Terraria Crashes when creating character

cLyde14

Terrarian
This glitch is where every time i hit the create button my game crashes and gives me a browser that just has code. This also happens when i hit the exit button and go to other specific settings in Terraria(Terraria Glitch). Basically i have tried nearly every tutorial on this forum to fix this but nothing has worked. I have messed with \Documents\My Games\Terraria so much but every time i do it gives me a glitch where i cant start up Terraria. That glitch doesn't matter because i can just delete the Terraria directory in my games and replace it with an old one and it fixes it. Thats gotten me no where. I have also tried uninstalling and verifying cache a ton of times but when i do that my terraria config will glitch out and i cant open my game. I have also tried a lot with regedit such as setting some values to 0 but i cant remember why. I have also tried unchecking cloud sync in steam and i have gotten rid of the 105600 file but that just messes with the terraria config and i wont be able to start my game. I have also updated my .Net Framework and XNA completely and it still doesnt work. The only thing that worked for a day was creating a new user and downloading steam then playing it. It worked fine till i got home today and it just has the same glitch where i cant create a character. My PC specs: Windows 10, AMD FX 8350, MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard (am3), Gigabyte GTX 970, g.skills ripjaw 16 gb ddr3 ram, Corsair 650 W , & Seagate 2 tb.

Attachments

• terrariaglitch.png
    terrariaglitch.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 2,137
In your Documents folder, there should be a folder called My Games, which should contain a folder named Terraria, which in turn should contain two folders named Worlds and Players. Can you verify those folders exist, and if not, create them?

This glitch is where every time i hit the create button my game crashes and gives me a browser that just has code. This also happens when i hit the exit button and go to other specific settings in Terraria(Terraria Glitch). Basically i have tried nearly every tutorial on this forum to fix this but nothing has worked. I have messed with \Documents\My Games\Terraria so much but every time i do it gives me a glitch where i cant start up Terraria. That glitch doesn't matter because i can just delete the Terraria directory in my games and replace it with an old one and it fixes it. Thats gotten me no where. I have also tried uninstalling and verifying cache a ton of times but when i do that my terraria config will glitch out and i cant open my game. I have also tried a lot with regedit such as setting some values to 0 but i cant remember why. I have also tried unchecking cloud sync in steam and i have gotten rid of the 105600 file but that just messes with the terraria config and i wont be able to start my game. I have also updated my .Net Framework and XNA completely and it still doesnt work. The only thing that worked for a day was creating a new user and downloading steam then playing it. It worked fine till i got home today and it just has the same glitch where i cant create a character. My PC specs: Windows 10, AMD FX 8350, MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard (am3), Gigabyte GTX 970, g.skills ripjaw 16 gb ddr3 ram, Corsair 650 W , & Seagate 2 tb.
They do exist, here's a picture.

Attachments

• terraria.png
    terraria.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,608
If you launch the program as an administrator do you get the same error? Does this happen when creating a character or attempting to load the character?

They do exist, here's a picture.
Yes, it is launched in administrator all the time and so is my steam. It happens when i attempt to create a character. If i load a character in a world i can do everything its just if i die my game crashes then when i load back in to the world everything in the characters inventory is gone. Its not a hardcore character either. This also reminds me about a glitch ive heard about where when you die the same thing happens as if you just created a new character which is why they both crash. Thanks for the reply though :D

To me, it seems that error is produced because it's looking for a file it can no longer find, which makes me wonder is there an x.plr file in your players folder? Or is it empty? Furthermore, what is causing the data to be deleted from that folder? Antivirus and firewalls will delete files they deem unsafe. Have you tried temporarily turning off your firewall and uninstalling your antivirus to see if that's what's causing it?

Another thing that can cause data to be deleted is a faulty hard drive. Have you tried using CHKDSK? To use this right click the drives you want to check in your file explorer, click on properties, then go to the tools tab and click "Check Now".

The only other thing I can think of that would cause data corruption is malware or a virus, so you could try re-enabling your antivirus and run a full system scan.

I found an old thread that talked about when the game handles a file it considers to be no good it sends them to the recycling bin. Have you checked your recycling bin? Does it have any .plr files in it?

One more question, are you running a modded version of terraria? or is it vanilla?

To me, it seems that error is produced because it's looking for a file it can no longer find, which makes me wonder is there an x.plr file in your players folder? Or is it empty? Furthermore, what is causing the data to be deleted from that folder? Antivirus and firewalls will delete files they deem unsafe. Have you tried temporarily turning off your firewall and uninstalling your antivirus to see if that's what's causing it?

Another thing that can cause data to be deleted is a faulty hard drive. Have you tried using CHKDSK? To use this right click the drives you want to check in your file explorer, click on properties, then go to the tools tab and click "Check Now".

The only other thing I can think of that would cause data corruption is malware or a virus, so you could try re-enabling your antivirus and run a full system scan.

I found an old thread that talked about when the game handles a file it considers to be no good it sends them to the recycling bin. Have you checked your recycling bin? Does it have any .plr files in it?

One more question, are you running a modded version of terraria? or is it vanilla?

Well no there is not an x.plr file in my players folder, heres a picture.

I have no antivirus running atm or ever really and i have tried disabling firewall but it still gave me the same glitch.

Ok so i tried using CHKDSK but when it checks my hard drive on reset it just gets stuck at 10%. Also how do i find the drives in file explorer?

I just ran my antivirus and deleted some threats but it didnt fix terraria.

My recycling bin has nothing in it and no its vanilla terraria.
[doublepost=1524933383,1524933151][/doublepost]Also heres a picture of my C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Terraria

Attachments

• playersfolder.png
    playersfolder.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 797
  • recyclingbin.png
    recyclingbin.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 755
  • steamapps.png
    steamapps.png
    51 KB · Views: 768
The CHKDSK getting stuck is already not a good sign for your hard drive, but doesn't always mean doom, sometimes Windows is at fault.

So first thing I want to verify before we continue, is that your Terraria folder isn't set to read only, in case that's causing any issues. Navigate to "My Documents" click on "My Games" then right click the Terraria folder and click on properties. Make sure Read-Only is unchecked, when you uncheck it Windows will open a dialog box, in this new dialog box click on "Apply changes to this folder, sub folders, and files" then click okay. Finally check to see if your problem is fixed.

If that doesn't solve your problem lets use a third party tool to check your hard drive. I think EaseUS Partition Master should do the job (you won't need to pay for it, the free version will do what we need to). Download the tool (and remember to say no to the third party offer of McAffee)

Once installed run the tool, it will ask you for a license, just click the "later" button in the bottom right. In the window that pops up it should list all your partitions indicated by letters (like your C: Drive). Right click the C: (also do any other partitions you have there) and click on "Check Partition". It will open a new window, in this window make sure all options are checked and then click okay. If done right, you should now see a window that looks like this:
disk-surface-test.png

Remember this will take awhile, bad sectors will be red, good sectors will be green. It should repair any errors it finds. Let me know if it finds any red squares, and if it repaired them for you. If it repaired the errors for you check to see if your problem is resolved.

Let me just take the time to say I'm real sorry you're having issues and we aren't finding a quick and easy solution for you. Hopefully we can get this resolved.

When i uncheck the "Read-only" button and then hit apply and okay it just turns checked again if i reopen the properties. I did try unchecking the box, hitting apply and okay, then checking the issue but it did not work. I will try using the EaseUS Partition Master software now and see if that works.

Also thank you a lot for your time man you seem really experienced at this.

Last edited:
I just ran the program and was able to get through everything except about 15-20 minutes through the test the whole program crashed. Ill try again though

So that could mean your hard drive is faulty, or, it could mean the program used was bunk. We need to figure out which this is so here is a link to some freeware hard drive checking tools to see if any of these free programs can check and repair your disk. I recommend you start with Windows built in tool and then work down the list.

https://www.geckoandfly.com/21498/check-repair-hard-disk-bad-sector/

If you have questions regarding these programs let me know so I can help you figure this out. Use them to attempt to scan the hard drive and repair the sectors. Let me know what the results are.

Remember this can and will take awhile to check and correct a disk. You don't need to use all the programs just them until you find one that is able to scan and repair your hard drive without crashing or getting stuck.

Yeah anytime, sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I typed up this entire guide for you just to realize I needed to make sure it was the hard drive and not the programs. So I had to delete the guide, and have you try this.

If any of the programs give an error rather than just freezing and crashing let me know, any information regarding errors is helpful. I really hope this step works, not being able to play Terraria is a terrible fate to succumb to.

Okay that changes things....

Any Developers ( @Skiphs @Yoraiz0r @Redigit @Cenx @Leinfors ) want to lend us a hand here? To Summarize his problem: Terraria crashes when creating a character, changing settings, or dying on a character he can load in as. (See Image attachment of original post for error)

Solutions he has tried:

• Reinstalling
  • Verifying Integrity of Game Cache
  • Unspecified Registry Edits
  • Other unspecificed forum tutorials
  • Setting Terraria's "My Game" folder to not just Read Only
  • Turning off Steam Cloud Sync
  • Updated .Net
  • Updated XNA
  • DSKCHK'ing the HDD to verify there are no bad sectors that might lead to Data Corruption
  • Running a Virus scan
  • Disabling Firewall and Antivirus solutions.
  • Running the game as an Administrator
He had something working by creating a new Windows user and downloading steam to play it, but after a day even that user was back to the same problem.

To me it would seem like Terraria can't create and edit the necessary files to run Terraria. Which indicates to me either a bad sector, a Read/Write issue, or permissions issue, but we tried those solutions and couldn't come to a resolution. Anyone have the piece of the puzzle I'm missing?

Last edited:
Ay man thanks for all the help but I geuss ill just forget about Terraria for a while until they update or someone gets back to me with something. I still cant believe all this stuff doesnt work but oh well. Thanks for your time Grumpy you are really helpful at what you do.

Hey, thanks for the patience and I'm sorry we couldn't get it sorted out together. I would like to try one more thing, or verify if it's been tried, before we get the development team in here to help out.

If this solution works it makes sense as to why none of the others did, and as to why you found a partial solution in creating a user. It doesn't answer WHY it's happening, at least to me, but this puzzle piece does fit partially so lets try it.

Were' going to navigate to \Documents\My Games\Terraria and we'll see a few .json files we want to delete those, and only those, this will make Terraria regenerate these files upon next launch. If done correctly, you will still be able to launch Terraria despite these files being deleted.

RR35vDf.png

You'll see the files above enclosed in a red box.

If this doesn't work than I am back to being out of ideas.

There's more information regarding this error than the other one, so this is progress. This new error was solved by people a couple of different ways. So let's go over them.

1) Do you have BitDefender installed? If you do, you need to give Terraria authorization to modify files on your computer. If this doesn't solve your problem, or this doesn't apply to you proceed to step 2.

2) What permissions do you have on your My Games folder? We need to make sure all users have Full Control to see if this will solve the new error. To do this go to your Documents and find you "My Games" Folder, right click it and select properties. A new window will pop up with a bunch of tabs, click on the security tab. You'll need to select each of the users on there and give them full control. So click on a user/group from the list then select edit. A new window will pop up, in this new window click on a user/group and make sure the full control checkbox is checked. Do this for all users and groups to, afterwards see if that fixed it and you can launch the game.

3UJorJf.png
moLX64W.png

I blacked out some personal information, but you should still get what you need to hopefully.

The thread of commonality with this error is that something is preventing access to your My games folder to give Terraria permission to create and change files. So if both of these don't work, tell me what program you use to scan for viruses so I can check how aggressive the program is with permissions of executables.

Back
Top Bottom