Official Terraria Now Available on GOG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before hand, does it cost money to publish a game on GOG? I looked into it, but I don't have a good game idea, and I want to have a good idea before paying money to publish if I have to.

As far as I am aware no, GOG does a 70/30 split... with 70 for developer and 30 for them. GOG will also give you an advance on royalties if needed to fund your game in which case the split becomes 60/40 until payed back. However to submit your game you would likely need more than an idea, like an actual working alpha. GOG will then evaluate your game to see if it would sell well on GOG, as they know what types of games sell well. If you do get added to GOG they will then release the game and promote it for you.

So how does updates work on Gog? Just curious, I've never used it before.

It most cases you get a separate install file containing just the patched files which you can find under your account for the game. Sometimes however you must re-download and install the entire game to be patched to the latest version.

However GOG Galaxy (a DRM Free client) will handle patches automatically like Steam does... and it will be releasing soon.

What's the difference with DRM free exactly...?

I'd like to know this as well. Does it mean that my Steam copy will not be mine in the future, even though I paid for it?

Basically, there are people who don't want to play games through a DRM-inducing program (Steam, Origin, Desura). Their reason goes way over my head, though.

DRM free simply means the game contains no digital rights management, they will not limit you on installs, or ask you to enter some key or be connected online to play. There are many different types of DRM. The game will come in an packed install file & install when run- that's it.

As far as Steam goes, you don't technically own any game or software. You are given an indefinite license to use said product as long as you abide by the license. Steam has the right to remove any game from your account and take said game away at anytime according to there EULA. If Steam was to go out of business, unless changed as far as how they work, a lot of there games would no longer function or be able to be installed since Steam servers would not longer exist to handle that. So it's "possible" something could happen to your steam game.

With GOG, since there is no DRM they can't forcibly take the game away from you at all, so in essence you own the game more than say a Steam copy. Also since there is no DRM any GOG game will continue to work long after GOG is gone since you can back up a GOG game easily on a flash drive, harddrive ect... and there is nothing needing GOG to function.

Hope that helps, figured I'd explain why a lot of people choose GOG over Steam or DRM free... also as mentioned above GOG Galaxy is releasing soon which will give those who purchase from GOG a Steam like client for there games while remaining completely DRM Free and optional.

Listening to the Soundtrack on bandcamp now. Thanks for the link ( to the one that posted it). Will be getting this game again just for that music. I think.

This would be great, but everyone in my family already has a copy of the game on steam.

Oh well.

By the way, I thought GOG.com only sold old games, you know, because they're called Good Old Games?

This would be great, but everyone in my family already has a copy of the game on steam.

Oh well.

By the way, I thought GOG.com only sold old games, you know, because they're called Good Old Games?

No, GOG "used" to stand for Good Old Games... they rebranded long ago as simply GOG. Now they sell new games, classic games, and recently moved into selling DRM free movies (though currently this is just documentary style & gaming related)

With GOG Galaxy (DRM free client & releasing soon) there trying big time to compete with Steam and grow as a business. There are currently arguably number #2 as the biggest store for games and the biggest store for DRM free.

Nice I would buy it for the soundtrack alone since that wasn't included in the Steam version of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom