Terraria literally crashes my computer

Baconfry

Terrarian
Lately my computer has been crashing randomly when playing Terraria. The screen freezes and my device starts overheating until a) I press the power button or b) I wait and the computer restarts on its own after giving me a message that says "your computer has encountered a problem and needs to reboot" or something like that.

This only happens when playing Terraria. So far, no other Steam games have caused this issue. This has been infrequent enough in the past to not be worth reporting, but it's steadily gotten worse and now I can't even play for a few minutes without causing my computer to crash.

Should I be suspecting autosave...?

idk but please this is literally depriving me of one of my few joys in this rotten life

Attempted solutions that didn't work:

-connecting to battery power
-disabling steam cloud
-disabling autosave

The game can still freeze if steam chat is open, but the cursor can be moved (the mac's native cursor, not the triangular in-game one. The game itself is still stuck, along with the rest of the entire operating system)

Ok. No error report is generated, the computer just restarts and restores all my windows except Steam. All progress since the last autosave is lost, obviously.

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 10.31.40 AM.png

Interestingly, when the computer is frozen, the display still dims temporarily when idle, and brightens again when i touch the trackpad. Maybe it's still conscious and just getting completely destroyed by Terraria?

I have the exact same specs as Baconfry. Before upgrading to Sierra and when I was on Yosemite I had absolutely no problems. It was working fine on Sierra until a few days ago and today I can't even play a minute without having to totally restart my computer. I have also tried putting my characters off the cloud and verifying the game files on steam.

Oh, one of the workers at Terraria just said the problem is on their end, because of the latest update, and will fix it in the next update.

Oh, one of the workers at Terraria just said the problem is on their end, because of the latest update, and will fix it in the next update.
Just to clarify: they have a potential fix available. They can not replicate this issue, so they can not reliably state whether or not the fix works. So this issue may be fixed with the next update, but no guarantees.

@IMainMudkip, we made some improvements which (we hope) will be the last of this specific Mac crash and several others, but since we didn't experience them internally, we couldn't verify. That said, initial reports seem good; at least a few people who were crashing before are not.

I hate to sound like a downer, but whatever solution you guys implemented in the 1.3.5 update, something in the 1.3.5.1 update seems to have reversed it. Terraria now freezes my computer immediately upon entering a world. I've replicated this three times. Oddly, it doesn't make my computer start overheating like it did in 1.3.4, but it's definitely worse than before; in 1.3.4 I had a matter of minutes before my OS crashed, whereas now I can't even enter a world without causing a total freeze.

@Baconfry, not a downer at all.

What's important to know, however, is what OS you are on? Still using the Mac? We made some adjustments to account for Windows 10 Creative Edition, but if that is negatively impacting Macs, then that is significant.

@Baconfry, not a downer at all.

What's important to know, however, is what OS you are on? Still using the Mac? We made some adjustments to account for Windows 10 Creative Edition, but if that is negatively impacting Macs, then that is significant.
Yes, this is still the Mac version, macOS Sierra, version 10.12.4.

It must be pretty challenging, trying to balance the issues between two or more operating systems. Guess I'll have to wait a little longer %:sigh:

Sorry Baconfry, I hate that its delaying the update for you, but I'll bring this to the team's attention right away.

Okay @Baconfry, what I'd like you to do is uninstall and reinstall Terraria (don't worry about saves/worlds, they are fine to leave as is).

Do you know where your config.json and input profiles.jsons are? If so, those also need to be deleted, so that the game can attempt a fresh launch.

Let me know if that results in anything different in 1.3.5.1, okay? If the issue persists, we'll take it to the next step. :)

Okay, deleted config and input profiles.json, reinstalled Terraria, launched. I was prompted with language selection, as expected, but upon entering a world I encountered the same issue as before.

Back
Top Bottom