Tool Terraria Portable (GOG.COM ONLY)

noirscape

Cultist
THIS IS FOR GOG.COM ONLY
PLEASE READ IF YOU ARE A MODERATOR OR A CONCERNED USER!

This tool does not violate the rules about bypassing the Steam DRM, all this tool does is use the set command to change the save directory to the local data folder and then launch terraria.exe.

Why doesn't this work for steam?
Steam requires you to launch it with it's own launcher, and that isn't portable either. The only thing it does is move the save folder to a custom location. So yes, you can install Terraria to your usb-stick, but your saves aren't cross-platform compatible.

Hello everyone!

Hereby I present to you the Terraria Portable tool. (So you can install it on a USB!)

I wrote it in the portableapps format so it's easy to install.

What you will need=
  • A computer with Terraria on it.
  • The installer I supplied below
  • An USB-Stick with ~100 mb free space.
Tutorial=
  1. Download the installer.
  2. Launch the installer.
  3. For the install directory choose your USB stick.
  4. After it says it finished DO NOT LAUNCH IT!
  5. Copy over your terraria installation to the TerrariaPortable/App/Terraria folder
  6. Launch the game using TerrariaPortable.exe which you can find in the TerrariaPortable folder.
  7. Enjoy!
QA:
The launcher gives the following error: ERROR: App\Terraria\Terraria.exe could not be found
You didn't copy the files over correctly. Make sure they are in the app folder of your install directory.

Where is the nice icon that Terraria has?
I don't have it implemented yet but if you could give me the terraria.ico file and the png files in the sizes 16x16, 32x32 and 128x128 I will implement it.

It says its a stable release, yet I can't find it on portableapps.com
It is a stable release as far as I'm concerned.

Where are all my current worlds and character saves?
If you want to migrate over your worlds and characters you need to do the following steps.
1. Launch the portable version at least once. (Essential!)
2. Close the game.
3. Go into your My Documents folder.
4. Go to My Games
5. Copy the Terraria folder to your installation directory in the Data/My Games subfolder. So by default that is Terrariaportable/Data/My Games.
6. Done

Help! When I access My Documents everything is gone!
No it's not. You probably opened the folder while the game is running, you idiot. Just close the game and you should be fine. If the game was not open you closed it incorrectly.
EDIT:If you did this, you can find your documents again by going to C:\Documents And Settings\<YOURUSERNAME>\, in here is a folder called something like My Documents, in here you find your My Documents content.
Fixed as of 1.0.1. It now only copies your Terraria folder.

Where is GameLauncher?
GameLauncher doesn't work with this software. Mods do work, just don't forget to rename it to Terraria.exe first. (This is due to the fact that when launching the game it looks for terraria.exe).

Does this work with 1.3.x.x?
As long as the game doesn't change it's save paths it should work.

Disclaimer: By using this installer you agree to sell over your soul to the almighty Darkness Wizard be held responsible for any use of the software. (That means you can't lawsuit me).

Terraria is copyright of Re-Logic. I do not own or am a part of redigit. Illegal distirbution of Terraria is obviously not allowed.

Github repo: https://github.com/ev1l0rd-portableapps/TerrariaPortable
Latest release: https://github.com/ev1l0rd-portableapps/TerrariaPortable/releases

Changelog:
  • 1.0 : Initial release
  • 1.0.1:Fixed bug reported by @ksVPN This version invalidates the entire data folder from 1.0 and earlier. Remove it if you update. You will lose your save data.
EDIT:Oops! Terraria is obviously owned by Re-Logic, not just Redigit! Thanks @Lord of Chaos

Last edited:
Nice, I always like portable apps and ever wished terraria was.

Your tool would be perfect if you could implement the GameLauncher / tApi!

Those can't be added due to GameLauncher requiring steam (which is not included) and tApi... As long as the executable remains named Terraria.exe it should work. (Gameiki mod works for sure, tested).

Those can't be added due to GameLauncher requiring steam (which is not included) and tApi... As long as the executable remains named Terraria.exe it should work. (Gameiki mod works for sure, tested).
Gamelauncher requires steam?

I can launch it directly from my Terraria folder, and I can launch tAPI without even opening GameLauncher.

As true as that is, GameLauncher uses steam to download an older terraria version. And if I hear that then tAPI works, but my portable version is looking for Terraria.exe specifically. I can't really make it mod compatible as most mods have their own .exe's which need a different App/AppInfo/Launcher/TerrariaPortable.ini file. But if you want it I am able to create the file. Just supply the correct .exe and I will give you the TerrariaPortable.ini

Awesome, will try later.

Also, I think Terraria is copyright of Re-Logic, not Redigit BTW. (redigit is just a person vs. Re-Logic as a whole)

THIS DOESNT EVEN WORK. IT SAYS: Please launch the game from your steam client.

And pls dont tell me, you can only use this to install terraria on a USB drive, and ONLY use it when your logged into your steam account and steam is running in the background.

Because I CAN INSTALL TERRARIA ON A USB-STICK WITHOUT YOUR LITTLE PROGRAM. (sorry for caps), but this makes no :red:ing sense whatsoever

Hmm yeah, you should probably update it SO :red:ING STEAM USERS LIKE ME CAN USE IT, because:

"This tool does not violate the rules about bypassing the Steam DRM", SO WHY IS IT ONLY FOR GOG?

(again sorry for raging, but this is just not my day, im in a :red:ty mood, and this does not really help :()

I guess I could look in making a .bat script for it... It's just that I don't know where your steam library is.

<THIS DIDN'T WORK>

Well, i dont get this at all.

I understood it like this:

This program allows you to install terraria on a USB-Stick, so you can play it on computers that dont have steam on them.
(Because thats what i think when it say "Terraria portable DRM-free")

If thats not the case, pls explain it to me. Cuz If its not DRM-FREE, then why did you put that in the fricking title?

Well then this whole line "This tool does not violate the rules about bypassing the Steam DRM"
Was complete nonsense and is just irritating.

Just to make things a bit clearer for everyone:

It is against the forum rules to post a tool/mod/client that bypasses the Steam DRM (and it has been since the game was released on Steam). One or two specific tools did get specific permission from Re-Logic to do that (this is not one of them).

This tool does not bypass the Steam DRM (or any other DRM), and therefore is acceptable. Hopefully the title change and other new information added to the OP will help everyone decide if this is useful for them.

So I know this says it doesn't delete your My Documents, but it looks like it has on my computer. I see you're referring to "Documents and Settings" which I believe is from Windows XP. I'm on Windows 7 so even if I go under "Users" my documents folder is still empty. Luckily in Windows 7 you can right click your documents folder and go to properties you can do a restore from a previous version, but this is still very concerning. I didn't open my documents or anything. Just launched the game, hit exit and my documents are gone. Any suggestions?

So I know this says it doesn't delete your My Documents, but it looks like it has on my computer. I see you're referring to "Documents and Settings" which I believe is from Windows XP. I'm on Windows 7 so even if I go under "Users" my documents folder is still empty. Luckily in Windows 7 you can right click your documents folder and go to properties you can do a restore from a previous version, but this is still very concerning. I didn't open my documents or anything. Just launched the game, hit exit and my documents are gone. Any suggestions?
I fixed the bug. You will need to backup your save data before you install it. It's version 1.0.1. (Sorry it took so long, I was unable to get on my computer for a while.)

Technical stuff: The folder was originally backed up to a secondary folder and any changes were made to a subfolder in /Data/ This has been changed so that it backs up your Terraria folder only right now.

Back
Top Bottom