PC Terraria launches and instantly closes

Hi, I'm also having the same issue with the exact same error, I tried the above but still no luck. Also tried reinstalling XNA and .NET but it still doenst work, Re-logic pls help D:

Thank you for including all the possible information I could ask for.

We are going to slightly retrace a step you took. We're going to make sure that ALL 32 bits AND 64 bits are placed into their correct system folder for all the Non-Windows dependencies. We're doing this just to be safe, if we rule out it's none of these that means it's a Windows system file causing the issue. The in-place upgrade doesn't touch files that do not need to be touched, so it's very possible it didn't fix the system files that we needed fix.

Your options here if this doesn't work is to do a clean reinstall of the OS or boot off of another OS and manually replace the files yourself. If you consider yourself an advanced user I recommend the second option. If you are not so sure then do the first option.

Remember your 64 bit DLL's go in System32 and your 32 bit DLL's go in SysWow64.

32 Bit D3D8THK.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit D3D8THK.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

32 Bit D3D9.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit D3D9.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

32 Bit D3DX9_41.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit D3DX9_41.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

32 Bit MSVCR100.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit MSVCR100.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

32 Bit MSVCRT.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit MSVCRT.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

Download link to DLL Package.
DUDE. Whatever I made, only like 20% of these files were allowed to change in System32 and SysWOW64, Terraria actually worked now! I was hyper excited when I saw the black screen. But for some reason, I can't hear Terraria anymore. Maybe it's related to something about deleting X3DAudio or whatever like that, I saw this in another solution that didn't help. But apparently, with the DirectX web installer thing, the files are back, so I don't know the reason

We are going to slightly retrace a step you took. We're going to make sure that ALL 32 bits AND 64 bits are placed into their correct system folder for all the Non-Windows dependencies. We're doing this just to be safe, if we rule out it's none of these that means it's a Windows system file causing the issue. The in-place upgrade doesn't touch files that do not need to be touched, so it's very possible it didn't fix the system files that we needed fix.

Your options here if this doesn't work is to do a clean reinstall of the OS or boot off of another OS and manually replace the files yourself. If you consider yourself an advanced user I recommend the second option. If you are not so sure then do the first option.

hi, this also worked for me but now I have another problem there is no sound

Hi, i've had terraria for a pretty long time now but today when i tried to open it it showed me the stop button on steam and without doing anything it turned back to play now i have tried to find other help sources i have tried verifying, i have tried reinstalling i also had this problem like a week ago aswell the only way i was able to fix it was by resetting my pc and i dont want to do that again.
but tmodloader works fine as well as the terraria server.exe file(pic below). when i checked event viewer i saw some pretty weird stuff(i am not very experienced with this sort of thing), each time i boot it up and it crashes or whatever i get 2 errors one with .net runtime and the other is and application error.
but first here are some screenshots in case you dont want to read what i'm about to send:
1634736064352.png

1634736219524.png

1634735637107.png

1634735653424.png

The application error says:
Faulting application name: Terraria.exe, version: 1.4.2.3, timestamp: 0x60a0dd19
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, timestamp: 0x00000000
exception code: 0xc0000005
fault offset: 0x0419f174
faulting process ID: 0xaf0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7c5b0bb4e83fb
Faulting application path: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Terraria\Terraria.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report ID: 48c87667-9acf-4720-b92f-5ba576ac68ed
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

and the .net runtime error:
Application: Terraria.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.SetWindowText(System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, System.String)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_WindowText(System.String)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.set_WindowText(System.String)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Text(System.String)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.set_Text(System.String)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameWindow.SetTitle(System.String)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameWindow.set_Title(System.String)
at ReLogic.OS.Windows.WindowService.SetUnicodeTitle(Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameWindow, System.String)
at Terraria.Main.SetTitle()
at Terraria.Main.Initialize()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean)
at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(System.String[], Boolean)
at Terraria.WindowsLaunch.Main(System.String[])

also i am not using any texture packs or anything like that.
i would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me since i really like this game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom