Terraria: Otherworld - Post-GDC Details & Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rudi!!! I know I'm being a :red: by asking so much about details that certainly belong only to the team, but, are you using any famous media libraries?(such as sfml, sdl , allegro) or are you guys writing everything from scratch(wrapping some opengl, and functions to handle keyboard input and so on)

Reason is, I myself am trying to get into game development, (learning a bit about serialization atm to be honest) so questions like this about "what kind of tools my favourite devs use" happen to come into my mind frequently, since you're all so close to the community, I cant help but ask them.

Sorry for being annoying

edit: Ah, I got it

We are not using sfml, sdl, allegro or any of that. As I said we write our own tech. We have used Box2D for phsyics before but not in this game since the physics are custom. I guess the only library we are using is OGG Vorbis for the music and LUA for scripting.

I can't wait for this game, and the mods that make too op purifying towers!

Anyway, I have 3 questions:
1. Will it be avalible on Steam?
2. Is there a maximum cap on the skilltrees?
3. Can i level up all the skills to max (if there is one)?

There are many posts about new things people want to see in Terraria: Otherworld, so I figured it would be important to mention some things that I hope stay the same. Let's face it, Terraria is wildly successful, so it must be doing something right. For TOW to be as successful or more, it should introduce new aspects to the Terraria World without deviating too much from its core principles that made the original so successful. Here are the things that IMO made the original Terraria such a good game:

1. Doors are never shut on the player. In other words, at no point in the game did you ever have to make a decision that would prevent you from doing something else later in the game. There is a very annoying trend in video game development lately where devs think that players want to make exclusionary choices in video games. Choose option A or option B. Once you do, you can't have the other and there's no going back. SCREW THAT! I want it all! I HATE exclusivity in video games! I'm very glad to see that there will be no class system in Terraria: Otherworlds. I hope that also means that if my character becomes a master of swords, there's nothing to prevent him from later becoming a master with a bow or magic.

2. The game is fun in multiplayer, but everything is still achievable in single player. This is very important because having to rely on other people to achieve your objectives in the game cheapens the victory to me. I want to feel like a BAMF that fought tooth and nail to get to the top, without any assistance. That and I can't commit to a regular schedule to play with other gamers.

3. The game has a deep, tiered progression system. I loved the logical sense of increasing your character's power via scavenging for certain materials, only to build equipment that allowed you to acquire better materials, repeated to end-game level equipment. It's not tedious at all when the game is as rich and diverse as Terraria. And that progression system need not only apply to ores, but could also work with fishing, growing, harvesting, crafting tools, and boss loot. In fact, I love it when the progression requirements are strictly enforced via game mechanics (e.g. gold pickaxe required for cobalt mining, cobalt pickaxe required for mythril mining, mythril pickaxe required for adamantite mining, etc.)

4. Resources are virtually unlimited. Terraria was very good about making some things very hard to acquire in the game, yet not making the player worry about exhausting all the resources required to obtain them. This is kind of related to #1 from this list, in that I don't want any doors shut on me. While it was technically possible to completely mine all of a certain ore in one world, it wasn't a problem since you could still get more from another world. If TOW doesn't allow world hopping like Terraria did, then I hope to see some mechanism that makes all resources renewable. (It's ok if that process is difficult. Just because something is unlimited doesn't mean it can't be rare and valuable)

Anyways, I'm very much looking forward to the new game and all the new additions. I hope these new features don't contradict any of the principles that made the original so great!

I can't wait for this game, and the mods that make too op purifying towers!

Anyway, I have 3 questions:
1. Will it be avalible on Steam?
2. Is there a maximum cap on the skilltrees?
3. Can i level up all the skills to max (if there is one)?

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

1. Doors are never shut on the player. In other words, at no point in the game did you ever have to make a decision that would prevent you from doing something else later in the game. There is a very annoying trend in video game development lately where devs think that players want to make exclusionary choices in video games. Choose option A or option B. Once you do, you can't have the other and there's no going back. SCREW THAT! I want it all! I HATE exclusivity in video games! I'm very glad to see that there will be no class system in Terraria: Otherworlds. I hope that also means that if my character becomes a master of swords, there's nothing to prevent him from later becoming a master with a bow or magic.
Likewise. In terms of game play / mechanics there will never be any doors shut. If you become a master Swordsman, there is nothing stopping you from mastering Bows, or Spears, or Magic. There might be some story elements you won't get (as described before, the story branches off) but that goes for any given playthrough and is not always based on what you - as the player - do. In general, that works more like the alternative ores in Terraria...you either have A or B.
2. The game is fun in multiplayer, but everything is still achievable in single player. This is very important because having to rely on other people to achieve your objectives in the game cheapens the victory to me. I want to feel like a BAMF that fought tooth and nail to get to the top, without any assistance. That and I can't commit to a regular schedule to play with other gamers.
I haven't played anything multiplayer since FFXI kinda died out myself...I am not a social gamer, I like to sit in my entertainment room and immerse myself, by myself, so no worries in regards to single player experience :)
3. The game has a deep, tiered progression system. I loved the logical sense of increasing your character's power via scavenging for certain materials, only to build equipment that allowed you to acquire better materials, repeated to end-game level equipment. It's not tedious at all when the game is as rich and diverse as Terraria. And that progression system need not only apply to ores, but could also work with fishing, growing, harvesting, crafting tools, and boss loot. In fact, I love it when the progression requirements are strictly enforced via game mechanics (e.g. gold pickaxe required for cobalt mining, cobalt pickaxe required for mythril mining, mythril pickaxe required for adamantite mining, etc.)
Lots of these 'natural' mechanics are still in Otherworld, it is still a Terraria game. The story and your actions have some impact on progression but those work *with* the natural progression, not instead of.
4. Resources are virtually unlimited. Terraria was very good about making some things very hard to acquire in the game, yet not making the player worry about exhausting all the resources required to obtain them. This is kind of related to #1 from this list, in that I don't want any doors shut on me. While it was technically possible to completely mine all of a certain ore in one world, it wasn't a problem since you could still get more from another world. If TOW doesn't allow world hopping like Terraria did, then I hope to see some mechanism that makes all resources renewable. (It's ok if that process is difficult. Just because something is unlimited doesn't mean it can't be rare and valuable)
It is very likely we will allow world hopping. I won't lie, balancing resources vs difficulty is a hard task...one of the better challenges in developing Otherworld. I don't see world hopping as breaking that though...

Last edited:
In Terraria, your side quest is to purge the world of The Corruption(Crimson)

THIS game starts with the whole world broken and corrupted, where you must cleanse it. I think this is a cool Concept.

Also the fact that any weapon can outclass another, regardless of type or base damage is another interesting concept, I also like the textures of these new "furniture" machines. (IE: The Purifying Towers and The Wartowers)

I'm so hyped for Otherworld, that I'm not sure what is going to my number one addiction...Terraria(1.3) or Otherworld
ogxxmq.jpg
!
nfqrg4.png

I have kinda wondered about the backstory behind the existing NPCs, even Enemies for Terraria. I am on YouTube, though have no videos, I have no direction to head ATM, perhaps I could make up a backstory, or make theories for these.

Whats with the Guide?
Whats his connection to The Wall Of Flesh?
Who Created the Voodoo Doll for the Guide and why?

What happened to the Old Man?
What is the Dungeon Guardian, and why did Skeletron curse and enslave the Old Man?

Where did the Dryad come from?

What's with The Twins?
is there a deeper meaning behind the Corruption, Crimson, and Hallow?

I just don't know what it is about this, but I don't entirely like the look of it, of corse this might change but the style, just doesn't seems for me

I posted this on twitter a while ago, but I realize not everyone uses twitter / follows me there (you should btw!) so let me repost this here:

zombies.jpg

Some people have made comments about how funky our zombies look...well as you can see from the concept art, it is because they have Cthulhian heads! This, btw, is no indication / reference or promise to the inclusion or involvement of Mr Squidhead himself...

I hope to see an ability to increase health to 600 or more permanently

Another question: what will the price range be?
50 - 100+
25 - 50
10 - 25
0 - 10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom