3DS Terraria for Nintendo 3DS is Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posts containing only 1 word, images, or emoji are against the rules. Please try to include at least one complete sentence so that you're actually contributing to the discussion.
Ah right, Sorry. The reason behind that post was simply because I saw that announcement a couple days ago on the site's home page, And because I hadn't opened the thread I assumed it was referring to a physical and virtual release of the game.

Earlier I attempted to purchase a physical game copy, Which as stated on this thread, The physical game release isn't until early 2016. Rather than try to explain my disappointment, I opted to leave it simply as ":mad: :(".

Responses that short are tolerated on other sites I commonly use, I had forgotten the rules are different on this site and I promise not to repeat similar mistakes in the future. :)

I bought the 3ds version. I wonder how soon bug fixes will be implemented... I enjoyed the tutorial.

I'd imagine patches would be released via an internet update, Similarly to past Nintendo 3DS/Wii U games that released patches. Hypothetically speaking, The delay on the physical game release simply could have been to let people test the virtual copy for bugs, Meaning any patches made between now and the game's physical release could be pushed in to the game without the need for a patch. Those who currently have the virtual game copy will likely not have any problem updating, As opposed to someone with a physical game copy but no internet access.

I'd imagine patches would be released via an internet update, Similarly to past Nintendo 3DS/Wii U games that released patches. Hypothetically speaking, The delay on the physical game release simply could have been to let people test the virtual copy for bugs, Meaning any patches made between now and the game's physical release could be pushed in to the game without the need for a patch. Those who currently have the virtual game copy will likely not have any problem updating, As opposed to someone with a physical game copy but no internet access.
Incredibly unlikely, I'm afraid. I've noticed there's been a lot of misconception surrounding the early release of the digitally-distributed copy of the game, so perhaps an explanation is in order.

First of all, physical distribution is a lot more time-consuming than people seem to realize. After the game has been completed, only then can the process of physical distribution begin, in which the game's ROM is flashed onto cartridges, packaged, and then delivered to retailers. This process can take upwards of a month, considering the sheer number of copies needed to meet the foreseen demand.

With these concepts in mind, I suspect that the physical version of the game is currently in this very process as we speak, preparing to be released as early as possible in the coming year. If this is the case, then modifying the ROM of the physical cartridges would require manufacturing to start all over again, which would be expensive both in terms of monetary and temporal value. While it's of course not impossible that this could happen, I cannot imagine any business wishing to make a profit siding with such a decision.

Of course, it's entirely possible that an update to the game could be issued between now and the street date of release for the physical version, whenever that is. If this were to happen, however, both the digital and physical versions would be required to download it, for reasons of feasible practicality I've already noted. The version of the game flashed onto cartridges will be identical to the initial eShop release we have now.

Many have already made known their belief that the current digitally-distributed version is somehow an incomplete or 'rushed' version of the game. While I cannot dismiss the possibility completely, due to lack of evidence on my side to deny it, I would argue that the early release was provided simply to have the game available before Christmas. If the physical version is indeed in the process of manufacturing, this would mean that the game was already completed, with the only thing holding a digital release back would be waiting for physical copies to be created and delivered to appropriate retailers. You'll find that most games distributed both physically and digitally tend to release simultaneously so as one does not cannibalize the sales of the other. 505 Games likely made this decision with great care, finalizing this course of action so as not to miss Christmas sales waiting for physical cartridges to be prepared.

Another bug, the AI of the duck isn't right, instead of flying away from you instead, they do nothing.
Edit- also they don't float on water.o_O

I just found a drax in a shadow chest in easy mode. That's not right, right? Feeling way OP.
When in doubt, check the Official Wiki.
On the
Mobile_only.png
Mobile version, it has a chance of being found In a Shadow Chest, making it obtainable pre-Hardmode.
It would appear that Codeglue has developed the 3DS port with their changes to Mobile as a base after all.

Probably a frequently asked question but, for the 3DS version will there be Online Multiplayer?
There is no online multiplayer functionality for Terraria on Nintendo 3DS at this time, but it's been stated that it's a possibility in the future.. From the FAQ.
3DS is four player ad hoc.
Online multiplayer is not off the table forever, it just won't be a launch feature.

Nintendo is much stricter than Sony and Microsoft when it comes to the creation and transmission of user generated content, and the terraforming and sign edits etc fall under that. Local Play is seen as a safer environment for multiplayer on 3DS, because you are basically face to face with the other players.
This was a fairly early statement, mind. Circumstances may have changed to have made online on 3DS ultimately impossible, but that likely depends on how the 3DS offloads the technical overhead of online play and exactly how much overhead exists.

The resources for Local Play to be possible have been reserved, so the biggest question is whether or not the resources exist to up that to an online setting. I've sometimes wondered if the 3DS actually loads that strain into its 32MB of reserved RAM and other reserved processing power that runs the OS, but it's impossible to know for sure without having received official information from Nintendo for development purposes.

Last edited:
Anyone else experiencing the game just crashing at random/fixed area? As soon as i enter my house the game suddenly freezes and goes to 3ds menu giving me an error. Ive went to the eshop and repaired software multiple times and its getting annoying. :/

oh man I didn't know I could get the Rockfish in this version. now I'm excited..this is sweeeet!!! This must mean I can get the Reaver Shark too. It's not a perfect port just yet and the controls are a lil wonky to get used to but this is awesome!!

Anyone else experiencing the game just crashing at random/fixed area? As soon as i enter my house the game suddenly freezes and goes to 3ds menu giving me an error. Ive went to the eshop and repaired software multiple times and its getting annoying. :/
is it a 2ds, 3ds, or a N3ds?

Is it too much to ask for the targetting system to make projectiles that are affected by gravtiy to be compensated for? Targetting a slime that is too far to be shot (with bow) without having to jump annoys me sometimes

It's OK if it isn't added but boy would I be happy

Is it too much to ask for the targetting system to make projectiles that are affected by gravtiy to be compensated for? Targetting a slime that is too far to be shot (with bow) without having to jump annoys me sometimes

It's OK if it isn't added but boy would I be happy
1. you could use the d-pad but much slower to aim, or 2 you can use the auto-lock which is x.
[DOUBLEPOST=1450068133,1450067947][/DOUBLEPOST]Like most people said the spear is buggy, it's powerfull if you know how to use it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom