tModLoader Terraria Construct - A 2D Tinkers' Construct

Further solidifying that Terraria truly is a 2D ripoff of Minecraft.

Note: This thread may eventually serve as the homepage for a Terraria version of the popular Minecraft mod, Tinkers' Construct. However, the current version of the mod is not exactly in a reasonable and/or playable state yet. When it becomes playable, I will likely request this thread be moved to the WIP section.

Hello! You're probably here because you either know what Tinkers' Construct is, you want to know, or because you're just bored. For the latter two, Tinkers' Construct is a popular Minecraft mod that focuses on creating tons of unique tools and weapons from all the materials Minecraft has to offer, ranging from Wood to Diamond, everywhere in between, and so much more. Combined with a system for upgrading these tools and weapons with other materials, there are literally millions of possible items you could get with this mod.

This mod will aim to accomplish the same thing in Terraria. Now, obviously, Terraria has quite a few more resources than Minecraft, or at least a lot more interesting materials that could be made into tools. Assigning a special trait to potentially hundreds of materials (and potentially altering that trait based on what's being made) is admittedly a task too great for me alone. So that's why I'm here! Included below is a Google Sheet that has a brief overview of the mod and table of all the potential materials that could be used for tools. Simply add any suggestions you may have in the table. If you have an idea for new materials or tools, add it! Happy suggesting!

Ideas Submission: TerrariaConstruct Ideas Submission
Google Sheet: Terraria Construct Ideas Sheet
Discord Server: Discord
The base pickaxe (rendered as an Iron Pickaxe for now) and a pickaxe with only the tool rod set.
Dynamic stats and textures depending on the current data. Making tool parts and tools using specific recipes... ... And then general ones.

Last edited:
Progress is being made!
Now, one base item can both have a dynamic texture depending on item data, or even become a whole new item entirely! This is planned to be expanded to encompass lots of different item types, like pickaxes, swords, staffs, flails, etc.!

As always, any ideas for material effects or similar are greatly appreciated. And make sure to check up on the Google Sheet linked in the first post! It's been expanded to include several other things, like a progress log where you can see what's I'm trying to do with the mod.

Last edited:
Just going to leave this here, I'd like to keep up with his.
Do you plan to add support for other mods ? Granted with the insane amount of materials in Vanilla game and mods, That's asking a damn lot.

Guess you could call me an Abomination
My plan so far is to focus on Vanilla Terraria's materials first and add in a Call system to allow other mods to add their own materials/items/etc. (Like how Boss Checklist does it). That way, nobody needs to bug me if they want their material in the mod and I don't have to add every material I come across.

Progress!
You can now make tools. This seems like it should've taken a lot less time to do.
Lots of stuff had to be done so that the recipes work right, mainly because this entire mod currently consists of only two items.

Next up, I'm planning on generalizing the recipes and maybe adding a few more tools/materials. I'll try to post that here when it happens.

Last edited:
Progress!
You can now make tools, but better. Recipes now adapt depending on which parts you have in your inventory, and the crafted item reflects which parts you use.

Next up is most likely adding more parts and tools. Prepare yourselves for more crappy recolors and cuts.

Last edited:
Progress!

So I may have lied, no more parts/tools today. But! Now, tools can have various effects applied to them, usually dependent on what materials you use while making them. Now, your Hellstone Repeater can light things on fire, your Forbidden Spell Tome can occasionally kick up winds, and your "Wooden Warhammer" can do... something. There isn't much that can improve on when smacking someone with a tree.

Also, cross-mod (technically) exists now! It is mostly untested and likely isn't fully complete, but it should* work!
* Likely won't, but hey, can you kill me for being optimistic?

Now that most of these main features are done, there isn't a ton left code-wise before the mod may release. That isn't to say it's ready, though. Currently, the following two big things remain before I can (maybe) upload the completed mod to the browser:
1. Sprites. I am a coder, not an artist, and it doesn't take a snobby French connoisseur to tell that my sprites aren't up to par.
2. Content. Currently, the mod lacks real content sans the things I made to test the mod with.
So why am I telling you this? Because I want to extort you for free labor, obviously.
In reality, I'm mostly asking for help. There's been a Google Sheet for this mod in the OP for a while now, and it's always open for suggestions. Right now, I need ideas for what each material might do, what materials to use in the first place, and what tools/weapons could be made.
If you've got ideas, there's now a Google Forms to easily submit them! TerrariaConstruct Ideas Submission
This link will also be in the OP.

In the meantime, I'll probably be trying to come up with some ideas of my own. Until then!

Last edited:
Apologies for dropping off the face of the Earth for a bit. Not a ton of progress has been made forward, but the mod's code has been reworked a little so it's easier to add new things.
Also, the mod now has a Discord server! Come join so it's easier to pester me to work on this mod.

I didn't know that this mod was a thing, but I'll likely check around the Discord server if I can manage to fit it in between the maximum server limit.

blazingDemo.gif

Progress!

A few new tools parts exist now (although most aren't shown in the gif), and a few effects work now. Now you can scorch some liquids to a crisp with your cool:tm: pickaxe.

Postly reminder to suggest new stuff using the links in the main post and to join the Discord.
(And yes, "postly" is a word because uhhh I said so.)

View attachment 276069
Progress!

A few new tools parts exist now (although most aren't shown in the gif), and a few effects work now. Now you can scorch some liquids to a crisp with your cool:tm: pickaxe.

Postly reminder to suggest new stuff using the links in the main post and to join the Discord.
(And yes, "postly" is a word because uhhh I said so.)
Liquid interactions. Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom