PC Terraria is too hard

Does Terraria need an easy mode?

• Total voters
I'm giving my opinion based on beliefs that casuals will constantly need easier and easier gameplay once they have been attracted to the game.
I do understand how you feel about this, as I think about it often. I consider myself a casual player, but that's probably because I am most comfortable with normal mode as the difficulty is just right. So far I have only played expert with friends because they wanted to. Now, I will play expert on my own one of these days, because I know I can do it. I just prefer to slowly cruise through a game without any major issues (darn you Expert Plantera and Moon Lord for being ridiculously stupid); that's just how I play. I know that I am fully capable of completing expert mode, but most of the time I just don't try. When I have to kick into high gear so often, it stresses me out, which is not fun for me. Like that one time my friend suicided into the Expert Queen Bee and I had to go into Rambo mode. Was frustrating.

On topic, I feel personally that this game doesn't need an easy mode, as literally anything can be overcome if you think and prepare carefully. This game rewards good planning and effort. But if there was an easy mode, I would not complain. I know of people who found the game just too difficult and ask for items or spawn them in themselves. I feel like this ruins the game for them. So if easy mode was available, I would expect the number of players with that problem to decrease since the game is more accessible. And as for Creative Mode, sure. Some people love to build, just like in Minecraft. I wouldn't complain either. As long as they don't make normal mode easier/harder than it is.

Video games are possibly the only form of media that will actively prohibit the end user from viewing all of the content available if you don't meet the standards set by the developers.

While more pronounced in video games, it isn't entirely true that it is limited to just that medium.

It is difficult to jump into the middle of later seasons of tv shows that focus primarily on season and series arcs without first consuming the earlier seasons/episodes, limiting the practical availability of later material to those that have the ability, time, and interest to first consume the earlier material. Would you demand that the show runners produce an additional run of the show that lessens the need to consume earlier material so that it is easier to reach the later material?

Or look at books that have a higher level of language that requires either a larger vocabulary or extra work googling words and concepts you don't understand to make your way to the end of the book. Would you ask a writer to produce another version of the book with smaller, more easily digestible language for those that find it difficult to read all the way through?

My point is, all forms of media have some limiting factors that will stop various people from reaching the end of the material, not just video games. If there is a major difference, though, it is that video games are the only medium where consumers regularly expect the producers to modify the product for those that don't want to put in the effort necessary to reach the end.

It isn't about telling players to "git gud", it is about putting in the time and effort to figure out how to overcome the obstacles in your way. That is, if any thing, one of the core reasons to play games that aren't simply interactive stories. As I stated above, I'm not good at combat, in this game or really any other, but the wonder of being a sandbox game is that lack of skill in one area can be overcome by planing, preparation, and a little bit of work in other areas.

Actually, yes, there is no need for an easy mode, and I AM a skilled gamer. I just was in rage about how hard it was to farm moon lord. But I can kill him now. (Voretex armor, S.D.M.G, typical moon lord arena).

The closest thing you will get to an easy mode is if we do creative mode. :)

GOOD IDEA. This would probably help builders a LOT.

Just putting this out, if there is any boss in normal mode that requires building something to be killed, it is too hard. If i need that kind of challenge i'd play expert mode. Assuming also with gear that is only obtainable before that boss. (No hallowed/chloro+ items on Twins or Destroyer) Is moonlord really doable like that, with no railtracks, no honeypools, no other cheap tricks? Just plain fair 1 on 1 fight.

Just putting this out, if there is any boss in normal mode that requires building something to be killed, it is too hard. If i need that kind of challenge i'd play expert mode. Assuming also with gear that is only obtainable before that boss. (No hallowed/chloro+ items on Twins or Destroyer) Is moonlord really doable like that, with no railtracks, no honeypools, no other cheap tricks? Just plain fair 1 on 1 fight.

Its my assessment that there are no Normal mode bosses that require building an arena. That said, there is trivial effort or difficulty involved in putting down a Heart Lantern and Campfire under nearly any circumstances.

Meanwhile, there may be players who are incapable of beating particular bosses without an arena. But some players being unable to beat a difficult boss is a not a sign of an issue with the game. Many games have very difficult boss fights.

And yeah, Moon Lord, on Normal difficulty, is definitely beatable without cheesy gimmicks. Mind you, I wouldn't call a honeypool a "cheap trick". Its a trivial benefit to healing speed . . . it will not have a significant impact on the total difficulty of the battle.

Its my assessment that there are no Normal mode bosses that require building an arena. That said, there is trivial effort or difficulty involved in putting down a Heart Lantern and Campfire under nearly any circumstances.

Meanwhile, there may be players who are incapable of beating particular bosses without an arena. But some players being unable to beat a difficult boss is a not a sign of an issue with the game. Many games have very difficult boss fights.

And yeah, Moon Lord, on Normal difficulty, is definitely beatable without cheesy gimmicks. Mind you, I wouldn't call a honeypool a "cheap trick". Its a trivial benefit to healing speed . . . it will not have a significant impact on the total difficulty of the battle.
The rule in Terraria(I think): Don't be impatient, prepare well. If you did everything proper then it will be some easy slaying.

The rule in Terraria(I think): Don't be impatient, prepare well. If you did everything proper then it will be some easy slaying.

Uh, guys, it is POSSIBLE to beat moon lord or WoF with no arena regardless of whether it's expert or normal. Although it would take an advanced computer mind to do it! I've solo'ed moon lord expert mode using heart statues, dyrad, nurse, almost every existing potion, minecart rails, teleportation, honey pools, op accessories, etc. Without at least half these things, you would most likely die. Although, that doesn't mean that moon lord and other bosses are TOO HARD. Take your time to perfect your boss slaughtering experience.

I really don't see how you can have a difficult time with Terraria. While it's amazing and fun and I love it, it's incredibly easy. Care to explain how this game is difficult? Even though he is not the best, the Guide gives you pretty much all information you need.
And even the average Joe knows of the existence of the wiki and guide. Very few do not.

Uh, guys, it is POSSIBLE to beat moon lord or WoF with no arena regardless of whether it's expert or normal. Although it would take an advanced computer mind to do it! I've solo'ed moon lord expert mode using heart statues, dyrad, nurse, almost every existing potion, minecart rails, teleportation, honey pools, op accessories, etc. Without at least half these things, you would most likely die. Although, that doesn't mean that moon lord and other bosses are TOO HARD. Take your time to perfect your boss slaughtering experience.
In Expert, you must use potions and may be an arena, but in Normal, these are completely unnecessary. Moon Lord, yes, he is so hard, needs potions, but just Moon Lord. Not every boss in Normal.
[doublepost=1458197633,1458197418][/doublepost]
I really don't see how you can have a difficult time with Terraria. While it's amazing and fun and I love it, it's incredibly easy. Care to explain how this game is difficult? Even though he is not the best, the Guide gives you pretty much all information you need.
And even the average Joe knows of the existence of the wiki and guide. Very few do not.
Hmmm, difficult times in Terraria... If you playing Normal Mode with a Softcore char then you won't have much difficult time. But, if you have Medium/Hardcore char, and/or playing Expert, you can notice how it can be a real stres test. So, you can have lots of diffucult times in Terraria if you doing something "true" :)

In Expert, you must use potions and may be an arena, but in Normal, these are completely unnecessary. Moon Lord, yes, he is so hard, needs potions, but just Moon Lord. Not every boss in Normal.
[doublepost=1458197633,1458197418][/doublepost]
Hmmm, difficult times in Terraria... If you playing Normal Mode with a Softcore char then you won't have much difficult time. But, if you have Medium/Hardcore char, and/or playing Expert, you can notice how it can be a real stres test. So, you can have lots of diffucult times in Terraria if you doing something "true" :)
The whole point of playing Expert mode with a Medium Hardcore character is for it to be hard -_-

If you have Medium/Hardcore char, and/or playing Expert, you can notice how it can be a real stres(s) test.
Uh-huh.
The whole point of playing Expert mode with a Medium Hardcore character is for it to be hard -_-
No offense, but that is quite obvious.
In fact, the past 9 comments (including mine) is quite obvious. This kind of posting would belong in a group conversation.

Last edited:
I consistently beat the moonlord with nothing but a ufo mount, some pots, and a rod of discord. Mind you this is on normal mode but it's very much doable. Expert can also kinda be done this way too but setting up a little house for the nurse that you can rush in and out of to heal without her wandering off helps a lot though.

I think it'd be okay to make the game easier on a console, as the controls seem like they'd prevent you from aiming or switching items as precisely as you could with a mouse and keyboard, but certainly not to the level you're suggesting, and certainly not on the PC version.

As a person who grinds for hours to get the best gear and equipment, I would certainly like the actual experience to reflect my hard work. Full Titanium Armor, arena with life and mana regen, Hel-Fire with YoYo bag, Rod of Discord for dodging, wings, good health potions, a Sky Fracture, and even the lame-:red: Destroyer is owning the :red: out of me.

This is one reason why I bloody love the Thorium Mod. The difficulty curve becomes much smoother in that mod, with weapons actually able to hold up to the bosses you're fighting. Meanwhile in vanilla, you'll get the weapons you needed to beat that boss BY BEATING THE BOSS. So instead of a fun boss fight, you have to build a heavily specialized arena that takes advantage of the boss's weaknesses, and therefore takes all the fun out of the fight.

Also don't talk to me about potions, I might like grinding but I won't spend a solid two hours in-game getting all the potions I'd need to have the smallest chance of beating a mech boss, it's an insult to make potions so necessary but so ungodly difficult to acquire.

I guess ultimately I'm saying get mods, they make the game enjoyable. Or just be a masochist, whatever. I've beaten the game before, took me over 100 hours before I killed the Golem. With mods I can be past Moon Lord in 20 hours total gameplay and still be enjoying all kinds of modded content.
[doublepost=1490499519,1490499251][/doublepost]
It needs an easy mode. Period. It should include:

• Moon Lord is 3 times as easy
  • The other bosses are 2 times as easy
  • monster spawning can be toggled
  • not as good loot
  • no Solar/Vortex/Nebula/Stardust armor

Although Moon Lord should still drop weapons. Also the treasure bags should be dropped on all modes.

I think an easy mode is something Terraria's always needed. Or at least for normal mode to not rape you inside out if you haven't spent 10 hours grinding for the best gear, only to have it instantly outmoded once you beat the next tier boss. Honestly it'd be nice if there were just more choices in how you progress, not having to go in a specific boss order.

Also don't talk to me about potions, I might like grinding but I won't spend a solid two hours in-game getting all the potions I'd need to have the smallest chance of beating a mech boss, it's an insult to make potions so necessary but so ungodly difficult to acquire.

Ironskin and Regeneration potions have easily obtainable materials that you obtain by just roaming around, and you have a nearly endless supply of fish and pumpkins for the Well Fed buff. Anything past the core three buffs on normal mode is arguably overkill, but exists there for players who don't want to mod their game to have more of an edge.

If you enjoy a game mod's content, then that's fine and I'll respect your opinion, but I'd hardly go as far as say they're needed to make the game playable.

I will agree that some potions are a little on the tedious side to farm for, especially in multiplayer, but those are usually the more powerful ones such as Lifeforce.

Admittedly I wanted to rage a little bit because I've noticed an aggravating pattern that no matter how long I play this game, my improved skills don't help me beat bosses to any significant degree because they're simply not made to be out-skilled. The Destroyer has so many turrets you'll be breathing lasers instead of oxygen for the duration of the fight, the randomness of the Twins' firing patterns make dodging just as likely to succeed as fail, no matter if you're a good dodger, and I could go on but I don't feel like it. Overall the game does give a heavy sense of preparedness over skill, and to those who disagree I challenge you to backtrack 2 tiers in armor and weapons, THEN beat the boss without any advanced arenas, minecarts, or anything you can't wear on your character. If the game were about skill, a very skilled player would have no problem, but once you're past the King Slime/Eye of Cthulhu, maneuvering has no point beyond trying to outrun bullets, because bosses are always much, MUCH faster and more maneuverable than you. I think the best example is how most bosses render the concept of taking cover completely pointless. Though later bosses are better about this, adding more interest to the fight, most of the original lineup can cheap-shot you through walls with little effort (probably overcompensating for players being able to hide in a hole and cheese a boss).

But that's just my opinion, and mods can totally fix a lot of these problems. There are almost certainly easy-mode mods out there right now, and if not I'm sure you could convince a modder to help you by making one (it'd probably take about 10 minutes to write a mod that automatically halves damage taken by the player, and BAM easy mode.) Terraria has always been somewhat of an exclusive club in the single player arena, and less dedicated players don't get to have as much fun. But if you can figure out how to install tModLoader, you've got vastly more control over your experience.

Absolutely disagree. Remember when we had good games? Yeah we don't have those anymore since the 90s when people got lazy.

Eh, I beg to differ on this.

Some people want and can handle ridiculous difficulty. Others cannot.

The BEST games offer customizable difficulty. Terraria has that to some extent (Normal/Expert), but I will agree that even Normal Moon Lord can be difficult for some players to do without cheesing like teleporting to the Nurse constantly.

I say this, as a player who has gotten to where I can kill ML rather reliably without using terrain or the Nurse, but yet I find the fight is drawn out and errors are too costly, and margin for error is rather low (one single deathray can outright kill you straight up if you get hit three times with it, even with tanky armor, and sometimes you have something stupid happen like running into terrain while trying to dodge stuff like that).

I was never a fan of bosses that allow zero room for mistakes, or have insta-death situations if but the slightest thing goes wrong. Doubly so if it happens to be RNG (such as a boss that does status effects and picks the exact wrong moment to lock a healer down for example).

Anyhow, I do not think the entire game needs to be made easier. Terraria already is easy clear up until the Moon Lord. Everything except the Moon Lord.. well ok, Duke Fishron too, can be cheesed in some way, and even ML himself can be cheesed if you want to do that.

I think merely tweaking ML to make him a little more accessible, and a bit less grindy would be nice too. No, I don't want to kill him some 50 times to make all of my stuff, thanks.

And uh, @Argonwolf : No offense, but.... mechs? I'm just gonna leave this here (skip to about 2:10 because I suck at video editing and OBS was NOT behaving that day):

I am NOT a Pro Player. I'm not even Expert material. I don't even play Expert. The above video is NORMAL, and I am using absolutely nothing that is beyond the Mech Tier. I'm not using Moon Lord equipment or anything cheesy like that, I'm not cheesing the environment, in fact, in the video I FORGOT TO DRINK BUFF POTIONS during the first 75% of the fight, lol.

No buffs.

No weapons, armor, or accessories that cannot be gotten normally before that point. The only "hard" thing I did was get a Daedalus Stormbow. And that's not that hard to do, if you use a Yo-Yo and find a bunch of terrain to keep weaving around while you fight the mimic.

EDIT: Will also point out that the end of the fight (the Achievement popup) proves this is the first time I won the fight and indeed the first time I even attempted it. I was winging it, playing it by ear, whatever phrase you wish to use to describe it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom