PC Terraria Running at 30 FPS capped instead of 60FPS

So a few months ago i decided to play terraria on my new pc, but there was always some sort of lag while playing it. I found out that i've got the game capped at 30FPS and for some reason can't rise it up to 60FPS. I've already tried frameskip and some setting change in the AMD Radeon settings but, altho it made the game look slightly faster, i still had the 30FPS cap and still could notice the lag (mostly when srolling items). This cap affects both window and full screen and in any resolution.Not only that but i also reinstalled the game but still with the same problem. Does anyone know any solution?

My PC specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz Quad-Core
Windows 10 (64 bit)
Radeon (TM) RX 470 Graphics 4GB
8GB RAM

Im using "Adrenalin v.18.4.1" for the AMD Graphic Drivers

Use a program such as Fraps to determine the exact FPS you get while in game. It's going to help with troubleshooting. Make sure frameskip is turned off in game. As for the Radeon settings what have you tried out? Remember you can add a profile just for Terraria. I'd like to know specifically what settings you have already tried for it. As well as what you frames are exactly for the different settings, so you'll need to use something like fraps.

Grumpy Squid - I used both Fraps and Terraria FPS Counter and both gave me a 30FPS with a drop to 26 FPS when launching the world ( something normal due to loads ). Tried with frameskip On/Off/subtle and the on is what runs better. Not only that but i also tried with and without the Radeon profile for terraria, making it run better with:

Anti-aliansing: Substitutes the game settings; 2x; Multisample
Anisotropic filtering: Substitutes the game settings; 2x; Performance quality
surface format optimization: Always on
V-Sync: Always off -------- Answer to Kazzymodus
OpenGL triple buffer: On (whatever this is)
Shader Cache: AMD Optimized
Mosaic Mode or Mosaic Layout (dunno the correct translation) : AMD Optimized
AMD FreeSync : AMD Optimized
FPS control: 60FPS

So far with everything i tried, the games runs better with frameskip on and with those settings but still runs at 30 fps and i can see the "lag" when scrolling and such

Grumpy Squid - I used both Fraps and Terraria FPS Counter and both gave me a 30FPS with a drop to 26 FPS when launching the world ( something normal due to loads ). Tried with frameskip On/Off/subtle and the on is what runs better. Not only that but i also tried with and without the Radeon profile for terraria, making it run better with:

Anti-aliansing: Substitutes the game settings; 2x; Multisample
Anisotropic filtering: Substitutes the game settings; 2x; Performance quality
surface format optimization: Always on
V-Sync: Always off -------- Answer to Kazzymodus
OpenGL triple buffer: On (whatever this is)
Shader Cache: AMD Optimized
Mosaic Mode or Mosaic Layout (dunno the correct translation) : AMD Optimized
AMD FreeSync : AMD Optimized
FPS control: 60FPS

So far with everything i tried, the games runs better with frameskip on and with those settings but still runs at 30 fps and i can see the "lag" when scrolling and such
Try turning off triple buffering (it's comparable to V-Sync and might be what's causing the issue).

I tried Triple Buffering and AMD Freesync On, Off and alternated but nothing changed. could it be a game related bug related to AMD itself?

Latest Recommended drivers, but this also affected me in the previous version " v17 ". To be honest i think i never ran the game at 60FPS in this PC (dont remember how it was when i first played it)

Some solutions other have had with a similar problem:

1. Alt tab out of the game, then alt tab back in. If that doesn't uncap the frame rate move on to step 2

2. Change lighting to retro. if it's still locked to 30 move to step 3.

3. Delete config.json located in \Documents\My Games\Terraria

Try these and let me know if any fixes your issue.

so All of them did nothing BUT i found out that i get the 30FPS cap when playing native resolution (1920x1080 Fullscreen)

For what i've seen so far i can play in window with 60FPS if lower than 1920x1080 ( only tested with 800x600 at the moment )

So at what resolutions then do you get what fps?

Change to window mode, and slowly ramp up the resolution and let me know the results of when it switches, further more, do you get any kind of variable frame rate or is it either 30 or 60?

One more thing, can I get the model number of you monitor?

Ok, so for what i tried, FPS from the MENU rose to 60 instead of 30 but stuck at 30FPS ingame with a 34FPS max achieved.
i tried window and fullscreen but no fix

my monitor is actually a ""sheepy"" TV my family got me, its a 32" Crown Tv (from japan) but, when linked via HMDI to my old pc (HP Pavillion v7/v8) the game would run normaly in 60FPS with a 1920x1080 resolution.

the specs were lower than my actual pc (but i dont remember them) and the only thing i remember is the NVIDIA GPU it had would run the vanilla game perfectly

Okay, Let's try this, I don't know what options the AMD Control Center specifically has so just use some kind of estimate. If you're not sure what to use tell me what options there is. We basically want to turn the amd settings to off or use in game settings if that's an option.

AMD Settings:
  • Anti-Aliasing: Off (or use Game Settings)
  • Antisotropic Filtering: Off (or use Game Settings)
  • Surface Format Optimization: Off (or use Game Settings)
  • V-Sync: Always off
  • OpenGL Triple Buffer: Off (or use Game Settings)
  • Shader Cache: ??? (No idea what the options are, if there's use in game settings pick that if not then you can leave this at AMD optimized)
  • Mosaic Layout: ??? (No idea what the options are, if there's use in game settings pick that if not then you can leave this at AMD optimized)
  • AMD FreeSync : Off
  • FPS control: ??? (No idea what the options are, if there's Uncapped or Unlimited pick that if not then you can leave this at 60 FPS)
After we've turned off these settings, or set them to use in game settings I want you to turn to the lowest settings for Terraria. at 1920*1080. Tell me the frames, if it's 60 start turning on settings one by one and let me know when and what setting will drop it.

I was able to turn every setting off and turned the game to the lowest settings and i noticed i had 30 FPS with 1920*1080 with fullscreen on Menu while on window i had 45 to 54 FPS. Sadly once i joined ingame both had 30 FPS cap.
I also tried FPS control at 60FPS (instead of turned off/uncapped) but same results.

Still wondering, the game has a bug with 1920*1080 with AMD graphics?

It's hard to say, the capping is truly bizarre to me. With V-Sync off and frame skipping off there shouldn't be anything capping your frames. So it's truly unusual that something still is....

An RX470 shouldn't have any issues with performance for Terraria either so it's not that...

Hmmm... Okay, what if we reinstall your video drivers?

AMD RX 470 Drivers for Windows 10
AMD RX 470 Drivers for Windows 7

Download and run what I linked, when preforming the installation you need to do the custom setup not the express setup. It may also be called the advanced setup. The reason for doing this is there should be a checkbox that says "Preform Clean Installation". That's what we're going to want to press.

I really hope this works for you, let me know if it solves your problem.

upload_2018-6-6_13-59-21.png

Followed what you said and updated my drivers to 18.5.1 but i think this image tells everything

Hmmmm.... Okay let's try two different things here.

Use Windows Update, and make sure you're running the latest windows update. They fixed something back in February where some games had their FPS accidentally hard capped. If you've confirmed you're running the latest update and still no dice then let's move to the next thing.

It could be a Windows Power Saving setting mucking things up. Open up a file explorer or the Control Panel and paste this into the URL bar. Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options

Make sure High Performance is selected, if you don't see it then there should be an arrow towards the bottom next to "Show Additional Plans" it should then list High performance as an option, select it, then see if it fixes your problem. If you are on a laptop then at this time you need to be plugged in to an outlet.

See if either of those works for you.

I updated my windows to the latest version and changed from "Balanced" to "High performance" in the control panel like you said, restarted pc and...
upload_2018-6-8_16-15-59.png

Using a different char. and world ( Still in the lowest settings )

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-8_16-14-12.png
    upload_2018-6-8_16-14-12.png
    307.6 KB · Views: 589
What other games or 3d applications do you have that also do this? If you launch another game does it also get capped to 30?

Edit: If you don't own any others to your knowledge then you can download a free to play game like TF2 and see if you can hit 60fps within that game.

Furthermore lets verify your display device is being seen as a 60hz display. Right click your desktop and select to change your resolution. Then find where it says "Advanced Settings" click it then switch to the Monitor tab and see if it says 60Hz in the selection box, if not change it to 60 then launch Terraria.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom