Terraria - PewDiePie Crossover Merchandise Launches Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that you're making a PR blunder in doing this and I'm frankly baffled by the fact that this got through. In good faith though, I will assume that those approving it didn't do their research.

PewDiePie has a history of saying the n-word on his livestream as a "slip up" thrice now, was dropped from Maker (a Disney subsidiary) over attempting to see what he could get away with on Fiverr by making people say anti-semetic and racist stuff. This is all pretty well documented.

Lesser known things include following and endorsing major alt-right figures like Jordan Peterson and even featuring Ben Shapiro in one of his videos and recommending his viewers to watch a review of some racist jackass who is racist in the video that he linked.

The "subscribe to pewdiepie" meme quickly became used in racist contexts against Indian people and only was disavowed by the guy once two nazis shot up a synagogue and a mosque and said "subscribe to pewdiepie" before opening fire on innocents. He also has been convicted for racism in India for one of the songs that he wrote in the context of that entire debacle.

In an attempt to apologize for this, he first promised to donate money to the ADL, only to pull that money later out of "concerns coming from his fanbase about the ADL as an organization". Checking prominent PDP adjacent communities reveals that these "concerns" were poorly disguised anti-semitism.

At best he's a dumbass who is introducing his underage audience to ideas that run contrary to what would fly on this forum and Re-Logic partnering with him is concerning at best. At worst he's an active alt-righter. Either way, it is a really bad look for the Terraria developers to associate with him and I can't help but express disappointment in this happening.

None of this is defamatory, there are sources for all of these claims.

First off being a troll on the internet and people reacting are two different things. Both sides of the political spectrum have spun out of control and both actively act like idiots blaming each other for what's wrong with this world. Whether or not he actually DID those things or not it's not up to YOU or ME to decide on who Relogic does a deal with. They could collab with an extremist Left Wing Marxist and that would be their business. That is THEIR decision. This isn't about politics. This is about gaming culture. Get over yourselves. If they feel like it'll help their brand expand even further they are welcome to follow whatever path they deem is right.

Guys calm down. If you don't like the person, crossover or merch then wait for another one. I'm sure it's coming soon. No need to start an argument.

Guys calm down. If you don't like the person, crossover or merch then wait for another one. I'm sure it's coming soon. No need to start an argument.
I personally wouldn't have replied ever again if not for someone rolling in on their high horse and necroing the thread to re-ignite the dead argument.

Thanks for trying to mediate though. I'm sure both of our comments will get removed so it won't be a problem. That is unless the mods think "both sides bad and you're full or yourselves for disliking a company's decision" and necroing a dead thread to start a political argument is somehow any more civil than what I've said.

To avoid any confusion, the mods have not removed anyone’s post. If a post isn’t here anymore, it’s because the author of the post removed it themselves. As long as things are stated politely, members are certainly free to share their opinion, whether it be positive or negative. :)

To avoid any confusion, the mods have not removed anyone’s post. If a post isn’t here anymore, it’s because the author of the post removed it themselves. As long as things are stated politely, members are certainly free to share their opinion, whether it be positive or negative. :)
Yeah, I didn't want to give the false impression that you'd actually done what I described. I just didn't feel like getting into any drama unnecessarily so I backed out. Forgive me if it seemed like I was undermining you.

PewDiePie has a history of saying the n-word on his livestream as a "slip up" thrice now
He has only said it out loud one time many years ago, which hasn't represented his current character & influence for many years now. And then there was one or two times where donations tried to bait him into saying it. Please include all of the details and context.
was dropped from Maker (a Disney subsidiary) over attempting to see what he could get away with on Fiverr by making people say anti-semetic and racist stuff.
An elaborated offensive joke he made many years ago which doesn't represent hasn't represented his current character & influence for many years now.
This is all pretty well documented.
And also is from many years ago + doesn't remotely represent his current character today, once again. Contrary to popular claims, no one watching Pewdiepie videos suddenly became a nazi let alone a terrorist soldier because of him.
Lesser known things include following and endorsing major alt-right figures like Jordan Peterson
Last time he checked the only thing he did with Jordan was recommend a book. You are presenting this as if Pewds was praising him for his controversial political beliefs, whatever those were.
and even featuring Ben Shapiro in one of his videos
...For his meme status, and not to endorse his politics or anything. Why are you omitting context?
recommending his viewers to watch a review of some racist jackass who is racist in the video that he linked.
He recommended one channel out of like 20 over an anime review, and he genuinely didn't notice there was offensive content in said channel's other videos. Why are you omitting very important context?
The "subscribe to pewdiepie" meme quickly became used in racist contexts against Indian people
There is no source to back this claim up and pretty much hasn't happened at all, unless you want to count a few trolls in what was an internet-wide big event at the time. There's trolls in every sizeable online community or event.
and only was disavowed by the guy once two nazis shot up a synagogue and a mosque and said "subscribe to pewdiepie" before opening fire on innocents.
The horrible monster literally wrote that it wanted to hijack the phrase to spark attention and contribute to its "Accelerationism" beliefs.

You are giving to it what it exactly wants by writing this, please stop.
He also has been convicted for racism in India for one of the songs that he wrote in the context of that entire debacle.
I see no source or context to back up this claim, especially considering both of his songs against T-Series are still up on Youtube with no signs of being taken down in the near future.
In an attempt to apologize for this, he first promised to donate money to the ADL, only to pull that money later out of "concerns coming from his fanbase about the ADL as an organization".
The ADL is well known for calling everything a hate symbol for the sake of it, including Pepe the Frog and the OK Hand symbol, and generally being a bad organization despite good intentions similar to PETA. They regularly attempt to slander and deplatform content creators whether they are actually problematic or not. There is a good reason that Pewdiepie reconsidered his donation after fan backlash.
Checking prominent PDP adjacent communities reveals that these "concerns" were poorly disguised anti-semitism
This is a borderline lie with zero substance to back it up, and your credibility lowers the more you make these claims. There are many reasons that people actively dislike ADL as I described above.
Either way, it is a really bad look for the Terraria developers to associate with him
Notice how not a single thing let alone something negative has happened as a result of this, besides some people buying pewdiepie-themed merch.
The way you present those "facts" and/or conclude them is indeed very defamatory. A lot of these aren't even facts, simply being baseless claims presented as facts that crumbles under scrutiny.

It's not a good look that as I pointed out, you also omitted important game-changing context for a lot of these, making it seem like you're pushing a narrative against Felix's character.

Last edited:
@Unit One Well here you go, I think it's safe to say Ignis successfully managed to turn a dead thread into a political argument that had no reason to ever exist if not for his involvement.
doesn't remotely represent his current character today
Why doesn't it. You are asking for the work's cited of a university thesis to prove your opposition's point when you are asserting a positive claim here (and repeatedly) with 0 evidence.
no one watching Pewdiepie videos suddenly became a nazi let alone a terrorist soldier because of him
Another strong positive claim that's impossible to prove one way or another.
Last time he checked the only thing he did with Jordan was recommend a book. You are presenting this as if Pewds was praising him for his controversial political beliefs, whatever those were.
You don't think someone's political beliefs come through when they're writing a book about how to live your life?
...For his meme status, and not to endorse his politics or anything. Why are you omitting context?
I don't see how this addition of context is particularly meaningful. It's not like he's making fun of him or anything. I don't particularly consider it an endorsement, but this addition of context is moot.
He recommended one channel out of like 20 over an anime review, and he genuinely didn't notice there was offensive content in said channel's other videos. Why are you omitting very important context?
I fully believe someone could watch said video without understanding that the person who made it is very suspect. Heck, I only noticed with that particular video when I was older on a rewatch (the offensive content was also in the video that was recommended for the record), but 1. Pewdiepie has too much money and has had too many controversies not to at least do a cursory check on someone before he recommends them and 2. you're claiming to know details about Pewdiepie's internal thoughts that you could not possibly for certain, even if he directly told them to you.
There is no source to back this claim up and pretty much hasn't happened at all, unless you want to count a few trolls in what was an internet-wide big event at the time. There's trolls in every sizeable online community or event.
That people used "Subscribe to Pewdiepie" and the T-Series situation to be racist against Indians? You should have omitted everything after and, because everything after "and" is a positive claim that you haven't supported (and which wouldn't be particularly hard to find evidence to the contrary). I also don't why you attribute every single bad actor's actions to "trolls". Do you not think anyone genuinely believes in what they're saying? Again, you keep asking for evidence but your standard for evidence is completely unreasonable as you already have an automatic "they were trolls" dismissal lined up so it's impossible for me to believe your requests for evidence are something you're saying in anything other than bad faith.
You are giving to it what it exactly wants by writing this, please stop.
"You are giving him what he wants" arguments really don't hold up to basic scrutiny. He's locked up. Why should we care whether or not he likes what happens after? That doesn't determine whether it's a reasonable thing to do or not. That is to be determined on its own merits. "You are giving him what he wants" is a thought-terminating cliché.
I see no source or context to back up this claim, especially considering both of his songs against T-Series are still up on Youtube with no signs of being taken down in the near future.
On this point, as far as I can determine, you are 100% correct and the person you're talking to is dealing in rumor.
The ADL is well known for calling everything a hate symbol for the sake of it, including Pepe the Frog and the OK Hand symbol, and generally being a bad organization despite good intentions similar to PETA. They regularly attempt to slander and deplatform content creators whether they are actually problematic or not. There is a good reason that Pewdiepie reconsidered his donation after fan backlash.
Oh boy now it's my turn to say "why are you omitting important context". The ADL's hate symbol list very clearly qualifies the images on their list in such a way as to make it clear to the reader that not every instance of a symbol is hate. The OK hand symbol isn't even on their list. That's the Southern Povery Law Center's list. I'm sure the SPLC's entry on it qualifies that it isn't always a hate symbol as well. Heck, the only thing other than that on the ADL's list I think you'd find objectionable is Troll Face, which is qualified with (racist versions) in the title of the entry itself.

So either you're thinking of the SPLC's list, which isn't relevant because it's not the ADA, just heard things about the list without ever checking to make sure they were true yourself, or this is a handwave. Or some combination of the three. In any case, the most common criticism people have of the ADL is how they treat opposition to the actions of the State of Israel, such as boycotts, as hate speech. That is a can of worms I am 100% unwilling to open on a video game forum.
There are many reasons that people actively dislike ADL as I described above.
While I think the list you described above doesn't actually include any good reasons to dislike the ADL, I fully believe PDP's fanbase would believe them at face value so I can let this slide. From my perspective of the situation at the time, he was drawing criticism from some parties for choosing the ADL as his charity of choice due to the situation with Israel I described above.
Notice how not a single thing let alone something negative has happened as a result of this, besides some people buying pewdiepie-themed merch.
While you can dismiss claims made without evidence without evidence, you have a bad habit of taking this too far and making positive claims you can't prove out of what could have been an easy layup dismissal. That's really all I have to say on this.
It's not a good look that as I pointed out, you also omitted important game-changing context for a lot of these, making it seem like you're pushing a narrative against Felix's character.
While it is true that they got major details wrong and overstated their points, the same could be said of yourself. In the end the only difference here is opinion.

In concluson: Whether or not collabing with PDP is a good look is really up to whether the person making the judgement likes PDP. It's not something that can be factually proven one way or the other. It's all opinion. Now let's end these back-and-forths and kill this thread.

Last edited:
Why doesn't it. You are asking for the work's cited of a university thesis to prove your opposition's point when you are asserting a positive claim here (and repeatedly) with 0 evidence.
You are making this look unnecessarily complex when it's not in the slightest. Look at one single recent Pewdiepie video. He hasn't been edgy for years, his content is much cleaner. He hasn't fallen into (new) controversy in years. No one in his fanbase became a nazi soldier. The man is just reacting to reddit memes among other things. This is a far cry from his character from many years ago where he went as far as making a song parodying sexual assault (this is way back). He has apologized for his mistakes at the time and he has shown that he has in fact changed.
Another strong positive claim that's impossible to prove one way or another.
The burden of proof is on the media in general for making the claims that Pewdiepie was actively radicalizing his audience.
You don't think someone's political beliefs come through when they're writing a book about how to live your life?
We don't even know what's in the book at all, and even then Pewdiepie said in his book review that he does not fully agree in it, mainly found it very interesting. The closest Pewdiepie got to politics is pointing out the book has religious comparisons in it. Either way it's safe to assume the book does not contain instructions to join the alt-right, or misleading crime statistics and so on, or anything extremist like that. But correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't see how this addition of context is particularly meaningful. It's not like he's making fun of him or anything. I don't particularly consider it an endorsement, but this addition of context is moot.
It's actually very important. It can be mistakenly perceived as if Ben Shapiro was invited & endorsed for his political beliefs, especially with the way Noirscape worded it.
1. Pewdiepie has too much money and has had too many controversies not to at least do a cursory check on someone before he recommends them
That's why it was a mistake from him that was massively overblown by the media at the time, and unfortunately now by Noirscape as well. There is a giant difference with "One of the 20 channels Pewdiepie recommended for anime reviews has offensive content in it, Pewdiepie should be more responsible" and "Pewdiepie made a video endorsing a nazi channel to his viewers". This is why context is especially important in this section specifically.
2. you're claiming to know details about Pewdiepie's internal thoughts that you could not possibly for certain, even if he directly told them to you.
This is exactly what should be said to the people calling defaming him though. The burden of proof is on the people trying to defame Felix's character, and I am responding to and correcting arguments depending on the case. They always assume the absolute worst in Felix's character and his impact, often not looking at the bigger picture.
because everything after "and" is a positive claim that you haven't supported (and which wouldn't be particularly hard to find evidence to the contrary)
Again, the burden of proof is on the people making the claims that people used the movement to be racist against Indians. They made the claim so they are the one that have to back it up. I have asked numerous people over the years for evidence and they have always gone silent.
I also don't why you attribute every single bad actor's actions to "trolls". Do you not think anyone genuinely believes in what they're saying?
Perhaps there is, and it would be an extreme minority in what used to be an internet-wide event at the time centered around a channel with millions of active fans.
your standard for evidence is completely unreasonable as you already have an automatic "they were trolls" dismissal lined up so it's impossible for me to believe your requests for evidence are something you're saying in anything other than bad faith.
We don't even have to argue about that. Whether or not they would be trolls, they were an extreme minority. In an evidence based topic, evidence should be brought at every opportunity.
"You are giving him what he wants" arguments really don't hold up to basic scrutiny. He's locked up. Why should we care whether or not he likes what happens after?
I personally don't think mass shooters should be remembered, especially in this case when it wanted to spark a reaction and ruin the movement.
That doesn't determine whether it's a reasonable thing to do or not. That is to be determined on its own merits. "You are giving him what he wants" is a thought-terminating cliché.
I don't think you realize that at the time, the media was serious about believing Pewdiepie was to blame for what had happened. If the goal was not to defame Felix's character, then why did Noirscape reference the mass shooting as an argument against Felix?
Oh boy now it's my turn to say "why are you omitting important context". The ADL's hate symbol list very clearly qualifies the images on their list in such a way as to make it clear to the reader that not every instance of a symbol is hate. The OK hand symbol isn't even on their list.
The OK hand symbol IS on ADL's list though. It's "Okay Hand Gesture" under the " Hate on Display™ Hate Symbols Database" section. Now, I will acknowledge that they do clarify about the innocence (and actual intended) usage of the symbol, but this is still silly at best when letting extremists win and smear words & symbols is the worst thing you can do. What should be done is continuing to use words & symbols in their intended ways and widely condemning attempts to change their meanings. Instead, the media did the opposite, giving up so easily and letting evil people hijack it. In fact, outside of ADL at least, innocent people are regularly kicked out or fired depending on the case, just because they did an ok hand gesture as a traditional innocent "you lost the game" joke. This last happened with an innocent Fire Fighter on August of this year. The media regularly uses the ADL as the main authority on "hate symbols" and this is one of the main reasons why ADL is rightfully detested as they don't care about defending words/symbols and just let everything be a hate symbol to the point of innocent people getting negatively affected after.
you have a bad habit of taking this too far and making positive claims you can't prove out of what could have been an easy layup dismissal.
What does this mean? What is a "positive claim", and what is a "layup"?
the same could be said of yourself.
This is an empty phrase made to disrupt the pace of the discussion and trying to avoid having to confront the fact so many of the claims made against Pewdiepie are utterly baseless if not outright false in a few cases. The burden of proof is on the people that made the claims.

Nothing to see here...just an argument...
I trust you guys that below this post everything can go back to the usual responses.
One step ahead of you, pal

This merch looks pretty good, too bad I don’t really care for Pewdiepie that much anymore. Although the moon lord figurine looks sweet on its own. Wait, am I too late to voice an opinion on this thread?

I think that you're making a PR blunder in doing this and I'm frankly baffled by the fact that this got through. In good faith though, I will assume that those approving it didn't do their research.

PewDiePie has a history of saying the n-word on his livestream as a "slip up" thrice now, was dropped from Maker (a Disney subsidiary) over attempting to see what he could get away with on Fiverr by making people say anti-semetic and racist stuff. This is all pretty well documented.

Lesser known things include following and endorsing major alt-right figures like Jordan Peterson and even featuring Ben Shapiro in one of his videos and recommending his viewers to watch a review of some racist jackass who is racist in the video that he linked.

The "subscribe to pewdiepie" meme quickly became used in racist contexts against Indian people and only was disavowed by the guy once two nazis shot up a synagogue and a mosque and said "subscribe to pewdiepie" before opening fire on innocents. He also has been convicted for racism in India for one of the songs that he wrote in the context of that entire debacle.

In an attempt to apologize for this, he first promised to donate money to the ADL, only to pull that money later out of "concerns coming from his fanbase about the ADL as an organization". Checking prominent PDP adjacent communities reveals that these "concerns" were poorly disguised anti-semitism.

At best he's a dumbass who is introducing his underage audience to ideas that run contrary to what would fly on this forum and Re-Logic partnering with him is concerning at best. At worst he's an active alt-righter. Either way, it is a really bad look for the Terraria developers to associate with him and I can't help but express disappointment in this happening.

Fully agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom