PC Terraria launches and instantly closes

Hello, I'm having a problem with Terraria on Windows 10, whenever I open it on steam is says "Playing" to then instantly go to "syncing" closing the game. I checked in event viewer and it says

(Application Error)
Faulting application name: Terraria.exe, version: 1.3.5.3, time stamp: 0x58ffb460
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17134.1, time stamp: 0x149ab0fd
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0010d722
Faulting process ID: 0x96c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4b0fd97e6421a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Terraria\Terraria.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report ID: cb29f3d7-0079-49b2-aab5-e4ec9467115b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
(.NET Runtime Error)
Application: Terraria.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.BadImageFormatException
at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(System.String[], Boolean)
at Terraria.WindowsLaunch.Main(System.String[])
(Windows Error Reporting)
Fault bucket 129429818745, type 5
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Terraria.exe
P2: 1.3.5.3
P3: 58ffb460
P4: Terraria
P5: 1.3.5.3
P6: 58ffb460
P7: 75
P8: 29
P9: System.BadImageFormatException
P10:

Attached files:
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERAEC9.tmp.dmp
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERB468.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERB766.tmp.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERB776.tmp.csv
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERB7F4.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Terraria.exe_13a974a4b893fe706983c9cbaeed3a7366ecf5d_3cd7392b_40d3be4a

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: cb29f3d7-0079-49b2-aab5-e4ec9467115b
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 4f6d6e40ed03ea3c0d4424f1e794ea87
Cab Guid: 0
While in the console it says this
unknown.png

I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling XNA, I tried repairing XNA, I tried replacing the "Missing" dll with a friend's one, I tried reinstalling .NET framework but it tells me that I already have a newer version installed, I went so far to do an in place upgrade for windows which should basically reinstall windows 10 without losing any data and I also used Dependency Walker to check if any of the dependencies is in the wrong folder, apparently it shows that all of them are 64bit meaning they should be the right ones (I checked Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll and Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.dll).
unknown.png
unknown.png

Last edited:
Thank you for including all the possible information I could ask for.

We are going to slightly retrace a step you took. We're going to make sure that ALL 32 bits AND 64 bits are placed into their correct system folder for all the Non-Windows dependencies. We're doing this just to be safe, if we rule out it's none of these that means it's a Windows system file causing the issue. The in-place upgrade doesn't touch files that do not need to be touched, so it's very possible it didn't fix the system files that we needed fix.

Your options here if this doesn't work is to do a clean reinstall of the OS or boot off of another OS and manually replace the files yourself. If you consider yourself an advanced user I recommend the second option. If you are not so sure then do the first option.

Remember your 64 bit DLL's go in System32 and your 32 bit DLL's go in SysWow64.

32 Bit D3D8THK.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit D3D8THK.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

32 Bit D3D9.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit D3D9.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

32 Bit D3DX9_41.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit D3DX9_41.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

32 Bit MSVCR100.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit MSVCR100.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

32 Bit MSVCRT.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit MSVCRT.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

Download link to DLL Package.

We are going to slightly retrace a step you took. We're going to make sure that ALL 32 bits AND 64 bits are placed into their correct system folder for all the Non-Windows dependencies. We're doing this just to be safe, if we rule out it's none of these that means it's a Windows system file causing the issue. The in-place upgrade doesn't touch files that do not need to be touched, so it's very possible it didn't fix the system files that we needed fix.

Your options here if this doesn't work is to do a clean reinstall of the OS or boot off of another OS and manually replace the files yourself. If you consider yourself an advanced user I recommend the second option. If you are not so sure then do the first option.

Omg it works! THANKS!!!

Hi, I have the same problem as well. I've tried launching the game with admin privileges, from the folder, reinstalling, checking for file integrity, everything.
I'm trying to replace the .dll but I'm having a couple of issues:

First, it wont let me replace the 32 bit msvcr100.dll. I have been able to replace every file except that one. windows tells me that I need permission, but they have been given already (had they not, I wouldn't have been able to replace the rest of the files).

Secondly, the 32 bit MSVCRT.dll folder is empty, it came empty with the download.

I hope you can help me out with this couple of issues. Thanks!

Could you launch TerrariaServer.exe for me and show me the message? Just want to make sure that the previous post is providing the right dlls for you.

Hi, I have the same problem as well. I've tried launching the game with admin privileges, from the folder, reinstalling, checking for file integrity, everything.
I'm trying to replace the .dll but I'm having a couple of issues:

First, it wont let me replace the 32 bit msvcr100.dll. I have been able to replace every file except that one. windows tells me that I need permission, but they have been given already (had they not, I wouldn't have been able to replace the rest of the files).

Secondly, the 32 bit MSVCRT.dll folder is empty, it came empty with the download.

I hope you can help me out with this couple of issues. Thanks!
It eventually broke again for me and I found another fix for it. It's a bit more complicated though... Basically, I checked if there were symlinks leading to more symlinks (basically shortcuts to shortucts) and that was in fact the case. Terraria wasn't able to find the required DLLs because of it, so to fix it I downloaded a USB bootable linux distro and got rid of all the symlinks and brought the file to the correct folder.

Thank you! This worked only about halfway, since the game itself still runs and then closes immediately. Inserting the -logerrors and -logfiles option gives me this error log:
Error Logging Enabled.
================
11/23/2020 12:19:38 PM: First-Chance Exception
Thread: 1 [Main Thread]
Culture: en-US
Exception: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameClock' from assembly 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=842cf8be1de50553'.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game..ctor()
at Terraria.Main..ctor()
================

================
11/23/2020 12:19:38 PM: Unhandled Exception
Thread: 1 [Main Thread]
Culture: en-US
Exception: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameClock' from assembly 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=842cf8be1de50553'.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game..ctor()
at Terraria.Main..ctor()
at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(String[] args, Boolean monoArgs)
at Terraria.WindowsLaunch.Main(String[] args)
================
EDIT: Since I'm an impatient man, I decided to copy and paste the error log to see if others have had the same problem as me before and apparently it did! For those who have the same problem as mine, here is the solution: Terraria wont start [Win 10]

Last edited:

Hey! I hope you're still online on forums. So, I have the same problem but something must be different. I tried replacing these dll's you shared, I tried replacing other missing dll's via process monitor (ISDone, unarc, mscorrc, MsMpLics dll's) and they didn't work. When I try to verify files via Steam, it says there's 1 folder missing and it makes a little bit of installing just to change nothing. I've tried to launch the game on another user, I've tried to rename the exe and open it via steam, as a non-steam game, I've tried to fix the .NET and reinstall XNA (I think the main problem are these two) and none of these work. There are still some "not found" dlc's and some other (deeper?) things on the process monitor. On the other games, those "deeper" things didnt be a problem after I fix the dll's. I'll try to fix every single dll's but I'm not believing they will work because these ones seem more complicated and probably need a more overall solution. Here are some ss's of Pro. Mon. and server start error. (It used to give me an missing dll error, I may be wrong but it was something with xna) So basically I tried every single solution I've found on net and none of them worked. I don't know how the first guy gave you those informations but if they are needed, I can learn how. If you've read these all, thank you!

Attachments

• resim_2020-12-15_193003.png
    resim_2020-12-15_193003.png
    305 KB · Views: 261
  • te.png
    te.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 267
  • resim_2020-12-15_193527.png
    resim_2020-12-15_193527.png
    322.8 KB · Views: 251
Hey! I hope you're still online on forums. So, I have the same problem but something must be different. I tried replacing these dll's you shared, I tried replacing other missing dll's via process monitor (ISDone, unarc, mscorrc, MsMpLics dll's) and they didn't work. When I try to verify files via Steam, it says there's 1 folder missing and it makes a little bit of installing just to change nothing. I've tried to launch the game on another user, I've tried to rename the exe and open it via steam, as a non-steam game, I've tried to fix the .NET and reinstall XNA (I think the main problem are these two) and none of these work. There are still some "not found" dlc's and some other (deeper?) things on the process monitor. On the other games, those "deeper" things didnt be a problem after I fix the dll's. I'll try to fix every single dll's but I'm not believing they will work because these ones seem more complicated and probably need a more overall solution. Here are some ss's of Pro. Mon. and server start error. (It used to give me an missing dll error, I may be wrong but it was something with xna) So basically I tried every single solution I've found on net and none of them worked. I don't know how the first guy gave you those informations but if they are needed, I can learn how. If you've read these all, thank you!
its so stupid a lot of plls terraria :red:s up lately mostly on startup i hope i can get some help as well i opend my own thred

i bought a new windows 10 computer 2 days ago but when i tried to launch terraria it said starting but then it closed i tried to solve this problem but i really couldnt find any solutions then i tried to do what you said on this message but i had no permission to change and delete these files so can you help me please ?

so here is the error to help you more

İşlenmeyen Özel Durum: System.BadImageFormatException: 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll' dosyasını veya bütünleştirilmiş kodunu ya da bağımlılıklarından birini yükleyemedi. geçerli bir Win32 uygulaması değil. (HRESULT özel durum döndürdü: 0x800700C1)
konum: Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(String[] args, Boolean monoArgs)
konum: Terraria.WindowsLaunch.Main(String[] args)

this is turkish but dont mind it its same with the others

this is the same message but english

1608754019813.png

Last edited:
i bought a new windows 10 computer 2 days ago but when i tried to launch terraria it said starting but then it closed i tried to solve this problem but i really couldnt find any solutions then i tried to do what you said on this message but i had no permission to change and delete these files so can you help me please ?

so here is the error to help you more

İşlenmeyen Özel Durum: System.BadImageFormatException: 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll' dosyasını veya bütünleştirilmiş kodunu ya da bağımlılıklarından birini yükleyemedi. geçerli bir Win32 uygulaması değil. (HRESULT özel durum döndürdü: 0x800700C1)
konum: Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(String[] args, Boolean monoArgs)
konum: Terraria.WindowsLaunch.Main(String[] args)

this is turkish but dont mind it its same with the others

this is the same message but english

View attachment 302735
I'm having the same issue. No one has helped solve this so far, it has been 3 months for me.

Hello, I'm having a problem with Terraria on Windows 10, whenever I open it on steam is says "Playing" to then instantly go to "syncing" closing the game. I checked in event viewer and it says

(Application Error)
Faulting application name: Terraria.exe, version: 1.3.5.3, time stamp: 0x58ffb460​
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17134.1, time stamp: 0x149ab0fd​
Exception code: 0xe0434352​
Fault offset: 0x0010d722​
Faulting process ID: 0x96c​
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4b0fd97e6421a​
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Terraria\Terraria.exe​
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll​
Report ID: cb29f3d7-0079-49b2-aab5-e4ec9467115b​
Faulting package full name:​
Faulting package-relative application ID:​
(.NET Runtime Error)
Application: Terraria.exe​
Framework Version: v4.0.30319​
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.​
Exception Info: System.BadImageFormatException​
at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(System.String[], Boolean)​
at Terraria.WindowsLaunch.Main(System.String[])​
(Windows Error Reporting)
Fault bucket 129429818745, type 5​
Event Name: CLR20r3​
Response: Not available​
Cab Id: 0​
Problem signature:​
P1: Terraria.exe​
P2: 1.3.5.3​
P3: 58ffb460​
P4: Terraria​
P5: 1.3.5.3​
P6: 58ffb460​
P7: 75​
P8: 29​
P9: System.BadImageFormatException​
P10:​
Attached files:​
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERAEC9.tmp.dmp​
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERB468.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml​
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERB766.tmp.xml​
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERB776.tmp.csv​
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERB7F4.tmp.txt​
These files may be available here:​
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Terraria.exe_13a974a4b893fe706983c9cbaeed3a7366ecf5d_3cd7392b_40d3be4a​
Analysis symbol:​
Rechecking for solution: 0​
Report Id: cb29f3d7-0079-49b2-aab5-e4ec9467115b​
Report Status: 268435456​
Hashed bucket: 4f6d6e40ed03ea3c0d4424f1e794ea87​
Cab Guid: 0​
While in the console it says this
unknown.png

I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling XNA, I tried repairing XNA, I tried replacing the "Missing" dll with a friend's one, I tried reinstalling .NET framework but it tells me that I already have a newer version installed, I went so far to do an in place upgrade for windows which should basically reinstall windows 10 without losing any data and I also used Dependency Walker to check if any of the dependencies is in the wrong folder, apparently it shows that all of them are 64bit meaning they should be the right ones (I checked Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll and Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.dll).
unknown.png
unknown.png
Help, the same thing happens to me, I start it and it closes a few seconds and I reinstalled drivers, XNA Framework, and all that, I have done everything, restart my PC, open Terraria as administrator, reinstall the game, verify the integrity of the files , although it says that 1 file could not be reinstalled, it always says that and nothing else happens, this error is new, it did not happen to me on my other PC

Help, the same thing happens to me, I start it and it closes a few seconds and I reinstalled drivers, XNA Framework, and all that, I have done everything, restart my PC, open Terraria as administrator, reinstall the game, verify the integrity of the files , although it says that 1 file could not be reinstalled, it always says that and nothing else happens, this error is new, it did not happen to me on my other PC
There is a lot of people who have this error Re-logic is gonna fix it

I wonder if the people that are having this error are using certain texture packs such as the big HD ones.

I need to always remove my HD texture pack before launching otherwise it will not launch, black screen for few seconds and dissapears with no error message.

I wonder if the people that are having this error are using certain texture packs such as the big HD ones.

I need to always remove my HD texture pack before launching otherwise it will not launch, black screen for few seconds and dissapears with no error message.
For me it is not. I don't have any texture packs, nor does the game even pop up to show me a black screen. It does nothing at all.

im also having the same issue, but it was not that terraria opened, then closed, it just didn't open in first place

Back
Top Bottom