Terraria lagging despite good pc

Discussion in 'PC Technical Support' started by smelybasher, Mar 12, 2019.

1. smelybasher

smelybasher Terrarian

Sometimes, my framerate increases to over 130. Then, it drops to 2 or 3. Eventually, it is at about 15-20. It is very annoying for me and makes game unplayable. I know I have pc good enough because sometimes I get stable 60fps. What could be the issue?

2. InstaFiz

InstaFiz Slime Collector

Can you give us some more info on your PC, like the specs and model and whatnot?

3. Grumpy Squid

Grumpy Squid Plantera

In order to tailor downloads and guides to your specific machine we'll need some details as the above user mentioned.

To get this do the following:

• Press Windows+R.
    • Type "msinfo32" without the quotes and press enter.
    • Screenshot the window that comes up and upload it somewhere I can view it.
    • Press the "plus" button next to Components.
    • Click on "Display".
    • Screenshot this window as well and upload it somewhere I can view it.

If done correctly you should now have two screenshots that tell me everything I need to know about your system.

4. smelybasher

smelybasher Terrarian

Intel core I3 with Nvidia GeForce graphics card and 4 gigs of ram
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 13, 2019, Original Post Date: Mar 13, 2019 ---
    Medion Akoya E6214

5. Grumpy Squid

Grumpy Squid Plantera

How often does your games framerate drop? Does it drop in the same play session? Once it drops does it ever go back up?

Could you copy and paste the contents of your config.json file located in \Documents\My Games\Terraria

6. smelybasher

smelybasher Terrarian

Currently, the frame rate is at bout 15 fps
    I'm not at home now, gonna post the file later
    Yeah, it does

7. Grumpy Squid

Grumpy Squid Plantera

Just need some clarification, so you're playing the game, it's at 60 then all of the sudden it's at 15 and it eventually goes back to 60 before you ever close the game. Correct?

8. smelybasher

smelybasher Terrarian

Yeah

9. Grumpy Squid

Grumpy Squid Plantera

Could you describe to me what instances the frames drop? Is it consistently at certain boss attacks or some other scenario?

Once you have found conditions that consistently lag, see if turning down any of the settings or if disabling multicore lighting helps.

Could you perform the steps from my first post? There's some specifics about your machine I need that doing those steps will give me.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 5:51 PM