Linux Terraria low fps and heavy stuttering on linux

Oberst

Terrarian
Hello!

Problem
Terraria used to run perfectly fine on Windows, but on Arch Linux it's painfully bad. Heavy stuttering and low fps, especially when light sources are nearby. Every other game works fine (tough microstutters are present).

System
Arch Linux
CPU: Ryzen 7 4800HS

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Mobile
GPU: AMD Integrated GPU

What might be causing this
I have a hybrid system with AMD iGPU and Nvidia dGPU. I run games with PRIME render offload. Unfortunately this problem presists in both integrated and hybrid mode.
I also use an external display instead of the laptop's internal screen, but the problem is the same on the internal one.

My settings
Frame Skip is OFF. Subtle and ON make the game unplayable. The frames just fall apart, very heavy stuttering.

Debugging
I tried to run Terraria through Proton compatibility layer, but then performance was even worse, and there was no music.
I also ran Terraria with MangoHUD enabled, as you can see fps - even if it's lower than it should be - is somewhat steady, but frame pacing is terrible. This results in a very choppy gameplay.
I also tried to change the Lighting to Retro, this way the fps was a bit higher, but the same stuttering was there.

Screenshot_20220913_232703.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom