Mobile Terraria Mobile Bugs & Issues Status

Status
Not open for further replies.
May I ask how far the patch for android is in development? It's a buggy mess right now and I know you guys are working hard on it, but I'd like to know when it might come out. Thanks.

Hoping 505 (and others) will give everyone a status update tomorrow (or early this week at the very least) since everyone should be back open for business after the holidays.

Luck:
image.png

Bug: Mourning Wood drops something every time it dies.
Another bug: Chain Gun & Gatligator both fire in a straight line.
Yet another bug: Jungle music plays in some areas of Forest, Snow and Hallow.
Another Bug: Dungeon spirit spawn rate is extremely low, only spawns with every rough 70th enemy killed.
Bug: With bundle of balloons; you can hoik through a sloped roof.
Also Frost Moon music was fixed but multiplayer bug still persists as an issue.
Luck:
image.png

I must wait... keep up the good work though. I can't wait until 1.2.4 for Amazon. I always play Amazon Terraria because I played that before hardmode came into the mobile versions and tried to keep my world from slowly dying.

Bug: Amazon Terraria tends to freeze and crash after about 5-20 minutes. I only know this for Kindle Fire HDX.

I must wait... keep up the good work though. I can't wait until 1.2.4 for Amazon. I always play Amazon Terraria because I played that before hardmode came into the mobile versions and tried to keep my world from slowly dying.

Bug: Amazon Terraria tends to freeze and crash after about 5-20 minutes. I only know this for Kindle Fire HDX.
Kindle Fire HDX is susceptible to doing that.
Possibly its processing capacity it not yet sufficient for Terraria. Who knows?

I know right! There should be a seperate thread for pestering the devs for info. This is the bugs and issues thread, people! Not update dates.:sigh:

Oh really? A thread created by a dev where they said they'd add any updates to the OP when they have them should be separate from a thread about updates?

Wow.

i recently switched to a new phone and i didn't want my save files from terraria in my old phone to be lost so i rooted it and grabbed the player file and the world file. I did that in the past but now when i copy the file in it says "The save file Jim.player was created with a newer version of Terraria and could not be loaded"(i'm running the 1.2.11212 version) i dont know why it says that because i did that proccess in the past and worked just fine. They same thing happens when i try to load the world aswell.

This is 100% not how QA works in the slightest. Before you complain about them missing bugs, you might want to take several step backs and look at the big picture, which is the vast majority of bugs they fixed.

Furthermore, since you seem confused, QA is more than just "if we don't eliminate every single bug, we won't release the game." That's not how QA goes in the slightest. People who have actually worked in QA can attest to this (as opposed to people who have never worked in QA and have little idea the internal goings-on involved with it.) In QA, you'll often see this term: Deferred. What does this mean? In QA, it tends to mean they have identified the bug/ acknowledged a bug, but rather than halt further development / release, they're opting to address this bug in the next update available. Things are not so simple as "if there is a bug, that means they missed it, and they're horrible."

Secondly, this is a mobile version of Terraria. Would you like to list every single phone and mobile device capable of running the Terraria Mobile version? Chances are you will not be able to even list them all, let alone the QA and development team having to work around the clock to test the mobile version on as many of these devices as possible, and squash bugs across every single device available to run it. It's not the same as having an X-box or PS3 version, where there's only so many kinds of hardware capable of running it. We're talking potentially hundreds of devices, with different specs, different hardware, layouts, etc.

It is insane to expect a major mobile release / update to be bug free across absolutely every platform available to run it, and little more than a pipe dream. This does not mean the QA team is bad, it means they have a lot of work ahead of them. While we're at it, when we talk about the scale of mobile games, Terraria is definitely up there. This isn't a one-trick "runner" game where the most complicated mechanic is tapping up to jump. This is a fully fledged procedurally generated sandbox. The fact that the development team even managed to get this game running on phones is impressive, and expecting there to be absolutely no bugs is hilarious in addition.

Furthermore, each new update is going to add new bugs, as well as new content. This is how software development is. This is how video games are. Bugs happen. The best thing you do is report each bug as you find them, not be senselessly aggressive about it, and you'll be helping the team get the bugs faster. Be thankful for all the bugs they fixed, and help them fix the bugs they missed by reporting it. Chances are, a lot of bugs, and I do mean a LOT, are being caused by a hardware / software interaction error. To explain that, it means that a lot of bugs could be happening because of a specific model of mobile device interacting with the actual game. I will reiterate this point. There is a ton of different devices capable of running Mobile Terraria, and it is very hard to keep track of all the bugs pertaining to specific models, makes, and brands of phones. And then managing to get these devices properly and thoroughly tested. And then making sure bug fixes that are being rolled out fix the bug across all devices.

The idea of every single model of phone being 100% bug free, or even 90% bug free, is an astronomical feat that should not be taken lightly. If you're going to choose to equate "they have bugs" to "they're a bad QA team" you may want to relax a bit. Yeah, you've found bugs. So have most of us. The more we report these bugs, the better it'll be in the next update. Being hostile towards the QA team is no way to behave. It doesn't help anyone, it doesn't do anything. The weeks leading up to 1.2.4 were probably extremely busy and frantic, as they worked towards the deadline. There were two possibilies:

A) If they delayed the update to fix 100% of the known bugs, people would be upset, (and then more bugs would be discovered anyway, leading to point B automatically)
B) If they launched the update with bugs, people would be upset.

At least with situation B, the update is in consumers' hands, and they can report any bugs the QA team missed, and work to help the QA team get them fixed, documented, and tested. Often times, consumers report bugs the QA team can't produce, so it's not like they can fix a bug they're not having, either. Especially when people report bugs as "it crashes on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3." Doesn't really help much, but what does help is when there's tens of thousands of consumers playing the game and will report obscure, hard-to-reproduce bugs too.

Anyway, I could go on for days about the QA process. And how it's much more complicated than "fix all the bugs, don't release a game with bugs." Every bug is manhours invested into it, and there's only so many men, and so many hours. Even AAA companies with 100x the staff still release games that have so many bugs in it. It happens. All people need to do is be more understanding, less impatient, and there's definitely no need to be derogatory, insulting, or aggressive.

TLDR: Chill.

Except they did A AND B. You've presented two options that are lose lose. I don't disagree. But they didn't pick one. They picked BOTH, and then combined it with a communication that is contradictory to this decision.. If squashing all of the bugs was unrealistic to begin with, they shouldn't have told us that's what we were waiting for originally. Don't blame the backlash on the unrealistic expectations of your users; blame it on the incorrect and unrealistic communications we were given. Is the expectation that every single bug would be gone in the update unrealistic? Absolutely it is. Now, understand why people had that expectation in the first place. Lack of knowledge about the QA process isn't the reason.

While it's true that most of these people haven't worked in QA, it's also true that they don't have to be good at something to have an opinion about it. How many times were we told that the update was being delayed in order to fix bugs? How many times did we hear "We want to make sure the update is free of all bugs before we release it"?

From your statement here I can only assume that you believe there were known bugs that were never intended to be fixed in the update, because as you said, there were some that were likely deferred. This is probably true, and if it is, it certainly begs the question of "what was the original delay for?"

It's unfair to criticize people that don't know the inner workings of how QA works. They know what they were told. If what they were told isn't true, well, I trust you know where to point the finger.

The point about testing and listing each platform or available combination would be acceptable if there weren't persisting issues that are existing across all device combinations.

We were also told we could expect the google play bug fix to go live over a week ago. Should we not expect that it should be live and instead learn the inner workings of QA? Should a consumer and customer have to know these things on top of the communications they're getting? That's ridiculous. No, they shouldn't.

They should be able to rely on the information being given to them. Your statement is very close to an admission that they cannot.

Essentially you are saying, "know how QA works and ignore what we're telling you because it isn't true."

Let's not forget the admission coming from staff / devs directly that the QA process didn't work as expected.

Last edited:
Like i feared 505games favors FailOS and Android gets less love.
1.2.4 was delayed so long for fixing bugs to have a "perfect release with no bugs" yet its so buggy.
FailOS got a bugfix first while android not and was supposed to get the update but still nothing.
Makes me wonder why out of all the major mobile gaming companies Relogic chose a company with a few games with low ratings on Google Play to make the mobile port. R.I.P Logic

I don't know if this is a bug, but the record function is not working.
Ipad mini, IOS 9.2

And the angler ask for fishes that you can't find in your world, he asked for Mutant Flinxfin (Snow Biome) and my world has desert only :p

Last edited:
Noone ever assumed nor should ever assume that ANY piece of software will ever be bug free. That is pretty much a complete impossibility, to Tsuki's point (and I thank her for writing it as well). She is also 100% on point that a group of millions of gamers will ALWAYS find stuff that a team of however many (let's say 25? I don't know the exact count, but that seems fair) will - especially in a game like this. Then you toss on the device configurations (A Verizon phone is not the same as an AT&T phone....and then they differ again by country and sometimes even by region) and then you have all that she was talking about.

As to my earlier statements around the QA folks, let me expand a little on what I mean - "Standard QA" is more focused around the bigger/more obvious stuff. This, I feel, is where things fell short - and will need to be adjusted moving forward. Simply put, not enough Terraria experts got the dedicated time to play - people that can intuitively tell when something is "off"....whereas standard QA is more focused on base functionality (where there were misses still - which is why my hard pushing behind the scenes on that). My understanding is that there is already a plan in process to address that specific aspect in the future - though I imagine that it will take time as all things do.

A TON of stuff was fixed - and a ton of stuff was clearly missed. Both can be true...and, in fact, are.

Thus, my focus has been and remains: getting the "board cleared" of the current list as quickly as humanly possible, in a triaged manner (big stuff first)......then accelerating and catalyzing that QA process change to have more "expert" views (I foresee two roads there). Focus forward, as they say.

All of the rest of the questions that keep being raised, I have already asked - but as I noted, nearly every major business has been closed since right before Xmas. That should start relaxing heading into this week as far as I know.

Hang in there. :)

Oh cmon look at Terrarias rating on Google Play only 505 games can achieve a 4.0 and 4.1 with a game such Terraria we need new devs for the port i had enough of 505 and their silence, weak communication and bugged releases

Oh cmon look at Terrarias rating on Google Play only 505 games can achieve a 4.0 and 4.1 with a game such Terraria we need new devs for the port i had enough of 505 and their silence, weak communication and bugged releases
That's a little too much but i agree with the buggy and delayed releases part tho

1.2.4 was delayed so long for fixing bugs to have a "perfect release with no bugs" yet its so buggy.
FailOS got a bugfix first while android not and was supposed to get the update but still nothing.
Makes me wonder why out of all the major mobile gaming companies Relogic chose a company with a few games with low ratings on Google Play to make the mobile port. R.I.P Logic
There is no need to be so negative about the devs :indifferent:

anyone here who expected the minor or harder to find bugs all to be squished is being unreasonable, of course. What bugs (no pun intended) me and from the sounds of it most others is the fact that the, lets be honest, blatant bugs weren't seen. You just have to play for 5 minutes to see that a lot of common enemies are entirely broken. And didn't anyone try using a hammer with the right joystick?

I've got no problems with what the devs have done, pre 1.2 I thought that anything after 1.2 wouldn't be compatible for mobile, and they have very quickly surpassed my expectations. But it sounds to me at least that they've been let down by the QA process. We were always told that they were trying their hardest to bring an update with very few bugs, which makes me wonder if QA promised this when it wasn't going to be possible.
First, why the failOS?
Last December we got 1.2. Now, we are on 1.2.4. That's pretty quick if you ask me. Furthermore their games have pretty good ratings.

If 505 keeps lying about release dates and keep delaying updates for so called bug fixes(let's be honest they didn't do a very good job on these fixes) im so done with this once Pokémon go comes out. No offense 505 just being honest here.

anyone here who expected the minor or harder to find bugs all to be squished is being unreasonable, of course. What bugs (no pun intended) me and from the sounds of it most others is the fact that the, lets be honest, blatant bugs weren't seen. You just have to play for 5 minutes to see that a lot of common enemies are entirely broken. And didn't anyone try using a hammer with the right joystick?

I've got no problems with what the devs have done, pre 1.2 I thought that anything after 1.2 wouldn't be compatible for mobile, and they have very quickly surpassed my expectations. But it sounds to me at least that they've been let down by the QA process. We were always told that they were trying their hardest to bring an update with very few bugs, which makes me wonder if QA promised this when it wasn't going to be possible.

First, why the failOS?
Last December we got 1.2. Now, we are on 1.2.4. That's pretty quick if you ask me. Furthermore their games have pretty good ratings.

1 year to release a bugged 1.2.4? wow 1.3 in 2018 confirmed! (2019 on amazon and in 2020 android will get the bugfix)
Maybe i need to play the pc version instead...

Hey Btw ExE i dont think pokemon go will be that awesome from what ive seen lol

Okay, so I was playing Terraria yesterday, 1/3/2016, and i was in my cloud saved world, which was also my main world. while i was moving all my crafting stations and supplies to a new sky hub away from my NPC housing, the game had crashed. I went back into my world and saw that the world had seemingly been deleted, however the world was still saved to my Google Drive folder (and now into my computer). I do't know if this has happened to others, but it doesn't seem normal for a .csworld file to just stop responding to Terraria. My phone is running Android 5.0 (lollipop) on an HTC Desire 626, but I don't thing the device OS or hardware is the problem(?). Please help (i don't care when, I just want my world back).

1 year to release a bugged 1.2.4? wow 1.3 in 2018 confirmed! (2019 on amazon and in 2020 android will get the bugfix)
Maybe i need to play the pc version instead...

Hey Btw ExE i dont think pokemon go will be that awesome from what ive seen lol
No, 1 year to get from releasing 1.2 to releasing 1.2.4. That's very different to what you said. Yes this update is very, very buggy, and I'm also disappointed by the false release dates, but it's worth remembering how complex this game is.

I don't think we will ever get 1.3, but we'll see I guess :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom