Mobile Terraria Mobile Needs A Upgrade

Should Terraria Mobile receive the same amount of attention as the desktop platform does?

• Total voters

TheCarrigan

Terrarian
So recently I've been looking into gaming on mobile device's, mostly due to the recently released phones having such huge advancements in their hardware. Then in turn, device's are showing this off with the software capabilities that can be achieved by using the hardware.

I managed to emulate windows 10 on a S9+ and run terraria! However the FPS was around 16. So it wasn't that playable to me.

The point of this post is to basically address how much this game is lacking behind in the mobile area. The lack of customization for the video, game and control settings.
One thing that annoys me is the UI, also how you interact with it. Simple yet it's out dated.
Then the video settings, I can push the game so much harder now thanks to the new hardware available, and this includes the resolution (now reaching 1440p).

The controls are one thing I hate, not being able to use certain items due to the lack of customisable controls. The two analog method does work, however I always find myself jumping odd stuff and in turn just being annoying to play on a 10" tablet.
Now most modern devices have screen mirroring, allowing you to connect the devices to a TV or monitor. Potentially turning your device into a portable console (I do this alot, especially with Samsung DeX).
Now it's great being able to do these things but it lacks in titles that can be played through controller.

Which brings me onto my next point, controller support.
Android now fully supports main stream controllers such as the Xbox One and Dualshock 4 controllers.
And in turn, developers are recognising this and using it to their advantage. By implementing the use of a Xbox One controller for example, allows the usage of 3rd party controllers still with their full use and capabilities. Now after connection both these controllers to my device in seconds and trying them out on terraria, it left me a little disappointed at this experience.
After playing it on consoles for years and having such a great experience, my hopes were high. But no, it was a flop.

Anyway, just thought I'd express some thoughts onto what I believe should be updated and changed to keep up with other competition and to future proof your game. Take it or leave it, it's just some features I'd like to see changed.

Also If this thread needs to be moved due to being in the incorrect location then go ahead, I understand.

P.s. Lots of people are asking about controller support also.
P.p.s. Android TV doesn't have many great games on it also..

Yeah the devs need to update mobile terraria to 1.3, that update is 3 years over due. For example, minecraft mobile is now getting as much attention as the Java edition of minecraft, such as receiving updates.

Last edited:
Yeah the devs need to update mobile terraria to 1.3, that update is 3 years over due. For example, minecraft mobile is now getting as much attention as the Java edition of minecraft, such as receiving updates.
That is a very good comparison. The UI customization is incredible on the mobile version of that also.

However their development team is considerably larger.

So recently I've been looking into gaming on mobile device's, mostly due to the recently released phones having such huge advancements in their hardware. Then in turn, device's are showing this off with the software capabilities that can be achieved by using the hardware.

I managed to emulate windows 10 on a S9+ and run terraria! However the FPS was around 16. So it wasn't that playable to me.

The point of this post is to basically address how much this game is lacking behind in the mobile area. The lack of customization for the video, game and control settings.
One thing that annoys me is the UI, also how you interact with it. Simple yet it's out dated.
Then the video settings, I can push the game so much harder now thanks to the new hardware available, and this includes the resolution (now reaching 1440p).

The controls are one thing I hate, not being able to use certain items due to the lack of customisable controls. The two analog method does work, however I always find myself jumping odd stuff and in turn just being annoying to play on a 10" tablet.
Now most modern devices have screen mirroring, allowing you to connect the devices to a TV or monitor. Potentially turning your device into a portable console (I do this alot, especially with Samsung DeX).
Now it's great being able to do these things but it lacks in titles that can be played through controller.

Which brings me onto my next point, controller support.
Android now fully supports main stream controllers such as the Xbox One and Dualshock 4 controllers.
And in turn, developers are recognising this and using it to their advantage. By implementing the use of a Xbox One controller for example, allows the usage of 3rd party controllers still with their full use and capabilities. Now after connection both these controllers to my device in seconds and trying them out on terraria, it left me a little disappointed at this experience.
After playing it on consoles for years and having such a great experience, my hopes were high. But no, it was a flop.

Anyway, just thought I'd express some thoughts onto what I believe should be updated and changed to keep up with other competition and to future proof your game. Take it or leave it, it's just some features I'd like to see changed.

Also If this thread needs to be moved due to being in the incorrect location then go ahead, I understand.

P.s. Lots of people are asking about controller support also.
P.p.s. Android TV doesn't have many great games on it also..
An update for the mobile version is currently in development. There is no release date, and at this time there is no info regarding what the system requirements will be to run the new update.

Terraria Mobile has had controller support since at least Oct 2015 and possible before. The MOGA Hero Power and Logitech PowerShell controllers are recommended and supported. I use a MadCatz CTRLi (for iOS) and it is not one of the supported controllers, however it works fine.

You can find a bit more info here, and when there is more info to share it will be: Terraria 1.3 Status Update: Mobile & Switch

An update for the mobile version is currently in development. There is no release date, and at this time there is no info regarding what the system requirements will be to run the new update.

Terraria Mobile has had controller support since at least Oct 2015 and possible before. The MOGA Hero Power and Logitech PowerShell controllers are recommended and supported. I use a MadCatz CTRLi (for iOS) and it is not one of the supported controllers, however it works fine.

You can find a bit more info here, and when there is more info to share it will be: Terraria 1.3 Status Update: Mobile & Switch
That is great news.
Although in previous updates, not much has changed apart from the game content and gameplay. No updates to menus, UI, settings and so on. It needs refreshed, as it currently feels old and out dated.

Yes the game does have 3rd party controller support and does fully support the controllers from Logitech and MOGA.
I would just like to see additional support for both Xbox One and Dualshock 4 controllers.
Why? Because almost everyone has access to one of these controllers in their own homes. Rather than going out their way to get a 3rd party controller just to specifically play certain android titles.
I certainly wont be spending an extra £40 on a decent controller just for my phone when I already purchased an Xbox one controller for it.

Also thanks for the link on the updates!

Hello, I am I huge Terrarian and I have been REALLY curious...but when 1.3 releases on mobile may or possibly delete my character

Yeah one thing that really bugs me is that you can't use the hover board with mobile controls, also the grappling hooks barely work. Hopefully they fix these kinds of things in 1.3

Back
Top Bottom