Official Terraria: Otherworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one has said that this is instead of Terraria 2.

Perhaps it's in addition to Terraria 2. :)
I get that and I love that Terraria 2 is even considered of being made, but I'd be much more excited about a real sequel announcement than of a "sidegrade" like this and I worry it'll make the wait for the real sequel much longer. WelI, I guess I hope I'll be positively surprised!

edit: Reading the posts, I guess the game's different enough for me to stop being so sceptical. <3

Last edited:
The environment design looks pretty good conceptually even with Alpha textures. The extradimensional threat of what appears to be an analogue of the Corruption is a very interesting bit of in-universe continuity. Remove eldritch abomination. It seems like this spinoff is more about direct confrontation with the malignant force holding the world hostage.

If the inclusion of strategy elements includes wide-scale conflict with this seemingly more pervasive enemy, then I'm very interested in the future.

I'm sure you guys have tought about the possibility of "accidentaly" killing Terraria, right? Like if 80% of the Terraria fanbase migrates to Otherworld. And even if that doesn't happen, Terraria will inevitably (imo) become a "I'll just check what's released and leave" type of experience. What do you, as developers, think about this?

Terraria - and all of the plans previously stated for it - remain alive and well. Was there an assumption it would be updated into a infinite time period and we would never do anything else ever? A game only ever "dies" if a gamer or gamers make it so. Terraria is not one iota different or worse than it would have been otherwise.

Again, I reiterate my earlier points on "we know Otherworld needs to be substantially different in regards to gameplay" - if we hit that goal, you now have two different and amazing takes on a franchise you love: the one you have now, and the one yet to come.

How is that a bad thing for anyone? :)

The announcement of Terraria: Otherworld implies that Terraria 2 is a myth ?.
This new project will be sold like Terraria? It is speculated that will consume resources?
This announcement means that Terraria 1.3 is next to be officially released?

Terraria 2 is still very much a "thing" - however, it is a "thing" that has not even begun development.

Remember guys, we can walk, chew gum, pat our heads, and rub our bellies all at once. ;)

Okay Loki, thanks for the answers, I didn't want to sound harsh or something, there's no need for this passive-aggressiveness, I'm just concerned about a game I love. I never said Terraria needs to be updated forever, just trying to clarify some things about the future of the game.

I've already hyped all over reddit and youtube, so I'm just gonna login for like 6 months and say this.
I honestly do not understand the people who say ''Herpa derp looks like starbound''
What did people first say when Terraria was released? That it looked like a 2D Minecraft, what did people say when Starbound was first released? That it looked like Terraria. Like stop comparing games to eachother, you don't hear anyone complain that COD and Battlefield are to similar, or heck every single 3D set with humans in it. Just because games share the same visuals doesn't mean that it's the same game.

As someone that has put over a 1000 hours into Minecraft, 450+ into Terraria and 100+ in Starbound I can say that the difference between those 3 games is ****king huge. So it just pisses me off when people complain about games looking to similar to other games.

To sum up everyone's reaction to this:
Blir5.gif

O6ZM6BN.gif

UJmQriL.gif

Okay Loki, thanks for the answers, I didn't want to sound harsh or something, there's no need for this passive-aggressiveness, I'm just concerned about a game I love. I never said Terraria needs to be updated forever, just trying to clarify some things about the future of the game.

Not trying for PA, trying for honesty. Apologies if it came off overly harsh...that line was more of a general statement towards some comments - not necessarily just yours.

Mea Culpa for coming off wrongly there. Appreciate your concern for and interest in the franchise's well being: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom