Mobile Terraria Mobile Bugs & Issues Status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just realized beforehand that I actually prepared for something like this to happend to me. I used a file explorer, found where terraria saves it's files and copied the current character and world save files into a folder. When I lost my world I cried a bit (not really) came crawling to these forms for help..... AAAnd realized I made backup files and copied my folders into terrarias save folders.
Are there any .bak files in the character and world save file folders? If it is anything like the PC version, they would have the same names as the functional files, but with a .bak tacked on the end.

Last edited:
Hello, just a few things. I cant quote everyone, on mobile so I stink at navigating and quoting.
Anyways
1. As far as I'm aware, you cannot fly with boot if if you have wings. Boots will it give you the speed, no airtime. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the logic, so feel free to correct my statement.
2. Yes, Chinese new year is this week, which is why there's the firecrackers?
3. Now, this is a bit of an experiment for me, but if you have android, I do believe you can manually create a backup. The game itself makes two folders, one in android/data/com.and.games505.terraria and one in android/obb/com.and.games505.terraria. Now, before you read on and try to use this as a method of backup, I should warn you it may not work if you use this if the game crashes, your world get corrupt, etc. Anyways, the folder you want to copy is the Android/data/com. So and so. The adnroid/data folder contains what I believe your game character info. If you copy that, save it into your external SD card in some folder, and you uninstall, theoretically, you should be able to uninstall, reinstall the game, paste the files from you external backup, and run the game with your world there. I've tried this once and it worked, another time, nothing happened. I think I messed up the copy... Anyways, if your worried that you are going to lose your data(I have had that happen before, online and local) this us a quick way to manually back up your character. Another thing, if you are android, and your game us backup on cloud. The game files are located on your Google accounts drive. So I use my DWang email, the terraria characters and world for my online backup is on my DWang google drive. Again, you should be able to transfer those files and copy them onto your Android.

Anyways, that last bullet point in short, you can manually backup, however, that only protects against game world's and characters being deleted, I do not know if it will protect against the you created the world on a newer version bug.

Finally, if your having summoner issues, make sure the when you tap the screen to summon them, it's outside of a closed box. I have a kava trap, and let's say I spawn summon inside with me, I leave the trap then reenter but my summon doesn't make it into the trap, the summon will only do touch damage. If you summon the spider, etc, outside of the trap, it will chase after mobs. Again, someone said the slider summon does nothing. For some reason, they decide when they want to attack, when they don't, it's a weird bug. All I know is that the slime, pigmy, and pirate summons attack everywhere I go. Spider, imp, hornet, it's a hit or miss.

Hello, just a few things. I cant quote everyone, on mobile so I stink at navigating and quoting.
Anyways

3. Now, this is a bit of an experiment for me, but if you have android, I do believe you can manually create a backup. The game itself makes two folders, one in android/data/com.and.games505.terraria and one in android/obb/com.and.games505.terraria. Now, before you read on and try to use this as a method of backup, I should warn you it may not work if you use this if the game crashes, your world get corrupt, etc. Anyways, the folder you want to copy is the Android/data/com. So and so. The adnroid/data folder contains what I believe your game character info. If you copy that, save it into your external SD card in some folder, and you uninstall, theoretically, you should be able to uninstall, reinstall the game, paste the files from you external backup, and run the game with your world there. I've tried this once and it worked, another time, nothing happened. I think I messed up the copy... Anyways, if your worried that you are going to lose your data(I have had that happen before, online and local) this us a quick way to manually back up your character. Another thing, if you are android, and your game us backup on cloud. The game files are located on your Google accounts drive. So I use my DWang email, the terraria characters and world for my online backup is on my DWang google drive. Again, you should be able to transfer those files and copy them onto your Android.

Anyways, that last bullet point in short, you can manually backup, however, that only protects against game world's and characters being deleted, I do not know if it will protect against the you created the world on a newer version bug.
Some corrections...
  1. android/data/com.and.games505.terrariapaid The other one, without the word 'paid' in it, is not the full version, therefore it will not be the right spot, nor does the 'trial' version allow any kind of save file loading.
  2. This kind of copying will only work for people with rooted devices (aka Superuser access/privileges). Without the device being rooted, the user will not have access to the system files, nor the game's save files.
I'd love to have rooted my phone before this mess, and make the corrupted save file issue all but a moot point for me, but I didn't; and as far as I understand, rooting the device tends to either obliterate the stuff currently on the device, or only gives access to stuff that is used under the custom ROM that allowed you to root your device (which means, you still can't access those files after the fact). I could be wrong, but I do know rooting a phone is not a simple process, and tends to void warranties and whatnot with your provider.

I know I'm grasping at straws here, but I'd still like to know if .bak files are on the mobile version of Terraria, and if those are the kind of backup files I think they are.

This assumes the port over from PC(Linux?) to Android was practically a direct port, which means most features that were in the PC version (at that specific game version) carried over to the Android OS platform, and said backup feature actually worked (or was not disabled) when transferred over to a different OS, and that the backup system stores a complete functional copy of the second newest save file for the character or world (with the newest save file being the normal files the game uses), AND I am assuming right that the files with same name, but with a ".bak" tacked on the end, means backup, and not some different kind of game file the program generates. :confused:

:sigh:
Even if I am correct in my assumptions, where all I'd have to do is remove the corrupted file from the save folder (preferably move, rather than out right delete.. just to be safe), then rename the .bak files to not have that .bak extension, and load up the save file as normal (being up to 4 mins of lost game time, rather than up to 2 mins), I'm still denied that option since I have no access to those files to manually rename them in the first place! But it does mean that people with rooted devices could possibly fix their own corrupted characters and/or worlds, and that 505 Games could later fix other people's characters and worlds by possibly allowing the system to use those backup files if things really go bad (like.. with that is going on now with messed up save files).

That's... a lot of strung together assumptions :(, and it only takes one to be wrong for the whole thing to not be possible; so I'm not going to be very surprised if it does turn out to not work out the way I hoped it might.
But still hoping it will... until I hear otherwise.

One final note: On Android OS apps, user generated files (like saved settings or saved game files) tend to not be deleted even when the app itself is uninstalled. This means that most times you can get away with removing a game, reinstall it, and still find your progress intact. I do mean 'tend' and 'most', since it is not always guaranteed that will work (for various reasons). Also, going into into your device's app settings and hiting the "Clear Data" button will almost assure deletion of any locally saved files. The "Clear Cache" button is fine, since that effectively deletes a program's 'cheat-sheet' or temporary notes it makes for itself to operate more effectively (and makes and remakes cache often anyway), but it can be confused with the "Clear Data" button. Handy to know the difference when trying to troubleshoot something. Clearing the cache sometimes is needed to force a program to 'clear its head', sort of speak, when it gets confused as to what it is supposed to do when bad data is in cache. "Clear Data" effectively makes it about as clean as it was when newly installed, but without the hassle of uninstalling and reinstalling it... which as I said, uninstalling often doesn't remove everything.

Last edited:
A few bugs that I've encountered:

1. The Angler will not spawn on my main world (which is also my original, created about a year ago). As this world was from before any recent updates, the beaches are much smaller, so I tried mining up beaches/sand from other worlds and building a beach larger and further inland. The background actually shows it is an ocean biome, yet the Angler still hasn't spawned anywhere on either beach or underwater. I'm aware that housing is possibly needed for him to spawn, and have built multiple houses, to no avail. However, he has appeared on two other worlds that are before and after the most recent updates, respectively.
  2. For some reason, all NPCs and enemies are emitting love-heart icons, similar to the love potion's effects (I think this is the "lovestruck" buff). This started recently and I don't know what triggered it.
  3. Sometimes when using healing potions (usually during boss fights) I will receive the healing/potion sickness debuff without getting healed (causing me to lose the fight).
Thanks, and if anyone thinks I'm doing something wrong in regards to the Angler, please let me know.

P.S.

I'm not sure if this is actually a bug, but it seems like it must be.

If Lihzahrd traps are supposed to be decent for Moon events, then how come they are only doing 1-2 damage to a Possessed Armour? I use Super-Darts, Flamethrowers and Spear traps, and know that Super-Darts aren't supposed to be very good. However, what about the others?

I only seldom used traps until recently when I made an arena for the moon events, so I guess I don't really know what is the norm, except that they should be effective (as it says in guides on the wiki, etc).

Last edited:
Some corrections...
  1. android/data/com.and.games505.terrariapaid The other one, without the word 'paid' in it, is not the full version, therefore it will not be the right spot, nor does the 'trial' version allow any kind of save file loading.
  2. This kind of copying will only work for people with rooted devices (aka Superuser access/privileges). Without the device being rooted, the user will not have access to the system files, nor the game's save files.
I'd love to have rooted my phone before this mess, and make the corrupted save file issue all but a moot point for me, but I didn't; and as far as I understand, rooting the device tends to either obliterate the stuff currently on the device, or only gives access to stuff that is used under the custom ROM that allowed you to root your device (which means, you still can't access those files after the fact). I could be wrong, but I do know rooting a phone is not a simple process, and tends to void warranties and whatnot with your provider.

I know I'm grasping at straws here, but I'd still like to know if .bak files are on the mobile version of Terraria, and if those are the kind of backup files I think they are.

This assumes the port over from PC(Linux?) to Android was practically a direct port, which means most features that were in the PC version (at that specific game version) carried over to the Android OS platform, and said backup feature actually worked (or was not disabled) when transferred over to a different OS, and that the backup system stores a complete functional copy of the second newest save file for the character or world (with the newest save file being the normal files the game uses), AND I am assuming right that the files with same name, but with a ".bak" tacked on the end, means backup, and not some different kind of game file the program generates. :confused:

:sigh:
Even if I am correct in my assumptions, where all I'd have to do is remove the corrupted file from the save folder (preferably move, rather than out right delete.. just to be safe), then rename the .bak files to not have that .bak extension, and load up the save file as normal (being up to 4 mins of lost game time, rather than up to 2 mins), I'm still denied that option since I have no access to those files to manually rename them in the first place! But it does mean that people with rooted devices could possibly fix their own corrupted characters and/or worlds, and that 505 Games could later fix other people's characters and worlds by possibly allowing the system to use those backup files if things really go bad (like.. with that is going on now with messed up save files).

That's... a lot of strung together assumptions :(, and it only takes one to be wrong for the whole thing to not be possible; so I'm not going to be very surprised if it does turn out to not work out the way I hoped it might.
But still hoping it will... until I hear otherwise.

One final note: On Android OS apps, user generated files (like saved settings or saved game files) tend to not be deleted even when the app itself is uninstalled. This means that most times you can get away with removing a game, reinstall it, and still find your progress intact. I do mean 'tend' and 'most', since it is not always guaranteed that will work (for various reasons). Also, going into into your device's app settings and hiting the "Clear Data" button will almost assure deletion of any locally saved files. The "Clear Cache" button is fine, since that effectively deletes a program's 'cheat-sheet' or temporary notes it makes for itself to operate more effectively (and makes and remakes cache often anyway), but it can be confused with the "Clear Data" button. Handy to know the difference when trying to troubleshoot something. Clearing the cache sometimes is needed to force a program to 'clear its head', sort of speak, when it gets confused as to what it is supposed to do when bad data is in cache. "Clear Data" effectively makes it about as clean as it was when newly installed, but without the hassle of uninstalling and reinstalling it... which as I said, uninstalling often doesn't remove everything.
You need a rooted phone? When I did manual backup, my phone was rooted, so I never paid much attention to that since most files in your phones drive are accessible. B1 archiver allows you to view hidden files, don't know if you can view those files.

Also, dating the app deletes all game data. So of you create a world, and u install, then reinstall, you have to start from scratch... Everything you add to the com.android.... Will be deleted. Whether you add it yourself or not. At least that's what happens for me.
[DOUBLEPOST=1454590351,1454590015][/DOUBLEPOST]

1. The Angler will not spawn on my main world (which is also my original, created about a year ago). As this world was from before any recent updates, the beaches are much smaller, so I tried mining up beaches/sand from other worlds and building a beach larger and further inland. The background actually shows it is an ocean biome, yet the Angler still hasn't spawned anywhere on either beach or underwater. I'm aware that housing is possibly needed for him to spawn, and have built multiple houses, to no avail. However, he has appeared on two other worlds that are before and after the most recent updates, respectively.
  2. For some reason, all NPCs and enemies are emitting love-heart icons, similar to the love potion's effects (I think this is the "lovestruck" buff). This started recently and I don't know what triggered it.
  3. Sometimes when using healing potions (usually during boss fights) I will receive the healing/potion sickness debuff without getting healed (causing me to lose the fight).
Thanks, and if anyone thinks I'm doing something wrong in regards to the Angler, please let me know.
1. All I know is that you need to generate a new world for some new features to work. I'm guessing the angler is one of those.
2. Maybe it's for February, valentine's day? Cause I've never had this issue before.
3. Same here, it's really annoying... So the potion thing you said is indeed a bug.

1. All I know is that you need to generate a new world for some new features to work. I'm guessing the angler is one of those.
2. Maybe it's for February, valentine's day? Cause I've never had this issue before.
3. Same here, it's really annoying... So the potion thing you said is indeed a bug.

Thanks for replying. As for your first point, I really hope not, as this is my main where I have explored every speck of the world, and remember it all. I couldn't restart or replace the world (as main), and it'd be irritating to go to different worlds just for the Angler. Anyway, I have another world that was created before the updates. The Angler appeared buried in the sand there, but not on my main.

Thanks for the reply, again!

Sorry if this has been asked, I tried to download the Windows phone version but it says its unavailable/ removed from store, was this intentional or is it just me?

I have a Lumia 640 running Windows 10 Mobile.

Sorry if this has been asked, I tried to download the Windows phone version but it says its unavailable/ removed from store, was this intentional or is it just me?

I have a Lumia 640 running Windows 10 Mobile.
Hmm that's interesting, maybe they pulled it off as it was an unsatisfactory product.

P.S.

I'm not sure if this is actually a bug, but it seems like it must be.

If Lihzahrd traps are supposed to be decent for Moon events, then how come they are only doing 1-2 damage to a Possessed Armour? I use Super-Darts, Flamethrowers and Spear traps, and know that Super-Darts aren't supposed to be very good. However, what about the others?

I only seldom used traps until recently when I made an arena for the moon events, so I guess I don't really know what is the norm, except that they should be effective (as it says in guides on the wiki, etc).
1. Lots have reported, kind of annoying, need those quests.
2. Valentine's event
3. Yeah sometimes it doesn't even work nor give debuff, sometimes it gives debuff but not heal. Really unpredictable.
The damage values are much too low, I made a table of them a few pages back comparing damage to a 0 defense player and a 0 defense enemy. Was a stark contrast.

QuickMemo+_2016-02-04-15-31-19.png
Why is the merchant not selling these firecrackers:(?

You need a rooted phone? When I did manual backup, my phone was rooted, so I never paid much attention to that since most files in your phones drive are accessible. B1 archiver allows you to view hidden files, don't know if you can view those files.

