Official Terraria for Mac & Linux In Development!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loki

Consigliere
Staff member
Re-Logic
Administrator
Greetings Terrarians!

As you know, we have been working diligently over the past 18 months to expand the World of Terraria - both in regards to the scope of the game itself as well as the platforms on which it can be played. It has been simply amazing to watch our community expand into Console and Mobile in parallel with our reinvigorated PC fans.

That said, we are extremely pleased to share the two teaser screenshots below that we hope will finally address a long-desired addition to Terraria: availability for both Mac and Linux!

Q: Will existing Windows worlds/characters be compatible with the Mac/Linux versions?
A: Absolutely! Existing Windows players should be able to copy over and utilize their existing world/character files.

Q: Will owners of the existing Windows version on Steam have to purchase the Mac/Linux versions separately?
A: Our intent is to provide the Mac/Linux versions free of charge to any existing owners of Terraria on Steam. The logistics and/or if this is possible will play out as we get closer to launch.

Q: Can players on different platforms (Windows/Mac/Linux) play together on the same server?
A: Yes indeed! Players from across the Terraria "computer-based" platforms should be able to jump in servers together for some Terraria multiplayer sessions with no issues.

Q: What version will these ports be? Is there a launch timing/date?
A: The current plan is for both of these ports to update in parallel with the original PC version. That means version 1.3 and that they will hopefully launch at the same time as the 1.3 update itself. As always, things can change and issues arise that would cause this to change - but this is the current intent/plan. We will keep you updated as we get closer and know more.

UPDATE: Based upon current status and planning, the expectations is that Mac/Linux will launch shortly after 1.3. This is to ensure the most stable Mac/Linux builds possible so that everyone has the best experience possible.

In full transparency, both of these versions are very much in development, so we cannot make any promises as to a launch date - or even if they will ultimately be feasible - but we wanted to make sure that our long-suffering Mac/Linux fans know that we are working diligently to bring Terraria to their platform!

8CnnSih.jpg

Wiv8h7E.png

Stay tuned for further updates on this and many other Re-Logic developments!

Last edited:
New forums are fun.

So, any new information about the release (or current progress) of these versions? Are we going to have to wait for 1.3 to get them?

Good gosh, finally! I've been waiting for this for forever. And I made an account just to post and say how pumped I am to hear this!
It's not like this is new or anything. They've been working on it for a while and showed teasers for a while. Also asked for beta testers a bit back. They just have gone dark since then.

Q: Can players on different platforms (Windows/Mac/Linux) play together on the same server?
A: Yes indeed! Players from across the Terraria "computer-based" platforms should be able to jump in servers together for some Terraria multiplayer sessions with no issues.

Loki, I'll re-ask my question from the old forums (you said you would ask about it); is there a chance we'll also see a Mac (and Linux too, I suppose) version of the server? I'm asking because I have a Mac Mini running 24/7 that I'd love to leave my wife and I's world running on. (Although, I do wonder if the corruption would take over the world while no one was logged in)

That's great to hear for Mac/Linux Users! :D Great job, ReLogic! :) I bet most Mac/Linux Users are freaking out that it's finally happening eve though they have been working on it for a bit :p

@Skiphs would be better suited to answer. I have to assume yes...how else will everyone play together? ;)

@Skiphs would be better suited to answer. I have to assume yes...how else will everyone play together? ;)

No problem, I was posing it to you just because on the other forums you'd said you'd look into it. I'm assuming the new clients will have the built-in server; I should have said I was wondering about a dedicated server.

That's great to hear for Mac/Linux Users! :D Great job, ReLogic! :) I bet most Mac/Linux Users are freaking out that it's finally happening eve though they have been working on it for a bit :p

I know I am. Can't wait for this dream to become a reality.

I have a Windows partition on my Macbook Pro just for Terraria. Can't wait for it to come to OSX and Linux. Once available on those platforms, I will be playing, a lot! Keep up the great work!

I myself a user of GNU/Linux (a tech enthusiast, what would you expect?)
This is really great cause finally I can boot into Linux to play Terraria rather than waiting for the booting duration of Windows. Terraria can be ran under Wine, however, its relatively not fine. This quite native port approach would work well for most of us Linux and Mac users!

I am really excited about this news! Crossing my fingers for a native nix client with the 1.3 update, but I know it is most likely going to come at a later date.

Keep up the good work!

Meh, I am happy it is even coming at all, it could be another year away and I would still be excited.

I would also like to thank the devs for this. Porting to Mac/Linux is always a difficult decision to make, and may not even pay for the dev's time. You guys made a wonderful choice, thank you for bringing another wonderful game to us few percenters running Mac/Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom