Racha_

Plantera
It needs an easy mode. Period. It should include:

• Moon Lord is 3 times as easy
  • The other bosses are 2 times as easy
  • monster spawning can be toggled
  • not as good loot
  • no Solar/Vortex/Nebula/Stardust armor

Although Moon Lord should still drop weapons. Also the treasure bags should be dropped on all modes.

It's unlikely that this desire stems from a general problem with Terraria's difficulty, but rather specific elements such as certain bosses. I think it's a better idea to address those problems (if they do exist at all) individually rather than making the entire game easier.
Also the treasure bags should be dropped on all modes.

Treasure bags are there to make Expert Mode slightly more manageable. You don't need them in Normal Mode, and especially not in a theoretical Easy Mode.

Remember when we had good games? Yeah we don't have those anymore since the 90s
...Are you pretending to be an adult? Also, why on earth do you say "Adopt kids instead of pooping out new ones."
[DOUBLEPOST=1457305130,1457304966][/DOUBLEPOST]
Treasure bags are there to make Expert Mode slightly more manageable. You don't need them in Normal Mode, and especially not in a theoretical Easy Mode.
Ik, there just kinda cool.

It's unlikely that this desire stems from a general problem with Terraria's difficulty, but rather specific elements such as certain bosses. I think it's a better idea to address those problems (if they do exist at all) individually rather than making the entire game easier.

Good point.

...Are you pretending to be an adult? Also, why on earth do you say "Adopt kids instead of pooping out new ones."

Whether or not I pretend or actually am an adult is irrelevant. My point is that no, we do not need an easier terraria. It's already easy enough.

As for your second question, it is natural for you to ask me that question, from what I read from your response. It means. You should adopt homeless kids instead of just making new ones. You do want foster kids to have families, don't you?

PS don't double post.

Yes and we will continue to be off topic as long as you keep giving me off topic responses. I have to say I don't view age the way everyone else does. At one point I was created, and at another point my body will be broken down into food for plants and other organisms. The measurement of age is meaningless after you pass the arbitrary mile posts and depending on what you are willing to recognize: You will start a new life anyway. The weight "age" has on my argument is equally meaningless.

What we are attempting to discuss is a much more meaningful measurement: Skill.

You are alleging that terraria is too hard. But based on my experiences terraria is too easy unless it comes to expert mode where the game feels more potent. The question the audience needs to ask is, who is more important? The more skilled gamer or the casual?

What do you think about that?

The question the audience needs to ask is, who is more important? The more skilled gamer or the casual?
The answer is: Neither. There are people who enjoy it and people who do not enjoy it. The important people are those who enjoy it. :)

----

Back on topic: Nope, Terraria doesn't need to be made easier. Most cases of the game being too hard come down to a player not preparing properly for bosses. Aside from that, it's hard when you first start the game, and it's hard when you first enter hardmode. Eventually you get items and armour that let you blow away most enemies and the game stops being hard.

One small exception: Some kind of creative mode-like setup to let people build freely without risk of death.

If you're having difficulty, consider posting to the PC In-game Support section and asking for assistance. There are plenty of people who will help you if they can.

I don't think Terraria is too hard. Generally when people say it is too hard, they simply need to use better weapons/armor/accessories, more appropriate weapons/armor/accessories, or they are forgetting core strategies, such as using building mechanics to their benefit. For example, I mostly run around in mining armor with building accessories and, as a result, I die a good amount, but as soon as I throw on some actual combat oriented armor, hotbar a couple different types of weapons to switch between, and try to avoid attacks, then it gets a whole lot easier. Another example, from what I've seen, is that a lot of people forget that you can use building to your advantage, walling yourself in, putting up dirt barriers to section off and separate enemies, or changing terrain to control enemy flow. I'm not that good at combat, my reflexes aren't that fast and I don't pick up on mob patterns very quickly, but if you use the tools at your disposal, then the game isn't that hard at all.

While I do feel like the Endgame (The Lunar Events and the Moon Lord) has a fairly steep difficulty spike, the majority of the game is not that hard once you get the hang of it. Of course, that's not what you want to address, as evidenced by some of the points in your post. Yes, The Towers and the Moon Lord do feel kind of like there is a step of advancement missing between that stage and the gear you get from Post-Golem enemies and bosses (Enemies shouldn't be two-shotting you in near-endgame gear, although it's mostly because they gang up on you), but it can be overcome if you play smart. Minecarts are my favorite method of defeating Moon Lord in a way that can be made routine if you don't get too greedy with damage dealing. Plus, there is the Nurse healing method which makes Life Stealing a viable tactic again.

I will admit, though, that I have no real way of suggesting how to improve your experience with the Lunar Towers. Even with the best armor obtainable at that point, I still struggled with them, since the enemies (Especially the Solar Enemies) are fast and hit like trucks. I more or less threw myself at them and whittled down the Barrier until I could kill it. Getting the Fragment weapons as soon as you kill the tower is very helpful as they provide a good damage output as a range that can be invaluable when surviving.

I will admit, though, that I have no real way of suggesting how to improve your experience with the Lunar Towers. Even with the best armor obtainable at that point, I still struggled with them, since the enemies (Especially the Solar Enemies) are fast and hit like trucks.
There are a couple of things that can be tried. They don't make the enemies any less of a truck, but it might be more manageable.
  • Use Vampire Knives / Spectre Armour
  • Use summons - every character has access to at least two summons. You can hide or evade and let summons deal with enemies.
  • A house makes the Solar Pillar a joke. Crawltipedes won't target you on the ground, Corites (which can travel through blocks) won't attack without line of sight and other enemies can't fit through the door. (Except maybe the Drakomire; I can't remember. But even so, that's only one type of enemy you have to worry about instead of six.)
  • A house or cave is also effective for the Vortex Pillar. No enemies or projectiles can pass through blocks, so it will help a player avoid being overwhelmed. Just make sure there's only one point of entry.
  • A house or cave can also be effective for the Stardust Pillar. Most Stardust enemies can travel through blocks, but it'll keep away those enemies that launch explosives / kamikaze.
  • Weapons that pass through blocks (or that which you can aim) makes things even better
Admittedly, the house/cave requires some luck as to where the pillars spawn and the local geography. No real strategy for the Nebula Pillar though. All attacks can pass through blocks, so you basically have to fly in erratic patterns to dodge lasers.

At first, targeting the Solar Pillar (for the Solar Eruption) or Stardust Pillar (for the Stardust Cell/Dragon) will make the remaining pillars much more manageable.

There're very helpful and useful advices, I will use them in my Expert Mode run :) To add something on the table my advice is very simple: Prepare very hard and you will destroy everything like the Destroyer :) About preparing hard, these are my key strategies;
  1. There's always at least one way to be stronger than intended. Also about every stage on the game there're some items that overpowered for their tier.
  2. Accesories and prefixes make all the changes. Try to beat a boss with poor accesories and prefixes, then switch the good ones. You may be surprized. :)
  3. Buffs are very trustable tools. Use them and see how can they change things.
  4. Fishing always adds some spice! You can catch up a Reaver Shark on very early pre-hardmode and it will help you for a long time. Also, if you give some hours to catching crates in pre-hardmode it will be saved you from mining all those hardmode ores.
  5. Against Mechs, archers are very overpowered. Just try Daedalus Stormbow+Holy Arrows with Titanium ranger armour. They will be completely nuked.
  6. From post-Mech to pre-Lunar make sure you used every class and then have a reliable strategy.
  7. At lunar events and Moon Lord fight, I think summoner is the best. Just have the Tiki Armor, defensive accesories and all reforged to Armored or Warding. First finish the Stardust Pillar with your most preferably gear, then switch to summoner.
These are my tactics to make it easier. The game should be hard, else it would be too easy and kill all the fun. :) As Yri says; "Hard equals fun." :)

Creative mode confirmed

Anyways, I have made a suggestion regarding a similar problem (not advertising), I also agree that Terraria can be very challenging at certain times, and I do think there should be a Mode where players have to go through lesser of a difficulty in order to progress. The only way that it'd work for me is that there should be less rewards than usual, because if Expert is harder with more rewards, that means an easier kind should be less demanding and hands less bonuses (bonii?). This is my opinion though, and I do expect people to disagree.

Any type of Creative Mode is tolerable for me, even though it is very unoriginal. It'll be quite nice to experience such as free building and limitless experimentation, but it does have some cons to it as well.

EDIT: And again, this thread is another example of outrageous poll pushing.

Easy mode should be creative mode. Everything else is fine. I mean if you need an easy mode in terraria maybe you should play some more games before trying this one. We don't need another "mode" that will take 4 months to test. after creative mode.

With the right setup, any boss can be beaten while being afk, you can beat a dungeon guardian on expert mode with 1 click of your mouse with the right thing set up (which is probably a ton of teleporters and dart traps)
EVERYTHING in this game is extremely easy if you prepare for it. The more you prepare the easier it gets.

I assume a lot of people like instant gratification and don't want to spend a long time on games anymore. Of course I also assume that said people will complain that they have nothing to do in the game.
Does it matter? If an easier difficulty is added, the game becomes more accessible to a larger audience. I personally enjoy testing my own skill limits and progressing into more absurd and difficult challenges, but some people just want to build.

There were two recent threads about a user having a difficult time progressing in the game, and the later events were simply just not fun for them. At one point Martians were spawned and they claimed that their world was ruined because powerful enemies would never stop spawning, until they eventually managed to build a structure through to get traps to kill the saucers enough times. You can "git gud" at users like this all you want, but the fact of the matter is a lower difficulty level wouldn't "harm" normal mode, and it wouldn't harm Expert mode. It would simply exist to help people play it and maybe dip their toes in the water before maybe trying to progress on a higher difficulty.

Video games are possibly the only form of media that will actively prohibit the end user from viewing all of the content available if you don't meet the standards set by the developers. It probably wouldn't be an issue if there were some building materials you could only get from later events, but all of those issues would be solved with a creative mode. Considering there are publicly available resources that allow you to just freely spawn any building block or item you want, a built-in creative mode would be a nice addition.

It should be a character difficulty setting instead of a world difficulty setting, though. TShock servers already have a server-side character function so it wouldn't make things any more of a mess than they already are. Besides, if one of your friends joins your normal server with a creative mode character and starts doing things you don't want them to do, you can just not invite them to play Terraria with you anymore.

I'm giving my opinion based on beliefs that casuals will constantly need easier and easier gameplay once they have been attracted to the game.. and at this rate the game is going to go all don't starve custom game switchboard on us. At least I will have more power behind my blatant "get rid of the trading post" agenda.

Back
Top Bottom