Terraria Randomly Crashes While i am Playing/When i Try To Save and Exit The World

Alright this registry file is going to delete the key causing the problem associated with the event viewer. After Restarting you computer it should regenerate the key automatically. If it doesn't, or we still can't access the event viewer we'll try some other solutions to repair the snap in. Follow the steps below. If one of the steps doesn't make sense let me know and I'll clarify.

1. Create a system restore point. This is in case things go bad, which they shouldn't, but caution never hurts. Open a file explorer and paste the following: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System then on the left hand side you should see something that says "System Protection. Click it and a new window will appear, in the bottom right corner of this new window you will see a button that says "Create" click it. Then give it a brief name, doesn't matter what it is. Afterwards click Create.

2. Download the Reg File, I've included the link, click it and it will open up a web page. Click Download and you should receive a file called "EventViewerRefresh.reg" double click this file and run it, then will ask you if you trust the source select yes and it will make the changes to the registry.

3. Restart your computer, full shutdown.

4. Check the Event Viewer if this fixed your problem we will be able to start seeing why Terraria is crashing. You may need to reproduce the crash at this point to start seeing it in the event viewer. If you still can't access the Event Viewer come back and let me know and we'll try something else.

-----------------------------------------Edit------------------------------------------

@Element-118 There's something I found relevant to your crashing in the solar eclipse... it might work. They were able to stop the crashes by turning off the Steam Cloud feature with Terraria both characters and worlds if you need to know how to do that let me know, then check to see if it fixed your crashes.

If this doesn't work then our best bet is still the event viewer.

Last edited:
Alright this registry file is going to delete the key causing the problem associated with the event viewer. After Restarting you computer it should regenerate the key automatically. If it doesn't, or we still can't access the event viewer we'll try some other solutions to repair the snap in. Follow the steps below. If one of the steps doesn't make sense let me know and I'll clarify.

1. Create a system restore point. This is in case things go bad, which they shouldn't, but caution never hurts. Open a file explorer and paste the following: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System then on the left hand side you should see something that says "System Protection. Click it and a new window will appear, in the bottom right corner of this new window you will see a button that says "Create" click it. Then give it a brief name, doesn't matter what it is. Afterwards click Create.

2. Download the Reg File, I've included the link, click it and it will open up a web page. Click Download and you should receive a file called "EventViewerRefresh.reg" double click this file and run it, then will ask you if you trust the source select yes and it will make the changes to the registry.

3. Restart your computer, full shutdown.

4. Check the Event Viewer if this fixed your problem we will be able to start seeing why Terraria is crashing. You may need to reproduce the crash at this point to start seeing it in the event viewer. If you still can't access the Event Viewer come back and let me know and we'll try something else.

-----------------------------------------Edit------------------------------------------

@Element-118 There's something I found relevant to your crashing in the solar eclipse... it might work. They were able to stop the crashes by turning off the Steam Cloud feature with Terraria both characters and worlds if you need to know how to do that let me know, then check to see if it fixed your crashes.

If this doesn't work then our best bet is still the event viewer.
First Disabling the Cloud does not work for me i tried it before and nothing , I just do not Understand Fully what i should backup , None of my discs had Protection Enabled and it is needed to be on in order for Creating A backup to be possible , So First My System is on the C disk while i got steam and downloads on the D disk , How should i backup both , Should i backup the Full system and files or just Files on both discs ,

Also i wanted to ask you if you have Discord , There is Screen Share And it could make this way faster while you are online if so Give me your name and tag

Sure we can communicate over discord to expedite the process. I'll PM you the details, just know I do have a prior obligation today so at some point I will need to just leave.

----------------------------Edit---------------------------

We applied the registry fix, which did nothing. We messed around with some in game settings and turned on frameskip. We went awhile with no crash, so that's a good sign. If someone else comes across this thread through google, messing around with any of the video settings could have fixed it but it's hard to say at this point without access to the event viewer.

-----------------------------Edit 2------------------

The user hasn't crashed in 3 days I'm considering this problem resolved for now.

Last edited:
Hello, im getting same problem =/ When i save and exit its like a 50 % chans i crash so everything on the charecter is saved but the worlds dosn't uppdate

Playing on a Windows 10, Grafic card GeForce GTX 1050 Intel Core i5-7300 CPU 2.5 GHz 64 bit
Tried most of the stepps u have explained but nothing works. Can't seem to unistall .Net Framework since i have a "new version" that i can't find.
But i have reinstalld XNA
Made sure im Admin
Verified my game in steam-propeties- local finles
Reinstalled the game

2018-05-17 17:01:42: Unhandled Exception
Culture: sv-SE
Exception: System.IO.IOException: Processen kan inte komma åt filen (Process cant get access to file) C:\Users\anton\OneDrive\Dokument\My Games\Terraria\Worlds\Katgar.wld eftersom den används i en annan process.(Because its used in another process)
vid System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
vid System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
vid System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
vid Terraria.Utilities.FileUtilities.Write(String path, Byte[] data, Int32 length, Boolean cloud)
vid Terraria.IO.WorldFile.saveWorld(Boolean useCloudSaving, Boolean resetTime)
vid Terraria.WorldGen.SaveAndQuitCallBack(Object threadContext)
vid System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(Object state)
vid System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
vid System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
vid System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
vid System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
vid System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

Please help love this game but right now its unplayable

Your problem is actually a different problem than the previous user but I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Are you running any mods? Do you have multiple versions of Terraria open?

If you'd like to try reinstalling .Net, I'll need a bit more info on why you can't seem to uninstall. Can you tell me the steps you're taking to uninstall .Net? You should be able to uninstall .Net from the Program and Features section in the control panel the same way you'd uninstall any other program. Could you screenshot me the error .Net is giving you when you try to uninstall it?

I don't have multiple versions of Terraria
I havn't installed any mods. So no

It says i have the same version or a newer uppdate installed.
And why i seach for it in Uninstall programs i cant find it. in Apps and funktions --> Unistall
Only other framework program i have is Inter(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framwork, but don't think its that since im not alowed to remove it

as.PNG

I looked into this and it seems that Microsoft in their infinite wisdom decided to make it so users can't uninstall the .Net Framework. The closest thing we can do is this:

1. Paste Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features in your file explorer URL.

2. On the left hand side click "Turn Windows feature on and off"

3. Find .net 4.x and 3.x and uncheck their boxes so that they are turned off. Reboot your computer.

4. Repeat steps 1 and 2, find the .net 4.x and 3.x and recheck their boxes so that they are now turned on. Reboot your computer.

5. Check to see if that fixed your problem.

Another thing people have reported this problem when a program is attempting to sync files at the same time Terraria is trying to save a file. So what programs do you have installed that would do this? One user reported a program called Google Drive installed "Backup and Sync" causing this issue. If you have this installed attempt to turn it off and see if it fixes your issue. If not, see what other programs you have installed designed to sync folders across networks or computers. If you aren't sure get me a screenshot of all the programs you have installed.

Another thing you can try is disabling Terraria cloud sync. To do this right click Terraria in steam and select properties. Then switch to the "Updates" tab and and make sure the steam cloud feature is unchecked. Then see if it fixes your problem.

qJjHDSo.png

If none of that helps or you need me to explain better come back and let me know.

Tried playing 20 min and didn't crash so far! Il try more tonight and tell you how it went! But thanks for help <3

Okey played now for like 2h, and the same thing happend again when i pressed Save and Exit, it freezes then shuts down. Its the same error log as my last post.
Did what u asked me with both .Net and Frame
I have Unchecked the Steam Cload in Uppdates also

Do you have any sort of Google Drive utility installed? Can you get me a screenshot of the programs you have installed? I want to check them out to see if any of them could be conflicting.

You can find this by using the Program and Features setting of windows, pretend like you're going to uninstall something, but instead get me a screenshot of everything there.

Okay, let's start with Google drive specifically since I have heard of conflicts in the past.

So you have a program called "Backup and Sync" right? If you uninstall that, do you still get that crash? (Don't worry your files will still be available from Google drive)

As for where to go to screenshot:

1. On the Start menu, enter Control Panel in the search box and select Control Panel from the results.

2. Select Programs > Programs and Features

3. You should now see a list of programs. Screenshot them

There it is. I tried to turn off the cloud funktions btw dono if that will work playing atm. So far so good

Attachments

• pROG1.PNG
    pROG1.PNG
    93.2 KB · Views: 145
  • PROG2.PNG
    PROG2.PNG
    99.1 KB · Views: 139
  • PROG3.PNG
    PROG3.PNG
    46.2 KB · Views: 138
Okay at this point I'm pretty sure it's "Backup and Sync" causing the problem. If uninstalling it solves the problem let me know.

If it does solve the problem then you need to see if there's some way you can make an exception for your "My Games" folder, or at least Terraria's folder in "My Games" in Backup and Sync, or just leave it uninstalled

An easy way to solve this if you use a disc is to clean the disc. This also works for all consoles.

Back
Top Bottom