PC Terraria micro stutter

I hadn't had that issue on way weaker configuration than OP's, for years, but then it started stuttering after finally updating windows 10 to 1909. Or maybe some other driver. It wasn't stuttering in December the previous year, but it is now, in May 2020. Maybe a common solution is known? I don't want to dive too deep into it and waste hours in search of the fix, if it is a known problem.

Good afternoon, I have very poor English, so Google translates.
I have a similar problem, micro hangs occur. Usually they begin after the wall of flesh, when, for example, you move quickly, or more than a certain number of units appear.
I am sure that this is not a hardware problem, because other games are more demanding.
So far, the only solution that I have found is to suddenly use CPU control and forcely distribute the process to all cores at once, because for some reason, terraria only loads one core to a greater extent.
Is there any kind of infographic about how the processor should be loaded during the game? Because when I turn on processing by all the cores at once, the processor load goes under almost 90% and the PC starts to get very hot.
Idk how the game will behave with the new patch, but I have a suspicion that here it is a matter of what individual problems of processor support (well, maybe it may be the truth in the optimization curve), because my friends do not have any freezes, and judging by According to them, the game really meets the requirements specified in the incentive.
I’m not sure, but as it seems to me without modding or official optimization upgrades you can’t do here

Last edited:
For some reason I am just now getting stuttering aswell. Played this game for a long time and just recently I have been getting microstutters that act like pausing the game for half a second. I have tried all 3 positions of frame skip and have updated windows and my drivers, still nothing seems to help. I have reinstalled and verified integrity of game files too many times to count. The issue persists.

For some reason I am just now getting stuttering aswell. Played this game for a long time and just recently I have been getting microstutters that act like pausing the game for half a second. I have tried all 3 positions of frame skip and have updated windows and my drivers, still nothing seems to help. I have reinstalled and verified integrity of game files too many times to count. The issue persists.
If it will not be difficult for you, can you test my theory? Look at the CPU load when you play, whether the kernel is fully loaded, if not, try to download the CPU control and try to set all the cores to the game.

Task manager with terraria running,. go to details tab, click terraria, put priority to above normal NEXT set AFFINITY and turn off core 1 0 and 2 for terraria = Profit!. Stuttering is all gone :D.

Anyone who's looking through this thread looking for the answer to this issue, I've found what the cause is!

I've had this issue with tmodloader 64bit for a long time so I decided to look into it. A message in the cmd of 64bit tmod keeps saying:
1606445106496.png

I researched what this was and it turned out that the game was trying to run using adaptive VSync, and your graphics card, whether you told it to or not, is trying to use some other form of VSync called "Adaptive Verical Sync".

The fix is going to your control panel, for me it's nvidia, finding your global settings (or application settings if you don't want to enable Adaptive Vertical Sync for every application), finding the vsync option, and changing the value to "Adaptive" rather than "On" or "Off".
1606445160774.png

1606445177847.png

1606445335291.png

1606445536257.png

1606445582611.png

Hope this helped anyone who's been having this problem

EDIT: Play in fullscreen with Frame Skip: OFF

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom