tModLoader Terraria Overhaul - Gameplay enhancements and much more

Mirsario

Spazmatism
PowBta7.png

Version.png

Latest Changelogs
Overhaul Wiki

This is a huge mod, which, instead of adding new content to the game, focuses on adding new gameplay mechanics and completely remaking existing ones.
It remakes guns, magic, player movement, broadswords, shortswords, hammers, chainsaws and other tools, adds seasons, dodgerolls, block climbing, walljumps, wallrolls, atmospheric sounds & footsteps, emotes, a weakness & resistance system, it makes gore ridiculously enjoyable, adds blood on tiles, a fire and an electricity systems, makes a lot of stuff more interactable, enhances enemy ai, completely remakes player rendering, makes trees fall like in starbound, and does a thousand more things i can't even memorize.
Believe me, it's colossal.

Trailers

Download:
You need tModLoader 0.10.1.5 or newer
You *may* need .NET Framework 4.6 or newer (Windows XP not supported)
Download from ModBrowser

Or See releases on github
Or Search "Terraria Overhaul" in-game

Features:
* Some stuff may be outdated since 4.0 update *
  • akgbd16p2dsz.png

Seasons. Yes, seasons.
    • Each season lasts 12 days.
    • You always start in spring.
    • Spring is here! Go ahead and smell every little flower, for they may have bees! This is the most calm season, reprensentative of the original Terraria. However, watch out for some heavy rain!
    • Sun flares are occuring! Summer has arrived. Thin ice melts down, Red Slimes surface from the depths, bees swarm, weather frenzies and fires spread much faster than usual. Winds are kicking up, be careful of any flying sharks, phirannas, or trees!
    • Autumn comes in and out goes the light! Prepare for darker days and nights, world evils getting stronger, pumpkins growing naturally and the spooky Pumpkin Moon coming to scare!
    • Embrace the heat on Winter! Freezing waters that will chill your bones and complete nighttime darkness will ensure harsh nights! If you overcame the overgrown monstrosity in the Jungle Depths, beware, as the Frost Moon may arrive unexpectedly! The ground may be a bit slippery, tread safely!
  • Video link
    Melee combat has changed a lot.
    • First of all, all melee weapons now uses raycaysts. That means that it's way easier to hit enemies, but you'll need to actually aim with your cursor, which only makes it more fun, not sure why i've put a "but" there.
    • Second - all damage is based on player's velocity. Hitting an enemy mid-air after leaping from some building or accelerating with high speed hook can make deal up to 3x times more damage. Standing still and furiously clicking won't help you much.
    • Broadswords, axes, hammers and other tools now have power attacks, which lets you do x1.5 damage, but you need to time your attacks well.
    • Hammers are now actually useful! They have much higher damage, but always have an attack delay.
    • It's all way faster. Damage scaling makes you want to be way more aggressive, and dodgerolls give you a way of escaping most attack, but only if you're skilled enough to time it well.
    • New sounds make every single hit enjoyable.
  • Video link
    Every single gun has been remade from scratch to be way more enjoyable and fun to use.
    • All guns have new, very enjoyable sounds. But in case you're a fan of the game both looking and sounding cartoony, you can enable back vanilla sounds in the config file. Info about it below.
    • Miniguns (Minishark, Chaingun, etc) now fire slowly at first, but speed up as you hold the trigger. They also all have a little bit faster firerate.
    • Some guns have reloading. As a fun of oldschool shooters, i at first was very sceptical about this. But it actually fits. Reloading times are so small that it doesn't make anything tedious, but only more interesting. Especially because of dodgerolls, they allow you to fallback for a second, and then immediatelly rush back into combat, spraying showers of lead at your enemies.
    • All changes are individual! Nailgun is now a shotgun, like in Quake 3 Team Arena or Killing Floor 2, Space Gun now fires a continuous laser beam, Onyx Blaster is now basically a BFG9000.
    • Muzzleflashes!
  • Video link
    Fire related projectiles and torches(can be disabled) can now start fires.
    • Can be disabled in the config file. See Configuration below.
    • Fire deals 3 times more damage to npcs, so using fire arrows is risky, but is also really worth it.
    • All liquid-related projectiles are able to extinguish fires, players, friendly and hostile npcs.
    • There's also interaction between projectiles themselves. You can extinguish enemy fireballs mid-air, or set your friend's arrows on fire.
  • Video link
    Gore is now more enjoyable than in most AAA games. Ridiculous.
    • Gore doesn't dissappear with time. (This can be disabled)
    • You can shoot and shred your enemies even after they're already dead. Groovy.
    • There's a pretty advanced blood "decal" system, which literally lets you paint the town red. Or maybe green and blue, if you find enough slimes.
    • You can wash blood away with water weapons. Viscera Cleanup Detail version when?
    • Fixes gores not colliding with slopes, also it doesn't sink in water.
    • Very enjoyable dismemberment sounds.
  • Video link
    99% of the game is moving around. Let's at least try to make that enjoyable.
    • There's almost no air friction and there are no speed limits.
    • You can climb blocks by holding the up(or jump, if you mess with configs) button.
    • Jumps are a bit shorter, but with climbing you'd be able to get over a 1 block taller wall than in vanilla.
    • There's bunnyhopping. Never heard of it? Sucks to be you. Here's the Wikipedia page
    • Seriously. Bunnyhopping. That's like the best thing ever.
    • There's even a rare drop from bunnies, which increases the speed boost you get when bunnyhopping.
    • Kill. All. The Bunnies.
    • Dodgerolls allow you to change direction mid-air. It's extremely useful when using grapples.
    • Explosions affect your velocity. THAT MEANS YOU CAN ROCKETJUMP!
    • AND GRENADEJUMP TOO!
    • ALSO HELLFIRE ARROWS WILL WORK TOO I GUESS.
  • oQIuKHK.png

y0pIDXd.png

WilbVcO.png
    I've remade player rendering to have actually rotating arms, head, and other stuff like that. Yeah. Looks cool.
  • l3tXjs7.png

EJKVaWh.png

I've added footsteps and some more ambient sounds, to make the game feel more "alive".
    Examples:
    • You'll hear birds and crickets in the forest.
    • The evil biomes will scream at you.
    • Jungle mosquitoes will make your ears tickle.
    • Bosses will be TERRIFY you.
  • Video link
    Bows didn't change as much as other things did, but they still became way more enjoyable.
    • They now have the generic charging that you can see in most games.
    • Arrow damage is based on the arrow's velocity. That means you can deal high damage from a weak shot, but you'll need to be gravity's best friend.
    • You'll get stunned if you overcharge and don't release the fire button in time. That'll probably never happen, though.
  • PgWFLGQ.png

There's now a durability system added for some items.
    • Can be disabled in the config file. See Configuration below.
    • Items WON'T break, they just receive stat debuffs.
    • New or recently repaired items have a stat BONUS.
    • You can repair items by pressing right mouse button on a repair table, which is crafted with iron/lead bars and wood.
    • This isn't Breath of the Wild.
    • Your items DO keep their modifiers on repair.
  • Video link
    • You can now do a charged up attack, which shoots 3 projectiles.
    • Amber staff is stronger now.
  • Video link
    • There's reloading added.
    • It's a bit easier to hit stuff.
    • Players no longer has immune times (unless you have a cross necklace, then it's the default immune time). 10 zombies will kill you 10 times faster
    • Player position is saved. That means you no longer can get out of caves by leaving the world and loading it up again.
    • All items on the ground are saved with the world. You won't lose anything, unless you start hitting the max 400 items limit.
    • Miner's helmet's lights follow the cursor. Almost like an actual flashlight.
    • Stone pickaxe & axe added. They're worse than copper and are only supposed to be used if your copper tools become really bad so early because you suck at the game.
    • A LOT of other stuff i can't remember. Tons! The fact that it's 5AM as i'm writing this, and i haven't slept for 20 hours... probably doesn't help.
  • bNIsHg1.png

In case your pc can't handle the mod, or there's some things you prefer not to have, you can easily change stuff in TerrariaOverhaul.json config file, which is located in Terraria/ModLoader folder
    The path to this folder on Windows is C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My games\Terraria\ModLoader
    • You can reload configs in-game, by typing "/oConfig" into the chat, or "oConfig" into a dedicated server's console.
    • You're welcome.
  • The mod is fully compatible with multiplayer.

Credits:
Team / Important contributors
@Mirsario - Game design, programming and pretty much everything that's not listed below (Unless i forgot someone/something).
@Zoomo - Lots of truly amazing art. (All trees and boss resprites are his. <3)
@Rartrin - Does the impossible, sees the invisable. Row row fight the power. (Methodswapping and some of other rather difficult code <3)
@Haxx - That really cool overhaul logo, better grass shading, better zambees and few minor sprites. <3
@Eli10293 - Manual fixes for custom armor sprites, some minor help with sprites and ideas. <3
@Blatooee - A few really nice sprites. <3
@Vikri - Badass Wall of Flesh sprite. <3

Contributions / Assets
THD Team - Sounds and emotes from their King Arthur's Gold. Love ya. <3
TheHelten - Kickass shotgun & boomstick sounds. <3
TFlippy - Gramophone sprites from his King Arthur's Gold mod Territory Control. <3
Raxxo - No Hushing (music disc). <3
@Kirbyrocket - Pretty neat music remixes no one ever asked for. <3
DM DOKURO - Eye of Cthulhu and Chaos Elemental tracks. <3
@Lunatic Lobbyist - Some skies and backgrounds from his Better Ambiance Texture Pack. Used in summer mostly.
Uniquepotatoes - Water arrow resprite. <3

Patrons <3
Mark Shamp - coolest guy №1
bonhalkett - coolest guy №2
TitanTippin - isn't bad.
Spark, o/
Entity - Works more than games
litcherally - Also a cool guy!
GreatestKracken - Everywhere in the Community
Kayvato Tovani - The Icosahedron of Failure!
Cesium - overanalyzing everything.
Agent Hightower - a KAG nerd.
ShawKill - streamin' games

Thanks to
Vamist - hosting the patron server and some other stuff. <3 <3 <3
TerrorFox1234 - Help with getting rid of copyrighted assets <3
[B]@jopojelly[/B], [B]@Yoraiz0r[/B] - For equally huge help with programming issues <3
Batby - Annoying me with rap tracks, testing, moderating the discord server.
Cesium, TitanTippin, Pip1n, OnePointSeven, DeliWtz, ShawKill and FuryForged - For useful feedback and finding various bugs/issues.
movildima, Jofairden, TFlippy, Gord, Trivaxy, Koi (Bananaman), Fokson - Participation in tests.
Scooterboot - *Base* grappling hook code. <3
Freesound.org - for being free.

Videos:

Changelogs:
All changelogs can now be found on my Patreon.​

Known Issues:
Please see the #known-issues channel in our Discord server

Mod Compatibility:
(Make sure you're running the latest version)

All mods are compatible by default. This just a list of incompatibilities & mods with issues.

Dual Wielding - Incompatible. Can't be fixed on Overhaul's side.
kRPG - *Currently* incompatible.
ItemCustomizer - Rendering is incompatible.
WeaponOut - Works great, but overhaul overrides its rendering.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Game crashes with "System.OutOfMemoryException".
A: See this.

Q: Where can i find the OSTs from the mod?
A: Here.

Q: Getting "Method not found: '!! 0 [] System.Array.Empty ()'." or "System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance"
A: Install .NET Framework 4.6 from here.

Random links:

yis.

Last edited:
I assume with all the custom changes to weapons that it's not compatible with any other big content mods? Unless I didn't read if it was / wasn't somewhere. If not is there any plan to try add compatibility to other mods?

I assume with all the custom changes to weapons that it's not compatible with any other big content mods? Unless I didn't read if it was / wasn't somewhere. If not is there any plan to try add compatibility to other mods?
I didn't test it with other mods too much, but most stuff should work fine, and i'm all for cross compatibility.

I seem to be unable to chop down trees with this mod enabled
I can start and the cracks show up on the tree but eventually the cracks vanish and the tree isn't chopped down.
However, on SOME trees, i can chop down the little like sides at the bottom.
I tried with Copper and Stone axes, neither work, and only this mod is enabled
(EDIT) Nevermind, i can't chop the very bottom part down, only higher parts. Is this intentional?

I seem to be unable to chop down trees with this mod enabled
I can start and the cracks show up on the tree but eventually the cracks vanish and the tree isn't chopped down.
However, on SOME trees, i can chop down the little like sides at the bottom.
I tried with Copper and Stone axes, neither work, and only this mod is enabled
Sorry, forgot to tell, you can't chop down trees straight up by their roots, aim 1 tile higher.
i4LgfIb.png

Okay, this is one of the most incredible mods I've ever seen. But there's one problem.
All types of platforms can catch fire- even ones like Meteorite, Obsidian, etc. I think this is probably because the game considers them all the same block, but this kind of makes boss arenas awful for certain fire weapons. It's mostly not a problem with Flaming Arrows, but the Flower of Fire completely destroys arenas since it bounces on platforms.
I'd suggest just making platforms inflammable. It might not make much sense, but I'd consider that better than arenas being easy to completely burn down.
You could also add a config option to change whether fire even burns anything down at all. Personally, I could do without that whole feature.

So, quite the exciting mod, however I'm a bit baffled with these buckets.
Whenever I use a bucket filled with water, it doesn't use it up, but instead gives me a new empty bucket, resulting in infinite water and bucket generation

Edit: Another thing, when I'm chopping trees the way the mod intends me to, I get a random dirt block given to me.

Last edited:
Tiny complaint. In vanilla if you hold shift over, say, a block, it automatically pulls out your pickaxe even if it's not in your hotbar. And if you hold shift over the air it pulls out torches. Usually once you start using the pickaxe you can't use any other item as long as you're holding down the left mouse button. But now even though I hold down left mouse, if I move the cursor off of a tile and into the air it switches to torches. Meaning I can't mine properly without being forced to use my pickaxe in the hotbar. Again, a very small complaint, but one I think is worth mentioning

Okay, this is one of the most incredible mods I've ever seen. But there's one problem.
All types of platforms can catch fire- even ones like Meteorite, Obsidian, etc.
In vanilla if you hold shift over, say, a block, it automatically pulls out your pickaxe even if it's not in your hotbar. And if you hold shift over the air it pulls out torches. Usually once you start using the pickaxe you can't use any other item as long as you're holding down the left mouse button. But now even though I hold down left mouse, if I move the cursor off of a tile and into the air it switches to torches. Meaning I can't mine properly without being forced to use my pickaxe in the hotbar. Again, a very small complaint, but one I think is worth mentioning
Added it to known issues, will fix in next update.

Back
Top Bottom