Short Story Terraria: "Cornered!" - Ported from TO

Crawfish

Skeletron
Foreword: I originally posted this story on Terraria Online, so it's not particularly new. But there are a couple small wording/grammatical revisions that would go unnoticed by most. I figured I'd post it here, both as a method of never forgetting it, and so that maybe a few new people can critique my work who never got a chance to see it on TO. Original Terraria Online Thread
I have another story on TO, but I don't know if it's worth posting here. Feel free to search for it if you want.
Thanks in advance for taking your time to read! An amateur can't improve without criticism.

-----------------------------------------

Cornered! I'm cornered... My sword lay by my side, gleaming golden and cracked, similar to the armor I bear.
As I cower, terrified against the wall of a stony precipice above, my grotesque foe moves in slowly, tauntingly, ready to strike the final blow.
I smell its retch-inducing breath as it opens the mouth-like gap that used to be some sort of iris, severed by the very sword that seems to have failed me for the last time.
Blood is dripping from its teeth the length of my body, I can see the mess of dead creatures inside the demon's gape. No throat, no stomach, this creature consumes to kill for no other reason than the sport of it, and leaves the carcasses of its victims to rot inside.
This is it, I think to myself. Of all the dangers I've faced thus far, this challenge shall be my final. The mouth continues to approach.

But... maybe not.

I can't let myself fall victim to the fear that follows this creature everywhere! I am greater than this! I pat my hand around on the ground, never breaking my stare from the vile creature, and I grip my sword.
As the demon is just putting its teeth around my head, I tighten my grip and thrust my sword upward, impaling it through the bottom jaw up through the top, sealing them completely shut.

The demon rears back and lets out a horrible muffled scream. It starts flailing back and forth and moving upward, attempting to remove the blade to no avail. As it reaches its highest point in the sky, illuminated by the moon in all of its horror, it lets out one more high-pitched hiss of a scream before it crumbles into chunks of flesh on the ground as if it were made of sand, which soon harden into some sort of dark, glowing metal.

I hear something similar to a thundercrack in the night sky, though there's not a cloud in sight. With it, a voice booms in the distance in a language I am unfamiliar with, yet understand as though I were raised to it.

"The Eye of Cthulhu has been defeated!"

Back
Top Bottom