Console Terraria Console 1.3 Update: Playstation 4 Submitted, Xbox One Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question.
Where do you look at achievements?
[doublepost=1512935640,1512935624][/doublepost]oh hi!
[doublepost=1512935742][/doublepost]:brain:
[doublepost=1512935811][/doublepost]Also, is the cursor range expanded in 1.3?
[doublepost=1512935977][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1512936012][/doublepost]cause here it looks like that.o_O

If you guys could post when both platforms are accepted I would appreciate it greatly.
Most likely they will. They've been fantastic lately keeping us informed. But also, I'd recommend following Pipeworks on one of their social media accounts. I, for example, keep informed mainly through their Facebook page which they keep up to date. :)

OK, I have to call B.S. on this. I love the devs, don't get me wrong, but you mean to tell me that GTA 5 and Phantom Pain can run on the old gen consoles but for some reason Terraria has now become too much? I don't think so. It's simply a financial decision.
I actually raised the exact same point last year, and they pointed out that those games load just what's around the corner. If you cast your mind back to GTA 3 on the PS2, you'll remember that if you went to fast the background would fade out for a second because it couldn't load the next background in time.

thank you
[doublepost=1512936653,1512936587][/doublepost]LeftyRedd
[doublepost=1512936802][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1512936833][/doublepost]watch if u think they should just SPAM MEOWMERE ALREADY.

So, bit of a stupid question.

Will the new update change overall performance?

I'm sure the current build on console runs at around 60fps. Will 1.3 due to technicalities lock the game to 30fps?

I'd honestly boot up the game and check for myself but currently preoccupied / PS4 isn't available.

You see... That's what they've been working on for so long.:sigh:

Most bugs were causing lag.
[doublepost=1512938709,1512938512][/doublepost]By the way, every time I exit or my siblings do, it exits and saves...
BUT!!! Right when it finishes saving it has an error and corrupts my game more.
So I have to save it and close the game every time.
If you have a solution, PLEASE HELP ME!!
[doublepost=1512938731][/doublepost];(;(;(
[doublepost=1512938820][/doublepost]If the update fixes that... YAAAAAAY!!!

please don't ban me 4 spam...:p:p:p

OK, I have to call B.S. on this. I love the devs, don't get me wrong, but you mean to tell me that GTA 5 and Phantom Pain can run on the old gen consoles but for some reason Terraria has now become too much? I don't think so. It's simply a financial decision.
[doublepost=1512931919,1512931662][/doublepost]
I replied to the wrong post...so see above.
There are two things to note here.

First off, the XBox One version and the XBox 360 version of GTA V and The Phantom Pain are not the same one: the XBox 360 version is a watered down version of the XBox One version, and the PS3 version is a watered down version of the PS4 version. For instance, the GTA V first person mode was not made available for the XBox 360 and PS3 because those systems simply couldn't run it. Besides that, the old-gen versions are optimised in many other ways to allow those games to run in the first place. As this GameZone article states, and I quote:
"We have continued to optimize the entire game over time in order to squeeze as much memory as we possibly could out of the last-generation hardware and at some point, continuing to add content for those systems could cause the risk of instability to the game overall," Rockstar concluded. "As of now, we are planning on releasing the next big content update for all five systems and we will continue to squeeze as much as we possibly can onto them."
So if you want(ed) contemporary games to run on older systems, you have to make concessions with regards to quality. For Re-Logic, those concessions weren't acceptable. Whether or not you agree with that (and since we don't know what those concessions were, we can hardly form an informed opinion) is a whole other matter all together.

Secondly, if there is one thing that consoles excel at, then it's graphical rendering. And they have to be: they need to display pretty things on a large screen at a high refresh rate. They are also very good at processing game logic. However, what they do 'averagely' is storing things in memory. For many games, that is not a problem: games (should) only load what they actually need at a given moment, placing the main burden on the processor.

Terraria is exactly the opposite. It asks very little of the GPU (compared to 3D games), not a whole lot of the CPU, but does put a significant strain on memory. Which is exactly what the old-gen consoles (which, I'll reiterate, are over twelve years old by now) are 'average' at. So getting Terraria, a contemporary game, to run on a twelve year old console with 'average' performance in the memory department, is a lot to ask. They managed it on the XBox 360 for 1.2, running (what I have to blindly estimate) at best half the amount of memory it is supposed to use. But getting 1.3 to run on the XBox 360 would be using one fifth of the minimum amount of memory the PC version recommends. So Terraria can not be likened to games like GTA: V or The Phantom Pain. While it may seem intuitive that "if it can run a 3D open environment, then it can run a sprite based game", there is no actual sound reasoning behind it.

As for it being a financial decision, well, possibly. But it's not the most likely explanation. Nor would it be in line with Re-Logic's past decisions. So I'd argue against it.

Last edited:
I once had an Xbox 360, but Terraria corrupted the whole console.
Profiles were deleted, also games.
So, yeah, I'm glad I have a PS4.

I'm a cat tank!:naughty:

Also, is the cursor range expanded in 1.3?
[doublepost=1512935977][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1512936012][/doublepost]cause here it looks like that.o_O

Well cursor range changes depending on the range of the item you're holding (that goes for smart and manual cursor modes), for example a rod of discord allows you to teleport anywhere on the screen so it's cursor range is the whole screen. While a copper pickaxe's range is small so the cursor can only travel a small distance.

Well cursor range changes depending on the range of the item you're holding (that goes for smart and manual cursor modes), for example a rod of discord allows you to teleport anywhere on the screen so it's cursor range is the whole screen. While a copper pickaxe's range is small so the cursor can only travel a small distance.
Oooohhhhh thanks!

Thats what i thought...

now that we have this ps4 update and the xboxone ccomming soon (even if i dont use this consoles) XD

but how about the android version of terraria?
im getting stressed out for the fact that im hoping 1.3 will come for the phone or 3ds or watever handheld XD

but still its a nice progress youve made XD so keep going!:D
Yes, mobile phone platforms are next on the list to be updated to 1.3 after the PS4/XB1 patch rolls out. 3DS however is not getting updated.

So will you be releasing it for Ps4 when it passes or are you gonna wait for Xbox 1?
Fairly confident they are not waiting for the XB1 to roll out the PS4 patch.

Regarding the upcoming update, I just recently got a ps4 as my current generation. Are there specific days that they roll out updates like Xbox does for Thursday?
Has there been any feedback regarding the submission for certification? Thank you in advance for the answers.

Since Terraria is such a big game with such big updates, I don't think it will throw out updates every Thursday...

I wish!;(
Thank you for the reply. What I meant was that Xbox usually releases their updates on Thursdays for any title. Does ps4 have a specific day of the week that they usually release updates for titles?

Will there be a post to let us know when the updates pass certification?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom