Terraria Community Balance Change Survey

J Bame

Terrarian
Inspired by the discussions in the Official Balance thread, I decided to make a Survey to see what the community thinks of the game's current balance and see what changes should be made to which items. Note that it's extremely unlikely that any balance changes get made after 1.4.2, so this Survey is mostly for fun.

Some things to keep in mind:
  • Be reasonable. Put some thought into your changes, and make sure they would fit in an official version of the game.
  • Base your changes on version 1.4.2 of Terraria. If you are not a PC player and thus don't have access to this version of the game yet, please try to do some reasearch on the changes done on 1.4 onwards.
  • Keep your suggestions focused on Player Equipment (Weapons, Armors, Accessories, Buffs, etc) and maybe some basic stat changes or drop rates for enemies. Changes to general game mechanics that would affect the whole game are a whole different beast.
  • The Survey has room for 20 balance changes, however only the first is mandatory and the rest don't necessarily have to be filled. If you have more than 20 changes you want to submit, make sure to specify what set of changes you are submitting at the beginning. The latter is just so i can more accurately track how many people submit their changes.
  • Even if you don't feel like you're good at the game, I still want you to submit. This isn't looking for an objective analysis, it's just looking for what the average player wants changed, and while skill can factor into that, it's not the whole story.
  • Short/Detailed explanations for your changes are welcomed but aren't necessary.
I will be submitting the results in this thread a week after this thread is posted.

[27/06/21 EDIT] Okay, results are in. A total of 13 answers were submitted, by at least 6 different people. This gives us 192 changes to go through in total.

So let's get started.

Horseman's Blade [3 changes]
    • Use time reduced from 26 to 20
    • Spawns 2 pumpkins on hit instead of 1
    • No longer spawns pumpkins on statues
    • Now also shoots a projectile every swing that also summons a pumpkin upon hitting.
    • Size increased to now reach 6 tiles.
    • damage 75->140
    • Pumpkins can't be spawned from statue enemies.
One of the few Pumpkin Moon weapons that didn't receive any sort of buff in 1.4 nor 1.4.1, yet arguably the one that needed something the most. And this is reflected in how all the changes here want its DPS to be at least doubled. I'd lean towards double damage rather than double pumpkins for performance reasons.

Giving it a projectile and doubling DPS and massively increasing range is pushing it too far, even for a weapon like this.

Vampire knives [3 changes]
    • Spread decreased to 30 degrees.
    • Damage increased to 45.
    • Projectile count can now vary from 3-5
    • Usetime increased to 20.
    • Can heal only 1 health per hit.
    • Healing is hard capped to 8.
    • Begins spinning at roughly 20 tiles range.
    • Cannot deal any damage when spinning begins.
    • Velocity cannot be changed
  1. Healing cap reduced from 30 hp/s to 7.5 hp/s
  2. (Related) Lifesteal on the player reduced from 30 hp/s to 5 hp/s, maximum reduced from 70 hp/s to 20 hp/s.
Varying changes here but the message is the same across all three: 30 health a second is far, far too much for a weapon to grant. And when you realize that the regeneration that this item can give you is higher than every other source of regeneration combined, it's hard to disagree.

Reducing regeneration alongside some compensation DPS buffs should make the weapon actually balanced and not a hyperpolarizing immortality machine that the final boss needs a silver bullet for.

Influx Waver [3 Changes]
    • Projectile velocity increased by 40%;
    • Improves accuracy and lets returning slices hit more often.
  1. Projectile velocity increased
  2. Velocity increased 11->20
Back in the 1.3 days this was considered one of the best Melee weapons in the game, with some even considering one of the best of its tier overall. Now with everything 1.4 added to the game it's a big target for buffs, and unsurprisingly they all aim to do the same thing: letting it hit three times as frequently as possible.

This will result in a big DPS buff against fast moving bosses, and while I'm honestly not sure if this weapon really needs such a big buff (if any at all), improving consistency is always a good thing.

Light Disc [3 changes]
    • Removed stacking mechanic.
    • Damage increased from 57 to 72.
  1. Damage increased from 57 to 70
  2. Improved DPS (better damage and use time)
All good DPS buffs, not surprising given that this weapon is hardly better than the Shadowflame Knife and greatly outclassed by its alternative, the Megashark even outside Ranged builds.

Removing its stacking mechanic indirectly improves its DPS by allowing it to get Modifiers, and that concept hasn't aged well anyways.

North pole [2 changes]
    • Remove penalty for having too many snowflakes active in the world.
    • Snowflakes now have a shorter lifetime.
    • Damage increased 73->100
  1. Projectiles deal full listed base damage and no longer lose damage the more snowflakes are currently alive on the world.
This weapon idea of covering the screen in projectiles doesn't work very well when the projectiles lose more than half their damage from being used that way. For those who aren't aware, the snowflakes spawned by North Pole spawn with 1% less damage than usual for every snowflake above 100, being capped at -80% damage for the 180th snowflake, after which Snowflakes straight up can't spawn anymore.

The first change both removes this rather arbitrary mechanic and deals with any performance issues that may come from doing so by making them last a shorter time.

Removing the falloff and giving it a major damage buff may be going too far; I'd playtest the former change before going any further.

Bananarangs [2 changes]
  1. Remove stacking mechanic and make it work as a normal weapon.
  2. Increase drop rate to a 50% chance to get 1-4 Bananarangs.
First change dramatically increases the availability of this weapon, a good thing given that not only does it compete heavily with Drippler Crippler but I'm also pretty sure no human being has ever obtained 10 of these in a single playthrough.

The second change indirectly buffs DPS by allowing it to get reforges, removes an archaic mechanic from the game, and alleviates some of its availability issues.

Terra Blade [2 changes]
  1. Damage reduced from 115 to 95
  2. Damage reduced 115->100
This weapon got a giant stat buff in the transition from 1.4 to 1.4.1. Most of that was deserved; some of that was not. Both these changes aim to tone it down from where it currently stands.

I would personally nerf the Projectile's damage instead and keep the base damage as-is to encourage going in with the Blade for extra DPS, but I'm probably the only person who is insane enough to like True-Melee.
Shadowflame Knife [2 changes]
  1. Damage increased 38 to 42
  2. Damage increased from 38 to 48
While never top tier this has never really been a bad weapon. It sits in a really good spot where it's easy to obtain and use, consistent, and not too overwhelming anywhere; I get the feeling that buffing weapons like these for not having top-tier DPS will be calling for powercreep, and I'd rather avoid that altogether.

Flairon [3 People]
  1. Increase detection range and lifespan of the bubbles
  2. Overhaul it into a Flail with the new 1.4 mechanics. [2 people]
While the first change fixes its current issues I can't sit here and pretend that current Flail mechanics won't make it WAY more fun to use than it currently is.
Now for simple, one line changes suggested by one person:

* All swords now autoswing by default.

I'm mixed about this. The weapons this applies to could certainly use the buff, but it's not so big that they'd suddenly become good courtesy of it, and I'd rather not make the Feral Claws secondary ability apply to even less things than it already does.

* Increased damage of all prehardmode Ore Broadswords (Copper to Platinum) by 70%.

These swords are all a waste of precious metals so sure, a big damage buff would greatly help hold off early enemies and may even make them considerable for your first boss. Maybe. Just keep in mind that you made a Platinum Broadsword as strong as the current Fiery Greatsword. Do what you want with that information.

* Increased damage of all Hardmode Ore Broadswords, Spears, Breaker Blade, and Cutlass by 40%, and now grant a 30% damage reduction when held. Stacks multiplicatively.

I dont really like where this is going. We'd be going for more and more base stat inflation that would have to carry over to many more fundamentally flawed true melee weapons that still won't be appealing to the average player, and some arbitrary Damage Reduction wouldn't suddenly compensate for their relatively short range not to mention the potential of it enabling some uncounterable face tanking strategy.

I get it, these weapons are bad but this is not what they need.

* Arkhalis Damage increased from 25 to 85
* Psycho Knife Damage increased from 85 to 145.

These two, and by extension the Fetid Baghnakhs are part of a category that will only ever be good for facetanking strategies. Knowing this, what they need is something that would allow such a playstyle to be safe and reliable. Giving them giant damage increases and thus polarizing them even more heavily is just asking for trouble later on as people find more and more ways to exploit them.

* Cascade has "greatly reduced bounciness when hitting enemies"

Ok, I know what this means. The person who wrote this most likely knows what it means too. The question is: do you? Can someone concisely explain to me how much stronger the weapon will be after this change? Do we really want obscure mechanics like these, the effects of which are very hard to understand and calculate, to be something we balance some weapons around? I'd rather not.

* Ice sickle: 5% chance to drop from Ice Tortoises, Armored Vikings, Icy Mermen, and Ice Elemental.

This weapon definitely needs to be more common. Making it literally ten times more likely to drop is probably too common, but it's a good change nonetheless.

* Valor, Muramasa, and Blue Moon inflict a debuff that reduces enemy contact damage.

These three weapons have one thing in common: A weapon very easily obtainable in the Underworld that directly outclasses them. This new gimmick gives them something over their Hell counterparts and increases their longevity a bit.

* Christmas Tree Sword Projectiles now deal full base damage and hover for 0.5 seconds instead of 0.83.

Despite being overhauled this is still a very underwhelming weapon so these buffs are very welcome. The latter change makes it easier to drop the Ornaments into enemies, but it may end up making it too similar to the North Pole.

* Star Wrath's star no longer pierce [actually a buff due to the lack of localImmunity.)
* Meowmere can no longer be reflected by Selenians, Swing speed increased from 16 to 8 (fire rate unaffected).
* Now gives 4f of iframes, capping its hit rate at 15x/s.

Balancing Post Moon Lord content is honestly just a waste of time, so as long as everything is balancedly overpowered I'm fine.

* Flamarang can now stack up to three and pierces 1 enemy.

"Piercing one enemy" doesn't really work for Boomerangs with the way they are coded, and even if it did It wouldn't have the result you are expecting. Stacking up to three won't change anything since no one is going to realistically find 3 Enchanted Boomerangs in one run.

This weapon just needs to deal more damage, really.

* Swordfishes are now shortswords.

Their Sprite is small enough that transitioning from a Spear would barely change anything in practice, yet big enough that It'd probably just look odd.

* Shortswords have more damage and range to be a single target alternative to Spears.

Just remove them from the game honestly.

* Chloro Partisan damage increased from 49 to 65.
* Chloro Saber gains an on hit ability that spawns a Spore directly ontop of the enemy. Spores use static immunity to not conflict with sword's iFrames.
* Chloro Claymore Orb deals double damage and has a large explosion.

Significant buffs to the Chloro Trio of melee weapons. Blanket damage buff to the one with a workable concept, and reworks to the other two to make them more distinct to one another: One would now be a dedicated True Melee weapon while the other would be more focused on its projectile.

They are still powercrept to hell and back by the True Swords, but that's another issue altogether and these changes are a step in the right direction.

* Palladin's hammer: damage 90->100

This weapon has been outclassed since its conception and it only got worse as time went on, so sure, go ahead and give it a little buff.

* Possessed Hatchet Damage increased from 80 to 95.

Much like Shadowflame Knife changes like these are just paving the way for powercreep.

* Kraken damage decreased from 95 to 90.
* The Eye of Cthulhu: damage reduced 115 to 108.

Not really sure what this accomplishes: even if these yoyos were out of line (they aren't) a little token nerf wouldn't change anything.

* "Spears need a rework"
* "Hardmode Spears can now be thrown like Daybreak"

I'm not going to say that I like the current state of Spears right now and that I wouldn't like if they were throwable... but be aware that you are gonna need more than one vague sentence to make that a reality. spears do really need to be throwable though

* Dark Lance Now shoots a projectile that behaves the same way as the Storm Spear's projectile.

Makes this weapon more memorable and, if done right, viable against the Wall of Flesh. Nice change.

* Sky Dragon's Fury: Alternate attack now has knockback

The fact that as someone who is starting to love Sky Dragon Fury this is the first time I've ever heard of this shows how irrelevant of a change it'd be.

* Starlight: Range increased by 50%

Ok I really don't like this weapon very much but as shown by Obsidian Armor increasing range by as much as 50% is a really bold move. Smaller numbers first, please.

Ranged Weapons
Pulse Bow [3 Changes]
  1. Use Time decreased from 20 to 15.
    • Now crafted from 18 Shroomite Bars
    • Use time decreased to 12
    • Has no damage falloff
  2. Now craftable with Shroomite Bars.
One of the coolest weapons in the game, yet locked behind Travelling Merchant RNG that makes it almost impossible to get in any run. Making it craftable with Shroomite Bars fits thematically and makes it a much more obtainable choice for any run.

It's hard to say it needs any stat buff past that, and making it a better Stake Launcher as well as the availability change is definitely going too far.
Darts
Crystal Darts [2 changes]
  1. Loses 10% damage per bounce
  2. Pierce reduced from 7 to 3.
Cursed Darts [2 changes]
  1. Flares deal 80% damage
  2. Cursed flames do not pierce.
Ichor Darts [2 changes]
    • Fixed issue(?) where it pierces at close range
    • Now only split into 2-4 darts upon firing
    • Split darts only deal 80% base damage
    • If the first dart hits the enemy, it will only hit once and then split (rather than hitting twice.
  1. Now deals 20% less damage after splitting.
As I see all three of these Ammo types being targeted for nerfs I wonder what the hell made Re-logic think these needed a buff in 1.4. Some of these are harsher than others, but all would bring the Dart Guns back in line with other weapons.

Tsunami [2 Changes]
  1. Damage reduced from 53 to 45.
  2. Use time increased from 24 to 30.
For a weapon that has been dominating since its conception a DPS nerf is greatly needed. One nerfs damage and other use time, but the goal is the same.

Eventide [2 changes]
    • Leading javelin no longer does 2x damage
    • Damage reduced from 50 to 45
    • All arrows are converted to lances; Lances are stationary for 2 seconds before they fly off.
    • damage 50->60
A tsunami clone in every sense of the word; including having insane DPS. The second change aims to declone it from Tsunami but I'm not really convinced by the concept; it'd be a Xenopopper that's harder to use.

Stake Launcher [2 changes]
  1. Use time increased from 12 to 15
  2. Use time increased from 12 to 16
Much like Terra Blade this weapon got a big buff that went too far. While I'm honestly not 100% sure if a nerf is really needed, toning down the bar for Post Golem weapons is something I'm on board with after all the big meta changes made in 1.4.

Elf Melter [2 changes]
  1. Damage increased from 60 to 100.
    • Damage increased from 60 to 95.
    • Piercing penalty reduced from 15% to 10%.
    • Now only uses one gel per shot.
Yeah just increase its damage by 50% again. The weapon still has range issues and still has an ammo type that is more trouble to amass than it's worth, so giving it great DPS is the least you can do here.

Snowman Cannon [2 changes]
  1. Use Time increased from 15 to 19.
  2. Rockets can now hurt the player.
Definitely a bit over the top in terms of crowd control. However that's a problem caused by its inherent homing ability and not its DPS, so I'm afraid the first change won't do much in the end.

As for the second, don't you dare.

Now for changes suggested by only one person:

* Chlorophyte bullets home in less sharply to encourage higher accuracy from the player.

A nerf to Chloro Bullets that actually deal with the issue they have. This will need a lot of tweaking and playtesting time but it will definitely help make this bullet less centralizing than it currently is.

* Megashark damage reduced from 25 to 21.
* Flamethrower damage increased from 35 to 65.
* Daedalus Stormbow damage reduced from 38 to 32.
* Snowball Cannon: damage reduced 10 to 5. (remember the ammo adds damage too)
* Archery Potion's Damage bonus reduced from 20% to 10%.
* Celebration damage increased from 25 to 75.
* Revert 1.4.1 stat nerf to Quad Barrel Shotgun, keep it at post-Skeletron.
* Bone javelin damage increased from 20 to 25.
* Musket damage reduced from 31 to 28.
* Boomstick bullets per shot decreased from 2-4 to 2-3, damage reduced to 12
* Aerial Bame’s arrows drop off less sharply.

A big list of stat changes. Some may go too far, some may not be needed, but the goal overall is to nerf the most problematic ranged weapons and buff some weak outliers.

* Uzi: Use time increased from 9 to 12, drop rate increased greatly.
No matter how you look at it, grinding for this weapon is a massive waste of time compared to just killing Destroyer with a Bow and crafting Megashark. Making it much easier to get but toning down its DPS should at least make it a more desirable choice for your average run.

* Nano Bullet damage reduced from 15 to 12. No longer lose 33% damage after a bounce.

This change will just make it even more of a clone of Chloro Bullets, a comparison that it already loses in every relevant scenario. I'd much rather come up with a different effect for Nanites altogether, since that will not only make these bullets more unique it will also give an use to the Flask of Nanites.

* Crystal Bullets Shards now ignore defense reduction effects.

This is the kind of arbitrary change that I really don't like, and after all the ranged nerfs that would come with this I'm not sure if it'd be even needed.

* Venus Magnum damage decreased to 20, usetime decreased to 5. Has a short span of 10-15 frames. This span is indicated by venus magnum glowing red, If shot in this span, it will shoot a shot that deals 7x damage as before

For being a Plantera Drop, the kind of weapon that is supposed to be replaced shortly after being obtained, this mess of coding and balancing complexity is going way too far.

* Phantasm Now only spawns 1 ghost arrow on hit instead of 3. Ghost arrow damage increased to 50%

Makes it spawn effectively 1.5 arrows per hit instead of three, and makes it benefit less from defense penetration. I guess it's fine, my only concern is that 1 arrow per hit would look way less appealing than 3.

* Damage of all/most ammo removed or halved

This is a big base damage nerf to a lot of ranged weapons that would create far more unnecessary nerfs and compensation buffs than problems it would actually fix, hard pass.

* Hellfire Arrows Explosions now use localImmunity.

Sure, though I still wouldn't use them over Holy.

* Frostburn arrow damage decreased from 9 to 7.
I'd rather buff Flaming arrows instead, these aren't really overpowered.

Magic Weapons
Thunder Zapper [2 changes]
  1. Damage increased from 12 to 16
  2. Damage increased from 12 to 24.
Yeah :red: it just double its damage. It's ridiculous that such a tricky weapon to obtain has such pitiful base stats.

Shadowflame Hex Doll [2 changes]
  1. Iframes per hit reduced from 10 to 8.
  2. Increased range, and Tentacles smart bounce to nearby enemies on hit.

Visually one of the coolest weapons in the game, but its DPS doesn't live up to it.

I'm not sure if you can make this thing Smart bounce without messing it up visually, nor if such property would even help it given its attack style, so I'd lean towards the DPS buff instead.

Blood Thorn [2 changes]
    • Damage increased from 34 to 65
    • Piercing penalty removed, deals full damage in each hit [Does it actually have one?]
  1. All enemies within a large area will have spikes generated under them, instead of it being under the cursor.
At first you'd be impressed by this weapon's looks, but after using it that sensation will turn into disappointment over its DPS and confusion over how its attack style even works exactly.

The first is the Stake Launcher Treatment consisting of ":red: it, just double DPS", and the second makes it easier to understand and use. Maybe a bit too easy to use, but this weapon needs something big to be worth it.

Spirit Flame [2 changes]
    • Forbidden Fragments needed reduced from 2 to 1
    • Desert Lamp can now also drop from Ghouls and Lamia
  1. Increased velocity of projectiles.
Closer to QoL changes than actual balance changes. Im only opposed to giving Desert Lamps to the Lamias, since that would turn the Desert Spirit from an annoying but necessary enemy to an annoying and pointless enemy.

Nebula Blaze [2 changes]
    • Blaze Ex pierces twice, looping back into the enemy but losing 33% damage per pierce
    • Uses localImmunity
    • Blaze EX damage increased from triple to quadruple.
    • knockback up from 0 to 1.
For the ultimate single target magic weapon, its DPS isn't as impressive as one would think. Both these changes buff the DPS of the Blaze EX, and while that may lead to the weapon having inconsistent DPS it would certainly keep it unique.

Giving it knockback allows it to get Mythical, and is thus an indirect DPS buff.

Now, for one-person changes:

* Crystal Storm damage increased 32->34
* Crystal serpent shoot speed increased 13->18
* Sky fracture: Crit chance 24%->34%
* Bee Gun: damage 9->14
* laser rifle: damage 29->43
* Rainbow rod: damage reduced 50->44
* golden shower: damage 21->29
* space gun damage up from 17 to 20
* Meteor staff: Much larger explosion radius mana cost 13->7
* magic harp: damage 42->44, knockback 0.25 ->3
* wand of sparking: knockback 0->1
* Life drain: damage reduced 35->27
* Betsy's wrath damage reduced from 100 to 80

Bunch of stat changes. Out of all of these I can remark that Bee Gun buff is probably going too far, and that I still can't really see Sky Fracture or Crystal Serpent as weapons that need a buff. If anything they've been powercrept, and the solution to that is never more powercreep.

* Leaf Blower's projectiles now stick to enemies, increasing their damage taken by 1 for each leaf stuck up to 20.

My feelings on this are the same as that one Venus Magnum change above. Farming Plantera is hard and annoying, and her drops are supposed to be quickly replaced, so making her drop advanced weapons is not a good idea.

* Grey Zapinator Requires Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulhu to be defeated in order for it to be sold.

I really don't want Travelling Merchant weapons to be even harder to obtain, but I guess this change has good intentions since this weapon cheeses both those bosses.

* Rainbow Gun now uses static immunity.

Never had an issue with this but it's asinine to think a support weapon shouldn't have static Immunity to begin with.

* Razorblade Typhoon
  • Mana cost increased to 100
  • Projectile count limited to one (their cant be more than one razorblade projectile)
  • Now has local immunity; iframes increased to 12
  • Damage decreased to 70
The absolute most braindead spammable weapon in the game, it seriously deserves a nerf yet it got buffed in 1.4.1. This change aims to rework it into a support weapon the likes of Magnet Sphere, which I believe is the only way you can fix this weapon without straight-up overhauling it completely.

* Tome of Infinite Wisdom
  • Left Click attack casts five pages in a line instead of 4
  • Pages now home slightly
This weapon is outclassed by pre Mech options so sure, it wouldn't hurt anything to buff the main attack. It would probably still be overshadowed by the absurd DPS the right click attack can get, but that's another problem altogether.

Summoner Weapons
Slime Staff [3 Changes]
  1. Now a 1/3 drop from King Slime.
  2. Damage increased from 8 to 14.
    • Now completely sticks to enemies
    • Damage decreased to 5
    • Drops from King Slime
Right now this is more of an easter egg than an actual weapon. Making it drop from King Slime, as well as a stat or behavior buff to make it better than Flinxy Boy would give this weapon a place in progression.

Blade Staff [2 changes]
    • Now drops from hallowed mimics
    • Well-fed buffs no longer increase minion knockback.
    • Fix armor penetration bug.
    • Blade Staff Damage increased from 6 to 8.
    • Fix armor penetration bug.
Both of these suggestions agree on one thing: Defense penetration needs to be fixed. Forget the compensation buffs, this Minion needs the nerf.

First suggestion proposes another indirect nerf but also moves it earlier into the game b making it require a Hallowed Mimic kill instead of Queen Slime. On one hand, it gives summoners an early bossing minion, on the other it may make Sanguine Staff not worth it altogether. Bit of a tricky situation here.

Sanguine Staff [2 changes]
  1. Now gives 50-60 iframes.
  2. Inflicts iFrames equal to the time it takes for the bat to finish its cycle.
These changes both aim to stabilize its hit rate at once every 66 frames, removing the potential of it hitting a big enough target twice. This effectively cuts its DPS in half against bosses, which is probably too harsh but this weapon can definitely use a nerf right now.

Pirate Staff [2 changes]

1. Now has Local immunity
  2. Doubled drop rate from all sources
Sadly neither one of these changes fix anything. Even doubled drop rate is still absurdly rare to be viable, and this isn't a minion that suffers that much from localImmunity. These changes are a start for sure, but this weapon needs more.

Leather Whip [2 changes]
  1. Price reduced from 15 gold to 5 gold.
  2. Price reduced from 15 gold to 75 silver.
Looks like 15 gold is too expensive early on (am I the only one who always dies with 30 gold on them at the start of the game?). 5 gold is a more fair price, but 75 silver is effectively making it free.

Hornet Staff [2 changes]
  1. Stinger velocity doubled, now has the predictive aim
  2. Damage 12->16
This minion whiffs so :red:ing often that I'm pretty sure the first change is enough to make it viable. If not, nothing a good old DPS increase can't fix.

Vampire Frog Staff (2 changes)
  1. Locked behind the world's evil boss [Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulhu] or Skeletron.
    1. Attack rate is in sync with its attack animation
    2. Gains Local immunity
Arbitrarily locking it behind bosses isn't a very good idea, especially since it requires a bunch of work to be obtained as it. Synchronizing the attack rate to the animation would make it look nicer but it may be more trouble than it's worth to get it right, especially since it's a rather big DPS nerf as well.

Out of all of these, I can only get behind giving them local immunity but just because every minion should have it already.

Cool Whip [2 Changes]
    • Snowflake damage increased from 10 to 18.
    • Snowflake speed and detection range increased, and teleports to whipped enemies that aren’t in its detection range.
    • Cool Whip: Tag now causes minions to trigger an icy explosion dealing 6 damage to nearby enemies
    • Damage falloff 30%->10%
As it is right now, the Cool Whip is the worst whip in the game due to practically having no synergy with minions. These two changes go in opposite directions: One tries to make the snowflake a lot better to let it be the closest thing to a "+1 minion slot" tag we can get, and the other scraps it entirely in favor of a new general effect; a polar opposite of Firecracker's in this case.

Both sound good, if a bit overtuned.

Deadly Sphere staff [2 changes]
  1. Now uses local-immunity
    • Right clicking with the staff causes the spheres to go towards the cursor and attack at the cursor’s location in a pattern similar to the blade staff but with a much wider area covered every “swing”
    • Damage decreased to 35.
Local Immunity is the safe route that will significantly improve this weapon. The second change is going too far for my liking, but I like the idea of reworking this weapon into a Blade Staff Successor.

Morning Star (2 changes)
    • Tag damage increased from 5 to 10
    • Tag lasts 6 seconds instead of 4 to account for the slower whip speed.
  1. Tag buffed from 5/5% damage and crit to 8/8%
I think this weapon is one of the most severe cases of Post Plantera syndrome, where the weapon is good relative to its tier, but it will forever look bad when compared to later weapons that come very shortly after it. I guess that buffing its tag is easier than reworking the entirety of Post Plantera to Post Golem progression, but as it stands the weapon really doesn't need a buff unless you specifically compare it to Dark Harvest and Kaleidoscope.

* Finch Staff is now craftable. [recipe unspecified]

Honestly, I don't think people will ever be satisfied with this weapon until the day it becomes one of a character's starting items, but sure make it a bit easier to get before it gets inevitably replaced by Flinxy Boy anyways.

* Spider staff: Attacks 25% slower but has local immunity.

Fixes all iframe issues and compensates for the DPS increase. Fair change.

* Tempest staff
  • Now always stays near the player, no longer chases enemies.
  • Sharkrons are shot with predictive aim.
  • Sharknado contact damage now uses local iframes.

Certainly a dramatic AI change. These would fix its issues with its slow movement speed and horrible accuracy, and would also give it a new niche at close range for when you are feeling especially aggressive. I think this is an example of how a weapon can be fixed without a single stat change.

* Lunar Portal Staff damage increased from 50 to 85, knockback increased.

These changes aren't removing it from the game and replacing it with a Minion Staff, but sure, let's buff this pathetic sentry.

* Pygmy Staff Pygmies now use predictive aim

I mean, sure, but its DPS and anti-air would still be nearly nonexistent so this doesn't really fix any problems.

* Firecracker tag 2.75x -> 3x

This is supposed to come with an Obsidian armor nerf. I never thought the nerf to this weapon was necessary, but I also don't think we should buff general Summoner options until the most problematic Summoner weapons are fixed first.

Maybe if Summoner seems underperforming after Sanguine and Obsidian Armor get nerfed this will be a good change, but right now it's not necessary.

* Imp staff now fires once every 2 seconds, damage increased to 30.

Someone wants to make it different from Hornets I see. Not really a necessary change but I respect the intention.

* Xeno Staff can utilize its teleportation to stay above any enemy in range.
* Raven and Tempest Staff minions now return to the player twice as fast.

Improves AI and thus consistency, good changes.

* Flinx minion is knocked back further on hits.

Indirect attack speed nerf that brings Flinxy Boy more in line with other preBosss weapons.

Accessories
Mana Cuffs [2 changes]
  1. Now increases magic damage [for a short time] after being hit.
  2. Now increases magic damage by 35% [for a short time] after being hit. Mana return doubled.
After reading Qwerty's mana guide I'm convinced this is one of the absolute worst accessories in the game. Nothing a damage buff can't fix, I suppose.

Arcane Flower [2 changes]
* Now inherits Putrid Scent's 5% Damage and Critical strike chance bonuses. [2 people]

Come on, it's ridiculous that this has to be suggested, there is no reason for this not to be what the item does already.

Ankh Charm (2 changes)
  1. Now found in desert chests.
  2. Now gives immunity to all debuffs except Potion/Mana Sickness and Moon Bite
The first change removes all the boring grinding required to get this item and gives some more use to the Underground Desert, only issue being that all the components will then have to be removed from the game, or be left as redundant items.

The second gives it a lot more uses by actually allowing it to counter more than 1-2 relevant debuffs, though you should note that you are going to need a LOT more exceptions than that.

* Rifle Scope now Autofixes aim slightly. Can now be dropped by The Twins.

Listen, I respect the attempt to make this accessory stand out on its own and not just be a glorified material for the Sniper Scope, but the latter item definitely doesn't need a buff.

This is also dealing with an effect that would be very hard to balance; either it corrects aim too little and is thus more annoying than helpful, or it ensures you never miss a shot again and it's suddenly busted. There is no middle ground here.

* Panic necklace: all forms of movement are 35% faster when in panic.

A massive buff to this item's effect. I may still prefer Amphibian Boots for their consistency, but this will definitely help this item a lot.

* Flesh Knuckles and Berserker Glove defense increased from 8 to 10.

With this change it would give the same Stats-per-Slot as its counterpart, the Putrid Scent, but outside of pleasing some people's OCD it's not a necessary buff, Berserker's Glove is in a good spot already. We also really don't want to buff Defense items given how this stat stacks exponentially and at one point you can have so much defense that nothing will feasibly kill you.

* Obsidian Rose now drops from Lava Slimes instead of Fire Imps.

Makes the item easier to get by making it drop from a more common spawn. Though to be honest this item should've never been added to Lava Waders, it's better off just being a glorified vanity item.

* Fledgling Wing no longer gets a flight time boost from rocket boots and no longer negates fall damage.

These two changes basically murder the item, which is completely unnecessary since this item gets directly outclassed by Feather Fall potions already.

* Counterweights move much faster and use Static Immunity (in other words, no longer conflict with other weapons' iframes).

It's true that Counterweights are so useless that they are basically a vanity effect. It's also true that right now Yoyos are generally very good weapons, so an indirect buff to all of them may not be the best idea. It's a very delicate spot, to be honest.

* Frozen turtle shell: drop rate 1%->10%

Much like the Ice Sickle, this item is much rarer than it has any reason to be. Also like the Ice Sickle, making it ten times more common is also going way too far. Try 2.5% first.

* Celestial Magnet replaces Starfury in sky chests.

Any changes that get important items out of Travelling Merchant hell are welcome in my eyes. I don't think moving Starfury somewhere else is truly necessary.

* Lightning Boots now increases player acceleration.
* Ice Skates now act like Dunerider Boots but with ice/snow instead of sand.
* Frostspark Boots is crafted from Spectre Boots instead of Lightning Boots. Inherits the effect of the new ice skates and loses the benefits of Lightning Boots.
* Terraspark Boots now combines amphibian Lightning and Frostspark boots and locked to hard mode. [Apparently this part isn't meant to be taken seriously]

Let's face it, the entire crafting tree of Terraspark Boots is a giant mess of useless items that is only good because two of those are the Hermes and Rocket Boots. What this is aiming to do is making each accessory more valuable, and then dividing the crafting tree to avoid powercreep... except that buffing Lightning Boots in the first place is unnecessary and causes powercreep anyways. This is a rather tricky situation, to be honest, and may need more changes than just this and probably isn't worth it at the end of the day.

* Philosopher's Stone and Charm of Myths now inflicts 15 seconds of Potion Sickness when equipped.

Prevents you from cheating by equipping it from the vanity slot to heal. Hard to say if something that requires micromanagement needs to be nerfed, though.

* Sandstorm in a Bottle is now found in Desert Chests.

I'm pretty sure there is no human left in this world who doesn't want this item to be more common. I like this idea the most since it'd add better loot to the underground Desert and makes a nice parallel with Cloud and Blizzard in a Bottle.

* BoB now requires Souls of Flight and less balloons.

This combined with the above change makes it much more accessible in all worlds. Full support.

* Frog Leg Jump Speed bonus halved

Yeah... let's not.

Armors
Hallowed Armor (3 changes)
  1. Holy protection now only reduces damage by 50% and negates knockback from that attack.
  2. 30 second cooldown now activates after the buff ends or is used up instead of right as the buff activates.
  3. Requires less bars to craft.
Shadow Dodge has been overpowered ever since its conception. Then it was given to an armor with better stats with 0 changes done to it. Great balancing there.

Honestly, I don't think that even the first two changes combined will balance out the set, but it will definitely put it in a much better place than what we have now.

The third really doesn't do anything.

Tiki armor (2 change)
  1. Tiki mask now increases whip range by 30%.
  2. Set bonus changed from +1 minion to +65% whip range.
This armor is yet another example of Post Plantera Syndrome when you look at Spooky. I straight up don't like trying to make it comparable to Spooky, which is what the second change is trying to do. I like the first change better, since it enables some interesting hybrid armors with extra whip range.

Obsidian Armor (2 changes)
    • Reduce whip range to 30%.
    • Remove whip speed increase.
    • 15% summon damage removed from the set bonus.
    • Whip speed bonus reduced from 35% to 25%.
Yeah, it's impressive that his armor made it through playtesting in the first place. There is no reason for a preHardmode armor to last all the way up to and including the endgame. I prefer the first change, since it makes the choice between this and Bee armor one between range and an extra Minion Slot. I don't think the second nerf is enough.

* Orichalcum armor petals smart bounce off their first hit.

Makes it better at crowd control, which seems to be this armor's specialty.

* Cobalt armor movement speed increased to 60-80%.

Funni movement speed build. But movement speed isn't a good stat, and this armor doesn't have good stats, so this won't make it a good armor. I'd rather try something else first, like a built-in dash or some jump speed.

* Shadow Armor Reworked: Each piece grants 2% crit and the set bonus grants a chance to dodge attacks.

This armor is in a very poor state right now, being locked to melee for no reason and being completely outclassed by Molten Armor.

This change makes it resemble Crimson Armor, granting crit instead of damage and dodge chance instead of regeneration. Would definitely make it a lot better than the current version.

* Beetle (shell): Bettle endurance reduced from 15%-30%-45% to 12%-24%-36%

I'd rather rework defense before touching up any defensive armors, to be honest. Not that this is a bad change, but rather that it'd just be a bandaid fix to the problems with defense as a start in this game.

* Spectre Hood Lifesteal capped at 5hp/s and buildup greatly reduced. No longer causes 40% magic damage reduction, Hood now has 100 mana and 20% reduced mana usage.

Yes please, Lifesteal is absurdly polarizing and overpowered in this game, more reasonable numbers are always good. One small issue is that for the supposed "defensive" variant to Spectre Mask, it would strangely have less defense than it.

* Spectre Mask mana bonuses removed, stats changed to +14% damage and crit.

I get what this is trying to do with the above change, but if you know how impactful mana is in this game this is a straight-up buff to an already good armor, so it's not really necessary.

Stardust Armour:
* Defense increased to 44.
* Increases whip range and speed? by 33%.
* Increases max sentry slots by 3.

Yeah just break the armor in half. Summoner has the worst endgame items by far so may as well make the armor broken.

* Fossil Armor defense increased to be the same as gold.

Doesn't change a lot but sure, go ahead. I guess it could use a buff.

Misc.
* Celestial Sigil is now infinitely reusable and summons Moon Lord instantly.

More of QoL changes and greatly appreciated. For how unfun ML is he should at least be easy to summon.

* Nano Flask and Bullet inflict "nanites" instead of Confused; each enemy inflicted with this debuff heals the player for 0.5hp/s. Caps at 3hp/s

A good way to buff Nano Bullets and the Nanite Flask at the same time, and would add the first debuff in the game with a purely defensive effect.

* Cursed inferno now does 75 DoT.

Even after a big buff it's still outclassed by Ichor, so this buff would put both debuffs at the same strength. I'd rather try 60 DoT first, just because of the crowd control potential DoT has.

* Witch's Broom now drops from Pumpking instead of Mourning Wood

It would still feel out of place as an Expert Drop and it would still be easy to get, so this is more of an OCD change than anything.

Last edited:
* Razorblade Typhoon
  • Mana cost increased to 100
  • Projectile count limited to one (their cant be more than one razorblade projectile)
  • Now has local immunity; iframes increased to 12
  • Damage decreased to 70
The absolute most braindead spammable weapon in the game, it seriously deserves a nerf yet it got buffed in 1.4.1. This change aims to rework it into a support weapon the likes of Magnet Sphere, which I believe is the only way you can fix this weapon without straight-up overhauling it completely.
Turning RBT into a support weapon is a good idea and a good way to declone it from Nightglow… but it definitely needs a lifespan buff along with this. 100 mana and 40 frames off of your main weapon every 2 seconds (that’s like 33% less time on your main weapon) for 350 dps (or less, because RBT would need time to reach the enemy) would not be worth it.

* Philosopher's Stone and Charm of Myths now inflicts 15 seconds of Potion Sickness when equipped.

Prevents you from cheating by equipping it from the vanity slot to heal. Hard to say if something that requires micromanagement needs to be nerfed, though.
On the other hand… autopause. It turns it from a healing bonus that requires micromanagement and switching off of offense to a 2 second time investment for a free healing bonus.

Summoner Weapons
undefined
It’s interesting how almost everyone seems to agree that minions need an AI rework… and also how almost all of those minions are 1.3 or earlier. Even though summoner has enough good options to remain viable the entire game, it also seems to have a lot of old, outclassed trash that puts even Melee to shame.

* Star Wrath's star no longer pierce [actually a buff due to the lack of localImmunity.)
* Meowmere can no longer be reflected by Selenians, Swing speed increased from 16 to 8 (fire rate unaffected).
* Now gives 4f of iframes, capping its hit rate at 15x/s.

Balancing Post Moon Lord content is honestly just a waste of time, so as long as everything is balancedly overpowered I'm fine.
I love how post-Moon Lord has by far the worst balance of any point in the game, and nobody gives a crap because there’s nothing to use the items on.

It’s also interesting to see that there are things that many people agree on, like Influx Waver velocity or vampire knives nerf. If only we had more time for balance we did, devs are just stubborn, things like this would probably have been able to be brought up.

I must say I'm mildly surprised at shadowflame knives getting buffed at all, it seems that the 1.3 meta is getting to being left behind after all.

• Projectile velocity increased by 40%;
    • Improves accuracy and lets returning slices hit more often.
  1. Projectile velocity increased
  2. Velocity increased 11->20
Another thing to consider would be giving the extra projectiles full on homing to ensure hitting enemy and having stabler dps

* Cascade has "greatly reduced bounciness when hitting enemies"

Ok, I know what this means. The person who wrote this most likely knows what it means too. The question is: do you? Can someone concisely explain to me how much stronger the weapon will be after this change? Do we really want obscure mechanics like these, the effects of which are very hard to understand and calculate, to be something we balance some weapons around? I'd rather not.
One could simply try removing the bouncing for the specific yoyo at all which would limit the dps to iframes duration and make life much simpler. This would also make it feel a lot less yoyo like, however.

Starlight is perfectly fine as is. Very much viable for pillars and events in general, even usable on Moon-Lord's left eye (though you should just use daybreak tbh)

* Aerial Bame’s arrows drop off less sharply.
The punnery is not lost on me! However, I don't really see a reason to buff this weapon's "accuracy". It is more than a fine weapon as is.

* Grey Zapinator Requires Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulhu to be defeated in order for it to be sold.
We're talking about the Grey Zapinator here, a weapon that's supposed to be broken as evidenced by even its tooltip. Trying to balance it would be against what it was made for in the first place.

• Snowflake damage increased from 10 to 18.
  • Snowflake speed and detection range increased, and teleports to whipped enemies that aren’t in its detection range.
This still doesn't fix the issue of cool whip not supporting summons at all. You might as well just use an onyx blaster and probably get better results.

Beetle (shell): Bettle endurance reduced from 15%-30%-45% to 12%-24%-36%
For a set that gives barely any dps, I think 15-30-45 is fine as is.

* Cursed inferno now does 75 DoT.

Even after a big buff it's still outclassed by Ichor, so this buff would put both debuffs at the same strength. I'd rather try 60 DoT first, just because of the crowd control potential DoT has.
While I do mostly agree with this, what DoT really needs is an actual system that you can spec into and around so that it can actually carry some weight at all instead of just being a blank x more dps which can either be absolutely overpowered with tank builds and for cc or just useless.

Shadowflame Knife
  1. Damage increased 38 to 42
  2. Damage increased from 38 to 48
While never top tier this has never really been a bad weapon. It sits in a really good spot where it's easy to obtain and use, consistent, and not too overwhelming anywhere; I get the feeling that buffing weapons like these for not having top-tier DPS will be calling for powercreep, and I'd rather avoid that altogether.
I believe that this does need a buff as in my experience it's actually worse than the Ice Bow.
* Valor, Muramasa, and Blue Moon inflict a debuff that reduces enemy contact damage.

These three weapons have one thing in common: A weapon very easily obtainable in the Underworld that directly outclasses them. This new gimmick gives them something over their Hell counterparts and increases their longevity a bit.
Magic Missile should get this change as well.

Ok I really don't like this weapon very much but as shown by Obsidian Armor increasing range by as much as 50% is a really bold move. Smaller numbers first, please.
Basically every whip has a larger range than Starlight by default, and Kaleidoscope which comes from the same source has way bigger range. Increasing range is the only way to make it viable other than giving it a projectile.
While I do mostly agree with this, what DoT really needs is an actual system that you can spec into and around so that it can actually carry some weight at all instead of just being a blank x more dps which can either be absolutely overpowered with tank builds and for cc or just useless.
How about the amount of DPS from DoT is based off of the base damage of the weapon that inflicted it, so it would be an opposite to Ichor which synergizes with slower weapons as opposed to faster weapons.

Basically every whip has a larger range than Starlight by default, and Kaleidoscope which comes from the same source has way bigger range. Increasing range is the only way to make it viable other than giving it a projectile.
This weapon has insane capabilities and the range is juuust enough to carry out its job. I don't think it needs a buff of any sort seeing how much destruction this weapon can cause in crowd control situations (pillars, moons)

I think Starlight in its current state is alright. Terra Blade true melee with whips actually is significantly more destructive and damaging, but Starlight is way more reliable and easier to utilize thanks to its higher range and being able to adjust its hitbox as you please. Melee speed giving it slightly or moderately more range would be a perfect way to buff it without making it feel too powerful

Shield of Cthulhu gains a WoF-Destroyer tier upgrade: when holding any melee weapon without an alt-fire, you can right-click to parry a cone of projectiles back at the enemy. Shares a cooldown with dash.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aside from that, balance is perfectly fine. Melee has Jousting Tube, Ranged has Chlorophyte Bullet, Daedalus, Sniper Rifle Critswapping, Mage has Arcanum and Rainbow Rod, and Summoner has Whipstacking. Then you have multiclass absurdities like Terra Blade Whipstacking and anything to do with Explosive Bunnies. All is as it should be.

Don't forget about how you can literally no-hit every single post-Mech progression boss with little to no effort (just a bit of wiring and minecarts. In Plantera's case you need actuated hive blocks and a ton of dynamite). Also, if DPS is no object, 3 out of 3 Mech bosses can be completely and utterly destroyed with no effort on the part of the player (again, using minecarts)

Complaining about so-called "high-skill strats dominating the scene" completely ignores the fact that a well-designed minecart track or box can trivialize every progression boss in Hardmode. If some guy want to abuse whipstacking to kill Expert Golem in 5 seconds, why the hell not? I can literally kill Master FTW Golem with only 3 button-presses when the fight starts, and Moon Lord with a single button-press, using nothing but completely intended game mechanics with no gray-area. I think EoL, Queenie, and WoF are the only 3 bosses which you can't completely trivialize with a minecart. WoF is better on foot anyway, and King Slime can be trivialized on foot.

Terraria is a game for many people. Some of those people want to do bosses without getting hit once without Queen Slime, Wings, or a Dash. Others rush Daedalus Stormbow because it's a broken item. Still others are obsessed over breaking the DPS limit you can get by pressing hotkeys really fast. Yet still do some people literally design a 1.4-compatible Moon Lord track because he took the concept of a "lazy summoner" way too far, then there are people who build literal 1-tick spawnkill machines. Hence the concept of "muh balance" makes 0 sense whatsoever because this is not Dota where you need things to not be OP. Half the intended mechanics in Terraria allows for complete trivialization.

Last edited:
Buffing the early-PHM ore-swords is really not needed. Yes, they're weak, and they should be! They're meant to be superseded quickly by the advanced ores and other weapons.

What are the odds we get a another round of balance changes due to the Don't Starve Crossover and how will new gear fit into this?

Personally hoping for post-ML content to test ML drops or Zenith on.

Back
Top Bottom