PC Terraria Running at 30 FPS capped instead of 60FPS

well, 8 months ago +- i had a problem with Phantom Breaker : Battle Grounds where it would hard cap the game at 30 but they patched it. that was the only game i encounter capped until terraria. TF2, CS:GO, RL, Borderlands, Nier:Automata (and so on the list) are fine with 60 or 60+ FPS.

The monitor was with 59Hz. I changed it to 60Hz and launched Terraria but still the same outcome...

Maybe disabling the integrated graphics chip might help?

Do you know what motherboard you have? If you don't you can use a program called CPU-Z, run it, then switch to the "Mainboard" tab and screenshot it for me. I want to walk you through the steps to disable the integrated chip as detailed as possible, so knowing your motherboard will help me out with this.

Sorry we haven't found a solution so far, this is a perplexing issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Okay, so I was able to test this on a rig running the RX 580 and was able to hit 60 fps. So I don't believe the problem has to do with AMD Hardware/Drivers capping the framerate at specific resolutions. I mean, technically the problem could be isolated to just the Radeon RX 4 Series but I doubt that as well.

What this translates to is that there is something about your setup causing an issue. So the good news is your problem is fixable, we just have to find the right solution. Lets start with disabling the integrated graphics, for that I need to know what motherboard you have.

Last edited:
upload_2018-6-10_15-51-51.png

is this?

Yup that's it, I was limited on what I could find out, so bare with me here.

1. Shutdown your computer
  2. Turn on your computer, mash the delete key on your keyboard as soon as you press the power button to turn it on
  3. This should take you into the BIOS, you'll want to navigate to the screen below:
wqy3je7.png

4. Click on "Integrated Graphics Configuration"
5. If there is an off setting, select it, if you're not sure take a picture with your phone and upload it here.

If at any point your not sure what to press it is much better to just take a picture with your phone and upload it here. Messing with options you are unsure about could have negative consequences. So just let me know what you see on your end through pictures in the event you're not sure what to click.

It might take a while because i just found out that my BIOS doesn't want me in, i tried to follow the steps but either it kicks me out after a few secs or it freezes.

That's a very worrisome sign actually. Could you describe to me what you mean after it kicks you out? Does the system appear to restart or something else?

The BIOS freezing is a pretty bad sign, is the freezing consistent when attempting to get into the setup? Meaning does it happen every time? So does it freeze and then reboots the computer?

IMG_20180610_233928_HHT.jpg

So, i can access those hidden "boxes" but i can't make the changes needed due to lack of time to do so. After launching the BIOS i have roughly 2 seconds before it: 1- restarts pc or 2- crashes. This "Black bars" only appear here.

Edit: So far i have tried it only ends up in those 2 situations

yikes. okay so something has corrupted your BIOS. The solutions we are about to take are for advanced users, but not doing something about this can lead to bigger problems down the road. The first step we are going to do is refreshing the CMOS then if that doesn't work we'll need to flash your BIOS. This is going to require that you open up the side of your computer.

I looked up your motherboard to see how you specifically are going to be doing this but I have some preliminary questions: Did you buy your computer pre-built or did you build your computer? Do you know where your jumper cap is or what that is?

I'll need to check how i do those things first in order to have it fixed within this week.
This computer was built by both me and a family member and i dont know where the jumper cap is, but wont be hard to find with internet help.

Okay check the box the motherboard came in or ask a family member if they did anything with the jumper cap. If you can't locate your jumper cap you can always buy a new one. (it's a shame they only come in bulk orders) but here you go: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell®-2-54mm-Standard-Circuit-Shunts/dp/B00HR8DGZO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1528678236&sr=8-5&keywords=jumper+cap

I recommend having the family member who helped you build it present before proceeding. Remember to do this while the computer is off and not plugged into an outlet

1. Turn off your computer.

2. Unplug the power cable from the PSU so that it is not plugged into the wall

3. Hold the power button for 5 seconds while the computer is not plugged in

4. Open the side panel of your case so you can see the motherboard.

5. Next to your graphics card are two small pins with a little cap approximatley located here:

6NCQvtK.png

6. Remove the cap on those 2 small pins

7. Place your jumper cap on the two small pins.

8. Count to 10

9. Remove your jumper cap from the 2 small pins

10. Place the other cap back on the 2 small pins (your jumper cap should no longer be on the motherboard, this is very important jumper caps are only used while the power is off then you need to remove it)

11. Plug your computer back into the wall

12. Turn on your computer

13. Enter the bios and see if the problem is resolved.

Here is the manual page for clearing cmos on your motherboard for reference:

at0uzd6.png

If you have any questions let me know. Afterwards lets see if we can then disable the integrated graphics and make terraria run at full performance.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delayed answer, but had exams and couldn't fix it.

So, I did do the jumper thing without a jumper because my pc didn't bring one and couldn't get one. The motherboard didn't fix 100%, same problem occured and, after a few good hours i managed to get inside the BIOS but everything was in japanesse and kinda buggy. Since i didnt understand what was going on i decided to restart pc

We can try flashing the BIOS then at this point. Download the new BIOS Version, then follow this tutorial that I found for your motherboard. (sorry that I was unable to find a better quality one but it should do the trick.)

If it's in a different language then I recommend counting the possible selections to click what you need to. For instance:
  • M-Flash is the 4th Tab from the left.
  • After viewing the tab the thing you need to click should be the only option available.
  • The BIOS you select should also be the only option available.
If you have any questions let me know. Once it finishes updating let me know if the BIOS is less buggy and if it's in the correct language.

so yesterday I played the game and reached my 250 hours, all in perfect condition, until today I get in the game and see that it is locked at 30 fps in fullscreen mode, I always played at 60 fps in perfect condition, I have the same problem, I have an AMD R7 370 video card and an FX8320E processor, I've tried everything listed above, and nothing solves, just when I put in window mode / bordered window mode it gets to 60 fps in 1920x1080, managed to solve?

i still have this issue in terraria since 1.2 came out, but last year i bought a Amd Ryzen 5 3400g and i use Vega 11 Gpachs and i get the 30 fps cap in terraria still i don't really think is my Hardware cuz i hav 4gb ram 2666mhz and i also lost a 4gb this month by a energy drop i had 8gb 2666mhz ddr4 and still got that wierd 30 fps cap, what should i do?????

I also have this problem! AMD Ryzen 5 3400G With Vega 11 graphics and i get the 30 fps cap! That's Terrible....Anybody please,find out the solution!
UPD: I turned on Enchanced sync in AMD software and thats solved my problem! Have some tearing but playable!
UPD2: Enhanced sync is working 50\50.And yes and also No. I Hate that problem...

Final UPD: Hey.Looks like i've found the solution! Did you tried to Turn off "Wave quality" setting and restart the game? Try it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom