Terraria: Otherworld Terraria Otherworld: Bringing You Up to Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
But no spoilers have shown up in 6 months... :p
Would it be ill-spirited from me to point out how nicely, kindly, and politely we asked for spoilers as of late? It might be but please reflect on how nicely, kindly, and politely the spoilers are asked for by the community. I won't post a list of what we shouldn't have said as it would not be much better and I've already posted too much on this thread but... really. I don't know if we deserved spoilers as a whole.

I have to symphatise somewhat with IMainMudkip and Necrius both.

First of all, Necrius I have no idea how fans have been trying to plead for information, nor do I think it matters the developers at all seeing as the first installment is a settled game with many sales. Certainly the words of a few people don't change anything. They have better things to be bothered about.

While they have no obligations at all, some things can be said about what is smart during development. I mean... they DID announce the game is in development so it would be wise to consistently (once in 3 months at least, anything) put out small tidbits of information, even if would be just a small heads up like: "still going strong, we're pushing some interesting mechanics to the game right now... wait until you see them!" This will keep past fans hyped and interested in the game.

The way things are currently going suggests there are definitely certain hurdles that make the developers uncertain of the project as a whole. Therefore only a handful of interest is maintained, the interest you see on this forum, twitter and Facebook. In short: There is almost no talk about the game.

That means the game is probably not releasing anytime soon. Could take a year, probably more. Them not being honest about this suggests certain problems on the road. Thus they are not ready to announce anything.

Why? Because they would like to sell the game when it is releasing, they want to maintain interest as I stated earlier. Re-logic is after all, a business that creates products. If I understand it correctly there is something of a collaboration going on with Terraria: Otherworld which makes matters even more complicated.

The way information is supposed to go out needs to be balanced and carefully selected, Re-logic knows this. The sluggish way of any information is... troubling. Radio silence is not a smart tactic or anything if release is somewhat near and does not show a really strong or reliable message at all.

(But please, feel free to prove otherwise)

Last edited:
Them not being honest
Really I don't think they're dishonest or anything, there have been setbacks and what they're working on now is either so enormous they need a lot of time, or so not our business we don't have to know it (devs have lives, and there is also more to development than just writing code, especially when collaborating with others). There is also the possibility that what they are doing right now is much needed but not that spectacular and they don't want the community to spit on it.

some things can be said about what is smart during development
To be honest, if I was on the team, I would feel insulted to be told this.

It appears to be obvious the delays and there being no spoilers are not them "forgetting" or "not wanting to" (although "not wanting to" would be a perfectly reasonable choice), so it must be something else. And if it is something else and they don't tell us, there must be a reason too. I just feel like we don't respect much people who have as of yet just given, and asked nothing of us, or at most to buy their game, which is cheap and can be played for very long, without ever forcing us to do anything.
I feel like I'm beaning, or becoming a "teacher's pet" or whatever. But please. Let us all just look back at the old spoilers and smile.

Blinks, with the right graphics card and RAM, probably.

Also, delays happen all the time. While I haven't worked behind the scenes of any video game though I hope to someday, to what little knowledge I have usually these kinds of things I'm assuming delays occur when something in a game occurs that causes a bump in a road, like something unexpected happening during playtesting or glitches in mechanics that require some ironing out. I would actually be surprised to not see delays in a game as big as this due to the sheer amount of coding put into it.

Would it be ill-spirited from me to point out how nicely, kindly, and politely we asked for spoilers as of late? It might be but please reflect on how nicely, kindly, and politely the spoilers are asked for by the community. I won't post a list of what we shouldn't have said as it would not be much better and I've already posted too much on this thread but... really. I don't know if we deserved spoilers as a whole.
Though we have asked nicely and politely, our asking does not fit whatever reasons they cannot show a spoiler. As Loki said, they are not going to say anything until they are completely sure of it. The silence is frustrating, but i know it is necessary. :sigh:

As we have covered - silence has been unfortunate, but necessary. If anyone thinks we WANTED to have to run silent since saying we wouldn't...well, that doesn't really stand up to either logic or our long track record with our community.

What doesn't stand up to logic is acknowledging the silence as a problem and then backing out after claiming to be fixing the situation. I don't believe any ill will is meant, you all are good people, but I do believe a serious lack of basic communication skills has always existed with Relogic. People can claim whatever they want in regards as to why there has been so much silence but the fact of the matter is that this level of silence isn't necessary. Even if it's legal trouble, development trouble, the project is cancelled, there are still easy ways to create a timeline for communication and stick with it. Once a month we'll give you some sort of update be it "hey can't talk much about what we worked on but it's coming" or "we've hit some bumps in the road we hope to elaborate on further."

I'm a huge fan of Terraria and Relogic, but the fans and both previous and potential customers have been massively let down by these issues. We've gotten more sidestepping posts about why there is silence than we've got actual communication and Loki I'd have thought better of you than to try and turn the tables on this situation. It hurts to say but the only track record we have is massive chunks of inactivity and unresponsiveness that are occasionally interrupted by an update happening. Please; let's figure out a way to end the silence.

What doesn't stand up to logic is acknowledging the silence as a problem and then backing out after claiming to be fixing the situation.
Acknowledging a problem doesn't fix it and they seem to have their hands full with whatever causes it. If they can't or really don't want to talk about the source of the delays, it's not gonna do much good to have someone or even a bot post "can't say much" each week. Obviously the silence will end with a normal update, an enormous update full of spoilers, or the game itself some time. Our time could be much better used speculating what could come than complaining stuff is not there yet (and perhaps it IS, but we just don't know).

Trying to keep a positive and friendly attitude; it's true that delays suck, but we are not entitled to spoilers, news or even the game itself. We haven't paid for anything yet.

People can claim whatever they want in regards as to why there has been so much silence but the fact of the matter is that this level of silence isn't necessary. Even if it's legal trouble, development trouble, the project is cancelled, there are still easy ways to create a timeline for communication and stick with it. Once a month we'll give you some sort of update be it "hey can't talk much about what we worked on but it's coming" or "we've hit some bumps in the road we hope to elaborate on further."

Really easy in theory. In actual practice, things take time to come together - and often, speaking too soon before that time is taken causes more issues than silence would. It might be safe to assume that we are smart enough to discern which is which. In life - and game development - stuff happens. Plans are great, but as a general once said, they are valid up until the first shot in battle is fired. ;)

Acknowledging a problem doesn't fix it and they seem to have their hands full with whatever causes it. If they can't or really don't want to talk about the source of the delays, it's not gonna do much good to have someone or even a bot post "can't say much" each week

This^. I don't think for 5 seconds that a generic post that says "don't sweat, we are working on it" every week would do one bit of good. People want REAL updates on progress, not meaningless platitudes. So, that's the focus - but, again, that takes time.

I'm a huge fan of Terraria and Relogic, but the fans and both previous and potential customers have been massively let down by these issues. We've gotten more sidestepping posts about why there is silence than we've got actual communication and Loki I'd have thought better of you than to try and turn the tables on this situation. It hurts to say but the only track record we have is massive chunks of inactivity and unresponsiveness that are occasionally interrupted by an update happening

I'm sorry that you feel disappointed or let down - certainly not anything anyone here wants. An unfortunate side effect of the necessary silence, I'm afraid. I'm not turning tables on anyone. I actually completely understand how you guys feel, I empathize with those feelings. All I am trying to do is to be as straight with you as humanly possible while admitting that there are things that I cannot speak to yet. My overall point is that the rhetoric used goes way too far too often, and that one could safely assume that we are no more happy about said silence than any of you are - that doesn't also mean that it hasn't been necessary. Not making excuses, not saying feeling frustrated isn't valid, simply sharing a perspective from the other side.

If that came off otherwise, then accept my apologies for miscommunicating. :)

Ok lets begin. As I said before "Sounds Like a lie", but since you have replyied, Now i have no doubt anymore, specially when the reply comes from Loki God of the discord, or trickster, cheater and so on, why have you choose Loki??? i am very curious about it.

Here goes the backup:

• 7 months of silence, as know in some culture as "cri cri" - sound of cricket
  • "Game not close to good enough to hit our standards and your expectations for what it could and should be" This is the most generic, standard, marketing execuse of them all, lack of creativity, what raise a huge distrust, Terraria a game full of creativity, and a annoucement full of regreet, with a political stantard speech? come on, even you can do better.... I am pretty sure if exists a guide to game announcement,this excuse will be there, every single game company said this, every single time..... so boring.....
  • The way you talk about Engine Software, suggest there is a deep trouble, and probaly by force of contract they even cant defend himself against re-logic insults.
Here goes the solution:

• TRUTH - I am pretty sure, nobody will care about wherever happenned. in my opnion, the truth no matter how hard is, will construct a deep bond of trust, try once and you will see.
"everyone else is naive" - dont be so confident and giddy, i am sure than 90% or even more, simple dont care, and will be happy with anything. use this with lambs, not lions.

Try to answer that, doubt you can do this with solid arguments and material evidence. Just between us C#? really?

The worst part is that you have to do by yourself...... https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/changing-of-the-guard-an-update-from-otherworld.56207/

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
LOki Joke of the century, what about now?

Its soooooooo goooood to be rigth :)

Its soooooooo goooood to be rigth :)
Although I have no choice but to agree with you on this, it DOES feel good to be right, could you explain what makes you right to those of us who do not have this Monk prestige class allowing one to jump as far as we want and applying it to conclusions?
As Daz 2 put it last time:
The thing is; would ANY evidence be fit for you?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom