PC Terraria crashing upon launch, displays error on "Players"

ChrisAngel

Terrarian
Ok, so I open Terraria through the Steam Launcher. This issue happened at the beginning of 2017, and I have yet to fix it.

Here are my PC's specs
DESKTOP
CPU: i7-4790
GPU: GTX 1070 Ti
RAM: 32GB DDR3
MAIN DRIVE: 240GB SSD
SECONDARY DRIVE: 2TB HDD
SCREEN RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

Windows 10 was upgraded from Windows 8.1
I've tried to reinstall Terraria but even if I install it on my main drive, it still crashes.
When I launch it, it immediately opens up this window.
07-Sep-18 1:49:44 PM
Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReaderException: Invalid JavaScript property identifier character: }. Path 'Player', line 2, position 23.
at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ReadUnquotedPropertyReportIfDone(Char currentChar, Int32 initialPosition)
at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParseUnquotedProperty()
at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParseProperty()
at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParseObject()
at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.Read()
at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader.ReadAndAssert()
at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateObject(JsonReader reader, Type objectType, JsonContract contract, JsonProperty member, JsonContainerContract containerContract, JsonProperty containerMember, Object existingValue)
at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateValueInternal(JsonReader reader, Type objectType, JsonContract contract, JsonProperty member, JsonContainerContract containerContract, JsonProperty containerMember, Object existingValue)
at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.PopulateDictionary(IDictionary dictionary, JsonReader reader, JsonDictionaryContract contract, JsonProperty containerProperty, String id)
at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateObject(JsonReader reader, Type objectType, JsonContract contract, JsonProperty member, JsonContainerContract containerContract, JsonProperty containerMember, Object existingValue)
at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateValueInternal(JsonReader reader, Type objectType, JsonContract contract, JsonProperty member, JsonContainerContract containerContract, JsonProperty containerMember, Object existingValue)
at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.Deserialize(JsonReader reader, Type objectType, Boolean checkAdditionalContent)
at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer.DeserializeInternal(JsonReader reader, Type objectType)
at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.DeserializeObject(String value, Type type, JsonSerializerSettings settings)
at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.DeserializeObject[T](String value, JsonSerializerSettings settings)
at Terraria.IO.FavoritesFile.Load()
at Terraria.Main.Initialize()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(String[] args, Boolean monoArgs)
I think this happened (back then) because when I reinstalled my Windows and redownloaded Terraria on my second drive, it was still working, but I did not have any players or worlds. I transferred the player files from my old PC to "My Games\Terraria" Relaunched Terraria. Still didn't detect any players or worlds. Then I kept trying in different ways and it still didn't work (Games Folder, Steam Cloud, etc).

Then Terraria started crashing. I decided to just start over from the beginning. Deleted my character folders, deleted Terraria from the control panel, installed on SSD, and it still crashed. This time, I thought it didn't have anything to do with the player.

Hell, I even deleted the entire terraria folder in "My Games" and reinstalled Terraria several times, on each of the drives.

I've reinstalled every version of C++ (vcredist), also reinstalled XNA 4.0 and .NET 4.7.2
TerrariaServer.exe works, and I even made a new world through it. But the game client itself doesn't work.

As my old post from 2017, which sadly never got a solution...
"In other words, I wiped all my Terraria files and reinstalled and now it crashes right after launch."

Any help?

Attachments

• unknown.png
    unknown.png
    306.6 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
I know I helped someone with the exact same issue... Im having trouble remembering what the solution was...

Is this Vanilla or Modded Terraria? What if we change the save location? Follow the guide below and try a few different save locations.

Changing the Default Save Directory: It's possible to manipulate and change the default save directory in the event all previous steps have failed to help you. This method was found by a user on our forum, Thanks TorZar! It was originally used by TorVar to change the directory for mod purposes, but I believe the same method can be used to help solve this problem.

Method 1: Using a Shortcut - The Install Directory
  • Navigate to your install directory of Terraria, by default for steam it should be: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Terraria
  • Right click Terraria.exe and select "Create Shortcut".
  • Right click the newly created shortcut and select properties.
  • In the target field add -savedirectory saves at the end, it should now look something like below, and save it's files to the install directory in a folder called saves
T5cTqDB.png

Method 2: Using a Shortcut - Any Directory
  • Navigate to your install directory of Terraria, by default for steam it should be: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Terraria
  • Right click Terraria.exe and select "Create Shortcut".
  • Right click the newly created shortcut and select properties.
  • In the target field add -savedirectory and then add the file path so that it looks something like this -savedirectory C:\Terraria Save Data. Any file path can be used so long as you have the proper permissions on that user to modify files there. You can use a file path for a folder on your desktop, your local app data, or even an external drive. (so long as that drive is mounted)
ns6ahII.png

I have the same problem. I launch the game and it start flickering and in the top label where it says terraria:start diggin or else , it also says (don,t respond) or so and the game crash. can you help?

I have the same problem. I launch the game and it start flickering and in the top label where it says terraria:start diggin or else , it also says (don,t respond) or so and the game crash. can you help?
Just to confirm, you get the exact same error log too? Could you screenshot it and upload it here?

Hello again, sorry for the late reply. I tried the following methods you listed above and I still got the same issue, perhaps Terraria still tried to save in the default save directory? Opened the file directly and also opened from Steam. Both list the same issue. Also tried with admin perms.

Is this happening with vanilla, or is your Terraria modded? I need some clarification on something you tried, you deleted the Terraria folder in My Games, uninstalled Terraria, reinstalled Terraria, then launched the game and the same crash is produced? You didn't try to import and folders of your own or use any previous save or file, you launched the game immediately after the reinstall?

Back
Top Bottom