PC Terraria Refuses to Play

Treesmasher

Empress of Light
Hello all, I am currently unable to play Terraria anymore. Whenever I attempt to, it will say it is running. But, it actually will only run in the background. I am unable to actually do anything. I have deleted and reinstalled the game several times now, in the hope of fixing this problem. Any ideas? It ran completely fine a few days ago, and neither Terraria nor my computer have had any updates.

Have you rebooted your PC? That's one way to be certain no zombie processes are running… unless the Guide lets one in, that is.

This seems to happen from time to time, and while I wish I could point to a specific issue being the cause, it has to have been something that changed on your end, quite possibly Steam. I know I've seen people suddenly lose functionality after Steam updates, but I don't know what would have caused it or how to fix that . . . Steam is not my forte.

Just out of curiosity, have you verified your game cache? I would also recommend deleting the config.json file in My Games>Terraria if you try and reinstall it again, some issues seem to be tied to specific settings in that file.

I have verified it several times. It seems I can only play it by clicking on a shortcut of it. Clicking on it directly from steam does not start it. Strange stuff.

At this point my only ideas are to have you reinstall XNA 4.0 and make sure Windows 10 is up to date.

We've been seeing a lot of issues with Terraria and Windows 10 and it seems related to the way Windows 10 handles .NET - However, reinstalling .NET is not exactly easy on Windows 10. It's better to first just make sure you are updated and try XNA reinstall.

Let me know if you need help with either of those.

I am not sure how to reinstall .NET. Never knew I could. I only have the tiniest bit of knowledge when it comes to computers.

Well, in Windows 10 you can't just simply reinstall .NET

For now I'd like you to reinstall XNA and make sure Windows 10 is up to date.

To do this, first go to Control Panel > Uninstall Program (under Programs), then scroll through the list of programs until you find XNA 4.0. Right click and uninstall it. Please note that you might have multiple versions. Only uninstall the specific versions above as it might negatively affect other programs or games if you uninstall all of them. After that, go to the links below and download and reinstall XNA 4.0. You may also have to restart your computer after all this is done.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914

Back
Top Bottom