Mobile Terraria Mobile Update - Introducing DR Studios

Then you have as much knowledge as the developers, or maybe more. I think you're being way too optimistic.

Currently the mobile version of the game running 1.2.4 uses a LOT less RAM than it should because the game assets are being streamed only as needed. It was a design compromise to drastically lower the system requirements, but made parts of the game not work correctly compared to PC. The new 1.3 patch will run using the same logic as the PS4/XB1 version, where the entire game is loaded and updated in real time. So it will be running on different hardware than the PS4/XB1 version, but will be using the same coding. Having the entire game constantly running, even the parts of the map you aren't in, is going to require a HUGE amount of RAM compared to the current implementation on mobile.

Mobile devices with 2 GB or more of ram are becoming very common. I think the new implementation of the game on mobile will need at least that much. Otherwise I think they would need to cut back on features for the mobile version like the previous developer did. I'm not sure it's worth their time to continue to support mobile devices with any less than that if it means they will have to cut back the experience in a meaningful way.
I agree but i wouldnt say that 2Gb ram is common right now even though it is getting more common.

Dear devs, I've been supporting this game for a while now and enjoyed the living hell out of it. Can we please have a date when the mobile update will be released?, I swear I'll buy another copy of the game just for that. I beg you give me the timeframe, whatever it is...

Then you have as much knowledge as the developers, or maybe more. I think you're being way too optimistic.

Currently the mobile version of the game running 1.2.4 uses a LOT less RAM than it should because the game assets are being streamed only as needed. It was a design compromise to drastically lower the system requirements, but made parts of the game not work correctly compared to PC. The new 1.3 patch will run using the same logic as the PS4/XB1 version, where the entire game is loaded and updated in real time. So it will be running on different hardware than the PS4/XB1 version, but will be using the same coding. Having the entire game constantly running, even the parts of the map you aren't in, is going to require a HUGE amount of RAM compared to the current implementation on mobile.

Mobile devices with 2 GB or more of ram are becoming very common. I think the new implementation of the game on mobile will need at least that much. Otherwise I think they would need to cut back on features for the mobile version like the previous developer did. I'm not sure it's worth their time to continue to support mobile devices with any less than that if it means they will have to cut back the experience in a meaningful way.

I honestly don't think RAM is not what you should solely base the requirements off of. Newer processors with better GPU's are probably needed for the 1.3 update on mobile.

I honestly don't think RAM is not what you should solely base the requirements off of. Newer processors with better GPU's are probably needed for the 1.3 update on mobile.
I was thinking that too. I think an iphone 6s will run perfectly with 2ram and a nice processor.

I just have a nasty feeling that it wont happen for another while. Terraria is one of a kind game as is and is a complete monopoly on mobile since theres not even any clones there. Devs need to create a #gofundterrariamobile to speed this $h!t up.

The reason RAM keeps getting brought up is because Terraria is not a normal kind of game. Most games only load up what they need at the time, whether that's a level, your inventory, or the creatures you're fighting. Terraria on mobile currently works this way as well by only loading the things around your character as needed.

PC Terraria (and now PS4 and XB1) doesn't do that. It loads ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING when it starts up. Every item, enemy, creature, boss, and every single tile in your entire world map. All of it are sitting there in the games memory the entire time you're playing. It's the only reason the corruption spread works, because the game is updating every single part of the map at all times, even if you have never even been there. While a powerful processor is good, it just can't replicate what Terraria is already doing without the RAM to store that data. As 1.3 on mobile will be a port of the existing console code, the idea that it will mechanically work very similar the PC version is not an unreasonable estimate. Thus the amount of memory the game needs is probably going to jump up drastically.
Sounds right.

Problem is 1.3 is a very big update that bumped up the specs needed to play it on PC by a LOT
Basicaly ALL big apps in PC, Mobile, Console, is getting bigger with her newer versions and new more heavy apps is rising. Because this all eletronic companies is making each time more powerful devices, with poweful technologies (E. G.: AI, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, etc...)
Whatever you do, don’t remove the sharanga.
I am sorry, but Sharanga will be removed in 1.3, even in mobile!

Basicaly ALL big apps in PC, Mobile, Console, is getting bigger with her newer versions and new more heavy apps is rising. Because this all eletronic companies is making each time more powerful devices, with poweful technologies (E. G.: AI, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, etc...)

I am sorry, but Sharanga will be removed in 1.3, even in mobile!
Are you sure? After all it never existed in PC, not even back in the olden days.

iPhones about 5 years old are supported so i dont think so
How about android fans?

Minimum Specs for 1.3 are not known yet.

As @Proto Persona noted, 1.3 caused a jump in requirements even on PC. So, it is not necessarily true that devices that can run the current version will be able to run this one (see: Old Gen Consoles). As soon as the DR team knows where the "lines" are for supported vs not, they will share this. I do know they are following the same logic that we have always pushed for: if it can run without cutting corners or compromising the game's quality/integrity/stability, we would like to cast as wide of a net as we can. That said, if it runs like crap or is wholly unstable, we would rather you have a functioning game with less content than a broken game with more... if that makes sense?

As @Proto Persona noted, 1.3 caused a jump in requirements even on PC. So, it is not necessarily true that devices that can run the current version will be able to run this one (see: Old Gen Consoles). As soon as the DR team knows where the "lines" are for supported vs not, they will share this. I do know they are following the same logic that we have always pushed for: if it can run without cutting corners or compromising the game's quality/integrity/stability, we would like to cast as wide of a net as we can. That said, if it runs like crap or is wholly unstable, we would rather you have a functioning game with less content than a broken game with more... if that makes sense?
Makes sence.

Soo if our device isnt supported anymore will u give us back our moeny?

Well, considering you’ve already played the game as it is for quite a while, probably not, unless you’ve accidentally bought it after 1.3 come out, intending to play 1.3,without realizing your device can’t play on 1.3.

My tablet came out in 2014 and It runs Terraria perfectly Its a 4.4.2 And it has alot of space for The game, would it most likely not be able to play 1.3 anymore or would it

Would say that is extremely doubtful. The notion as I understand it would be that the existing game would continue to function as it does now on any older/out of spec devices. This is how it worked when an earlier mobile update required the sunsetting of older devices at that time (cannot recall which it was - will have to look). That's honestly the way mobile gaming tends to work (even Apple, for example, only supports iOS versions back so far).

That and what Proto mentioned.

My tablet came out in 2014 and It runs Terraria perfectly Its a 4.4.2 And it has alot of space for The game, would it most likely not be able to play 1.3 anymore or would it

Storage space (HDD/SSD) isn't the issue. It's going to be RAM and processor more than likely if history is any teacher. What exactly that threshold will be, no one knows yet - other than the standards I mentioned before around casting as wide a net as possible without sacrificing too far on quality/stability.

Back
Top Bottom