Also, dating the app deletes all game data. So of you create a world, and u install, then reinstall, you have to start from scratch... Everything you add to the com.android.... Will be deleted. Whether you add it yourself or not. At least that's what happens for me.
Installed B1 File Manager and Archiver, and it didn't show anything new that wasn't shown in any other file manger I have. The non-rooted phone just hides system folders and files, most times just showing otherwise 'empty' system folders.

And I did say that most times the files stay, but not always. Also, it may depend on the ROM (or rather, OS modification) you have, which could delete everything after uninstalling. Apps that 'clean up leftover/junk files' are deleting those kinds of files, as well as other misc files.

Speaking of system operations...
@505 Games Support
Please make it so when a person closes the program manually, it removes the program from operating memory. I know I've said this before, but I'm wanting to make sure it gets put in. Right now when a person exits, it just acts like they only switched to a different app (actually it goes to the home screen, but same affect). When they return, it brings up the program quickly, which is nice, but now the program is less stable. Switching out of the app and back in causes some loss of cached functions; making the need to get a clean copy of files loaded into active memory even more important. A person cannot guarantee that unless they leave the app and either wait until it is automatically removed by the OS, or the application is Force Closed via the application settings. If I don't see the 505 Games, Re-Logic, and RakNet logos when I want a clean startup, I have to 'exit' out and force close it to ensure that.

As for the firecrackers that were brought up again, I couldn't confirm that either with my new character and pre-hardmode world. I checked on Feb 3rd, local time (EDT) in the evening, and didn't see anything new.

I tried to check the Gamapeida site for Terraria, but it was messed up at the time, and special character search was not working, so I don't what's with that firecracker item.

One thing that should be tweaked is the way that resolution is recognized. I'm pretty sure my phone would support zooming out a little more since the game still looks very clean and I can see a difference in quality for higher resolution videos. I mean there are some phones that support zooming out but mines around the same resolution. Its a pain fighting the ice queen when you can't see her same with running into the sharknadoes.

Has there been any news on the amazon update? Haven't been on in a while.

That's literally been asked several times here in the past few days.

But can't really blame you. The thread is huge, who can read all that; and I know how frustrating it is waiting for something to happen just so you can play a fun game... and even more so to see others get updates and still be left out. :(

Took a chance and used my scouting character to confirm this. And...
View attachment 95040
Yup! On one of my worlds, right where there was a floating island, there it was. Note: brand new-ish character, so I grabbed some gear (Cloud in a Bottle and Balloon) from my first world and used a Gravity Potion and Invisibility Potion to not get attacked by Harpies.
View attachment 95041
Here I am again, after grabbing some dirt to make a bridge, and it popped up instantly on my other world where there was no land to hang the banner on.

Note: These are practically brand new worlds, so the guy is sleep right under that banner.

In the process of confirming this.. my second guy, Rob, died a couple times.
View attachment 95042
But... not even his grave stone listed his name!
Can't fake this even if I wanted to. There is no way to write on signs or tombstones. As soon as I pick one up, they go "..." on me.

Anyway, another thing I found out. (a couple more pics)
View attachment 95043
First character, named James (obviously), still stuck in limbo, but at least the game recognizes he is still in the system.

However...
View attachment 95044
Ever since James got trapped, his 'ghost' has been causing Rob's character image to be displaced. Rob's character icon used to be in the second slot, until awhile ago when I jumped around in a couple worlds to do another check (which I mentioned in another post)

Note: Rob in the first images doesn't look anything like the character appearance in this last pic. With the displaced character icon, it sets everything to (I assume) the first listed settings for each part of the character. Explains why he is dressed (edit: almost) in white and looks almost like the Guide.
(edit: not sure what colors those are, but it sure isn't what I originally picked for Rob. Nor is it how James looks either.)
(Another added edit: The short trip to my first world made me realize how much I missed it. I wish I could play it again, without fear if it too going onto limbo, or worse.)
I can help with that last part. All you need to do is create one or two more characters and "Rob" should go back to his own character slot and you can than use him again. I had the same problem. That fixed it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom