"Terraria is a ripoff of Minecraft" comebacks

Terraria isn’t even a survival game past the earliest tiers and the start of hardmode honestly. You don’t really even need to participate in growing food to survive, and the penalty for dying is minimal compared to true survival games. It likes to advertise itself as a survival game so it can subvert your expectations.

Terraria isn’t even a survival game past the earliest tiers and the start of hardmode honestly. You don’t really even need to participate in growing food to survive, and the penalty for dying is minimal compared to true survival games. It likes to advertise itself as a survival game so it can subvert your expectations.
Start of hardmode is just crazy, especially if you cheese the wall of flesh, and sky bridges are rendered useless by wyverns until you get mid hardmode gear. (titanium/adamantite - chlorophyte) jungle is just unliveable for the same reasons. derplings, angry trappers, giant tortioses, moss hornets, etc.

That's funny because people say Minecraft is an adventure game, but it's just "Stay In Your Wooden Box And Not Die: The Game" and honestly Terraria isn't really survival, the only penalty is money loss and teleport back to the spawn, unless you choose to make it so (Hard, Hardcore) and it really focuses on adventure and a bit of building without "Oh no now I have to find my stuff and go back to my box"

[for clarification this isn't a response to another comment and the start my insinuate that. it's not]

"Why are you playing a Minecraft ripoff?". Of course, this gets on my nerves. This thread is a place for people to post things that we can say back to those Minecrafters.

Say something like:

"Yes, this definitely started as 2D Minecraft conceptually, but it also has a lot of changes to the gameplay, like being more of an RPG adventure instead of mainly a sandbox. And being second person allows for a whole different perspective on combat and exploration. No pun intended.
So it's worth playing for its own sake.
Oh, and guns.
Definitely guns.
See this flamethrower?"

Desperately trying to deny or redirect from the obvious Minecraft heritage just keeps you off balance and on the defensive.

Agreeing with the fundamental truth in that assertion lets you get past it, to move on and make your case as to why it stands on its own and is worthy of play...over the idea that one should just stick to "the original".

In life in general:

Find the truths held within critical or negative things other people say,
tell them why you agree with those parts,
and
then move on to advocate your position.

You will find you progress far more in the conversation, keep control of it, and "win" debates and disputes almost universally.

Last edited:
Just because this thread is about defending Terraria, doesn't mean Minecraft should be hated either. Both are great games (source, I play both), and both have wildly different play styles, mechanics, and features. Don't hate on Minecraft because of the toxic side of its community, accept it for what it is instead of bashing it for being played differently then Terraria. Both are sandbox based, but one is more focused on exploration and creativity, while the other is more focused on battling bosses and adventure. Both deserve the popularity and attention they have. If you don't like how Minecraft is played, then don't play it. You don't have to hate it because you don't play it, just let it be instead of causing more arguments and problems.

Also, all this childish arguing isn't going to get any of us anywhere. If you don't like Terraria, then you probably shouldn't be on the forum dedicated to it. If you don't like Minecraft, then leave it be and stop bashing it because it's not the kind of game you like. Both are quite literally video games made for fun, so there shouldn't be a reason to get so worked up over which is better.

And I didn't want to come off as harsh here, I simply wanted to get my point across in an effort to cease this argument once and for all.

Last edited:
Just because this thread is about defending Terraria, doesn't mean Minecraft should be hated either. Both are great games (source, I play both), and both have wildly different play styles, mechanics, and features. Don't hate on Minecraft because of the toxic side of its community, accept it for what it is instead of bashing it for being played differently then Terraria. Both are sandbox based, but one is more focused on exploration and creativity, while the other is more focused on battling bosses and adventure. Both deserve the popularity and attention they have. If you don't like how Minecraft is played, then don't play it. You don't have to hate it because you don't play it, just let it be instead of causing more arguments and problems.

Also, all this childish arguing isn't going to get any of us anywhere. If you don't like Terraria, then you probably shouldn't be on the forum dedicated to it. If you don't like Minecraft, then leave it be and stop bashing it because it's not the kind of game you like. Both are quite literally video games made for fun, so there shouldn't be a reason to get so worked up over which is better.

And I didn't want to come off as harsh here, I simply wanted to get my point across in an effort to cease this argument once and for all.

Sadly, a toxic playerbase will very much ruin a game's reputation. See: League of Legends.

Though I suppose it does help that Terraria is a singleplayer experience with optional multiplayer and League is a full MP-only game.

So I guess a better example would be Undertale. Such an awesome game, but disliked by quite a few people purely because of its rabid fanbase.

I think it's stupid to dislike a SP game because of its fanbase, but eh. What can you do, I suppose.

I'd like to try Minecraft someday, I just never made the leap and one of the reasons why is because of lack of availability on Steam. If they put it on Steam I'd probably have bought it by now, not sure I want to go through yet another company's storefront just to get it.

Sadly, a toxic playerbase will very much ruin a game's reputation. See: League of Legends.

Though I suppose it does help that Terraria is a singleplayer experience with optional multiplayer and League is a full MP-only game.

So I guess a better example would be Undertale. Such an awesome game, but disliked by quite a few people purely because of its rabid fanbase.

I think it's stupid to dislike a SP game because of its fanbase, but eh. What can you do, I suppose.

I'd like to try Minecraft someday, I just never made the leap and one of the reasons why is because of lack of availability on Steam. If they put it on Steam I'd probably have bought it by now, not sure I want to go through yet another company's storefront just to get it.
I do love Undertale, but yes a lot of its fanbase is absolutely horrid. Though MInecraft's might be better despite being more popular, but I don't want to bother finding out.

Plus, Microsoft bought Minecraft, so it wouldn't make too much sense for it to be bought on Steam, which is owned by Valve. I understand what you mean though.

I would just explain terraria progression until they punch me, leave, or admit terraria isn't a rip off. I think most people who think terraria is a ripoff have only seen the first 3 minutes of gameplay, which are very similar to minecraft's first 3 minutes, but after that they really diverge in to totally different things.

I do love Undertale, but yes a lot of its fanbase is absolutely horrid. Though MInecraft's might be better despite being more popular, but I don't want to bother finding out.

Plus, Microsoft bought Minecraft, so it wouldn't make too much sense for it to be bought on Steam, which is owned by Valve. I understand what you mean though.

Yeah, I 'get' why MC is not on Steam, I just don't like having to set up a whole 'nuther account, for a whole 'nuther storefront for just 1 game. I hate doing that.

Imo Terraria is not a Minecraft ripoff, reasons because it's a different platform style, the game is more hard, more interesting boss fights, the game actually has nice music unlike Minecraft, characters in the game aren't boxy, more weapons to use in game, the game is more fantasy style, and lastly there is two dangerous things that can spread in your world and can take over if you can't take care of it. So there, those are the things. People can call it a ripoff, but it's no ripoff imo.

Minecraft and Terraria are both good and they both offer a good experience. But I feel like with Minecraft it gets really repetitive and boring, defeating the Ender dragon and the wither. With Terraria you have heaps more variety in playstyle and exploring the different biomes. Minecraft has biomes as well, but does not offer as much as Terraria biomes do, with their weapons and chests belonging to their specific area. Mojang updates Minecraft regularly but does not include items that would benefit the player as such, but rather be an annoying new monster or animal that drops the same leather or meat. Minecraft can be a relaxing experience, whereas Terraria can be more widespread and fun, with the extra bits of options.

In saying this, I think they both give a great experience for new players to enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom