Terraria: Otherworld Terraria: Otherworld - An Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, that is cool and all.. but it doesn't seem to warrant a completely new game, especially if it's going to be so similar already.
Terraria's engine is also pretty old. I'm betting there's quite a few features in Otherworld that just aren't possible to do in Terraria.

EDIT: @Derpinator-9000 and I apparently are eye-to-eye on both reasons and timing. :cool:

You kiddin' me? What's so bad about their PR?
PR=Public Relations. And whats bad about it is that it is nearly non existent. They make like one post every 4 months leaving their customers hanging in the wind. They make enough money that they could spare to hire someone just for PR.

PR is not only when a company or an individual makes a mistake and then needs to clean up a mess.

Last edited:
PR=Public Relations. And whats bad about it is that it is nearly non existent. They make like one post every 4 months leaving their customers hanging in the wind. They make enough money that they could spare to hire someone just for PR.

PR is not only when a company or an individual makes a mistake and then needs to clean up a mess.
They interact with the community a lot, its news for 1.3.1 and Otherworld that they need to work on. It was perfectly fine at first. Like 5 spoilers a month. Now its a spoiler every 5 months

We are plenty interactive - I get that it isn't as much as you want, but to insinuate that we aren't just isn't the case. 100% response rate, 20m on FB.....I personally respond to every message I receive, check the forums 2-3x a day.....Cenx has been known to pop up a random spoiler, etc.....on top of the news cadence and such.

As for specific news, we provide it when we have it and are confident in it. It does no good to produce news and spoilers otherwise. Couple that with the insane level of stuff happening on a daily basis and we just do not have the time to sit around and chat for hours right now - as that pulls time from all of that "stuff". ;)

My hope is that after 1.3.1 is out - and a few other things - that we will be able to take a breath and take some time to hang out with everyone before diving head-long into more stuff. Hey, I can dream right? :p

As for TOW news or 1.3.1 news - see above. When we have news or such to share, we never hold back. As we noted in this thread, we needed to push TOW back to work on things....when we feel confident in sharing more stuff, we absolutely will. :) As for 1.3.1, we have a tradition of never spoiling everything..... :)

All that said, I'm around every day off and on - so if you want interaction, you know where to find me.

Sorry if any of the busy-ness and the knock on effects to not being able to hang out as much is disappointing you guys. :(

One question is it releasing on console at the same time? If not then the zombies:):) will get to all pc players! Just kidding!

We are plenty interactive - I get that it isn't as much as you want, but to insinuate that we aren't just isn't the case. 100% response rate, 20m on FB.....I personally respond to every message I receive, check the forums 2-3x a day.....Cenx has been known to pop up a random spoiler, etc.....on top of the news cadence and such.

As for specific news, we provide it when we have it and are confident in it. It does no good to produce news and spoilers otherwise. Couple that with the insane level of stuff happening on a daily basis and we just do not have the time to sit around and chat for hours right now - as that pulls time from all of that "stuff". ;)

My hope is that after 1.3.1 is out - and a few other things - that we will be able to take a breath and take some time to hang out with everyone before diving head-long into more stuff. Hey, I can dream right? :p

As for TOW news or 1.3.1 news - see above. When we have news or such to share, we never hold back. As we noted in this thread, we needed to push TOW back to work on things....when we feel confident in sharing more stuff, we absolutely will. :) As for 1.3.1, we have a tradition of never spoiling everything..... :)

All that said, I'm around every day off and on - so if you want interaction, you know where to find me.

Sorry if any of the busy-ness and the knock on effects to not being able to hang out as much is disappointing you guys. :(
Well its not your guy's fault that your busy, its just life, so don't be sorry about it. Honestly I'm sure that a lot of people will be satisfied after Otherworld and 1.3.1 are released. Im sure you all need a long break before you work on more things :p. I think the main reason a lot of people are upset is the time between spoilers. Honestly, I am confident for any spoilers you release :p. No matter how small it is, even something little like a single weapon or even a single block would be cool. Anyways keep working hard. Maybe if you guys have time, we can get a Otherworld spoiler soon. I'm sure tons of people would love that :)

I think I've only ever been replied to once on the Terraria FB page out of five or six questions lol. Given the average response rate of admins on FB pages, that's still pretty impressive lol.

The issue with the PR isn't that they aren't interactive enough with things we actively ask for as opposed to things we normally expect to hear like "Yeah, things are going smooth", "Soon* ", "We started a drinking game in our time off that revolves around how often people mention TOW", "We've run into some unexpected problems, but things are still on schedule."

All of the answers we get are vague and don't give us much to work with regarding the main questions we want to see because they generate the next tier of question "Okay, but how soon is soon* ?" afterward, which is the reason we felt like we're left hanging. We're stuck in this endless loop of questions and frustration because of the fact that we're not getting any direct information that can feed us and lead us towards the train station where we can board the train to Hypeville.

Here's a list of a few FAQs I'll make here with some additional input.

Q: "When is TOW coming out?"
A: "It's being worked on, but there's no official release date yet."

This is acceptable answer, yes, but leads to the next question.

Q: "Is there a release window for TOW?"
A: "It's being worked on. We're going to release it when it's ready to release."

This is also acceptable, but it's essentially the same as saying "Release is between soon* and never." which leads us to stress that we're not getting any gratification for a game we're all mentally invested for here.

Q: "We've barely gotten any spoilers for the game in the last 6 months. Why don't you give us some?"
A: "We don't really have enough content to spoil and also feel like spoilers will ruin the peoples' first experience with the game."

Here's where things start getting more dicey and will annoy people. Here we have two answers, one actually being direct and another based on developer opinion that's an avoidable situation.

• Telling us that you don't have enough content you feel is enough to share with the community after 6 months is going to make us feel like you haven't been putting any effort into development and effectively kills hype that the community might generate.
  • I'm not going to go to deep with this one because opinions create controversy, however the reason we're asking for spoilers is that we want to have some stuff spoiled for us for the very specific reason of making us excited about the game. As for the people who don't want to see spoilers, it's entirely their option to avoid them. Had the first choice originally been 'No Spoilers" this may not have come up as an issue. Having been spoiled previously and then having the spoiler embargo placed on us is creating a negative atmosphere and puts both the devs and community in a bad light.

One last thing I'm going to address is the state of the TOW subreddit. It's nearly dead, tot he point that it's not unusualy to see people talk about it in the Terraria subreddit because the chance of a response is much higher there. I just felt like pointing this out.

I think I've only ever been replied to once on the Terraria FB page out of five or six questions lol. Given the average response rate of admins on FB pages, that's still pretty impressive lol.

The issue with the PR isn't that they aren't interactive enough with things we actively ask for as opposed to things we normally expect to hear like "Yeah, things are going smooth", "Soon* ", "We started a drinking game in our time off that revolves around how often people mention TOW", "We've run into some unexpected problems, but things are still on schedule."

All of the answers we get are vague and don't give us much to work with regarding the main questions we want to see because they generate the next tier of question "Okay, but how soon is soon* ?" afterward, which is the reason we felt like we're left hanging. We're stuck in this endless loop of questions and frustration because of the fact that we're not getting any direct information that can feed us and lead us towards the train station where we can board the train to Hypeville.

A: "It's being worked on. We're going to release it when it's ready to release."

This is also acceptable, but it's essentially the same as saying "Release is between soon* and never." which leads us to stress that we're not getting any gratification for a game we're all mentally invested for here.

Q: "We've barely gotten any spoilers for the game in the last 6 months. Why don't you give us some?"
A: "We don't really have enough content to spoil and also feel like spoilers will ruin the peoples' first experience with the game."

Here's where things start getting more dicey and will annoy people. Here we have two answers, one actually being direct and another based on developer opinion that's an avoidable situation.

• Telling us that you don't have enough content you feel is enough to share with the community after 6 months is going to make us feel like you haven't been putting any effort into development and effectively kills hype that the community might generate.
  • I'm not going to go to deep with this one because opinions create controversy, however the reason we're asking for spoilers is that we want to have some stuff spoiled for us for the very specific reason of making us excited about the game. As for the people who don't want to see spoilers, it's entirely their option to avoid them. Had the first choice originally been 'No Spoilers" this may not have come up as an issue. Having been spoiled previously and then having the spoiler embargo placed on us is creating a negative atmosphere and puts both the devs and community in a bad light.

One last thing I'm going to address is the state of the TOW subreddit. It's nearly dead, tot he point that it's not unusualy to see people talk about it in the Terraria subreddit because the chance of a response is much higher there. I just felt like pointing this out.
I agree with this completely. If people don't want spoilers ( Like my friend ) they will not look at them, which he is doing

Every one of those answers given is dead-on 100% accurate - that *IS* the release status. Re-Logic tries to avoid the game of "release date roulette" which then inevitably leads to: A: Rushing the game to hit some date. B: Missing said date and then the torches and pitchfoks and tinfoil hats come out. We do admittedly like to share stuff with you guys when we can and are comfortable with it - be it spoilers or dates or whatever - but any expectations on timing that this creates is out of our hands. In the case of TOW, we DID say that we hoped/planned on 2015, however....that was placed right after the one thing we will never compromise on:

Our plan – and we do not intend to compromise on this – is to release a “full/finished” game at launch. As such, we do not want to yet give any arbitrary dates or timing. However, our goal is to have Terraria: Otherworld available – as a full game – in 2015. We will absolutely not be participating in an Early Access program.

As such, we wanted to be clear as 2015 ended that - obviously - 2015 wasn't happening. Thus the goal is now 2016. When it will actually be will depend on the underlined bit in the quote above. That is probably frustrating to the hype train riders - but the focus is squarely on how the game plays when you have it over the hype train. ;)

We provided a video in this thread with Crimson, a new boss, and swing grappling (around 2 months ago) - and those are some pretty tasty and big spoilers indeed. Granted it isn't at the pace of "little stuff regularly" from before - but its still pretty meaty. As I noted earlier, we have always provided spoilers as we are comfortable -for TOW as well as Terraria itself. Sometimes that is at a fast and furious pace....and sometimes less so. What doesn't change is our approach internally to those - similarly to the philosophy for the games themselves.

I'm not going to go to deep with this one because opinions create controversy, however the reason we're asking for spoilers is that we want to have some stuff spoiled for us for the very specific reason of making us excited about the game. As for the people who don't want to see spoilers, it's entirely their option to avoid them. Had the first choice originally been 'No Spoilers" this may not have come up as an issue. Having been spoiled previously and then having the spoiler embargo placed on us is creating a negative atmosphere and puts both the devs and community in a bad light.

There is no embargo per se. There is nothing that we want to spoil right now that is in a place where we are happy with spoiling it. No conspiracy here, just that. Of course we believe in the power of spoilers and hype. I think people know us well enough at this point to not think we are anti-spoiler or something. We are just selective about what we use for those.

Anyway, that's it plain and simple. That may satisfy some and frustrate others - but we try our level best to stick to our guiding principles...after all, they tend to deliver experiences that are satisfying to everyone in the end. :) As for TOW, we will absolutely keep everyone in the loop as it moves along - spoilers and news included - just as soon as we are good with what we are sharing.

Cheers

Every one of those answers given is dead-on 100% accurate - that *IS* the release status. Re-Logic tries to avoid the game of "release date roulette" which then inevitably leads to: A: Rushing the game to hit some date. B: Missing said date and then the torches and pitchfoks and tinfoil hats come out. We do admittedly like to share stuff with you guys when we can and are comfortable with it - be it spoilers or dates or whatever - but any expectations on timing that this creates is out of our hands. In the case of TOW, we DID say that we hoped/planned on 2015, however....that was placed right after the one thing we will never compromise on:

As such, we wanted to be clear as 2015 ended that - obviously - 2015 wasn't happening. Thus the goal is now 2016. When it will actually be will depend on the underlined bit in the quote above. That is probably frustrating to the hype train riders - but the focus is squarely on how the game plays when you have it over the hype train. ;)

We provided a video in this thread with Crimson, a new boss, and swing grappling (around 2 months ago) - and those are some pretty tasty and big spoilers indeed. Granted it isn't at the pace of "little stuff regularly" from before - but its still pretty meaty. As I noted earlier, we have always provided spoilers as we are comfortable -for TOW as well as Terraria itself. Sometimes that is at a fast and furious pace....and sometimes less so. What doesn't change is our approach internally to those - similarly to the philosophy for the games themselves.

There is no embargo per se. There is nothing that we want to spoil right now that is in a place where we are happy with spoiling it. No conspiracy here, just that. Of course we believe in the power of spoilers and hype. I think people know us well enough at this point to not think we are anti-spoiler or something. We are just selective about what we use for those.

Anyway, that's it plain and simple. That may satisfy some and frustrate others - but we try our level best to stick to our guiding principles...after all, they tend to deliver experiences that are satisfying to everyone in the end. :) As for TOW, we will absolutely keep everyone in the loop as it moves along - spoilers and news included - just as soon as we are good with what we are sharing.

Cheers
Well, Im satisfied. Crimother is a boss comfirmed :p

Re-Logic's PR is dismal at best. They really need to get their s**t together on that front.

I've seen a company give a release date, not release it on said release date, wait a month after said release date before putting out a statement saying it was delayed (just that it was delayed, no reasons why), and then say nothing about the game for 3 years.

Trust me, Re-Logic's PR is not bad.

In all honesty, I'm really happy with how Re-Logic has handled this situation. They had a goal of releasing T:OW in 2015 if possible, but were very upfront about not releasing it until they were certain the game was polished and finished. When the end of 2015 came around they updated all of us about the current situation and why it wasn't released yet (based on their previous reasoning). And this is all because they don't want to give us some rushed, poorly coded glitch-fest of a game. They want their customers to have a finely tuned product to enjoy to the fullest (after all, we wouldn't want T:OW to be like Sonic'06 :dryadnaughty:)

As for spoilers. Re-Logic has been really good about the spoilers they give. They give people a taste of the game without ruining the fun of discovering it. A lack of spoilers does not in any way, shape, or form indicate that they're not working hard on the game or they have no content. It most likely means A) They are debating on whether a certain spoiler would spoil too much, B) They are debating on whether a certain spoiler is a good idea at all, or C) They're so busy working on the game that they haven't had the time to be able to decide on a good spoiler. Here's the way I see spoilers: Look at them if you want to; be happy if/when they come. Re-Logic (and any other company) is not required to give spoilers, they just do it because they know there are people who appreciate them.

What do I have to say to Re-Logic? I've seen a lot of companies that truly have bad standards and lackluster public relations. Thanks for being such a great game development group. I wish more companies would follow suit, they'd have way more success. Keep it up! :happy::dryadhappy::merchanthappy::nursehappy:~:happy:`:happy::red:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom