Console Terraria Console Bugs & Issues Status

I need to update you all, that the temporary Vita fix of turning off the in game music, does not 100% fix this after hardmode has been activated, especially around the time when you break a demon alter, and new ores are being added. There are still occasional crashes, so after hardmode, it is a good idea to save often.
Sorry to hear that Emankcin. Interesting that hardmode and altars affect it like that.

Sorry to hear that Emankcin. Interesting that hardmode and altars affect it like that.

Yeah, but I think I know why, too. There are many that believe that the crash issues are related to the Vita's RAM. While the Vita is a beautiful and wonderful portable gaming system, even capable of playing console quality titles, it does have it's limitations. One of those limitations is only 512 MB of RAM. Why is that important? I'll tell you. First, when you create a brand new world, it takes a lot longer to create a new world than to load an existing world, especially a large world. That makes sense, since it is creating a brand new world and placing all those blocks. But when you load your world, I believe that the entire world is loading all at once. All of you who have experienced a crash on Vita, answer this:
1.) Is your world large?
2.) Have you just explored (uncovered a significant portion of the map)
3.) Have you just acquired a decent item (in addition to the exploring)
4.) Have you just fought a boss, or a has a major event occurred? (Major event = Goblin Army, Meteor landing, possibly blood moon)
5.) Have you removed a large amount of blocks from the world (similar to the uncovering more map)?

Since the entire world loads at once, the Vita is keeping track of each and every block, enemy, and event. And when you are playing on a large map, that can be quite a lot. By the way, I have not yet experienced a crash on any of my small maps. So, if you uncover a lot of map, remove a lot of blocks, add a lot to your inventory, or a major event, it could overload the RAM. Turning off the music helps in that that's one less thing that is taxing the RAM, but here's what happens after you defeat the Wall of Flesh.
After you defeat the Wall, the entire world changes, even before you break any demon alters with the PWN Hammer. Another corrupt (or crimson) is added, and the Hallow is added, in addition to all the new Hardmode enemy types. There is a new effect that appears to be a bug, that happens after this. Sometimes, if you attempt to save, you will not be able to. You will click on save, but nothing will happen. And if you click exit game, and then click save and exit, you will see the save/load screen, but you will not see a progress bar. But here's what is happening. The data is still being changed. So when you go to click save, it is still undergoing a data process, and it will not let you save. Just wait. The first few times, I had thought that the game was crashing differently and kept resetting and refighting the WoF. But then I decided to try something different. After I clicked save, and nothing happened, I waited. It took over ten minutes, but finally, the save icon appeared in the bottom right. The next time, it only took five minutes. It only did this a few times after defeating the WoF, because the world was still adjusting, each time less and less. And the crashes started happening again. Once again, the RAM was being overloaded. I had even tried turning the wifi off and setting the Vita to airplane mode, but it still crashed. So far, here's what helps. Save often. Do not click exit and save, just click save. When you exit to quit playing, or to visit another world, click exit without saving (after you save, of course), because I've seen it crash more in exit and save than I have with just save. Anytime you are about to change the world (build something, lay out traps, mine a great portion), save before, save during, and save after (basically save a lot more often).

So psvita s terraria use more ram than other game?Because it s the only where i got crash, fortunally i don t get crash since i removed in-game music.This issue has started since "traveling merchant update",maybe it use more ram than before.

So psvita s terraria use more ram than other game?Because it s the only where i got crash, fortunally i don t get crash since i removed in-game music.This issue has started since "traveling merchant update",maybe it use more ram than before.

It's not that it uses any more RAM than the XBOX, or PC... it requires the same amount of RAM to run... However, the Vita only has 512 meg of RAM, and it is pushing those limits. It's basically like trying to run Halo on a Gameboy... Ok, that's an exaggeration, but you get the picture.

Yeah, but I think I know why, too. There are many that believe that the crash issues are related to the Vita's RAM. While the Vita is a beautiful and wonderful portable gaming system, even capable of playing console quality titles, it does have it's limitations. One of those limitations is only 512 MB of RAM. Why is that important? I'll tell you. First, when you create a brand new world, it takes a lot longer to create a new world than to load an existing world, especially a large world. That makes sense, since it is creating a brand new world and placing all those blocks. But when you load your world, I believe that the entire world is loading all at once. All of you who have experienced a crash on Vita, answer this:
1.) Is your world large?
4.) Have you just fought a boss, or a has a major event occurred? (Major event = Goblin Army, Meteor landing, possibly blood moon)
5.) Have you removed a large amount of blocks from the world (similar to the uncovering more map)?

Since the entire world loads at once, the Vita is keeping track of each and every block, enemy, and event. And when you are playing on a large map, that can be quite a lot. By the way, I have not yet experienced a crash on any of my small maps. So, if you uncover a lot of map, remove a lot of blocks, add a lot to your inventory, or a major event, it could overload the RAM. Turning off the music helps in that that's one less thing that is taxing the RAM, but here's what happens after you defeat the Wall of Flesh.
After you defeat the Wall, the entire world changes, even before you break any demon alters with the PWN Hammer. Another corrupt (or crimson) is added, and the Hallow is added, in addition to all the new Hardmode enemy types. There is a new effect that appears to be a bug, that happens after this. Sometimes, if you attempt to save, you will not be able to. You will click on save, but nothing will happen. And if you click exit game, and then click save and exit, you will see the save/load screen, but you will not see a progress bar. But here's what is happening. The data is still being changed. So when you go to click save, it is still undergoing a data process, and it will not let you save. Just wait. The first few times, I had thought that the game was crashing differently and kept resetting and refighting the WoF. But then I decided to try something different. After I clicked save, and nothing happened, I waited. It took over ten minutes, but finally, the save icon appeared in the bottom right. The next time, it only took five minutes. It only did this a few times after defeating the WoF, because the world was still adjusting, each time less and less. And the crashes started happening again. Once again, the RAM was being overloaded. I had even tried turning the wifi off and setting the Vita to airplane mode, but it still crashed. So far, here's what helps. Save often. Do not click exit and save, just click save. When you exit to quit playing, or to visit another world, click exit without saving (after you save, of course), because I've seen it crash more in exit and save than I have with just save. Anytime you are about to change the world (build something, lay out traps, mine a great portion), save before, save during, and save after (basically save a lot more often).
Damn, Someone`s certanly been busy figuring out the Vita crash bug! Bravo!

Damn, Someone`s certanly been busy figuring out the Vita crash bug! Bravo!
I discovered the turning off the music trick completely by accident when I was trying to find sky islands using the water bolt. But I have been talking with 505 and sharing the information that I've gathered. I suggested to them that if they could load the large worlds in stages or stream load it, it might save some of the RAM and stop the crashes. Hopefully they will come up with an actual fix soon though.

I discovered the turning off the music trick completely by accident when I was trying to find sky islands using the water bolt. But I have been talking with 505 and sharing the information that I've gathered. I suggested to them that if they could load the large worlds in stages or stream load it, it might save some of the RAM and stop the crashes. Hopefully they will come up with an actual fix soon though.
Good to see somebody else trying to help the other players get their games to work. Now, if somebody could figure out how to squash the bugs on Xbox 360, we could use the upload to Cloud option without getting an error message.

If my XBOX 360 was working, I might be playing there too... Unfortunately, I can't even play the brand new Deadpool game I just bought!

Ok so, here is the complete list of phone numbers and available hours from the official support page of 505 games in case anyone would rather call in to report bugs like I do, thanks to copy and paste:
Phone support is available in the following countries during the specified business days and hours:

USA & Canada

(+1) 888 757 9688

MON-FRI: 11AM - 8PM (EST)

United Kingdom

+44 (0) 20 302 720 93

MON-FRI: 10AM - 7PM (GMT)

France

+33 (0) 157 323 429

MON-FRI: 11AM - 8PM (CET)

Italy

+39 (0) 294 751 466

MON-FRI: 11AM – 8PM (CET)

Germany

+49 (0) 69 5007 0070

MON-FRI: 11AM – 8PM (CET)

Spain

+34 (0) 912 754 743

MON-FRI: 11AM – 8PM (CET).

Last edited:
Terraria is likely much more RAM intensive than other PSVita games.

then this being the case I'm sad that this could be a cap for us on the Terraria front. The Vita probably couldn't handle 1.3. unless Engine Software decided to eliminate the cross save portion of things and makes more limitations like smaller worlds and such.

anyone ever notice on PS4 the Minecarts are buggy? By that I mean the alignment to the track gets all weird when you're riding the rails.

Last edited:
This thread could be cleaned up and organized into two threads:
  1. Thread to report bugs, platform, how to reproduce, etc.
  2. Thread to post your inner feelings, hobbies, and whatever else piques your interest.

1.) Is your world large?

Nice thoughts, but likely not correct.

I have profiled ram usage - other vita games use as much or more ram.

The crash bug was not always present. It appeared the day after the 1.2.3 update. It has something to do with that update. Everyone has it, it's terrible that it hasn't been fixed. Vita is not a priority for them, simple as that.

Terrible.

I agree with the above statement. Vita is not a priority. If it was, we would have had a fix already. Saving your progress is the most fundamental part of a game. Especially a sandbox game where creativity and exploration is encouraged. This game is broken - simple as that. It's an absolute disgrace and and outrage that it has been left for so long already. Imagine using a word processor and it kept randomly crashing while saving. Would i still use it? No way. It would not even be released.

This bug should be even easier to fix because we all have the same hardware, the PS Vita. As for the excuse that they cannot recreate the bug, give them a Vita, spend an hour playing and voila, you've recreated the bug at least 3 times in that hour.

505games - i love what you did for Terraria. I have put 1000's of hours into Terraria on the Vita thanks to you. It's been a magnificent part of my life these last few years and i thank you for that. This is just torture. Please get your fingers out and fix it already! I for one am sick of excuses.

I've been doing some digging and from what I've seen it may be a firmware issue and not a game issue. What firmware do you fellow Vita users have? I can't remember mine.(just updated) but it didn't tell me theupdate was aavailable. Usually you can't even log in to psn until after you update but I could use it fine. May wanna check out your firmware model guys. Might be why the bug team can't replicate the glitch their firmware might be updated and fixed. Its worth a shot anyway not like anything else has worked.

I've been doing some digging and from what I've seen it may be a firmware issue and not a game issue. What firmware do you fellow Vita users have? I can't remember mine.(just updated) but it didn't tell me theupdate was aavailable. Usually you can't even log in to psn until after you update but I could use it fine. May wanna check out your firmware model guys. Might be why the bug team can't replicate the glitch their firmware might be updated and fixed. Its worth a shot anyway not like anything else has worked.
No, it's definitely a game issue, not a firmware one. When 1.2.3 first came out my second Vita was far behind in terms of updates and it still crashed on par with my main vita. Both are still many versions apart and still crash.

Nice thoughts, but likely not correct.

I have profiled ram usage - other vita games use as much or more ram.

The crash bug was not always present. It appeared the day after the 1.2.3 update. It has something to do with that update. Everyone has it, it's terrible that it hasn't been fixed. Vita is not a priority for them, simple as that.

Terrible.

I may have been misrepresenting, but I was thinking that too. But it still may be an issue related to RAM. If not RAM usage itself, the way that RAM is handled. But as I have stated before, my reasons for believing this is that the crashes have only occurred for me on Large worlds. The entire world loads at once. While other games may use the same amount of RAM or more, up to the max that Vita allows, they do not load the entire world at once, including all blocks, mobs, and events, where Terraria does. I would not mind playing 1.3 on the Vita limited to small or medium worlds. the 1.2.3 update did implement a lot of major changes to the game. Tell me, how did you profile the RAM usage? I would like to see the effects on my game. Another thing I am curious of is the 3DS. The 3DS has only 128 Meg of RAM... The 3DS version is currently 1.2, to my knowledge. If they update to 1.2.3, will they have similar problems? Or have they accounted for this by only allowing small worlds? I don't know, since I don't have a 3DS. But if that is the case, it would support your theory that it is not a RAM issue. I think it might be a little of both. There should be a workaround for the Vita in order to stop these random crashes, and get this game functioning.

Back
Top Bottom