Terraria Challenge Ideas 1 - Corrupted or Crimsoned World Challenge

I'm back with some new updates.

After learning that you can craft evil powders and some reaserch I would like to retract my statement about how farming Brain of Cthulhu is easier then Eater of Worlds. Eater of Worlds is a joke if you prepare a little, if you build a platform that's high enough and still in Corruption EoW will not be able to charge at you (most of the time) and his expert mode special attack (Vile Spit) is rendered useles if you have a flail, which you can get from a shadow orb.
20200907154807_1.jpg

If you pack enough healing items and ammo it just becomes a matter of time before you win, which I eventualy did.
20200907210013_1.jpg

Some other things that happened

I accidently didn't cover entire world with corruption and while expolring the east side of my world I found this area.

20200907155655_1.jpg

Had a Blood Moon and 2 Goblin Invasions happen thanks to which I got one of my favorite items (Money Trough).

20200907160041_1.jpg

And finaly thanks to my profits from the events and EoW I was able to buy a Minishark.

20200907210202_1.jpg

@Quba
That's really awesome!
I think in the end, EoW/BoC is easier on expert, than EoC? And you can get awesome armors, weapons, and many more stuff from them (dryad, meteor, and tons of profit from crimtane/demonite bars if you farm them)

Funny you found a pure area XD I actually found some too, where I did not turned it to crimson - not counting floating islands which I left pure anyway. - I found a few very small patches of green grass... guess where? on the top of the 2nd entrance of the chasms XD lol, I would assumed that area is naturally all crimson by worldgen, but it's not, huh? and it stayed pure until hardmode, because crimstone can't affect grass (or anything else) pre-hardmode.

Also, quite fortunate getting a money though. it's a really useful item indeed.

This seems like a very interesting challenge! I wonder if the same would be possible for other biomes. For example, a jungle-only world or a snowy one. How easy would it be to accomplish such a thing with TEdit? Would it be just as easy as creating a Crimson or Corruption-themed world?

This seems like a very interesting challenge! I wonder if the same would be possible for other biomes. For example, a jungle-only world or a snowy one. How easy would it be to accomplish such a thing with TEdit? Would it be just as easy as creating a Crimson or Corruption-themed world?
As far as I know you can't make worlds like that in TEdit (unless you spend hours doing so manualy), Biome Morph has 4 options: purify, corruption, crimson and hallow. Maybe it could be possible with some plugins but I don't know how to do that.

As for the difficulty I would say that the only biomes that could be challanging are jungle (many tough enemies at the start of the game), desert (sand would destroy a lot of natural caves + tough enemies) and hallow but only in hardmode becouse before that it would just be a forrest world with diffrent trees.

Aww, that's a shame. It would be a cool option, not just for challenges. A world made of a single biome really gives me sci-fi planet vibes.

Sorry it took so long but I'm back with another update.

First off Bosses

20200908183544_1.jpg

I took down Eye of Cthulhu and just as I started fighting him slime rain started but I wasn't able to kill King Slime becouse I had almost no ammo when he spawned so I still haven't killed him.
While also on the topic of EoC I was pleasantly supprised by his Expert drop. I knew what it was but it didn't sound that interesting but I was proven wrong, dashing around with it is really fun.

While exploring the jungle for a Bee Hive in the jungle I was really luck and one of the hornets droped a Bezoar (2% chance) so I didn't have to worry about being poisoned during my Fight with Queen Bee but even with that advantage my first serious fight with her ended like this
20200911152813_1.jpg

Thankfully my second attempt went better
20200911153859_1.jpg

Before I tried dealing with Skeletron I beat Torch God.
20200912125332_1.jpg

And finally I delt with Skeletron. He was supprisingly easy, it took me one serious attempt to beat him and I used less healing potions then with Queen Bee. The Bee's Knees + Hive Pack made quick work of him.
20200912130006_1.jpg

And now for some non-boss related updates

20200908181243_1.jpg

I have collected all of the pieces of the Ancient Shadow Armor (And 4 bonus pants + 1 bonus helmet)

I already killed over 1000 Eaters of Souls
20200910132254_1.jpg

And finally I improved my bases

This is how it originaly looked
20200909004457_1.jpg

And here's what it looks like currently
20200912130913_1.jpg
20200912130909_1.jpg

20200912130904_1.jpg

I also made bases for other Biomes

Hallow

20200912131057_1.jpg

Jungle

20200912131103_1.jpg

Snow

20200911212305_1.jpg

And finally Ocean

20200912131114_1.jpg

It was tougher to build than I expected becouse unlike my western ocean, the seafloor is much higher so I had to build this staircase to reach the pure ocean biome.

And to finish this update here's some stuff that I learned about my world while expoloring and thanks to TEdit.

My world has no Pyramid so I can't get Sandstorm in a Bottle. Do you think that I should be allowed to spawn one in my world using TEdit or should I see it as a part of the challange (In case you didn't know Pyramid loot doesn't apear in crates).

Another structure that doesn't exist in my world is the Living Tree but it's not that big of a problem since the only thing I'm really missing is the increaed gnome spawn rate around them.

And finally just as in @Sora_92 world there's no Lava Charm in my world so I'll have to go fishing.

I'll make my next update after I enter hardmode (unless something really interesting happens)

@Quba
That's quite the big update! Lots of things happened indeed!

Great job defeating those bosses!

The bases look quite decent too, though they're quite simple. (I kinda wonder though, why you built the ocean town at the eastern ocean, if you say that the western ocean is better?)

I agree that T-edit can be a huge help XD There would been no point looking for things like lava charm, if there's not one in the world. There was no pyramid on my map either, but not even a blizzard in a bottle, so I tried to go for the tsunami in a bottle. I had several clouds, but tsunami is a bit better. I also got the thing at some point for fart in a jar, but I just hate that XD lol, so went for the tsunami instead, and combined it with baloon pufferfish and lucky horseshoe, it's better than the cloud, though probably not as good as sandstorm.

But I'm pretty sure it's okay to "cheat in" a sandstorm in a bottle, if you want it, since you can't get it any other way without it being there from the start in a pyramid.
Same goes for lava charm, if you have no luck with RNG with lava fishing.

It's also kinda odd that there's no living tree. It do happens, I had some worlds like that too, but here they could be even more important, and quite helpful to even out odds a bit with the luck boost gnomes provide.

Before fighting WoF, maybe set up lights on the whole surface, it will come handy in hardmode too.
And try to stock up on a few things, like Prismites, because if there is a lake in the hallow (of hallow-ish jungle) you can catch those, and if you managed to get waterleaf
(if not yet, maybe try to get some. check T-edit for herb bags, and if you still don't have any seeds, then place some sand somewhere and wait for it to grow - and protect it from falling stars until it's ready for harvest)
with those, you can make lifeforce potion, that will come in very handy against WoF too, and other bosses too, after, in hardmode. and right now, the hallow spawns normal forest enemies, so it's quite peaceful.

Getting the cell phone also could be good this time, if you want it.
And maybe build a surface mushroom biome so the truffle can move it at the start of hardmode, and you don't have to build his house under barrage from corruptors and stuff.
Also, you probably did it already, but don't forget to loot the dungeon.

@Quba
That's quite the big update! Lots of things happened indeed!

Great job defeating those bosses!

The bases look quite decent too, though they're quite simple. (I kinda wonder though, why you built the ocean town at the eastern ocean, if you say that the western ocean is better?)

I agree that T-edit can be a huge help XD There would been no point looking for things like lava charm, if there's not one in the world. There was no pyramid on my map either, but not even a blizzard in a bottle, so I tried to go for the tsunami in a bottle. I had several clouds, but tsunami is a bit better. I also got the thing at some point for fart in a jar, but I just hate that XD lol, so went for the tsunami instead, and combined it with baloon pufferfish and lucky horseshoe, it's better than the cloud, though probably not as good as sandstorm.

But I'm pretty sure it's okay to "cheat in" a sandstorm in a bottle, if you want it, since you can't get it any other way without it being there from the start in a pyramid.
Same goes for lava charm, if you have no luck with RNG with lava fishing.

It's also kinda odd that there's no living tree. It do happens, I had some worlds like that too, but here they could be even more important, and quite helpful to even out odds a bit with the luck boost gnomes provide.

Before fighting WoF, maybe set up lights on the whole surface, it will come handy in hardmode too.
And try to stock up on a few things, like Prismites, because if there is a lake in the hallow (of hallow-ish jungle) you can catch those, and if you managed to get waterleaf
(if not yet, maybe try to get some. check T-edit for herb bags, and if you still don't have any seeds, then place some sand somewhere and wait for it to grow - and protect it from falling stars until it's ready for harvest)
with those, you can make lifeforce potion, that will come in very handy against WoF too, and other bosses too, after, in hardmode. and right now, the hallow spawns normal forest enemies, so it's quite peaceful.

Getting the cell phone also could be good this time, if you want it.
And maybe build a surface mushroom biome so the truffle can move it at the start of hardmode, and you don't have to build his house under barrage from corruptors and stuff.
Also, you probably did it already, but don't forget to loot the dungeon.
Ocean Base was build becouse it was the only biome on the eastern side that I could make a pylon for. It's not as useful now becouse I noticed that there was a place with Snow biome between the Corruption on the ground and Forrest in the sky so I have a better place to travel to dungeon.

I have all of the bottles (except fart but I don't count it) I mostly just want Sandstorm so I can make Bundle of Baloons.

Thankfully gnomes aren't a Living Tree exclusive enemies but they are very rare, If I remember correctly I found 3 but I was only able to collect 1 becouse I didn't know how to capture them at that time.

I actualy have all herb from the bags that I already found and I already set up a small greenhouse behind my home.

I don't think I'm going to farm for the cell phone, I already got some of the materials but unless I'm really close to combining some accesories I'm going to ignore that for now.

@Quba
If you can find a magic conch, it kind of nullifies the need for the ocean pylon by the way. Also, look for lava conch too. you might catch some fishing in lava. they're very useful too.

But yeah, it's convinient to have a pylon near the dungeon, that's why I set up the mushroom one right behind the dungeon.

Oh, yes, bundle of balloons is awesome. but it won't protect you from fall dmg. You can (if you're fine with them taking 2 accessory slots) combine the horseshoe with the sharkron balloon, and equip the bundle on balloon in another slot. with flog leg (or its derivates), and terraspark boots (or such) you have crazy mobility, likely better than the lowest tier wings. and you can replace the sharkron balloon with wings and you will your harpy or such mid-tier wings work like end-game wings or something.

Well, yes, gnomes aren't exclusive to living trees, but they're much more common there.

Yes, I seen that small brick greenhouse. but I don't think I seen waterleaf there, that's why I wasn't sure. you could make one just for waterleaf or something. it could come in handy for lifeforce potions.

And, sure, cell phone isn't a must, but it can be quite useful.

It's been a while but as I promised here's my next update

First some smaller things.

My dungeon generated with a room with no way to enter it. I looked for a place with a cracked dungeon wall and confirmed it later with TEdit and there was no entrence but thankfully there was nothing inside.

20200913132723_1.jpg

I've finally had another slime rain happen so I was able to kill King Slime and during the event I also got my first summoning weapon the Slime Staff

20200913172500_1.jpg
20200913172840_1.jpg

After that I finally made my way to the Underworld

20200915125641_1.jpg

And to finish off this section I made some new and upgraded my old bases.

I made a Glowing Mushroom base right next to the dungeon.
20200915235958_1.jpg

And in the Underworld I build the Hanging Hell Hotel
20200922162309_1.jpg

Buidling it was harder then I expected, it was originally much higher but it was considered to be in Corruption so I had to keep moving it lower untill NPC's could move in and then even lower so they wouldn't complain about Corruption being to close.

There were also some smaller updates to my other bases like adding pools to Forrest, Snow and Glowing mushroom and finishing up my Ocean base.

And now for the thing that made the time between my last update so long. Fishing

Before I entered Hardmode I wanted to get 2 things: a Bundle of Balloons and Terraspark Boots but both of them needed an item that I didn't have in my world (1 more Shiny Red Balloon and Lava Charm) so the only way to get them was fishing.

I first took care of getting the Baloon so I made a small fishing shack right above my jungle base
20200916184810_1.jpg

It took me 8 Sky crates before I got 1 Shiny Red Ballon, the other 7 only got me Lucky Horseshoes

While I was fishing I was also doing the Angler quests and I got really lucky with my rewards.
I did 39 quests and I got: all of the components of the Fish Finder and the Angler Tackle Bag, 2 Golden Nets, Minecarp and some bonus parts for the accesories.
Speaking of the Fish Finder I maneged to get the Cell Phone but the hardest part to get was... Stopwatch. I had to grind a bit for the Depth Meter but it didn't take long, I already had a Compas, Radar, Tally Counter, Lifeform Analyzer and the DPS Meter, I found the Lost Girl the first time I tried to look for her and I got the Fish Finder parts as I was Fishing but getting the Stopwatch was very annoying, I think that for the entire time I spend playing, the Travelling Merchent showed up around 5 times.

And finally to finish off my fishing adventures I was looking for the Lava Charm. It took me 75 crates but I mannaged to get it, I was planing to give up and cheat one in if I managed to fill 2 chests (80 slots) with the Obsidian Lock Boxes but thankfully I got lucky.
20200922161323_1.jpg
20200922161326_1.jpg

So after finishing things up I finally tried fighting the Wall of Flesh
1600788478363.png

And I almost won on my first attempt

20200922163030_1.jpg

But I was able to beat him on my third try
20200922165423_1.jpg

The Challange is still enjoyable but at this point it doesn't really feal like a challange, all of the problems that living in a fully corrupted world brings aren't an issue anymore but I'll see how much entering Hardmode will change things.
I'm not sure when I'll post my next update, maybe after killing mech bosses but I'm not gonna promise anything.

@Quba
Nice progress!

As for the dungeon, you can mine dungeon bricks with molten pickaxe, so, you could get into that room too.

Also nice job with fishing. And lava charm is still being a pain it seems XD lol though you actually got one at least. XD
You know that obsidial lock boxes stack though, right? did you put them there one-by-one intentionally?
Also, that you can catch obsidian crates (and hellstone crates in hardmode) in lava, regardless of depth? So, a lava level (but not underworld) fishing spot works just as great, without the really annoying underworld enemies. and of course a surface lava lake would work too, if you get the endless lava bucket. you need lava bait first which can be found in hell, but you don't need to fish there.

Also, yeah, it's not really challanging late-pre-hardmode, but I'm curious how it is early hardmode.

@Quba
Nice progress!

As for the dungeon, you can mine dungeon bricks with molten pickaxe, so, you could get into that room too.

Also nice job with fishing. And lava charm is still being a pain it seems XD lol though you actually got one at least. XD
You know that obsidial lock boxes stack though, right? did you put them there one-by-one intentionally?
Also, that you can catch obsidian crates (and hellstone crates in hardmode) in lava, regardless of depth? So, a lava level (but not underworld) fishing spot works just as great, without the really annoying underworld enemies. and of course a surface lava lake would work too, if you get the endless lava bucket. you need lava bait first which can be found in hell, but you don't need to fish there.

Also, yeah, it's not really challanging late-pre-hardmode, but I'm curious how it is early hardmode.
I knew that I could mine my way into that room I just thought that it was interesting that something like this could even generate.

I knew that the boxes can stack I just wanted to have a better visual on how many I had left before I was plannig to give up. I also knew that I could make a pool of lava on the surface but I already had the giant pool in the underworld so I didn't see a reason to make one on the surface, since I had the Imp Staff I could just sit and fish and not worry about any enemies (except Vodoo Demons). I don't think I'm going to fish in lava again, I already have all of items from it's pool (except for the Obsidian Swordfish but I wouldn't use it anyway) and there're no quests in there.

As far as I know you can't make worlds like that in TEdit (unless you spend hours doing so manualy), Biome Morph has 4 options: purify, corruption, crimson and hallow. Maybe it could be possible with some plugins but I don't know how to do that.

As for the difficulty I would say that the only biomes that could be challanging are jungle (many tough enemies at the start of the game), desert (sand would destroy a lot of natural caves + tough enemies) and hallow but only in hardmode becouse before that it would just be a forrest world with diffrent trees.
unsure if anyone else has brought this up, but you can straight replace blocks with their ice counterparts. This would require balancing to ensure the game was still beatable legitimately, such as: Leaving sky islands for stone, Leaving the Temple and some Jungle, and leaving the Dungeon. There might be some other stuff too, and it wouldn't be nearly as elegant as the Evil World (nor as insanely difficult as not the bees).

@Quba
I seen dungeons like that before. it happens, although rare.

well, if they stack, you can see the numbers there. but I guess this is more visual in a way.
and, well, even with imp staff, hell enemies are annoying, perticularly imps. even if hellbats will fill the spawn cap after some time. but, you could fish much more peacefully somewhere elsewhere.

there is no real need to fish more in lava. though if you do have the equipments, it can be a good way to aquire hardmode ores, via crates.

@Actual Real Caveman
If that is possible to do, it would be interesting too. If you actually leave some jungle though (however odd it would look like in a snowy place) then you can aquire the furnace via merchant. and there might be some stone too in the jungle - I don't think it generates on sky islands anyway.

there are probably many other balance issues though. catching bait would be quite difficult there too, because the only critter native to the snow biome is the penguin. it's sill more than what evil biomes have, boasting with an awesome amount of... well... zero critters XD (so, you probably would, like in crimson & sorruption challange, depend on jungle bugs as bait and other stuff from canned worms, or bait from crates and angler quests. - the exception is, you would have a staple supply of roast bird XD)

otherwise, snow doesn't really offers much. in pre-hardmode, it's only ice slimes on the surface. the underground is tougher, but it's still a biome just a tiny bit more difficult then purity/forest.

@Quba
I seen dungeons like that before. it happens, although rare.

well, if they stack, you can see the numbers there. but I guess this is more visual in a way.
and, well, even with imp staff, hell enemies are annoying, perticularly imps. even if hellbats will fill the spawn cap after some time. but, you could fish much more peacefully somewhere elsewhere.

there is no real need to fish more in lava. though if you do have the equipments, it can be a good way to aquire hardmode ores, via crates.
Acctualy Imps were the second least threatning enemy (first was Bone Serpant), a single summoned Imp can stun lock a normal Imp so it can never attack you and on the rare chance that one teleports into the NPC houses he would be delt with by the Clohier and Demolitionist.

Acctualy Imps were the second least threatning enemy (first was Bone Serpant), a single summoned Imp can stun lock a normal Imp so it can never attack you and on the rare chance that one teleports into the NPC houses he would be delt with by the Clohier and Demolitionist.
Bone serpents are annoying, but much rarer than imps. the imp staff's imps can stun-lock an enemy imp, but aren't always that fast to do so, which means you might need to dodge or actually fight, which can be quite annoying those times. or that's how it happened for me. you would have things easier above - although unlike in crimson, you have the worm type devourers which might be a pain in the lava layer...

Back with my next update

Entering hardmode deffinitly made the challenge harder compered to the normal playthrough again. Looking at my expirence with Crimson + wiki I would also say that the Corruption version of this challange is harder then the Crimson version. Corruption adds more enemies and most of them are harder to deal with and appear more commonly, for example 2 of the new Crimson enemies can only spawn in water so you're safe from them most of the time and in Corruption you have to deal with 3 new enemies that can go through walls.

As I mentioned in my previous post I have delt with all of the mech bosses

20200926143202_1.jpg
20200927153447_1.jpg
20200927180412_1.jpg

They weren't as hard as I expected especialy Skeletron Prime, I've heard how annoying fighting him is supposed to be but I beat him on my first try.

I also beat the Pirate Invasion... as long as you count creating 4 diffrent graveyards as winning.
20200925190653_1.jpg

And I also fought against Queen Slime for the first time
20200927181405_1.jpg

I had no idea how she fought and I didn't prepare much before but I barely managed to win but I had to fly quite far from where I started the battle to survive and heal.

And now for the reason why I wanted to write this update and not just wait for more stuff to happen... my luck.
I have no idea what happened but playing through the beginning of hardmode was filled with the biggest amount of luck I've ever experienced while playing Terraria.

To start of, my Wall of Flesh drop was the Firecracker (One of the new whips) doesn't sound that great commpered to other rewards right ? That was what I thought until I realized that the whip generated a lot of light so it was a great help while exploring and it was able to damage enemies that can go through walls so I didn't have to worry about any worm enemies, Clingers or the flying weapons.
20200927180915_1.jpg

The first night of hardmode was a Blood Moon and 2 nights later another one happened.

While I was collecting Souls of Light one of the first Enchanted Swords I killed (I think it was like fifth) droped the Blade Staff.

And finally there's this
20200927133908_1.jpg

I have crafted the Ankh Shield. This screenshot was taken between the time I killed The Twins and The Destroyer, I have no idea why all of the items were dropping so often, I got the Nazar from the third Cursed Hammer I killed, I got 2 Megaphones and Blindfolds while I was grinding for Dark Shards, the only part that didn't just appear in my inventory was Armor Polish and even that droped very quickly. It was honestly harder to get the Stopwatch from the Travelling Merchent then it was to build this shield.

My next update will either be after Duke Fishron or maybe even after I beat the challange, depends on whether something interesting happens.

Last edited:
Well this is it, my final update.

The next thing on the list was collecting Live Fruit/Chlorophyte and dealing with Plantera. Finding them wasn't that hard thanks to my Metal Finder and after getting max health I tried beating Plantera.
20200930134632_1.jpg

And just as with many bosses before it I was supprised how well it went. Plantera is one of the bosses that I often hear people talk about how hard she is but I was able to kill her on my first serious attempt.
Also since I'm talking about the jungle I would like to show this.

20200929191950_1.jpg

I don't know how common Minecart tracks that are this long are but this is the biggest one I have ever seen. It goes through the entire jungle and the hollow surrounding it.

The next thing to do was getting to the Jungle Temple and...
20200930140145_1.jpg

...beating Golem. This was the fight I was shocked the most when I won. I went to the temple right after beating Plantera and I wasn't planing on fighting him becouse I ran out of all of my buffs and I didn't have any more on me (except one piece of food) but I somehow manneged to win.

Some time after that something I killed droped the Corruption Key for the chest in the dungeon so I went to get it.
20200930152040_1.jpg

Scourge of the Corruptor is a good weapon but unfortunatly it wasn't of much use to me becouse I was focusing on ranged damage (why is it a melee weapon anyway ? If they wanted to have one of every weapon type in the biome chests they could have made it a spear)

After that I tried doing some events. First one was the Solar Eclipse, my luck didn't dissaper and I got a lot of good loot for it for example a Godly Butcher's Chainsaw and some Nail Gun's which I used as a weapon for some time. Also I forgot that unlike Frost and Pumpkin Moon, Solar Eclipse happens during the day so I used the tablet moments before night started but it still counted as me beating the event.
20200930165257_1.jpg

My next goal was to try beating Pumpkin or Frost Moon but I didn't want to wait for the pumpkins to grow so I tried to do Frost Moon. Unfortunatly I didn't mannage to get to wave 15 but I stil managed to get the Chaingun from Santa-NK1.

Next boss on the list was Duke Fishron.
20200930174517_1.jpg

And once again I delt with a boss quicker then I expected.

And now for the ending.
I went out to kill the Lunatic Cultist.
20200930194739_1.jpg

He acctually took me 3 times to beat, the first time I didn't know that he had a homing damage reduction and the second time I accidently used my Cellphone and I ended the fight prematurely. After Cultist it was time for the Pillars, the easiest one to beat for me was Stardust and the hardest Nebula becouse I ran out of Chlorophyte bullets and I couldn't buy more musket bullets becouse the pillar was on top of the base that the Arms Dealer was living in (I know I could move him and wait for him to teleport but I didn't want to).
And after that it was time to beat Moon Lord...
20201001001123_1.jpg

I gave up. Fighting Moon Lord was honestly the most annoying thing in the entire playthrough, I tried fighting him 9 times (1 form the events and 8 form cheated spawn items) and I didn't get him to half health a single time. I wasn't having any fun trying to beat him so unfortunatly this is where the adventures of Corra the Corruption world Citizen ended.

And now for my final thoughts on the challange.

I had a lot of fun with this playthrough, it gave a unique spin on how you would normally play the game especially at the beginning of the playthrough. This was also my first expert and 1.4 playthrough so it added a lot to enjoyment of this run. If I was to compere the 2 versions of this challenge I think that Corruption is a little harder, in early game Devouerers are the worst enemy you can encounter, worse then all of the enemies from Crimson, and as I mentioned in my previous post I think that hardmode Corruption is harder then Crimson.
If I had to pick my favorite part of the challange it would be from the moment you start the game to when you kill Queen Bee. It puts you in a situation where everything you would usually do is imposable and it's up to you to figure out how how to survive. As for the worst part it would be late pre-hardmode but that's only becouse I was forcing myself to fish (even though I'm one of the few people who acctually like fishing).

@Quba
Looks like it turned into mostly a boss rush at the end? I think it was pretty similar on my playthrough too, I wonder why is it so, what we tend to tackle a large part of hardmode as a boss rush, instead of taking it slow?
I kinda think it might does something with that most builds are done in pre-hardmode, as well as most explorations. there's still a lot to farm early hardmode, gearing up and getting some other things too, maybe, that can take a while, such as the ankh shield. and, like that, most of those stuff are done pre-mech bosses. there's still the quest for life fruits after, but after that is done, there's really not much else to do...? Besides fighting bosses and such.

I mean, certainly could do other stuff, but most relevant treasures are found, so no much more point in mining or farming for stuff (the exception is the post-plantera dungeon), and most builds are already done too. This is somewhat on the line what I noted on with the spider furniture set in the other (start in hardmode) playthrough, that I never really used it much before, because it's hardmode, and most houses are basically done by that time. although this is not always the case, since I did used crystal furnitures in some other playthrough, but still happens in several playthroughs, that the hardmode furniture sets won't be used much. Which is kinda sad... XD

Back on the playthrough, indeed, Moon lord is horrible. Prior to 1.4, I rarely had trouble fighting him, but now his deathray passes through blocks, and autopause won't work while talking an NPC (only when buying stuff, which doesn't applies in the case of the nurse) suddenly turning Moon Lord very tough. I mean, he is the final boss, but it still takes several attempts even on normal, and it's just crazy on expert... and doing the lunar events again and again would be no fun either. understandable you cheated in some summon items to rematch him. too bad you didn't win...

As for the conclusion, it's very interesting.
You often see people saying "crimson is harder than corruption" but it appears so, that that's not the case. That saying maybe comes from that eater of souls aren't that very tough with proper gear, and that devourers are otherwise very rare. on the usual playthrough. but you certainly will see them sometimes if you live in the corruption. and a barricaded door won't stop them, unlike it does with the crimson's walking creatures.

This is verys interesting too, because on the usual playthrough, devourers are quite uncommon, you sometimes would even forget they exist...? (well, I usually play crimson maps though, so what do I know XD) but it appears so, that they're something like the unsung heroes of the corruption's monster arsenal, boasting with quite the power.

Generally, I think (whether it's a corrupted or crimsoned world) this is a very interesting, and quite fun challange, as long as you have some good plans, and don't give up. It really turns the start of the game upside down with most common resources we take as granted are very hard to aquire at first. such as gel, torches, the furnace, etc. and it all needs a good understanding of the things in the game, from how to acquire these, to how to build suitable houses on a completely corrupted map - that is, aim for the sky!
you also realised some things I din't before, like that gem trees are an interesting alternative way of getting pure stone.

So, yeah, I agree that the start of the game is the most interesting part of the challange, because you have to figure out how to survive there. I do think I enjoyed the whole playthrough too though, including fishing (why you say you didn't like that, if you say you like fishing? though I agree it can be tedious...) but the most fun part was probably mid pre-hardmode with the crimson armor, katana and ruby staff, in Flann's case.

Altogether, a very interesting, fun, and memorable challange, that can change our view a bit on the usual game progression, on material we tend to take as granted, and overall help us learn more about these biomes we might not hate, but generally don't know as much, as other biomes where we usually set up our bases normally.
you would think living in the evil biomes will be a huge pain, but it turns out, they're actually really fun, and aren't that horrible we thought prior (once you get decent gear...) - and that it's not just about survival, but that we can prosper even on these unusual places with some effort.

Really interesting and fun playthroughs. Thank you for telling about your adventures on the corrupted side of the challange. It was very interesting and fun to read about it!

Back
Top Bottom