tModLoader Terraria Overhaul - Gameplay enhancements and much more

had to disable overhaul since last update due to some memory issues during hardmode (well it seems Tmodloader is having memory leaks from its last version or it was because i was playing with Google Chrome open, but that wasnt an issue before).

im gonna reactivate Overhaul for my new run as hopefully i will find some way to mitigate the RAM issues. however, i'd like to suggest some changes after having a good share of gameplay with the mod:

1. reduce bee hive spawn rates, they tend to stack everywhere in some cases

2. reduce bee and giant bee spawn rates, at best they should have the same chance to appear as Grasshoppers

3. reduce Forest Wolf and Seasonal Slime spawn rates, they may obscure the chances for other mobs to appear in the area, i dont think the player needs so much Red Gel in the game

4. make Lightning Rods attract the lightning even when offscreen, i had to put 2 more of those things on each side of my old base because once the roof was way over the player's FOV the lightning was ignoring the rod up on the top

5. lightning shouldnt ignite blocks that are roofed by non conductive materials, even if its only a 1 tile thick ceiling the electricity shouldnt be able to cause havoc

6. blizzard ambient sound during winter shouldnt be played when in the desert and it could have a decrease in volume (too noisy)

7. Charging is a horrible mechanic for Thrower and Mage, i dont mind bow drawing, non-Yoyo Melee Weapon Charging or gun reload but some weapons in the game both from vanilla and mods shine because of their autofiring behavior. Thrower is all about spamming stuff, you dont want to charge anything just want to either manually throw lots of consumables to the enemy or have a few non consumable autofiring weapons with a fairly short range. as for Mage, Charging may be good for those that are fond of "burst" style weapons like say, Book of Skulls, but things like the tentacle based tomes (Shadowflame Hexdoll and some mod stuff that works on the same principle) or DPS based spells like Crystal Storm are supposed to work like that, they shouldnt be put under the same mechanic.

8. heavily reduce the amount of charcoal and ash produced from burned trees and other materials and their drop from ash biome mobs. i guess its for inmersion and realistic purposes but come on, its inventory clutter, they barely have use for crafting.

9. evaporation and precipitation need a fix. doesnt make sense that water bodies only replenish when you're around but you can find completely dry Sky Lakes while exploring because evaporation occurs globally and offscreen at an alarming rate. either evaporation has to happen while on screen or there has to be a way to replenish water bodies during the autumn season while offscreen.

UPDATE: i forgot this one too

10. scorched dirt blocks dont recover in the new versions, i remember when Overhaul was first published that scorched grass was eventually replaced with new grass or even saplings after a while. now whenever there's a wild fire the scorched blocks stay unless i usea pick to clean it.

Last edited:
Hello @Mirsario, your mod is incredible, I do not play without it, but it is unbearable the problems I found in it, are very many, many even !, but one of them is the worst of all is "Terraria Stopped Working ..." simply the game crashes, and when I come back, all the recent items that I got disappear, for this reason I inform you not to add content without first fixing the existing problems in it, well that's it, thanks for the attention, until.

Is there a way to disable bunny-hopping and all things related to it through the configuration file? I don't exactly have anything against bunny-hopping, but if it exists and is enabled, I will feel like that I'm at a disadvantage if I don't use it, but I don't want to have to keep jumping all the time when moving around in Terrariag. In addition to that, this mod makes it so that if you press jump a bit too early before landing, you'll still jump when you land, which I personally despise (especially when the "a bit too early" period is as long as it is with this mod, and also when it makes it so that if you jump into a ceiling directly/immediately above you so you quickly land, you will even jump twice from a single jump button press), and would also like to disable.

TL;DR: Can you disable bunny-hopping through the configuration file?

1. reduce bee hive spawn rates, they tend to stack everywhere in some cases
2. reduce bee and giant bee spawn rates, at best they should have the same chance to appear as Grasshoppers
I'd second these two, getting killed because you couldn't see a tiny enemy isn't fun at the best of times, and it's made even worse by just how frequent the bees spawn in.

I know it's been brought up in the past but I'd also like to throw my two cents into the ring and say a Lite version of the mod would be great, a lot of content like the music disks only bloats out load times when and adds inventory clutter for very little gain.

I'd second these two, getting killed because you couldn't see a tiny enemy isn't fun at the best of times, and it's made even worse by just how frequent the bees spawn in.

I know it's been brought up in the past but I'd also like to throw my two cents into the ring and say a Lite version of the mod would be great, a lot of content like the music disks only bloats out load times when and adds inventory clutter for very little gain.
Well if You Think About It... Bees And Wasp's Nest Are Just As Common In Real Life So yeah...

The charged attacks are nice touch, but is there any way to turn them off? autoswing/shoot works so much better when you need to attack quickly, especially while flying around a target and using a staff. Actually, it's very important for every single attack that takes multiple hits to kill anything.

If they can't be turned off, can someone recommend a mod to force autoswing in Overhaul?

Last edited:
I was able to play this mod a while back and it was great, but recently this mod keeps throwing out "out of memory" errors and crashing. :(

Hi there, I've been using your mod for quite some time, it's amazing the amount of work you have put into this! But seeing the 1.3.6 coming and the update you'll have to do, I've thought it'll be the perfect time to give my feedback. Please take into consideration that I do not ask you to do things in a certain way, I would just like you to find your own solution to those issues. Without further ado, let's get going!
  • Overall, since the last few updates, many people have "Out of Memory" issues, and it happens to me too. (i5 3.5 gHz, Nvidia 1070 and 8 Go RAM, I know it's on RAM only, but you can clearly see it's not really my computer's fault). One way to solve this might be to break down Terraria Overhaul in some sort of a Modpack, those wanting the full experience taking all the mods and some wanting only some components taking a few of it. But, how to do it? "Simply" create a "Mother Mod", with the basics like atmosphere sounds, player rendering, camera and a bunch of things like this, and make Terraria Overhaul : Seasons, Terraria Overhaul : Combat, ect... It would reduce the amount of configuration you would have to set in the settings menu aswell as lighten the memory your mod takes for people that do not want the full experience. Enough with memory issues, let's get to the next point...

• Make the experience more configurable. I really enjoy the mod, but some things just make me want to disable the mod for quite some times. Smashing my new mouse playing thrower not really makes me feeling good. Allowing you to autoswing while keeping the reload mechanic for ranged for example, disable charging attacks for some kind of weapon types would be cool. Oh, and make bunny hop configurable too, please.

• Now, for commonly found feedback : Please reduce bee hives spawn rate, it's quite irritating to have bee hives everywhere that don't really despawn summer has passed, and having bee hives in the dungeon is quite... meh. To solve this issue, please make them unable to spawn on spaces where there is a wall behind or something, it'll greatly reduce their ability to spawn and we'll be able to work around a way to "counter play" it.

Bug Report - Terraria Overhaul
(Time since I began this run and encounter all these bugs, first time using a mod: 40 mins - 1 Hour.)

Versions Info

Terraria Version: 1.3.5.3
TModLoader Version: 0.10.1.5
Terraria Version while running TModLoader: 1.3.5.2
Terraria Overhaul: 2.1.9.1 Full Release

Bugs Encountered

Background Flickering while in a Evil Biome;

This one is really self-explanatory, while I'm at a Evil Biome the background starts to flick.

Moon Flickering while in a Evil Biome;
At night while in a Evil Biome the moon starts to flick, but the background didn't seem to flick.

Water tiles missing in rivers, usually with sloped blocks;
Some rivers is missing water tiles as if there a space between them with nothing.

Zombie Tower;
When I was testing these bugs that I encountered, I saw a Zombie Tower. A zombie with several other zombies on top.

Shadows flickering in the water.
I was making my house on a small river, no problems. But when I finished to put the walls, some tiles of the water started to flick with a weird shadow along then.

Crashing Issue

While opening my world, the mod crashed and put me back to menu.

It was at the same world with the shadows flickering in the water. After the crash I tried to retry to open my world, it worked.

Mod List

Terraria Overhaul
Thorium Mod
Cheat Sheet

Some PC Specs / Terraria Configs/ World Configs

Windows 10 / 64 - Bits
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB Ram
(All Drivers updated)

Resolution: 2560x1080
Quality: High
Frame Skip: Off
Everything that I didn't listed here: Standard

World Size: Large
Evil: Crimson (Random)
Seed: Random
Expert

Final Notes

The background flickering, the water tiles missing, the crashing issue and the shadow flickering, all of them was experienced with only Terraria Overhaul installed with a fresh install of Terraria and TModLoader, in other words, for these bugs Thorium and Cheat Sheet would be unlikely to be guility to be the cause of these bugs. I really need some help as this mod was my first modded run with Terraria and I was really liking it. Sorry for any typo or grammar errors, English isn't my first language.

2018-08-15 (3).png
Why

Maybe it's just me and my inability to use bows correctly, but the bow mechanic seems to make bows quite inferior in comparison to fully automatic ranged weapons, especially in other mods. Is there any way to improve bows' DPS while maintaining their overhauled "charging up" mechanic?

I find the nerf to melee projectiles a bit too much. They deal like half the damage they are supposed to and that makes late game melee character a huge pain to use, especially with mods like calamity where getting close to late game bosses is a death wish.

Working quite well for me so far.

I might, however, have found a bug if it isn't known already. It seems that placing furnaces, anvils and alikes directly on grass generates some red errors having something to do with:

Terraria.ModLoader.TileLoader.CheckModTile(Int32 i, Int32 j, Int32 type)
and some other error related to "Gore" couldn't catch that one.

Anyways, i can tell that it turns these objects into simple... cosmetic stuff, they don't work anymore and upon removed they just vanish completely like they were just decorations.

Press the opposite movement direction key at just the right time (i.e. as soon as you hit the wall). So if you're using WASD and jumping at a wall to your right, press "A". It's a little tricky to pull off reliably since it seems to be nearly frame-perfect. Practice against a flat wall without any movement accessories (to minimize unexpected behavior) and you'll get the hang of it.

Actually, this is wrong, but close. What you do is run towards a wall and when in mid-air moving towards the wall, HOLD the opposite movement key.

Not sure exactly why, but using the Aerial Bane bow to kill bosses makes the game crash. I have not tested it on every boss in the game yet, but so far I can confirm it crashes on Queen Bee, Skeletron and The Twins.

Hey so I godamn love this mod, except one thing.

It removes autoswing on weapons that REALLY need it. Superfast weapons just need to have autoswing rather than charge attacks.

Please some sort of feature where you can switch it off either totally if thats easier (bound to be, similar to the grapple mechanic, WHICH IS PHENOMENAL BTW) or if possible for seperate weapons. Since some I love autoswing and some I love being able to charge attack the :red: out of them :D

Thanks I hope you're able to do something!

Hey so I godamn love this mod, except one thing.

It removes autoswing on weapons that REALLY need it. Superfast weapons just need to have autoswing rather than charge attacks.

Please some sort of feature where you can switch it off either totally if thats easier (bound to be, similar to the grapple mechanic, WHICH IS PHENOMENAL BTW) or if possible for seperate weapons. Since some I love autoswing and some I love being able to charge attack the :red: out of them :D

Thanks I hope you're able to do something!
That's my #1 complaint about it. Also, the ranged lock-on is broken. You can select the enemy, but your attacks don't follow it anymore which makes fighting very fast bosses almost impossible sometimes,especially when using a gamepad (which I have to do)! It's gotten to the point that I might just remove Overhaul because it's impossible to progress.

I love this mod for its fire system and floods, but things like the thunders, bee hives, the wolves, ravens and evaporation need to be toned down. The wolf howl effect has really started to get on my nerves. My entire world has lost its water save for whatever is covered by other tiles and I have there is only one living tree left, all the others burned down by thunders.

Hey, I'm having an issue with gore not staying even though I have the settings set to "gore stays forever". If anyone can fix please tell me!

Back
Top Bottom