Terraria Coming To Nintendo Switch in 2017!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If all of Skyrim and it's DLCs can fit in 16gb I'm not remotely concerned about how big Terraria will be. I have Skyrim, Doom, Zelda BOTW, and Mario odyssey installed on a single 64 gb sd card that cost me 15 bucks. If an indie game is massive that's gotta be on the dev. But I am anxiously waiting on the edge of my seat for that release, both for mobile update and for switch.

If you have not been paying attention to the various update threads, it's like this:
  • Console code is the "foundation" of the non-PC codebase moving forward - the trunk of the tree, if you will
  • From that foundation/trunk each version branches... Mobile, Switch, etc
  • This has huge benefits in the future (versus the previous "each version stands alone" approach)
  • However, up front, that means that everything is predicated on the foundation being done.... which its close, but not there yet
  • While work on Mobile and Switch has begun, it can only go so far before having to have that foundation
  • Thus, I don't see Mobile or Switch coming in 2017 - my assumption is that you will see that work pick up hardcore once console is out and stabilized via hotfixes.
  • The GOOD news is that unlike before, where Switch and Mobile would essentially start from scratch, this time they will pick up from where the core version is, mix in what is needed for each version's unique requirements and features, and then be ready to go. That SHOULD be a shorter process.

TLDR: Not in 2017, hopefully sooner rather than later in 2018 - but no one can make any detailed estimates or anything until console is done and the team has a chance to evaluate. Sorry

Last edited:
I guess a switch version is not going to happen this year!? Developing surely takes his time.
I'm looking forward to the release. This game is perfect for taking it everywhere, especially to work :D

There are other concerns with the Switch version not coming out in 2017. I don’t want to spam, so check out my new post in the “Final Push” thread up top.

Hello Terrarians!

Yesterday, we confirmed that Terraria will be launching on Nintendo Switch in 2017. We are very excited to open up Terraria to new users and to be part of the great group of 'Nindies' coming to Nintendo Switch!
Seriously, guys! If you told me that you were releasing Terraria on the Switch on Friday, but it cost $30, I would still buy the game again! Could you people please give us a freakin' update on this or ANYTHING Terraria Otherworld related? Please? Anything?

Seriously, guys! If you told me that you were releasing Terraria on the Switch on Friday, but it cost $30, I would still buy the game again! Could you people please give us a freakin' update on this or ANYTHING Terraria Otherworld related? Please? Anything?
There is nothing to update on. The Switch version is being worked on after the PS4/XB1 console patch is released. It's expected to take a couple of months after that. Since the console patch hasn't released yet, the Switch version is still a long ways off.

There is nothing to update on. The Switch version is being worked on after the PS4/XB1 console patch is released. It's expected to take a couple of months after that. Since the console patch hasn't released yet, the Switch version is still a long ways off.
I really hope that what you just said is the case, because I would love to lorde over the Dev's the simple fact that they gave a 2017 Switch Release time frame and failed, again, to meet that time frame. It's like watching a train wreck, you don't want to look away, but you're pretty sure you know what comes next. You're entertained, but never surprised.

What a shame.

Except it has been clearly communicated ad nauseum that Mobile and Switch are all predicated on completing the new core codebase. Heck, I even said so above on this very page. :p

Since that core codebase took a good bit longer than anyone thought, it has knock-on effects to any items that are reliant on it. So, its the same "issue" if you will, just downstream impacts.

Except it has been clearly communicated ad nauseum that Mobile and Switch are all predicated on completing the new core codebase. Heck, I even said so above on this very page. :p
In my defense, I didn't read through the 11 pages of responses to the main thread, given that those 11 pages surely don't have periodic updates from the developers.
Since that core codebase took a good bit longer than anyone thought, it has knock-on effects to any items that are reliant on it. So, its the same "issue" if you will, just downstream impacts.
'Anyone' is setting a record for the amount of inaccurate predictions they've made. I begin to wonder how long it would take them to eat lunch, I imagine it's more like they never necessarily eat "lunch" per se, but rather just subsist on a constant food influx trickling in. The way 'Anyone' manages their time and effort (new game, new update for old game, revamping entire old game to unify it to all devices, redeploying old game to each device supported), it's a wonder they have time to breathe! I wonder what would happen if 'Anyone' just focused on one thing at a time, maybe they'd actually finish something they started! XD

Three years later, still feels like it's gone no where. Uhuh. Yyyyyup.

@Aetelas but are you in their shoes? Have you been trying to tear down and recreate what the original creator did with an entirely different codebase? The old codebase was only as stable as Engine left it. I'm sure if it were warranted Pipeworks might've been able to further optimize the Vita and old gen versions at least so that they could be smoother overall. The coding for Terraria is as I understand it sort of like MineSweeper. If you hit one mine they all go off. That said if you fix one thing it might've triggered 10 other things to go wrong or worse. I've never coded for a fully fledged game before but I have messed around with a freeware fighting game Engine called M.U.G.E.N. You can script any character into the game and give them unique attacks and damage values. Sometimes 10 bugs happen within the character's code just by fixing one bit of code. My point is that nothing is ever as easy as you think it is and don't give me that "But it's a 2D game it should be easy as pi!". They are bound to run into some complications and if you've been around here for a long time you'd rather see a well done, smooth, and nearly bug free game updated rather than having them say screw it and give the update now. I think Pipeworks is doing great and from what's been said they are focusing on console first...not Switch or mobile yet.

Except they have been focused on one thing - a full rewrite of Console from the ground up that also incorporates 1.3 content. What else would they be focused on? :p

I am unaware of a parallel situation having ever been attempted on consoles - much less with a multimillion unit seller. This is without analog. Took a few delays, for sure... and not one soul wanted that... but its getting there....

Three years? Three years ago, PC was on 1.2.4.... Console was just about to get 1.2.2 (less Frost Moon)... and Pipeworks wasn't even involved.

I get the frustration... but I am not really entirely sure what you are getting at. :)

This is a free update to a game that released 6 years ago. I wish more developers gave this much time and dedication to their fan base.
PC + Xbox 360 controller player here, but I'll be in line to pick up a copy for Switch when it comes out! And Otherworld, as well.

As for game data size, memory/memory card formatting may be partially to blame, but I can't imagine it would bloat a game that much.

Is it gonna be backwards compatible with the Wii U and 3DS? I’d like to get my world and characters back from both of my games. Just wondering about that, it’s kinda important to me. `:indifferent:

Last edited:
So, I'm not sure if anyone else is looking at this thread, but it is 2018, no Terraria for switch. Could someone reply to me when the new release date is coming? I hope it doesn't get delayed again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom