Terraria: Otherworld - Post-GDC Details & Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I am not mistaken, in a trailer the weapon was shown: flare pistol, 5 types of swords, flame thrower, arbalest, unknown magic weapon and 3 picks...

I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but I don't know why the features in this game couldn't have just been added to Terraria instead of making an entirely separate game for them.

Otherworld looks nice, but they said it themselves aside from the story the game is basically Terraria. The only other major difference I can see is that the world starts with more corruption and you can build turrets.

As for the leveling aspect, there's already mods that add more RPG elements to Terraria such as Terraria Leveled, so it stands to reason that it wouldn't be overly difficult to implement it into the full game.

I'm sure they could even add it to the game as an alternative game mode on the menu.

Regardless, this is all just my opinion. I just think it's silly that they're reskinning the game to add a handful of mechanics that could easily just be implemented in a patch like the rest of their content.

I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but I don't know why the features in this game couldn't have just been added to Terraria instead of making an entirely separate game for them.

Otherworld looks nice, but they said it themselves aside from the story the game is basically Terraria. The only other major difference I can see is that the world starts with more corruption and you can build turrets.

As for the leveling aspect, there's already mods that add more RPG elements to Terraria such as Terraria Leveled, so it stands to reason that it wouldn't be overly difficult to implement it into the full game.

I'm sure they could even add it to the game as an alternative game mode on the menu.

Regardless, this is all just my opinion. I just think it's silly that they're reskinning the game to add a handful of mechanics that could easily just be implemented in a patch like the rest of their content.
It couldn't hurt to add more stuff. Besides, if they're just going to add it as a gamemode to the original Terraria, where's the fun in that?

Its not just a reskin though, It has a whole new engine and new features that are probably impossible to implement in Terraria without... well, remaking the entire game. Even if these features could be added to Terraria, it would be a very bad idea to suddenly change the focus and design of a game like this. They would also be forced to use the same items and enemies as we have in Terraria now, otherwise it would basically be a separate game. In the end, moving on is just easier and smarter then being stuck in the past.

Just for starters; it sounds like the world cleansing and defense design of the towers allows and relies upon creatures spawning simultaneously all over the world. While this does happen in servers to a degree, this may not necessarily translate to the system in place here. Adding this sort of real-time global mob spawning would add a huge strain on Terraria Prime.

The point of the game is to focus on cleansing the Corruption; in Terraria Prime, doing so was more or less optional, as long as you kept it from your base. It appears to me as if progress through the game, from start to finish, will be associated with purifying the corruption . . . that would require a complete overhaul of the ENTIRE tier and progression system of T1. Sometimes you just can't cram certain things in without messing everything else up.

Finally, you mention tossing RPG elements as an alternate game mode . . . well, maybe they WANT a Terraria that is entirely built around that, rather than a side-feature that plays second fiddle to the whole game?

I think you may overestimate just how difficult some of these feature may be to implement into a game with so much established content. T:OW is being built from the ground up to accommodate these things . . . everything about T1 would have to be massively overhauled to handle the incorporation of these features. And T1 is showing its age at this point, you can see just by looking at how fantastic T:OW looks . . . the technology has grown, the team has grown, Relogic himself has had years to grow and learn as a creator. T:OW could never have been possible when T1 was created with the people who were involved at the time, and adding this stuff to T1 would completely demolish years of stability and design that were never intended to accommodate them.

Awesome! I like the new concepts and gameplay mechanics there. I also really like the new music. I hope to hear more like it in the game.

I sort of suspect that Terraria: Otherworld is sort of a chance to experiment with new ideas before Terraria 2... but I could be completely wrong.

Hurry up and sell me this game right now, while i still have the money to buy it!

watching this trailer in fullscreem ( ran a lil choppy i think on my connections ) but i was wondering, after seeing how well the new details on the 'Sprites' Character , if you might have thought about trying out a Cell Shaded aspect, seems like this could be a great game to utilize cel shading ( which i must admit, ive hated ever since the drastic change to Link that Wind waker did, but as the use went on, games liek borderlands now has me sold that if done right, cel shadeing can still make awesome grafics/animations), if nothing else alot of Cel Shaded "poof clouds' or spell effects such as particle densities on collisions and such, might add a more fluid moving visual experiance. but what do i know, jsut a sudgestion i thougth of while noticing, how these Otherword trailer is showin off Prettier backgrounds and character modles.
might not hurt to try cel shaded animations (liek how world of warcraft fansite use modle veiwers) ona blank/black or generic terraria(otherworld) background. if they turnout looking good, you could even offer a cuurent vs cel shade Vote off on here., or even various GFX options rangeing from original terraria >otherworld> hell lets go with 8-bit mode!

ok, well my first post, and boy was it a rant full of spelling errors and worse, but does it warrant me a pre-order at least =P
Keep up the good work guys, i expect you to steal hours upon hours of my life from me

---Hest---

*ps Somone buy me a ps4, so i can complete my terraria all Platform Collection. with one final Terraria Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom