Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Mac Other
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I updated to the new macos monterey 3 days ago. Now when I press play, the game is unable to launch and quits immediately. Tmodloader works fine but terraria ain't working :(. We need a bug fix update as soon as possible.

Yeah, not sure if this is on their radar yet. I spent hours trying to get Terraria running, reinstalled the OS, everything. After all those hours I found this post and one or two others about how it doesn't work on Monterey.

Apparently older versions are working according to this post.

Hey!

I was browsing the Steam forums for any possible solutions to this, and apparently it's an issue with sdl2. I had sdl2 installed using brew on my mac, and just uninstalling that brew package with

brew uninstall --ignore-dependencies sdl2

fixed the issue. To be honest, I don't remember why I installed sdl2 to begin with (probably for X-Code at some point).

Here's the steam forum post about the issue macOS Monterey 12.0.1 (21A559) software crashes (闪退) :: Terraria General Discussions

There was also another solution provided that just removed the libSDL2 library from Terraria's application, but I wouldn't necessarily take that route.

I tried using the command but it showed this error. What should I do? @ZX497

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-21 at 16.27.55.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-21 at 16.27.55.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 318
You should upgrade brew:

You should upgrade brew:

Thanks man!! It worked. It was impossible to figure this out without your help bcz the command of deleting that was hidden in the steam community. TY very much. Would definitely give others the solution to this :)

Hey!

I was browsing the Steam forums for any possible solutions to this, and apparently it's an issue with sdl2. I had sdl2 installed using brew on my mac, and just uninstalling that brew package with

brew uninstall --ignore-dependencies sdl2

fixed the issue. To be honest, I don't remember why I installed sdl2 to begin with (probably for X-Code at some point).

Here's the steam forum post about the issue macOS Monterey 12.0.1 (21A559) software crashes (闪退) :: Terraria General Discussions

There was also another solution provided that just removed the libSDL2 library from Terraria's application, but I wouldn't necessarily take that route.

Can confirm,Brew command worked for me. Thanks, man.

Didn't work for me (also sdl2 is required for ffmpeg, which may be why it was installed)

edit: deleting the file in the terraria app did work, however.

Yeah, I found this solution on another post, but now youtube-dl is messing up since it uses ffmpeg to merge audio and video files. Also, I'm not sure if it's just the resolution on my new laptop or if it is from removing sdl2, but the scaling on the UI elements in the game is terrible. They're very small and also low res (more than they should be from just being small as far as I can tell).

Last edited:
OK, I think I may have some important information for the Terraria devs here.

Terraria comes with SDL2's dylib binary packaged inside the application itself. The pertinent file here is .../Terraria.app/Contents/MacOS/osx/libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib. This issue seems to be caused only when the system also has a version of SDL2 installed at /usr/local/lib/libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib.

I can confirm that the path /usr/local/lib/libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib is the source of the problem by simply trying to start Terraria with and without that file present on my machine. Assuming that the system's SDL2 is installed through homebrew, the file at /usr/local/lib/libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib is actually going to be a symbolic link to the real file which is housed under a subdirectory of /usr/local/Cellar/. That link can be removed by using either rm /usr/local/lib/libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib or by using brew unlink sdl2. The latter does the exact same thing as the former, with the added bonus of being reversible using brew link sdl2. The point here is that Terraria cannot start with that link present, but it can do so with the link removed.

I would guess that something in Terraria's source code is set to prefer loading SDL2 from the system folder if present, and this causes the crash due to the game being compiled using an older/different version of SDL2.

Also, I would recommend against forcefully uninstalling SDL2 using brew. As others have mentioned doing so can cause issues with other utilities on your computer. A much cleaner short-term fix is to run brew unlink sdl2.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, and especially people who presumably updated to MacOS Ventura, or were unssucessfull with the fixes proposed in this thread.
I created my own, because i thought my problem was different. Well, it kinda wasn't, but the sdl2 lib wasn't clearly the only thing that interfered with my terraria installation.

Try the workaround if u feelin lucky:

Back
Top Bottom