PC Terraria lag-stuttering randomly in-game, without fps drops

Crickey

Terrarian
Hi,

Ever since i installed terraria in this computer i started experiencing some kind of weird kind of lag-stutter that doesn't cause fps drops. What's even more strange is that this occurs randomly and sometimes fixes itself by pressing the windows key or alt + tabing and getting back into the game. Doing this sometines fixes the issue but it eventually comes back.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
RAM: 16GB
GPU: GTX 1660 Super

Everything i've tried so far + some things to take into consideration:

- I run the game on fullscreen
- Game is installed on my SSD
- Tried enabling Frame Skip ON / Subtle (which in fact, turning these ON makes the game run worse and stuttery for me. I run the game with Frame Skip OFF)
- GPU and CPU drivers updated
- Reinstalled the game
- Deleted Steam cache and verified game files integrity
- Set Terraria priority above normal while disabling different cores through affinity (CPU 0, CPU 1, etc)
- Disabled, enabled and tried with different types of v-sync parameters through nvidia control panel, as well as capping framerate to 60
- Disabled windows game mode
- Deleted the config.json file
- This PC is literally brand new and had it running since May from this year
- I have my monitor running at 120hz
- Apparently, this stutter thing only happens with vanilla terraria. I tried porting a player and world of mine to TModLoader and played for a while out of curiosity and I was surprised the issue doesn't happen there at all. In fact, i don't think if it's a placebo thing but the game seems to runs smoother on TModLoader than vanilla terraria.

I uploaded a video of this issue to youtube so you guys can check it out. What can be seen in the video is me flying up and down. When i go up the game looks fluid and normal, but as i descend into the ground the stutter kicks in. As i previously said, this stutter thing sometimes goes away by itself, but i don't think standing there waiting for it to go away addresses the issue.
That time I also forgot to F10 in-game so my fps are visible, but I can 100% assure my fps never drop from 120.

This is the only game i have issues with, which is clearly not normal as I can run other "heavy" games like Rainbow Six Siege or Warzone with no problems whatsoever.
I hope someone can help me with this issue because honestly at this rate it will make me quit terraria `:sigh:. Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom