turned into mostly a boss rush at the end? I think it was pretty similar on my playthrough too, I wonder why is it so, what we tend to tackle a large part of hardmode as a boss rush, instead of taking it slow?
I kinda think it might does something with that most builds are done in pre-hardmode, as well as most explorations. there's still a lot to farm early hardmode, gearing up and getting some other things too, maybe, that can take a while, such as the ankh shield. and, like that, most of those stuff are done pre-mech bosses. there's still the quest for life fruits after, but after that is done, there's really not much else to do...? Besides fighting bosses and such.

I mean, certainly could do other stuff, but most relevant treasures are found, so no much more point in mining or farming for stuff (the exception is the post-plantera dungeon), and most builds are already done too. This is somewhat on the line what I noted on with the spider furniture set in the other (start in hardmode) playthrough, that I never really used it much before, because it's hardmode, and most houses are basically done by that time. although this is not always the case, since I did used crystal furnitures in some other playthrough, but still happens in several playthroughs, that the hardmode furniture sets won't be used much. Which is kinda sad... XD
That's what I thought too. There just wasn't anything left for me to do that wasn't bosses. Technically I could have look for more clorophyte for bullets but I already had a lot of them or the Martian Probe but I didn't have any luck with that so I gave up. The only thing that would have made sence to grind was post-Plantera Dungeon but even then there were only 2 things I would have wanted (Rifle Scope and Master Ninja Gear parts) so after I got the achivement I didn't bother going back to it.

As for the conclusion, it's very interesting.
You often see people saying "crimson is harder than corruption" but it appears so, that that's not the case. That saying maybe comes from that eater of souls aren't that very tough with proper gear, and that devourers are otherwise very rare. on the usual playthrough. but you certainly will see them sometimes if you live in the corruption. and a barricaded door won't stop them, unlike it does with the crimson's walking creatures.

This is verys interesting too, because on the usual playthrough, devourers are quite uncommon, you sometimes would even forget they exist...? (well, I usually play crimson maps though, so what do I know XD) but it appears so, that they're something like the unsung heroes of the corruption's monster arsenal, boasting with quite the power.
Keep in mind that I only played the Corruption version and have some normal Crimson experience so I could be wrong about this. Maybe I underestimated how strong Crimson monsters acctually are.

So, yeah, I agree that the start of the game is the most interesting part of the challange, because you have to figure out how to survive there. I do think I enjoyed the whole playthrough too though, including fishing (why you say you didn't like that, if you say you like fishing? though I agree it can be tedious...) but the most fun part was probably mid pre-hardmode with the crimson armor, katana and ruby staff, in Flann's case.
I enjoyed my time fishing but it was deffinitly the least eventfull time I spend playing. For a few real life days all that I would do in terraria is sleep, fish and wait for the Travelling Merchant.

Really interesting and fun playthroughs. Thank you for telling about your adventures on the corrupted side of the challange. It was very interesting and fun to read about it!
Thank you! It was also really fun to read your posts about my updates and your original adventures too.

That's what I thought too. There just wasn't anything left for me to do that wasn't bosses. Technically I could have look for more clorophyte for bullets but I already had a lot of them or the Martian Probe but I didn't have any luck with that so I gave up. The only thing that would have made sence to grind was post-Plantera Dungeon but even then there were only 2 things I would have wanted (Rifle Scope and Master Ninja Gear parts) so after I got the achivement I didn't bother going back to it.

This actually makes me wonder, what could be done there - like with mods or something - to give a bit more part to mid-late hardmode, so it wouldn't be just a boss rush... but I don't really have any good ideas out of the blue...

Keep in mind that I only played the Corruption version and have some normal Crimson experience so I could be wrong about this. Maybe I underestimated how strong Crimson monsters acctually are.

Well, since we both played just one half of it, it would be quite difficult to tell XD lol
The crimson definitelly has some tough monsters too, such as herplings, floaty gross (which goes though walls. but is underground only) or ichor stickers (also underground only, depending on the area, it can be hard to dodge their ranged attacks)
but the surface features no ranged anemy for example, which means a little bit easier to pass though there, if you can dodge the herplings... and there are no worm-type enemies either.

I enjoyed my time fishing but it was deffinitly the least eventfull time I spend playing. For a few real life days all that I would do in terraria is sleep, fish and wait for the Travelling Merchant.

I think that's actually a bad approach of stuff regarding the sleep mechanic. I tried that too, perticularly if wanted to fight a boss requiring nighttime and there wasn't really anything to do the daytime, but, sleep mechanic might spoils us a bit with being able to make time flow faster, so we can skip uneventful times, but... they're part uneventful because we just slept through them.

On the current (start in hardmode) playthrough, where fishing, and likewise the traveling merchant too, are very important, I tried like, usually
4:30 - 8:00 a.m. fishing (not all day, but often). then go adventuring. if traveling merchant arrived then check his wares (one time he drowned though by the time I wanted to talk him. seriously, this bug in NPC AI is so annoying. why would he spawn in a lake out of all places?!) then, IF return home by the evening from adventuring, then spend some more time with fishing. until 7:30. after that, sometimes sleep, but most of the time, go for adventuring.

The main things I needed were crates first, and I still need more (mythril and higher tier crates) but spending all time with just fishing would been super boring, so, that's why I think we shouldn't skip ahead that often. and the traveling merchant is very random, no point waiting for him. it's great if he visits, but if he doesn't, then nothing much we can do about it. he often doesn't shows up for like a whole in-game week... XD
sometimes the time is just not right for a boss fight or something while it's good to skip some time, but doing it too often can make things very boring, that's what I think.

Thank you! It was also really fun to read your posts about my updates and your original adventures too.
Yes, thank you for sharing them, and likewise thank you for your comments on my posts too.
It was a really fun challange to do, and a really fun challange to read about!

I didn't expect to make another update but here's an update mini.

So I tried fighting Moon Lord again becouse I came up with some ideas to help me fight him. The first idea was to use a texture pack to change how he looks so I could see his projectiles better. It deffinitly helped out a bit but I still wasn't able to beat him. And then I came up with another idea, one so dumb it could have actually worked. Basiclly the plan was this: load up on a bunch of buffs and chlorphyte bullets and equip the Shrimpy Truffle (Duke Fishron expert drop mount). The way Cute Fishron works is that if you're under 50% health (or in water/rain) he gets a huge boost to speed, making him faster then Moon Lord so I could just fly in a single direction keep shooting behind me and eventually Moon Lord died. His big lazer attack is still very dangerous but it can be avoided by placing a bed on a floating island and using a recall potion (Mirror/Cellphone could also work but they're slower) whenever you see him start firing.
20201001202747_1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom