PC Terraria is too hard

Does Terraria need an easy mode?

• Total voters
There are a couple of things that can be tried. They don't make the enemies any less of a truck, but it might be more manageable.
  • Use Vampire Knives / Spectre Armour
  • Use summons - every character has access to at least two summons. You can hide or evade and let summons deal with enemies.
  • A house makes the Solar Pillar a joke. Crawltipedes won't target you on the ground, Corites (which can travel through blocks) won't attack without line of sight and other enemies can't fit through the door. (Except maybe the Drakomire; I can't remember. But even so, that's only one type of enemy you have to worry about instead of six.)
  • A house or cave is also effective for the Vortex Pillar. No enemies or projectiles can pass through blocks, so it will help a player avoid being overwhelmed. Just make sure there's only one point of entry.
  • A house or cave can also be effective for the Stardust Pillar. Most Stardust enemies can travel through blocks, but it'll keep away those enemies that launch explosives / kamikaze.
  • Weapons that pass through blocks (or that which you can aim) makes things even better
Admittedly, the house/cave requires some luck as to where the pillars spawn and the local geography. No real strategy for the Nebula Pillar though. All attacks can pass through blocks, so you basically have to fly in erratic patterns to dodge lasers.

At first, targeting the Solar Pillar (for the Solar Eruption) or Stardust Pillar (for the Stardust Cell/Dragon) will make the remaining pillars much more manageable.

Wow! Thanks for the info.. I had no clue about the house method. Im going to go try that out now :happy:

I don't see why not, I also don't understand why so many people are against it, you aren't forced to use easy mode, did you know that? they could implement a super duper extreme easy mode and it wouldn't affect you in the slightest simple as that.

you could say ''but they can then go into normal/expert mode world with easy mode gained weapons'' and so what? you can also just use the terraria editor to give you every single weapon with best affix in the game 1 minute into the game, doesn't stop them from joining other worlds in multiplayer.

if this means 1. more people can enjoy the game and 2. doesn't affect you in any way, then why not do it?

Should enemies die if they have contact with player?
more people can enjoy the game
Don't think that would be fun to play in long term if you get gifted all stuff.

Normal mode already easy to play if you discovered some things. There might be more hints or a tutorial.
Exception might be a world where you are forced to play with gamepad or a world only for building some stuff.

Should enemies die if they have contact with player?

Don't think that would be fun to play in long term if you get gifted all stuff.

Normal mode already easy to play if you discovered some things. There might be more hints or a tutorial.
Exception might be a world where you are forced to play with gamepad or a world only for building some stuff.

Well, if there were an optional "easy" mode, nobody would be forcing you to play it, though, so whether or not you (or even I) would enjoy Easy mode is irrelevant.

What is not irrelevant, however, is the time/effort/work that Re-Logic would have to spend to add such a thing.

I'm not supporting an Easy mode here, so please don't get me wrong... I am merely correcting a false logic I see often when things like Easy (or even Hard) modes are suggested, when people will say "But I wouldn't find that fun!" ... well if it were optional, then that argument is entirely irrelevant because nobody would force you to use said mode.

Well, if there were an optional "easy" mode, nobody would be forcing you to play it, though, so whether or not you (or even I) would enjoy Easy mode is irrelevant.

What is not irrelevant, however, is the time/effort/work that Re-Logic would have to spend to add such a thing.

I'm not supporting an Easy mode here, so please don't get me wrong... I am merely correcting a false logic I see often when things like Easy (or even Hard) modes are suggested, when people will say "But I wouldn't find that fun!" ... well if it were optional, then that argument is entirely irrelevant because nobody would force you to use said mode.
Pretty much this. I'm a little derisive of the idea of Easy Mode (Expert Mode is hard, but Normal mode - even playing as a beginner, the only way you're going to struggle with something for more than a few attempts is because you're not preparing yourself or you're not adapting to a boss's attack patterns or an area's threats), but its presence wouldn't affect me and I don't have to utilize it. It arguably could be useful for building worlds, where the player doesn't want any interruptions as they work. I just think Re-Logic's development time would be better spent elsewhere than on an entire game mode that there isn't that much demand for.

That's true but that was not my point I tried to made.
It's like if children get socks to Christmas they can't live without it but the don't get happy wearing them.
If you get all for free it won't satisfy. The game gets boring and the people will stop playing it.
So e.g. for people who did an expert playthrough the chance is high they won't play normal again because it's boring for them.

Easy mode might be useful for people who are new to the game. But if its too easy they get bored as well and stop playing. So not worth implementing, instead some tutorial or more hints would be more useful.

It's like if children get socks to Christmas they can't live without it but the don't get happy wearing them.
If you get all for free it won't satisfy. The game gets boring and the people will stop playing it.
So e.g. for people who did an expert playthrough the chance is high they won't play normal again because it's boring for them.

Easy mode might be useful for people who are new to the game. But if its too easy they get bored as well and stop playing. So not worth implementing, instead some tutorial or more hints would be more useful.
it still wouldn't be for ''free'' easy mode isn't ''here have everything in the game'' you still have to beat the bosses, mine for ore and all the other stuff, it's just easier, what is incredibly easy for us might be incredibly difficult for others, so to them a easy mode is difficult while to us a easy mode doesn't even pose a hint of a challenge, and that's fine because we wouldn't have to play it

But yet on the flipside, if you have someone who is really, really struggling with the game for whatever reason... such as disabilities or a bad PC... they're going to quit anyways, if they can't get anywhere in the game.

You can't force people to "git gud" (I really hate using that term); some people will force themselves to get better... or they'll just quit anyways.

But then again, IIRC, there's a creative mode that will eventually be coming to Terraria, so ... if we get a creative mode, then the whole idea of "Easy Mode" would be entirely moot because they can just use Creative Mode to give themselves a leg up however much they desire.

I, for one, will most likely temporarily use it to get around the game's terrible RNG (especially with the Fishing Quests). I don't see doing 150+ quests for (insert important/useful item here) fun.

I like the difficulty as it is, when I find a boss or event challenging and die I try to adapt my gear and strategies so I can beat said boss/event.

However, I could see how young children who own the game could benefit from an easy mode. When I was a kid I sucked at games and would give up easily if something was too hard. I find it sad how someone could buy the game at full price for their kids, who might quit the game before hardmode because they're too unskilled to defeat even the EoC, EoW/BoC or Skeletron.

Last edited:
I like the difficulty as it is, when I find a boss or event challenging and die I try to adapt my gear and strategies so I can beat said boss/event.

However, I could see how young children who own the game could benefit from an easy mode. When I was a kid I sucked at games and would give up easily if something was too hard. I find it sad how someone could buy the game at full price for their kids, who might quit the game before hardmode because they're too unskilled to defeat even the EoC, EoW/BoC ore skeletron.

Well, the good news is, that creative mode should be coming. Pretty sure that's been confirmed. A player who is struggling for whatever reason can use CM to give themselves items, weapons, armor, and such that would make a boss battle easier. Now obviously there's limits as to what can be done, such as Moon Lord, but that's just how it is. I'm sure a mod maker could also do an Easy Mode if there were enough demand for such a thing.

Out of curiosity I did a normal playthrough of current patch. As expected it starts easy. But at some stages you convinced me it can be hard for some people. E.g first mechanical boss, Medusa, Lava, Traps, Pirates, Wyvern,..
The missing item slot can have a high impact.

Do you have an extra copy of terraria on steam? They said that its a wonderful game but i have never played it because in my country the game is so expensive. 9 dollars equivalent for 700 pesos you could buy 1 sack of rice in it. sorry for my bad english
I'm sorry but it's against the rules to ask for free stuff on this forum.

Terraria is a game which bases on exploring, upgrading your gear and having a certain strategy to survive in the wild or to fight certain bosses. If you find a boss too hard, you have to practice it and learn how it behaves, make a proper arena and get decent gear. The main part of the boss fights in this game are finding a strategy. If someone can't find one (or doesn't want to), they can't be suprised that they're losing to certain bosses as this is a game which forces you to learn the mechanics and understand how everything works.

I don't think this game needs an easy mode at all but I won't really care if it'd get added. At this point normal mode is really easy for me because I am used to expert mode and mods I play which are significally harder than vanilla expert (for example Calamity). I've been playing Calamity since a few months and this mod, especially late-game REALLY forces you to find out a good strategy, and that's how Terraria bosses work in general. Bosses aren't supposed to be beatable in the first attempt for everyone, some of them are meant to be challenging and you need to take several tries to beat them for the first time.

So yeah, I don't really mind a mode like this but for me it's useless. If you think the game is too hard, play a harder mod like Calamity. :)

If there is an easy mode, it better have subtracted items from the regular mode and expert mode...
Why? What could possibly be removed from Normal mode's item pool without making it patronizing?

Take Demonite and Crimtane for example. Farming them without Treasure Bags is already tedious enough in Normal, would you really want to punish somebody that's not as good at the game by telling them they need to farm a boss longer just to make some armor or a pickaxe? Or maybe you think they don't deserve the right to play with items like Last Prism just because their game was "too easy" for your standards, even if they could have struggled with Moon Lord on the theoretical Easy mode anyway?

Somebody playing on a theoretical Easy mode is not going to be affecting your Terraria experience, I'm not sure why you'd want to police them so badly.

thanks, I do not need easy-mode (no not PreHardMode) because if you want Treasure Bags, then you will see how op are these stuff, maybe even the Lunar Armour is lost from Easy Mode

thanks, I do not need easy-mode (no not PreHardMode) because if you want Treasure Bags, then you will see how op are these stuff, maybe even the Lunar Armour is lost from Easy Mode

That makes no sense whatsoever.

You're saying that if we implemented an "Easy Mode", then we should remove some of the better rewards (like Lunar Armor) ...... so that the bosses are harder to kill because you're using weaker armor?

How does that even make sense?

The whole POINT of Easy Mode would be for people with disabilities, younger people, and people of lesser skill, so that they can enjoy the game, but you want to make the game HARDER for them, just because you don't think they "deserve" the same loot as Normal mode? Wut?

And it isn't like one can't just simply download Builder's Workshop and get what they want anyways, unless you're on console.

As others have pointed out in this thread, and even I mentioned at least once, what other people do in THEIR single-player game does not affect YOUR single-player game in any way, shape, form, or manner. If I load up Builder's Workshop to give myself, say, the fishing items... does that affect your ability to do the Angler's quests and get yours legitimately? Of course not. You're still free to do that.

As far as multiplayer, don't play on Easy Mode servers, just like how Normal Mode people like myself avoid Expert Mode. If I were to go Multiplayer and seek a server, I wouldn't touch an Expert server.

Back
Top Bottom