Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Mac OSX 10.10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
So terraria worked perfectly until the Journeys End Update. I know this game probably works better on a PC, but until now, it worked fine on my Mac. In my world I have all my NPC's around the general spawning point area. So right when I spawn, it gets extremely laggy (never happened before). I don't know if I need to wait for another update to come out that solves this issue, but it is really annoying that the game isn't working efficiently.

So, as it currently stands, we haven't been able to fully optimize Mac/Linux builds of 1.4. We are looking into it that for a followup update, as well as general performance improvements on all versions of the game.

So, as it currently stands, we haven't been able to fully optimize Mac/Linux builds of 1.4. We are looking into it that for a followup update, as well as general performance improvements on all versions of the game.

Hello Leinfors. The 2 of my children who are running on macbooks are giving me very hard looks right now.. The one using the old win8 laptop is laughing. They were also able to play fine but now the game runs in slow motion. Sometimes it works fine though, then goes back to slowmo. I know you are aware of the issue but I wanted say my piece anyway. Squeaky wheel and all that. Btw the update is amazing bar that, for myself and my wife running win 7 and 10 respectively, great work.

The Mac/Linux issue is, unfortunately, out of our hands. Our programmer who knew Mac/Linux left the team and it set back our ability to support them properly in time for launch.

It is definitely something high on our list of priorities, but also one that will take some amount of time to resolve, due to the logistics of either learning the necessary mechanics to update it, or acquire new personnel.

Sorry for the inconvenience! :(

Hi Leinfors! I'll be waiting on that follow-up. I've always been used to play Terraria at stable 60FPS, but after the update, my game seems quite laggy. Sometimes it'll stutter while walking through biomes, while on the underground, placing torches and when it's raining. On multiplayer, the game briefly stops for a while.
I'm currently playing on compatibility mode after the update, but it didn't solve anything.

My specs are:
Laptop / i5 - 3.5Ghz / 8GB RAM / MX150 graphics card / Windows 10.

Just wanted to share that if you disable the minimap it seems to improve frame rate. Cycle through the different map overlays and you will see what I mean.

I confirmed that it's nothing to do with Mac hardware—running on MacOS with minimum graphics settings gives me 20-25 FPS, but running in Windows 10 via Bootcamp gives a solid 60 FPS. For those who are currently struggling with this issue, dual-booting to Windows (which you can set up for free without a Windows activation key) does seem to let the game perform normally.

I don't know about dual booting — i just lovered resolution in windowed mode for a time being and it works fast enough
Mac OS 10.13.16

Just wanted to share that if you disable the minimap it seems to improve frame rate. Cycle through the different map overlays and you will see what I mean.

Thanks for that! We tried and it took the performance from 40% to 85%, at least it's playable now 👍

hi, mac users are having frame drops when using certain armors with visual effects (like the hallowed armor). More info here

Thanks!

Just wanted to check in to see if there's been any progress towards solving this issue/the issue with armor with visual effects for Mac users! I had the same issues when 1.4 was released and am waiting for fixes before playing with the new content.

Just wanted to check in to see if there's been any progress towards solving this issue/the issue with armor with visual effects for Mac users! I had the same issues when 1.4 was released and am waiting for fixes before playing with the new content.
Hi
No update on this yet. I was hoping it was gonna be fixed in 1.4.1.2 but the issue persist. :(
I think be better wait for Hytale to be released before this issue is fixed lol

Hey,

Any news on the mac performance? My siblings have just started playing and are both trying to use MacBooks but their games are locked to 30fps no matter what i tried to change. Felt bad that I couldn't really do anything for them and thought I'd ask here.

Anything on this yet? Saw that you said you’re person who knew mac well left. Saw recently that you hired a new team any chance this gets resolved for newest update coming out?

The Mac/Linux issue is, unfortunately, out of our hands. Our programmer who knew Mac/Linux left the team and it set back our ability to support them properly in time for launch.

It is definitely something high on our list of priorities, but also one that will take some amount of time to resolve, due to the logistics of either learning the necessary mechanics to update it, or acquire new personnel.

Sorry for the inconvenience! :(
Well, it's been 2 years now, and the game is still laggy on Mac OS. You have to do an update about that, it's unplayable as soon as you have a lot of building in the world.

My game seems to get incredibly laggy whenever I'm hitting many enemies at once or a boss with many segments like the destroyer or any of the wyverns. I don't know what the issue is but it always seems to be when I or any of my friends hit a lot of enemies at once. The game goes in slow motion on my screen but the server loads enemy movement at regular speed so it's like I always have the slow debuff when I'm in combat. Is there anything I can do as of now to prevent this? I've tried turning everything as low as it can go, turning off the minimap, and going into single player mode but nothing seems to work.

My game seems to get incredibly laggy whenever I'm hitting many enemies at once or a boss with many segments like the destroyer or any of the wyverns. I don't know what the issue is but it always seems to be when I or any of my friends hit a lot of enemies at once. The game goes in slow motion on my screen but the server loads enemy movement at regular speed so it's like I always have the slow debuff when I'm in combat. Is there anything I can do as of now to prevent this
That mac alright. Try turning down resolution and switching on frame skipping. It will be a tab bit more snappy but playable. =P

Back
Top Bottom