Terraria Future and Spoilers Discussion Thread

Which update do you think was/is the most important one so far?

Votes: 113 13.7%

Votes: 352 42.7%

Votes: 358 43.4%

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
Swag

Attachments

• 21858365.499999985_727.png
    21858365.499999985_727.png
    108 KB · Views: 161
With having played 1.4. I think it is a good time to provide "updated thoughts"

Before 1.4, I considered 1.2 my favorite update, due to how much depth it brought into hardmode overall and brought many incredible quality of life features such as walking over 1 block. An extra row of inventory space, stacking of blocks up to 999 instead of 250.

Not to mention all the biomes getting Hardmode content in some form. In 1.1, it was just the Underground Corruption & Hallow. With the Wyvern in the sky islands. The new backgrounds helped to really bring the game to life as well I feel.

Now come 1.4. And even more quality of life and aesthetic upgrades come in. Along with greatly expanding on fishing, bringing two new world difficulties and several special seeds. There are also features such as a Bestiary which I absolutely love seeing in games and the Void Bag/Void Vault which helps hoarders like myself greatly manage inventory better. I can explore underground for an hour even if my main inventory is completely full (which it always does get full within seconds in Late PHM and Early Hardmode and beyond.

With all of that making the game far more aesthetically pleasing ontop of the new features and content. 1.4 is easily my new favorite update among Terraria's history. Not just because it's the last update, but the content that has been added is extremely good for making the game the ultimate experience.

Is that a necro thread I see? Tsk tsk tsk. Well, regardless... Let me present my thoughts on Terraria's future.

Option 1 - Too Long; Didn't read
The future is... Not a very bright one. Reverting back to 1.3 balance while keeping the new additions of 1.4 would be nice.

Option 2 - Too Long; But I have time to read
The future is not a very bright one if whatever comes next doesn't fix what 1.4 wrought or brings similar stuff. From 1.1 to 1.3 Terraria has been a game about possibilities and branched out progression. I welcome the "balance" Re-Logic has brought into the game, making flails not useless, giving some weapons special effects etc. I do love new additions too. But then came the fixes to "bugs", forcing players into a predetermined progression route.

Fishing has been nerfed, to *force* the players into digging for new hardmode ores. Titanium armor has been nerfed, to *force* the players into fighting the enemies as intended instead of cheesing with the dummies. Strong weapons have been nerfed, to *force* the players into fighting the enemies and bosses how it is intended. Instead of buffing what is weak the developers have nerfed a lot of progression to *force* the players into one specific way they want you to play the game. Instead of cheesing through some fights and having fun the players are now *forced* to play it as intended. Since when did Terraria start to aim for competitive game where no fun is allowed?

Did you notice how many times I used FORCE in the paragraph above? I even used asterisks, I'm very funny, I know. Exploration and imagination are no longer rewarded, for 90% of the time they now yield useless rewards. I understand the concern about strong players getting all the good stuff quickly, knowing the "meta" and storming through the early mode, but the new players will get nothing of what the older ones got from 1.3. They'll never be truly rewarded for smart thinking and outplaying the game, the game will always own them back.

And besides the massive progression nerf what else did we get? Journey Mode and Master Mode. Do I have to tell you how bad these modes are? I probably don't. Let's dissect one by one. Journey Mode is an attempt on Creative mode from Minecraft, but still requiring the player to gather the items, while also *forcing* Journey players into Journey worlds. Master Mode is just Expert Mode, but more annoying, because of crazy damage, frequent deaths - and nothing to give to the player besides pets and shiny statues - it's an annoyance.

Conclusion: Whereas previous updates expanded players' possibilities, 1.4 forces the players, old and new, to play how developers wanted them to play, severely limiting the possible progression and limiting the player into predetermined progression route that they wanted you to follow since 1.0. The new hyped-up modes are not worth the hype, there was more work put into seeds rather than into those modes. But at least we got some new building material and accessories.

Strong weapons have been nerfed, to *force* the players into fighting the enemies and bosses how it is intended. Instead of buffing what is weak the developers have nerfed a lot of progression to *force* the players into one specific way they want you to play the game. Instead of cheesing through some fights and having fun the players are now *forced* to play it as intended. Since when did Terraria start to aim for competitive game where no fun is allowed?
Actually, the Dart Rifle and Dart Pistol were already considered S tier by everyone who bothered to use/test them, the daedalus was just so strong that it overshadowed them. Then they buffed them to an ABSURD degree for some godforsaken reason, and now we have TWO ridiculously powerful ranger weapons at the start of hardmode, but unlike the Stormbow, these ones can be used underground, and either have ridiculous crowd control with crystal/cursed darts (to the point that you can stunlock an entire horde of enemies during a master mode solar eclipse even if they aren't clumped together), or basically turn them into a midrange shotgun with even higher damage and ichor. They were even nice enough to make it so you can get both world evils in your world by having the dryad sell the opposite one's seeds in the graveyard.

Also, many of the new systems (NPC happiness in particular) allow you to grind up money MUCH faster than before, to the point that literally only cosmetic pets and Reforging are the only things NPCs offer that require any effort to obtain any more.

Last edited:
Actually, the Dart Rifle and Dart Pistol were already considered S tier by everyone who bothered to use/test them, the daedalus was just so strong that it overshadowed them. Then they buffed them to an ABSURD degree for some godforsaken reason, and now we have TWO ridiculously powerful ranger weapons at the start of hardmode, but unlike the Stormbow, these ones can be used underground, and either have ridiculous crowd control with crystal/cursed darts (to the point that you can stunlock an entire horde of enemies during a master mode solar eclipse even if they aren't clumped together), or basically turn them into a midrange shotgun with even higher damage and ichor. They were even nice enough to make it so you can get both world evils in your world by having the dryad sell the opposite one's seeds in the graveyard.
We gotta meme the dart guns! That's how the daedleus got nerfed!

That... doesn't change my point that the players are forced to choose X over Y. Strong weapons are nerfed, new meta is formed, blah blah... The thing is - you have less options to choose now. People who tested Dart Rifle knew it was strong and used it, and now everyone will be forced to use them if they want to stay "meta". The reaver shark was a rare catch you had to know about to get any use of, and it significantly simplified the gameplay for those who didn't want to spend time farming, but now it's barely useful. Daedalus was nerfed into the ground specifically with strong arrows to combat the cheese. And then they buff the Dart P/R creating a new OP weapon, where they could just buff it without nerfs.

I think you missed my point where I said that there are a lot of nice additions with a lot of progression nerfs. You are forced into a specific route of upgrades and farming to get to the endgame, which is just bad. But I guess people will completely ignore this and focus on new stuff while it's still fresh in their minds. :/

That... doesn't change my point that the players are forced to choose X over Y. Strong weapons are nerfed, new meta is formed, blah blah... The thing is - you have less options to choose now. People who tested Dart Rifle knew it was strong and used it, and now everyone will be forced to use them if they want to stay "meta". The reaver shark was a rare catch you had to know about to get any use of, and it significantly simplified the gameplay for those who didn't want to spend time farming, but now it's barely useful. Daedalus was nerfed into the ground specifically with strong arrows to combat the cheese. And then they buff the Dart P/R creating a new OP weapon, where they could just buff it without nerfs.
They aren't forced to use the dart rifles. In fact, after actually bothering to use the daedalus+holy arrow combo in master mode, I've found it can still easily kill the mechs (except maybe skeletron prime) without breaking a sweat (or even the 90 second mark.) They didn't nerf it enough to make it useless, it still can actually kill large targets reasonably quickly, it just doesn't let you hold down m1 and create both an impassable barrier and a boss shredder at literally no cost anymore. That's hardly forcing people out of using it, in fact, it's still far better off than most of early hardmode's entire Melee arsenal (in fact, it might be better than all of it), which proves how broken it was. The reaver shark nerf was unfortunate and I never supported it even before the update, but the Daedalus is still in a good spot, just not actual god tier.
I think you missed my point where I said that there are a lot of nice additions with a lot of progression nerfs. You are forced into a specific route of upgrades and farming to get to the endgame, which is just bad. But I guess people will completely ignore this and focus on new stuff while it's still fresh in their minds. :/
...No.

There's still almost no reason to get hellstone except for a pickaxe and maybe a fireproof bug net. Everything crafted from it is either completely replacable or outclassed by items you can obtain before it. Meteor Armor still outclasses Molten Armor. Crimson Armor still outclasses Molten Armor too.

...No.

There's still almost no reason to get hellstone except for a pickaxe and maybe a fireproof bug net. Everything crafted from it is either completely replacable or outclassed by items you can obtain before it. Meteor Armor still outclasses Molten Armor. Crimson Armor still outclasses Molten Armor too.
Hey there are a few great hellstone items worth getting namely the Phoenix Blaster and Imp Staff as stand outs and the Molten fury isn't bad either as its high base damage makes it particularly useful against higher defense foes). Plus you need a Fiery Greatsword to get the Nights Edge to eventually get the Terrablade and Zenith though it sucks on its own courtesy of being a standard melee item. Only the Flamerang and other basic Boomerang weapons kind of suck as Boomerang mechanics haven't held up to the test of time as the game has developed. Which is sad as boomerangs have always been one of my favorite weapons to use they are just outclassed.... point is hellstone is still useful just not the best choice for armor as defense is rendered largely irrelevant in Master mode. (It works up until hardmode but then the scaling goes absurd)

Hey there are a few great hellstone items worth getting namely the Phoenix Blaster and Imp Staff as stand outs and the Molten fury isn't bad either as its high base damage makes it particularly useful against higher defense foes). Plus you need a Fiery Greatsword to get the Nights Edge to eventually get the Terrablade and Zenith though it sucks on its own courtesy of being a standard melee item. Only the Flamerang and other basic Boomerang weapons kind of suck as Boomerang mechanics haven't held up to the test of time as the game has developed. Which is sad as boomerangs have always been one of my favorite weapons to use they are just outclassed.... point is hellstone is still useful just not the best choice for armor as defense is rendered largely irrelevant in Master mode. (It works up until hardmode but then the scaling goes absurd)
I mostly pointed out armor because that's what people tend to think is the most helpful thing you can make with hellstone, and why the devs nerfed the reaver shark in the first place.

1.1, added hardmode.
Without it, there isn't really a barrier between the character and the high-end tools.
I think every version was great, though. Even 1.0 had more content than... you know.

minecraft

Is that a necro thread I see? Tsk tsk tsk. Well, regardless... Let me present my thoughts on Terraria's future.
Wow, this post didn't age well... 😅🥤

Option 1 - Too Long; Didn't read
The future is... Not a very bright one. Reverting back to 1.3 balance while keeping the new additions of 1.4 would be nice.

Option 2 - Too Long; But I have time to read
The future is not a very bright one if whatever comes next doesn't fix what 1.4 wrought or brings similar stuff. From 1.1 to 1.3 Terraria has been a game about possibilities and branched out progression. I welcome the "balance" Re-Logic has brought into the game, making flails not useless, giving some weapons special effects etc. I do love new additions too. But then came the fixes to "bugs", forcing players into a predetermined progression route.
Not sure if you even still feel this way, but the fact that the devs are still working on this game says a lot. I don't agree with a lot of changes in 1.4.1, but only because I saw how hard the devs were working to reimagine an aging classic. If they wanna re-add the progression skips they put so much effort into tryng to fix, I don't really mind anymore, they were there in 1.3.5... & I still thought the game was great. 😏🤷‍♂️🥤

Fishing has been nerfed, to *force* the players into digging for new hardmode ores. Titanium armor has been nerfed, to *force* the players into fighting the enemies as intended instead of cheesing with the dummies. Strong weapons have been nerfed, to *force* the players into fighting the enemies and bosses how it is intended. Instead of buffing what is weak the developers have nerfed a lot of progression to *force* the players into one specific way they want you to play the game. Instead of cheesing through some fights and having fun the players are now *forced* to play it as intended. Since when did Terraria start to aim for competitive game where no fun is allowed?
Fishing is actually getting buffed, as with all the new stuf, I think the devs realized it wasn't necessary to nerf it anymore. I know you couldn't have possibly known this, since I'm replying to you in the future, but still...

Did you notice how many times I used FORCE in the paragraph above? I even used asterisks, I'm very funny, I know. Exploration and imagination are no longer rewarded, for 90% of the time they now yield useless rewards. I understand the concern about strong players getting all the good stuff quickly, knowing the "meta" and storming through the early mode, but the new players will get nothing of what the older ones got from 1.3. They'll never be truly rewarded for smart thinking and outplaying the game, the game will always own them back.
Actually, there were newer, much smarter progression skips in 1.4.0.5. It didn't get to breath long enough to be discovered by many, but I kinda feel like this claim was a reach anyhow. When newer stuff is added to a game, the meta normally evolves right along with it, so even though I'm replying in the future, this paragraph here was bound to age poorly. 😬🥤

And besides the massive progression nerf what else did we get? Journey Mode and Master Mode. Do I have to tell you how bad these modes are? I probably don't. Let's dissect one by one. Journey Mode is an attempt on Creative mode from Minecraft, but still requiring the player to gather the items, while also *forcing* Journey players into Journey worlds. Master Mode is just Expert Mode, but more annoying, because of crazy damage, frequent deaths - and nothing to give to the player besides pets and shiny statues - it's an annoyance.
Nah, Journey Mode is amazing. It's a totally different game of Terraria & an amazing addition. You really get to do a LOT of stuff that you'd normally miss out on in Classic Mode or other difficulties. Few examples are infinite Chlorophyte, infinite food items, strategies used to collect the required number to duplicate an item, 10x Enemies spawn rate, etc. It's nothing like Creative Mode in Minecraft.

Master Mode, though I enjoy, I can agree with. However, ForTheWorthy is also it's own difficulty setting, which actually changes the game in fundamental ways. It's the changes people wanted to see, even if they were smaller ones... so yeah, Master Mode is technically a different game if you want it to be. 🤷‍♂️🥤

Conclusion: Whereas previous updates expanded players' possibilities, 1.4 forces the players, old and new, to play how developers wanted them to play, severely limiting the possible progression and limiting the player into predetermined progression route that they wanted you to follow since 1.0. The new hyped-up modes are not worth the hype, there was more work put into seeds rather than into those modes. But at least we got some new building material and accessories.
Nah, I've already found several progression skips that only 1.4.0.5 allowed at the time, if 1.4.1.2-3 didn't/ doesn't fix them, they'll still be there waiting to be discovered. It's also important to note that, I wasn't even trying to progression skip when I found these exploits, so imagine a powergamer, given enough time.

Back
Top Bottom