Switch Terraria on the switch - Constant crashing

Lystatt

Official Terrarian
I have tried several times, in expert mode, to kill the destroyer as well as the other two mechanical bosses, and every time I get anywhere near killing said boss, literally less than 1000 health left, the game crashes or freezes, the most frustrating thing is that me and my friend have tried to remove any potential sources of lag, like torches and the like, and yet it still crashes, It's become a considerable waste of potions and the like, and it never used to happen until the most recent update, it's really really frustrating and it's literally ruining this game for us, I think I'm gonna need to take a break from this game for a while, it's already hard enough considering we're mediocre players at best and it's sorta heart wrenching, I don't know if there's something we could do differently to remove the lag or if we should just wait until a new update.

I have tried several times, in expert mode, to kill the destroyer as well as the other two mechanical bosses, and every time I get anywhere near killing said boss, literally less than 1000 health left, the game crashes or freezes, the most frustrating thing is that me and my friend have tried to remove any potential sources of lag, like torches and the like, and yet it still crashes, It's become a considerable waste of potions and the like, and it never used to happen until the most recent update, it's really really frustrating and it's literally ruining this game for us, I think I'm gonna need to take a break from this game for a while, it's already hard enough considering we're mediocre players at best and it's sorta heart wrenching, I don't know if there's something we could do differently to remove the lag or if we should just wait until a new update.
I wish I could help you. Unfortunately I see a lot of posts like this. It seems that when they fix things with an update other things just break instead.

Hopefully someone comes along with some actual suggestions.

My only thought is that maybe you should try beating the bosses solo without your friend. I wonder if that would make a difference.

I’ve been having a lot of issues since the new update on switch too. My game freezes when using the star wrath and crashes at a certain point when at the eastern ocean

I’ve been having a lot of issues since the new update on switch too. My game freezes when using the star wrath and crashes at a certain point when at the eastern ocean
Hi there @Lystatt and @Nipsahen, sorry to hear of these issues, that sounds really frustrating.

One thing that a few other players have said helps is playing docked. Another thing (that won’t help you on this playthrough, but to keep in mind for the future) is playing on smaller worlds. The large worlds can have a tough time with performance. If you’re already docked or already playing in a small world, and it’s still happening, sorry that those workarounds didn’t have good results.

If you haven’t already, I encourage you to send as many details about this to Pipeworks (the console developers) here: Terraria: Console & Mobile Bug Form The more that they can get info about players’ issues and what you’re experiencing the better they can hopefully address it for future updates.

Last edited:
Hi there @Lystatt and @Nipsahen, sorry to hear of these issues, that sounds really frustrating.

One thing that may help that a few others have said helps is playing docked. Another thing (that won’t help you on this playthrough, but to keep in mind for the future) is playing on smaller worlds. The large worlds can have a tough time with performance. If you’re already docked or already playing in a small world, and it’s still happening, sorry that those workarounds didn’t have good results.

If you haven’t already, I encourage you to send as many details about this to Pipeworks (the console developers) here: Terraria: Console & Mobile Bug Form The more that they can get info about players’ issues and what they’re experiencing the better they can hopefully address it for future updates.

If performance runs better on docked does this mean it could suffer on the switch Lite?

I was about to get my wife a switch Lite but if certain games are going to suffer I'll just fork over the extra $100.

If performance runs better on docked does this mean it could suffer on the switch Lite?

I was about to get my wife a switch Lite but if certain games are going to suffer I'll just fork over the extra $100.
the lite is built to run as a handheld and will (most likely) have computing power equivalent to a docked switch but as far as I know nobody knows if games run better or worse on the lite (besides the lite is a different beast than the regular switch)

I’m not sure. I don’t know of how the Lite handles Terraria (or any other games) versus a full Switch. All I can go on is that some players have better experience if their Switch is docked versus undocked.

Hi there @Nipsahen, just following up with some new info. If you crash at the ocean on the right, a workaround is to zoom all the way out.

Back
Top Bottom